Americano (21)

The Unseen And Unheard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"These are the teams for today's bells hide and seek. The chasing team will consist of Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo, whilst the rest make up the mission team."

The PD finished briefing with a sly smile. As the cameras were still rolling, some of the members had their mouths agape in reaction.

"So it's just the two of us?" Ji Hyo asked in slight disbelief. She was already feeling rather tired from the previous missions and the night was taking a toll on her energy. What if she underperformed during the game?

"Well, you said you wanted to be on Kim Jong Kook's team, but you didn't specify anyone else..."

Tuts and sounds of disapproval escaped some of the member's lips as everyone realized yet again how devious the PDs could be, but eventually everyone went ahead and changed to their respective team uniforms.

Ji Hyo was the first one to finish changing out of the entire chasing team- or in this case, the chasing duo. She sat on a bench and waited for Jong Kook to come out from the changing rooms, eventually putting her long hair into a bun to pass the time. She yawned as footsteps belonging to Jong Kook finally approached her.

"Is hair that tiring to bun up?" He teased in an attempt to relax her. Jong Kook sat in the empty space next to Ji Hyo, planning to suggest that they should strategize for the game while the staff were setting up to film the episode preview. After all, there were only two of them and so many others to catch.

"My hair isn't tiring to bun up- but waiting for you to change is! What took you so long? Did you have to fold your muscles to fit the clothes or something?"

Jong Kook was caught off-guard by her comment and let out an amused chuckle.

"I'm sorry! The uniform was a bit too tight..."

Ji Hyo took a look at his upper torso and muscles that threatened to rip the fabric, but that look turned into a gaze, and that gaze soon became a stare. Jong Kook seemed to have noticed her stare and appeared uncomfortable. Oops. She should say something.

"Yeah, I guess now you know the consequences of exercising too much huh! This-", she said while poking his arm, "is your retribution..."

"My retribution? Gosh... how long did you take to make that jab up? You're truly Blank Ji Hyo!"

Jong Kook had thought for a moment that she was staring at his physique, but of course it was just him making a big deal out of nothing. Ji Hyo was only trying to think of a joke, and the fact that she zoned out for a while to do so made Jong Kook wonder how it was possible for one to look so endearing despite being in such authoritative getup.

The staff were still setting up for the hide and seek preview scene, but a cold silence had settled between the two whilst they wallowed in their own thoughts. Jong Kook was slightly worried about their chemistry for the game later- Ji Hyo was still calling him Hyung occasionally, which he pretended to be fine with. He didn't understand how Ji Hyo and himself could be comfortable enough to pick on and argue with each other for one minute, yet become slightly formal and awkward the next. There was also the issue of how she called only him Hyung, but Jong Kook still decided to take a step out of his comfort zone and plan for the game with her.

"You know what? Let's strategize for later right now so it'll be easier to catch them."

They got up from their bench to walk around the area, looking here and there for good places to ambush the other members. Jong Kook found a signboard strategically placed behind a wall and wanted to test it as a hiding spot.

"Ji Hyo, can you see me?"

Ji Hyo turned around, she had been momentarily distracted by the rows of coffee vending machines just ten feet away, and now Jong Kook was calling her but she was unable to find him.

"Where'd you go?"

"I'm hiding... If you can't find me, it means the mission team won't either!"

She followed the sound of his voice, and caught him behind a large poster.

"Found you! But this is truly a great hiding place; when the game starts, should I try to chase the others in this direction so you'll be able to catch a few easily?"

"Yeah! That's a good strategy, you're a natural at this aren't you?"

"Don't flatter me- I know the Chasing Team uses this strategy all the time!"

He chuckled sheepishly at getting caught, admiring her knack for catching on.

"Fine fine... To your credit though? You aren't easily fooled; Guess I can't let you back on the Mission Team or we'll need new strategies..."

"Is that so? Because I have another 'strategy' that can help us later..."

Ji Hyo pointed to the vending machines.

"What do you mean?"

She looked at him with large, pleading eyes. Oh no.

"Let's get coffee to strengthen for later?"

"Umm..."

She took his hesitation as an opportunity to drag him to the vending machines.

"But Ji Hyo, I really don't drink coffee..."

"They have tea! Please... I just want to do my best for later..."

He cracked under her pouted lips and gigantic eyes.

"Fine fine! Just this once ok? Oppa will buy coffee for you... What do you want?"

"Americano~"

"You like Americano?"

"Mmhmm! It's my favorite..."

Jong Kook pressed the buttons on the machine to brew an Americano and a green tea. Then he reached into his pockets and realized they were empty.

"Aigoo... How could you say you were buying for me when you're penniless!"

Ji Hyo laughed, pulling out her own coins and inserting them into the machine as Jong Kook blushed in embarrassment.

From above, Jae Suk saw the two members of the chasing team, who appeared to be relaxed; not in the least bit panicky, as evidenced by them buying vending machine beverages.

"Yah... Look at those two! I was afraid they'd be awkward with each other, yet there they are buying drinks..."

His comment attracted the attention of the other members, who walked over to the glass panel with their respective VJs.

"That's not fair! Jong Kook Hyung never let us drink anything when we were chasing- he's so biased!" Haha complained immaturely and childishly crossed his arms with a pout.

"Does Jong Kook like Ji Hyo? If that's so-Gary you're over!"

"Ah stress! No... Jong Kook Hyung... Why can't that guy just give his loveline crown up for once, just once!"

The rest laughed at Gary's "paranoid crush" act, and continued to rest and wait for their phones to receive the mission.

Meanwhile, the staff had finished setting up for the preview filming.

"Kim Jong Kook-ssi, Song Ji Hyo-ssi, are you ready to film? There was a technical difficulty earlier, so we're s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter