The Love that was mine

The Love that was mine


"Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place."

 - Zora Neale Hurston 
 
 
CHAPTER 23
 

“Where are we going?” Yoona asked for the tenth time. They were walking hand in hand towards the spot where Siwon left his car.

“I just want to spend some time with you; I hope it’s okay...”

Yoona smiled. “It’s fine with me, but...” she studied Siwon’s face, his expression was bright; as it was the day she had first met him. She could still feel his vibrant energy; it did not seem to waver after all those tiring games he had been through. But Yoona still could not erase this growing anxiety upon seeing, with her own eyes, the effort he puts in everything he does, in basketball, and in academics, this past few weeks. It’s hard to juggle two things at the same time. Doesn’t he feel even in the least bit exhausted?

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Siwon asked, conscious at the look Yoona had been giving him.

Without realizing it, Yoona’s hand travelled up to Siwon’s hair and stayed down to his cheek. She caressed it softly. “you should rest, you’ve been working your body nonstop. If you don’t take good care of your body after overusing it, you will get sick...”she stopped. Siwon was looking at her in a way that made her chest go wild.

“w-what?”

“nothing...” Siwon reached up, took her hand and kissed her palm. “don’t worry about me, I don’t get sick easily...”

Yoona sighed. “you’re working so hard. You’re not a robot you know.”

“I’m fine, you worry too much...”Siwon smiled and pinched her cheek, a habit he cannot seem to let go. “shall we go? I really want to bring you to this place...”

“Okay, but afterwards, promise me that you will rest okay? When you get home. No extra work and the likes.”

“I promise.” His hand slid down to hers, fingers interlocking. “Let’s go.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Where are we going really?” Yoona asked. They were travelling for almost an hour now and she could see, from the cars’ window, that the road they had taken had become a tad darker, the trees looming in the sidewalk. The sun had set, and they were out from the outskirts of the city.

“We’re almost there.” was Siwon’s only reply.

After a few minutes, Siwon hit the brakes. “we’re here.” He went out, and opened the car door at Yoona’s side. She went out of the car.

They were at a vast, deserted clearing surrounded by large trees. The land was boarded with wooden gates, and a few meters inside it, was a little wooden hut. The overall surrounding was pitch black, except from the light that was radiating from the wooden hut.

Siwon held her arm. “shall we?”

Yoona was puzzled, but obliged. They walked forward, and passed through the wooden gates, there was a sign board set on the nearest tree, but she could not see what was written in it. She stumbled upon a little rock, her vision still unaccustomed to the dark. Siwon was her only source of guidance. She knows that they were advancing quite further from the entrance gate. If her calculation is right, a little bit of walking and they will reach the center of the clearing.

A few more steps and they stopped. After a fraction of a second, as Yoona were about to ask Siwon what the hell is going on, everything went absolutely...dazzling.

Yoona stood rooted, as a tree, after the other was lightened up, as if a fairy had cast her spell upon every piece of tree on the land. The light was the same as that of the stars above, which made it all the more amazing. The darkness before were embroidered with sparkling light, it was like the continuation of the heavenly skies. It seems like the stars, which were in fact millions of miles away, were gathered just within her reach.

“I know the travel is tiresome, and you are probably hungry and pissed...”

Yoona looked at Siwon, her eyes gleaming. “It’s beautiful...”

Siwon smiled tenderly. “I’m glad you like it. Do you want to sit down?” he gestured downwards.

Yoona followed his hand, it was only then that she saw a blanket spread invitingly on the grass. “s-sure.” She took her shoes off and sat down, Siwon followed suit.

“It’s been a while since I last set foot in a place like this.” Yoona stated, still grinning.

“and when was that?” Siwon asked.

“It was...” when Donghae oppa was still alive. “...nevermind...I forgot...” she took her socks off, hoping that Siwon did not notice her lie. “Where did you find this place anyway?”

“online.” Siwon answered. He did not seem to notice. “I was browsing the internet and I found this place. It’s a restaurant actually.”

“really?” Yoona glanced around. “but how can it be? There are no tables....”

Siwon was laughing. “It’s not the usual restaurant, my little kitten. The owner wanted to have a picnic-feel restaurant. Instead of tables, he provided blankets, where his costumers could enjoy lying down on the grass, while talking to his family...or to his lover...that wooden house is where orders are usually taken, like a counter in a usual restaurant.”

“self-service? There are no waiters...”

Siwon shook his head. “None. Although there are quite a few people who prepares everything before the guest arrives. They spread this blanket and set the food in It.” and he gestured towards a basketful of food placed at the foot of the blanket. Yoona did not even notice it.

Speaking of food...

Yoona reached for the basket and started to peel off the foil that was covering what seemed to be a sandwich. Siwon was amused. “Are you that hung—mmmn“

Siwon did not finish what he was about to say as Yoona shoved the sandwich down to his mouth. he chocked. “hey, aw wu taying no mill me?”

“what?” Yoona could not understand what he was saying.

He chewed the food and swallowed it in. He took out a bottle of water from the basket and drank from it. When he finished, he looked at Yoona, “are you trying to kill me?”

“what? No!”

“then why did you shove it down my throat? I felt like I was being strangled.” His brow furrowed, pretending to be mad.

Yoona was taken aback at his angry expression. “Sorry, it’s just that, when you mentioned about food, I remembered that you didn’t eat yet, I was sure that you were overexerting yourself again during your practice earlier, even if I didn’t see it. And you immediately came to pick me up, so there was no time to feed yourself...”

Since she was looking down at her knees, like a child aware of her own mistake, she did not see Siwon’s amused yet tender expression. He straightened in his seat and set his face in its angry form. “You could have just told me you know...”

Yoona was still looking at her knees. “I know and I’m sorry...” she was still contemplating about what she had done when she heard this faint choking sound, like someone is trying to suppress something from coming out. When she raised her head, Siwon was red with trying to stifle his laugh. And then she realized how a fool she had been... “Were you just pretending to be angry?”

Siwon couldn’t hold it any longer, he laughed so hard Yoona’s eyes became slits. “I can’t believe you fell for that...”

Her eyebrows arched, eyes narrowed. She looked more like a cat getting ready to smack her prey. “Oh...so you were just fooling around...I really, in the bottom of my whole being, hate you.” She stood up and walked briskly away, barefooted.

Uh-oh. Siwon stopped laughing and immediately followed her. It seemed that what he had done was too much. Oh you didn’t realize it yet, idiot? She was worried about you, but you still managed to make fun of her. He thought guiltily.

Yoona was walking so fast that Siwon barely caught up with her before she reached the entrance gate. He pulled and forced her to face him. Siwon saw the intensity of what he had done. She was so furious she looked like she could eat him alive. “Let me go...” and she brushed him off.

He took hold of her arm again. “please don’t do this...” he knew that he was actually begging, but he doesn’t care. “I’m an idiot, I’m really, really sorry...”

He heard her utter a choking sound, and then was followed by-to his astonishment-sheer laughter. She was laughing so hard that her eyes became watery. Siwon was staring at her in befuddlement.

“I can’t believe you fell for that!” she moved away from him. 

Siwon chuckled as he realized that she was just taking her own revenge. He put his hands to his waist. “really...you fooled me...”

Yoona gave him a sneering look. “how does it feel? Taking your own brand of medicine...?and what did you say again...” she mimicked Siwon’s pleading voice in an exaggerated way. “please don’t do this. I’m an idiot, I’m really, really sorry...HAHAHAHA. you look like an injured puppy”

She stopped laughing when she saw him smirk. He took a step forward, then another one, and another one. “what are you—“ and before she knows it, he was running full force towards her.

Her reflexes were quick, she ran away from him as well. “why are you chasing me?” she shouted, amused.

“I will commence my revenge as well...” and he ran twice as much towards her.

Yoona laughed. “oh no sweetheart, I’m a champion at this kind of game. I’ve won trophies and the likes. You are a captain of the basketball team, yes, but you’re still far behind.” She said in a mocking tone, all the while running to keep the distance between them large.

Siwon laughed. “are you challenging me, darling? Then...bring it on.” And he quickened his pace.

It was the first time in a few years that Yoona had to run like this. She felt the night breeze in her bare face, her pulsating muscles, now alive after years of sleeping. She had enjoyed this sport so much, because it gives her this overwhelming sense of freedom. In running she could feel that she can almost fly.

She turned her head, and found out that Siwon was already three feet apart. He was catching up, at an increasing rate too. The lights coming from the trees were dancing in his eyes.

“be careful! There’s a rock before you!” Yoona shouted.

Siwon sniggered. “Cheating is not allowed!”

Yoona tried to accelerate up a notch, but tough luck, her leg muscles were protesting already.

“Watch out!” she heard Siwon’s shout. But it was too late; her right foot had caught a tree root, and lost her balance. She felt herself slowly falling down towards the grass, when Siwon’s arm clasped around her waist. He pulled her up, which made him lost his bearings as well. They lurched to the ground, Siwon’s back in contact of the grass and Yoona on top of him.

“are you alright?” Siwon asked with obvious concern, his breath fanning her face.

“y-yeah...I think so...” she looked at him, and suddenly she became aware of their odd position. She was on top of him, and their face was so close, their lips only a few centimetres apart. Yoona immediately scrambled upright. She turned around and composed herself.

She was about to face Siwon when she was suddenly swept off her feet. She was so surprised that she shrieked. Siwon was carrying her effortlessly.

“what the hell Choi Siwon?” Yoona asked.

He was laughing. She felt his strong arms in both her back and knees. “I caught you didn’t I? so this is my revenge.”

“put me down!” she protested.

But he did not follow her. He walked towards the blanket, smiling. When they reached it, he slowly put Yoona down, and sat opposite her.

Yoona was glaring at him.

He laughed. “what did I do to deserve that glare?” he asked, eyebrows arched.

“you took me by surprise, I felt like my heart would pop out.” She continued to look at him menacingly.

Siwon took out a chocolate cake from the basket. It was placed inside a plastic box, so he opened the cover. He took a spoonful of it and feed it straight to Yoona’s mouth.

She was forced to swallow it. the cake melted in her tongue, and she savoured the sweet taste of it. “I can feed myself.”

Siwon just smiled and offered another spoonful. She closed tightly, making a point at what she had said.

He shook his head. “if you won’t swallow it then I’ll...tickle you..”

She stared at him, her eyes slits, and shook her head ferociously.

“okay, you asked for it.” Siwon quickly grabbed her before she started to get away. he tickled her in the waist. She was laughing so hard, while trying to get away. When she couldn’t, she reached up and tickled him in too. They were rolling on the blanket, laughing and trying to get away from one another. When Yoona could no longer find the strength to even raise her head, she uttered. “HAHAHA...okay, okay...I’ll eat it...stop it...I’m dying...HAHAHA!”

Siwon stopped. He too was getting a bit weary. The laughter slowly died down, and the two were lying by their sides on the blanket, facing each other. Siwon was staring at her, eyes smiling.

“what?” Yoona asked, breaking the silence.

He reached out and brushed his hand at her soft hair. “You’re lovely.”

Her heart started to pump at an increasing rate. She avoided his eyes, because if she didn’t she might find herself drowning at his stare. She does not know how to respond, or rather, her tongue was all tied up. She raised herself up and sat a few inches away. “y-you’re speaking nonsense, you’re hungry, aren’t you?” she asked, busying herself with peeling of another piece of sandwich.

Siwon sat down as well, staring at her. He released a heavy sigh.

This made Yoona look up at him. He was staring at her, smiling mildly. His eyes were full of tenderness which made her look down again. She was trying to control her racing chest.

“you’re still not used to compliments? You’re blushing.” He teased.

She raised her head, and stared directly at his eyes. The tenderness had vanished; it was again replaced with playfulness. “I’m not blushing, and besides, how can you tell? It’s dark.”

Siwon laughed. “oh...so you---mmmnn”

Yoona had again shoved the sandwich down his mouth. She laughed at Siwon’s disgruntled expression. When he swallowed the food, he coughed. “You are trying to kill me.” he stated.

She smiled. “of course not, I was just feeding you. As what I’ve said before, I know you didn’t eat before we came here...w-what?” she asked. He was looking at her in this odd way again.

He smiled lazily. “nothing...you worry too much...I’m fine, really...I’m not exhausted and I certainly am not overexerting myself.”

“don’t fool me Choi Siwon. I was there in every practice and game you did. You’re still a high school student. The amount of load you are carrying is enough to make you sick.”

“those workloads are the same as what my other comrades carry. But none of them got sick.” He argued.

“yeah...but believe me, someone is nagging them about this issue as well. One does not let a person do the things you do in excess, especially when that person is someone you really care about—“ Yoona stopped. It was too late to take her words back.

Siwon was smiling from ear to ear. “you care about me?”

She could not answer, as she was astonished as well at the words that she had released. Was that just a mere slip of the tongue? Or did she really mean it? a fierce battle issued in her mind.

What I said is really stupid.

But it’s true isn’t it? that you care about him. a part of her brain argued.

No, it was just me trying to prove my point.

Nah, don’t try to fool yourself Yoona. What about that worry you feel whenever you see him overworked? Isn’t that an indication?

The silent battle continued until she looked up and stared at Siwon’s face. Upon looking at him, her expression softens, a change she did not even notice. Yeah. I care about you. But you don’t have to know that.

She took another kind of food from the basket. “EAT.” She said.

Siwon looked at her. he knew that she was just trying to avoid the question. But he did not press her though. Action speaks louder than voice.

“only if you feed it to me”

She playfully glared at him. “you’re not a kid anymore.”

He acted like a baby with tantrums. “no! I want mommy to feed it to me!”

She laughed. “what a spoiled baby.” She took a spoonful of the food she had opened and offered it to him. “here...”

Siwon accepted it with his mouth oh so eagerly. “It’s daddy’s turn to feed you.” And he made her swallow a bit of the unfinished cake.

They were feeding one another for a period of time. Teasing and laughing and making fun of each other. Yoona was enjoying every second of it, so did Siwon

Their stomachs were fit to burst after devouring every piece of food on the basket. Siwon was feeling his stomach. “ahhh...I’m so full...”

Yoona burped. “yeah...me too...” she looked at her watch. It was almost 10 o’clock in the evening. She did not notice the time, as she was enjoying this trip with Siwon.

“you want to go home?” Siwon asked. He noticed her looking at her watch.

She looked at him, before she could stop herself, she answered. “no, of course not. I want to stay.”

His lips curved into a very bright smile. He tapped the space next to him, signalling her to sit beside him. Yoona smiled and moved. When she had sat next to him, his hand automatically rested around her shoulder.

They were silent. Siwon was gazing at the sky above. Yoona stared at it too. perhaps because it was already late at night, the sky above were rinred with stars. She even saw some famous constellations. There was the Big dipper, Orion, Cassiopeia and many others.

“It’s really beautiful in here.” She sighed.

“yeah it is.” Siwon responded. His eyes were still fixed to the stars. Yoona stared at him, and she noticed a little bit of sadness in his eyes.

“what are you thinking?” she asked.

Siwon glanced at her, then looked back at the sky. “I just...I remembered being in this kind of place when I was a child. You know, when dad and hyung was still alive...”

Yoona nodded and did not respond. She still quite remember all of the details surrounding their deaths, and until now, it gives her a lonely feeling.

“we, as a family, used to go on vacation once in two months. My dad would bring us in mountains and places like this. He called it our family’s ‘nature tripping’.”

“you must have enjoyed it immensely...” Yoona said.

“Yeah, I did. Very.” He became silent for a while, then he spoke in a lively voice, “I wanted to be an astronaut when I was young.”

Yoona smiled. “you were influenced with those trip didn’t you?”

“yes. And my dad was very supportive, he would buy me astronaut costumes and stuff, and my room was full of stars and types of galaxies.”

“is it still full of stars until now?” she teased.

He chuckled. “no, my room now is very much star-free. My mom disposed all of it a few days after my dad and brother’s death.” There was a hint of bitterness in his voice.

She frowned. “why?”

“I suffered from severe trauma after that incident. I would not talk to anyone, not even my mother. I had this blank expression, mom said. I would wake up in the middle of the night, shouting like mad. I refrained from sleeping in my room because of those decorations. Whenever I see them, I remember dad and then I remembered the way he died. I would shout nonstop again, because as a child, I do not know how to handle the pain. and so mom tore them all.”

Yoona was surprised to know this bit of information. She knew about the incident, but she didn’t know anything about the effect it had on Siwon as a child. It was the same as what she had become when her parents died. “how did you surpass those moments?”

He smiled. “child counselling, mom, Eunhyuk and Tiffany. Mom had the greatest contribution, it was really painful for her, she had lost both her husband and son, and she had to see me in that state. Everyday. But she was really patient, she brought me to this child counsellor, tried to cheer me up, she did everything, perhaps even more than a mother could have done. Because of her love, I returned back to normal, bit by bit. Eunhyuk and Tiffany would always visit me, and talk to me even if I don’t give them a single response. I was lucky to have them.”

“and I’m sure they were lucky to have you too...” she smiled at him.

“I hope so...” he returned the smile.

They were silent for a while before Yoona broke the silence. “You can still become an astronaut you know, with your brains...”

He laughed. “Nah...that was my childhood ambition, back when I was still innocent. As I grew up, I learned that thousands of workers were supported by my father’s business. I wanted to continue the progress by which my father, and now my mother, had done.”

“you will do great I’m sure of that...” she yawned.

Siwon chuckled and pinched her cheek. “I think we should go home, you’re sleepy.”

“no I’m not sleepy. It was just a habit of mine.” She protested.

“we should head home, you need to rest, and besides, your aunt might kill me if I don’t turn you in before eleven.” he then positioned himself in front of her and put her socks, then her shoes, on her feet. He tied her shoelaces neatly. The gesture made Yoona smile. “all done.” He stood up and offered his hand.

Yoona accepted it and stood up. “Okay, but you should head home after turning me in; you need rest more than I do.”

“yes mam!” and he saluted.

She slapped his arm, which made Siwon laugh. “I’m still your favourite punching bag”

“geez.” And she glared at him.

Siwon then looked at her, his expression serious. “Thank you.”

She gave him a questioning look. “for what?”

“for being with me.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was already half past eleven when Siwon stomped the breaks at Yoona’s house. He turned his head towards her, expecting to see her smile at him; instead, she was sleeping soundly, her whole face turned in his direction.

Her face was illuminated by the light in his car. She was dazzling, as ever, even when she was asleep. Siwon leaned a bit close and stared at her. Right now, he does not wish to wake her up. He was smiling to himself. She was as beautiful as ever.

It was the best night of his life.

He brushed the loose strand of her hair, and slowly touched her cheek. He was careful not to wake her up. His eyes travelled from her eyes, to her nose, and stayed down to her lips.

He felt this sudden pull.

He stared at it for what seemed like eternity. All thoughts were wiped out of his head. Only one thought remained, what would it be like to kiss her?

He moved closer and closer until the distance between their lips were only a little less than an inch. He could now smell her sweet scent, her hot breath...

And the ringing of his phone brought him to his senses.

He immediately pulled back, his heart still racing. what the heck... he breathed out sharply.

“Oh, we’re already here. Why didn’t you wake me up?” Yoona asked. Eyes still groggy from sleep.

Siwon stared at her, his mind was still blank. He opened his mouth. “a-ah...w-well...a-ah...”

“what’s happening to you?” she snorted. “you should answer your phone.”

“oh y-yeah...right.” he took out his phone and answered it.

“Hello, umma...? ah yes...yes...I’m on my way...yes...don’t worry...okay...bye...love you...” he then put the phone back to his pocket.

“I think your mother’s looking for you. I should go.”

Siwon was about to get out when Yoona stopped him. “no. there’s no need for you to go out. I’ll be fine. You should go home and rest.”

“are you sure?” he asked. He had now calmed down.

“yes...tonight was fun. Goodbye then.” And to his surprise, she leaned close and kissed him on the cheek. Before he could react, she had already opened the door and let herself out. She ran towards the door and did not look back.

Siwon’s smile was up to his ears as he started the ignition.

Yes. Tonight was fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^_^