008

TOXIC

+New Guy+

 

Every morning she walked to the hallway for her class and will never missed to take a glimpse at her boyfriend in the next classroom. She peeked through the window but sigh as soon as the person that she looking for was out of sight. Sehun must be skipped the lessons again, making it to his normal record to not going to school at least a day per week.

 

What she can actually do? Advice him and his friends for not skipping school? Or tell them that they need to change? It’s almost impossible as he never listens to her even once. She don’t want to recalled back to the time that he told her to just into mind her own business instead of telling him doing this and that. He wanted a girlfriend that can give freedom to him, that’s it. 

 

It’s the same concept of her to beg for his love too. She decided to stop asking him for the validation again when he had clearly told her that he just need some times and that would be more than enough for Hwayoung. It would be so nice to hear that three powerful words from him, but she happy enough when he said that he need her in his life. Maybe that is the different way of Sehun expressing his love? 

 

Sehun is fearless and EXO is powerful enough. He didn’t afraid of getting expelled or what. After all the teachers also can’t do anything to them. They might have the worst discipline but surprisingly they scored in every examination. Hwayoung had issue whether to be proud of that fact or just worry that he might be a bad example for her. As far as she aware of, most of the girls don’t really like having a troublemaker boyfriend. 

 

Re-read the text message that Sehun just sent through her mobile, her eyes were fixed on screen. Thinking a suitable sentence to reply. But then she felt like someone just tapped into her shoulder. 

 

“Hi! It’s you!” She slowly turning her head towards the voice direction. Immediately shut her phone into her skirt pocket. 

 

“Hey! You are the one that I met the other night!” Hwayoung cheerfully greet him. 

 

He scratch back of his head while displaying his wide smile. “Yes! I’m Daniel....just in case you forgot my name” 

 

To be honest she was glad he didn’t mind to repeat again his name because she just couldn’t remember even the boy had said it last time. She had no time to take an effort to remember it since her mind already occupied by her boyfriend, Sehun. She really thinks that she have no benefits to do so even though the boy already left a pretty impressive impression on her. 

 

She thought that it just a coincidence to met a stranger on a street. Not even when he had the best smiles that she ever saw, not even when he being so friendly to her when they first met, not even when he being polite to her and even praising her for her beauty. And later when he ask her to be his friend in the school, maybe she thinks that it can be worked.

 

“Ladies first” Daniel said as he hold the door for her. 

 

She smile in amusement for his kindness. Really, after being in a relationship for months with Sehun, this moment are so rare and almost impossible with him. Daniel on the side is a good boy with a good manner, very gentleman and she had to admit that he’s cute too. It’s not wrong to compliment other guy beside her own boyfriend, right? 

 

Daniel had Hwayoung all to himself for the whole day. As he is a new student, she really help him into the registration process, school tour and even introduce him to the other friends. He felt so relieved that they welcomed him and when find out that Hwayoung as his new classmate. Adjusting to new environment will be hard but having her as his new friend making everything easier. 

 

“I think everything is done now” She said to him. 

 

“I don’t know if I could finished all the registration process by today if it wasn’t by your help, Hwayoung” 

 

He didn’t have to thank her for that actually, because she will just help anyone in need. She have a kind heart and the whole school acknowledge it. That’s why they have mixed reaction when they found out that she is in relationship with Oh Sehun. 

 

“Nah— it just a small matter. Don’t worry you will be fine in this school and I believe that you will get a lot friend soon” She reassured him. 

 

“What about you?” Daniel stop at his tracks and level down his eyes to stare into her. “Can you be my friend too?” 

 

She was taken back with that but just smile in her response. “Sure! I will glad to be your friend Kang Daniel”

 

Later in the noon, Hwayoung and her best friend went to cafeteria for their lunch. Not going to disturb those two for their times, Daniel politely rejected her idea for joining them. But no matter how much he reassures her that he will be just fine on his own, she insists for him to tag along. They will just be more happy if he will be there too. The more, the merrier. 

 

“So why did you came here?” Her best friend started the conversation. Didn’t want to sound rude, she adjust her words back. “I mean the school is going to be over in few months more”

 

He put his chopsticks down and replied them. “My parents just transferred their job in town. So I had to leave my school in Busan and finishing my high school here”

 

“Ah I see. So do you have a girlfriend?” Hwayoung immediately pinched her best friend arm when she suddenly came out with the question. 

 

“I’m sorry Daniel. She just.....very friendly” Hwayoung said in behalf of her best friend. Sehun were right about she should learn how to keep off.

 

“I’m not having any girlfriend...” He said casually to them. As if nothing affected him. “But maybe I can find it here?” 

 

She wasn’t going to be over dramatic or what but she swear that she could feel his stare straightly into her when he said that. Her cheeks are flushing red and she could feel her body shivering from his effect. His upper corner of his lips were curved upwards and that moment she already know that she shouldn’t get into this game.

 

Hwayoung not going to lie that somehow it make her heart flustered when he started being nice to her. Maybe because they were just met each other and barely be as friend, that make her react like that. Girls and their troubles in controlling their feelings can definitely cause them into problems. 

 

We girls have tendency to fall for boys kindness and sweet talking too. Even if we don’t really have a romantic feelings towards him but still, it really make your heart skip a beat when you associate with a boy like that. And when he came with a good looking package, she just couldn’t help it. 

 

But due to her unconditional love towards his boyfriend, she shrugged it off. It is fine to admire other boy but she knew that it has a limit and she shouldn’t sacrifice her loyalty just to be with someone that she barely know. She love Sehun with all her heart and it’s not going to change. 

 

+++

 

“I’m not exaggerating but as I’m aware, I was the smartest kid in our class. But...” She pointed her finger at him. “That was until I met you. You are doing better than me just now during the English class!”

 

“Maybe because I love the subject so much?” He grinned. “But I’m sorry in any way if I make you feel offended”

 

She quickly shake her head. “Wait wait you shouldn’t! Don’t worry, I like healthy competition” 

 

Daniel and her was on their way to the library for their literature class. They supposed to go there for their reading session with the teacher. During this short amount of times, they had grown closer. With he had the same interest with her for their studies and mostly English subject, they learn that they do have a lot of similarities. 

 

Like how they love those poet peoples and their creation and how they shared their artistic feelings inside of them. They can mingle very well. It just that she thought she finally met someone that matched with her sensitive soul. Unlike her boyfriend that can’t even named a masterpiece created by Shakespeare. 

 

“My favorite? I like ‘Sigh no more, ladies’” Hwayoung said when she was asked about her favorite poem. “When I read it, it just straightly get into my soul”

 

“Impressive Hwayoung. Wow now you’re very mysterious” They both just laugh to his remarks. 

 

Hwayoung could be a mysterious or even sentimental girl as he said, but one thing that can’t be change about her is her clumsiness. Even when she was with Sehun has made her tripped on herself for several times, and now in front of her new friend? She was so embarrassed. 

 

The aftermath of the incident make her froze on her place. She didn’t flinch but to just stay there. She leaned on her wall balancing herself from almost falling with Daniel right hand on her waist and another hand landed just beside her head on the wall. Their body was so close that she knew that she could feel his chest if she make any step further. 

 

“Hwayoung! Are you okay?” He asked genuinely. 

 

She still stuttering but she want to thanks him immediately for saving her. But before she open , somebody already beat her to do that.

 

“Woah dude! Hands off from my girl!” A voice shouted from behind. 

 

Daniel quickly remove his grip on her waist but maintain his other hand on the wall. She had to blinks several times, reminding herself that this is the reality. That she wasn’t even in her dream. Her boyfriend just rushed into them and sending his death glare to the boy who seemed very confused. 

 

Sehun was quick enough to put one of his hand of the wall as well, making Hwayoung standing in between two tall boys nervously waiting for her luck. The glares continuously until Sehun finally snapped and pull his girlfriend to his side, moving further away from his opponent. 

 

This is not a romantic evening k-drama where the hero have to save his princess from getting snatched by other guy. Even though she always wanted to be just like the heroine in the television, she didn’t wish this jealousy scene between her boyfriend and her friend to be happened. 

 

“Are you okay baby?” Sehun asked her when she didn’t speak any words. “What did he do to you?” 

 

Afraid that he might be misunderstood that Daniel was one of the ert guy who just wanted to take advantage of her, she quickly explained. “No— no! He just help me when I fall just now. He...he is my new classmate”

 

“I’m Kang Daniel” He pull out his hand to hand shake with Sehun, but the boy just ignore it like that. He was rude, Hwayoung really think that she need to remind her boyfriend about that later. 

 

He rolled his eyes just like that, purposely to annoy Daniel. “Baby, why you didn’t tell him who am I?”

 

“I— I forgot. Daniel, this is Oh Sehun. My...boyfriend” She aware of his face expression that have changed and how proud Sehun was when she said that. 

 

Seriously, as far as she remembered, she didn’t sign up for any drama. Sehun being jealous and insecure was new to her. Well that’s maybe because she never have openly interact with any guy friend in front of him before and maybe because no one really dare to hit her when everyone knew she is Sehun girlfriend. 

 

As expected, as soon as Daniel excuse himself from the place, Sehun just bombard her with so many questions about her new friend. He had been absent for these two days and he had missed all the moments from Daniel come to this school, to him being his new classmate and to both of them being closer to each other. 

 

“Yah! What was that all about?” Just a yell, no baby girl as what he used in front of his rival just now. He was really mad. “Is that the reason why you didn’t reply to my text the other day?” 

 

If he talked about the text message that she forgot to reply when she bumped into Daniel in front of the administration office the other day, he might have point. But apart of that, she just don’t want to initiate the conversation first because she knew that he will say that he’s too busy to reply her. It never become an issue before if she didn’t respond to him. 

 

“I’m sorry if that happened to be my fault. But there’s nothing happened Sehun” She explained to him with the hope that he will trust her again. “He just my new friend”

 

“Really? Friend?” His face are now getting close to her. With his arms crossed, Sehun are just like a father who reprimand her little daughter. “Or new boyf—“ 

 

She quickly beat his speech first. “Don’t say that” Her eyes blinking severally to make Sehun falls to her charm. “You are my only boyfriend....baby” 

 

His eyes widen in surprised when he heard the pet name come out from , especially when he was the only one to used it on her. “I like you calling me like that but I’m not a baby. You are the only baby.....” He finished it with a flick on her forehead. 

 

“My baby only” He clearly emphasizes the word clearly to let her know that he was in control. His finger trails down from her forehead to her nose and lightly squeeze it. “Don’t do that again, Hwayoung. It makes me jealous” 

 

His whispers are so slow but very strong that it automatically send shivers to her whole body. It only make her realized that she shouldn’t messed up with her jealous boyfriend.

 

+++

 

She have to shush her best friend immediately and cover preventing from her excitement coming from it. They were still in their class but too immersed in their conversation and definitely not bother to give their attention to the teacher in front. 

 

Hwayoung has spilled everything about the incident happened between Sehun and Daniel the other day and her best friend reaction were just as she expected. She squeals in excitement listening to her stories about Hwayoung jealous boyfriend. 

 

Not only that, she also told her that she have made it clear to Daniel about everything. Even though he seems like a bit disappointed that she was taken, but he accept it just like that. He do admit that he give some hints to Hwayoung at beginning that he actually have an interest on her, but then agreed that can just be friend towards each other. Platonically, without any special feelings attached. 

 

“What?” She quickly tone down her voice. “Plan to make Sehun jealous?” Hwayoung asked her best friend in disbelief. 

 

“Yes girl. They said that if the boy seems very jealous, then it’s true that he really love you!” 

 

Still not clear on her best friend explanation, she ask more. “You mean by using Daniel into our plan?” Her best friend just nodded. “Hell no! I wouldn’t drag him into this stupid idea!” 

 

“Come on Hwayoung! This will be fun!” She said. “Who knows that this will help him to figure out his feelings sooner?” 

 

Hwayoung really hate it when at the end she will just agreed to her best friend suggestion. She wouldn’t know whether this so called ‘Make-Sehun-Jealous’ mission will be success or not, but one thing she knew that he wouldn’t be that happy about this. 

 

Considering he being all mad all of sudden when he saw both of them being that close, she expect the worst scenario to be happened later. Like when he suddenly appeared in front of her class during lunch hour. 

 

“Lets go to the cafeteria” He told her but his eyes fixed on the sight of that boy who just came out after his girlfriend. 

 

“But I’m going to eat with my best best friend” Hwayoung cautiously asked afraid that he will be upset. Seeing this as an opportunity, her best friend nudge her arm. “......and Daniel too”

 

That innocent boy looking confused as hell when suddenly his name being called. Originally, he didn’t even plan to eat with those two girls. While Sehun, it obviously that he hate the idea. “Yeah......sure” 

 

She knew it that he have his hidden purpose when he just agree that Daniel will be joining them for their lunch. Hwayoung never aware that Sehun have this possessive character when it comes to her, it somehow make her happy to know that he really care for her but at the same time she afraid of so many possibilities. 

 

During the lunchtime, he will make sure that she seated beside him only and it have to be at least two seat away from the boy that he glared since earlier just now. The rest of EXO are joining them as well, surprisingly can mingle well with the newcomer, unlike Sehun. They keep asking him few questions to Daniel and Baekhyun even asked him if he interested in joining his soccer team. 

 

“Meanwhile our Sehun is the captain of school basketball team” Chanyeol added. “So basically we prefer sports more rather than academic” 

 

“But you can try your luck if you wanted to go against me” Hwayoung already squeeze her boyfriend thigh when he said that proudly. She knew that Sehun just wanted to trigger him. “.........In a court, of course” He finished it with a smirk on his face. 

 

Daniel are not that stupid to think that Sehun just wanted to challenge him. In fact, he knew that Sehun was quite insecure with his presence close to his girlfriend. He saw the jealousy in his eyes and clearly got the message that he tried to deliver to him. He clearly didn’t like Sehun as much as he hate him too, it just that he thought Sehun was lucky enough to get Hwayoung as his girlfriend.

 

It annoyed him and when he saw how Sehun disturb his conversation with Hwayoung and how he tried to shift her attention only for him. Including being all sweet and acting like a perfect boyfriend in front of everyone during the lunch time. Daniel just shook his head thinking that Sehun shouldn’t really have to do that, because clearly Hwayoung wouldn’t trade her boyfriend for someone else.

 

Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol already rolled their eyes when Sehun suddenly wanted to feed his girlfriend. “Eat this baby, I know that you like this ice cream so bad” 

 

“Sehun.......” As much that it make their friends cringe on the table, she wanted Sehun to stop it too. “I’m full already thank you”

 

“Ughh you disgusting creatures....I’m done with this drama” Kai decided to leave first as he clearly couldn’t bear his eyes for any of PDA anymore. 

 

It such a long day for Hwayoung for her to adjust herself to the new Sehun character. It rather cute, she thought. She like how he tried to be with her as much as possible just to make sure that Daniel wouldn’t take his spot. He keep remind her on what she shouldn’t do, like to distant herself from the boy, making sure that he didn’t sit with her in the class and most importantly to not falling in love with him. 

 

She glad that Sehun wasn’t in the same class with them. At least she can breathe for awhile. He might tell her so many things but truthfully she didn’t listen to it. He is her boyfriend, yes she aware of that but at the same time she shouldn’t just distance herself from Daniel. He is her friend as well. They keep being close to each other, well even it means behind Sehun acknowledgement. 

 

There was a day when the three of them; Hwayoung, her best friend and Daniel enjoying their time gossiping at bench near school cafeteria and suddenly Sehun come out of nowhere and dragged her along with him. It make her mad with him for being that harsh with her. She even let out her tears when his grip become too strong that it hurt her arm. 

 

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry Hwayoung. I didn’t meant to” He quickly caressing her arm. 

 

“Please baby don’t cry. This is all my fault” He hug her when she didn’t utter any words. “Damn what have I done to my precious girl?!” 

 

“Don’t do that again Sehun” She warned him. “Or else I will not forgive you anymore” He kiss her forehead to calm her. “Yes I’m promise Hwayoung” 

 

She could see how genuine Sehun was when he hug her, showing that he truly regret that he hurt her just now. It wasn’t that hurt actually, but she just so shocked that her boyfriend did that and she just can’t help but to cry immediately. For the rest of the time he did nothing but to keep hugging her for comfort. And again, she feel safe when he’s there for her.

 

Sehun then suddenly reaches between them and slides a thin of silver bracelet with a small pendant over her free hand. She could saw that their name were carved on the pendant, shining brightly on its own. Lifting her arm, he presses his lips against the inside of her wrist. 

 

When or where he got that bracelet were totally out of her mind at that time. She was start-struck due to the little romance that he shown. Hwayoung utterly still and soon she could feel her pulse tap several times against his lips before he releases her hand.

 

"This is as a prove....." he said while maintaining his gaze. “.....That you are mine”