Not depressed, just a feeling (Minayeon)

The adventures
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Prompt: Mina's not depressed, just likes the rain and sadness that comes with it.

Warning, slight mentions of suicidal attempts (nothing really bad), depression.

 

The first time it happens for Mina is on a break day. More so, a break night.

 

Four am.

 

She glances at the clock once, breathing even as her limbs become thick and heavy with tiredness and a tint more. It's a grim routine but she can't seem to miss it, no matter how hard she tries.

 

It's not that Mina feels depressed- having read up on the internet one day- she's really not. Just things get heavy sometimes in a way that only rain at four am can calm down. Or not, the dancer always seems to end up deeper into thoughts then started with.

 

Her eyes just blink slowly, no desire to sleep in sight, rather ironically, even if she's been awake since the previous night. Most would say that she's pitiful, others barely even sleeping an hour but that doesn't make Mina feel less like drowning.

 

It's raining. The air is cold, rather suffocating. There's no reason to be gloomy, yet she is and it baffles her to an unknown extent.

 

Nayeon's awake, she always is somehow. Mina can tell from the way the older girl's breath stops momentarily everytime a lightning bolt faintly appeared in the distance. She doesn't know when she started to hyper focus on Nayeon, maybe a few minutes ago, maybe a couple of hours ago or maybe when she first starting waking up at four when it only rained, now it was more frequent.

 

Their routine-- whatever it was supposed to be called-- differed depending on the days. Some, Nayeon started with a whispered "Hello, stranger". Some it was Mina. Mostly it was Nayeon.

 

Tonight it was Nayeon's turn.

 

Except Mina did it before she could.

 

"Unnie?"

 

"Hmm?" Nayeon's voice is a bit cracky, uneven because of the late time, but it's low and calms Mina.

 

"Why do you stay up? How do you stay up?" She whispers, careful of the others in the room.

 

"I guess I'm just attracted to you," Nayeon laughs quietly at her own joke, "I don't know, but I just don't want you to feel too alone."

 

For a few seconds, Mina's hands tense, relaxing once the older girl takes a calming breath as if sensing a pause.

 

"In any case, I like rain, you like rain, we're meant to be awake together."

 

And the conversation ends, Mina rolls over on her side, listening to the rain. While their routine might differ, the conversation doesn't. It's always about being awake. But this time however, she feels fuzzy when Nayeon whispers those last few words before falling silent.

 

Really fuzzy.

 

__

 

It's only a matter of time before the second time comes up. This particular time, directly after they got home from a concert.

 

Mina's caught a minor cold for no reason, maybe because she's situated close to the window in their shared rooms, but the manager has given her some cold pills, cough medicine and headache painkillers (because for whatever reason, she aquires headaches when she has a cold).

 

She's sitting on the toilet however, staring at the labels of the bottles with several of each pill in her palm and a capful of cough medicine.

 

There are whispers outside of the door, and Nayeon's signature whine. A few seconds later, the brunette slips in through the door, back faced towards Mina as she closes it, rapidly saying, "Sorry, Minari. Sana won't let me in the other bathroom and I have to g-"

 

"It would be interesting.." Mina pauses, looking up to a blank faced Nayeon, "to see how many of these can make me fall asleep."

 

"Those are for your cold, Mina."

 

"Yeah, but I really want to try sleeping. You know, the kind where I don't have to worry about waking up and working." She says it with a hint of desperation, watching with bleary eyes as Nayeon nimbly hops up onto the counter.

 

"Sometimes," The older starts with a tiny smile, the one that Mina somehow really loves when her front teeth stick out a bit, "We have to get over the bad things so we can get the good things,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter