005

TOXIC

+Summer Camp: Part 1+

 

Summer was here again. It’s time to keep away all the oversize hoodie and it’s time for the crop top shirt to make a comeback. Hwayoung had awaited it with impatience throughout the year. It will always the best season for her, why? She didn’t need a solid reason for that. She just simply love it. 

 

When we said about this season, it always meant camp. And camp was the coolest thing about summer because hey, it’s a freaking high school camp! It will be their last summer camp before graduating high school and Hwayoung very anticipated for this adventure. 

 

She can’t wait to face variety of challenges that she will go through, to share responsibilities with her teammates, work with other students and most importantly to learn manage themselves. She had no worries but excited for this camp. Plus, for the first and last time, EXO will be joining this summer camp. If there’s EXO, there will be Sehun.

 

“Have you bring anything needed?” Hwayoung asked her best friend. 

 

“Of course! I am more than ready for our last high school summer camp!”

 

Hwayoung nodded to her best friend answer with her eyes looking around the crowd. She was looking for someone. All the students participated are gathered around the school gate before going together by the bus. 

 

Didn’t found who she’s looking for, Hwayoung continue to chat with her best friend to kill some times. “I heard about that too. But is it true that—“ 

 

She stopped when someone pulled her backpack. “What the hell is that for” She turns around. “Ah....it’s you” 

 

“I don’t understand why girls love to gossip all the time” Its Sehun. “Don’t you have a better thing to do?” 

 

“Like what Oh Sehun?” Her best friend replied on behalf of them. “Maybe flirting around?” 

 

“Excuse me?” He send a death glares to Hwayoung best friend for her words. Well, they never be in a best term. “I’m very loyal to your best friend”

 

“Loyal my , jerk!” They finally stopped when Hwayoung step in. 

 

“You are going to sit with me in the bus” Sehun gave his last words. “It’s a must”

 

“But I already promised to sit with her” She looks at her best friend, then to Sehun again. “.......Alright then” Hwayoung quickly said sorry to her before following him.

 

It always be a problem for her. Its either her boyfriend or her best friend. She don’t want to be that kind of friend that will leave for boyfriend but most of the times, that was happened. The worst of it was they never stop arguing each time they met. Her best friend didn’t really like Sehun, thanks to his flirty reputation. 

 

She always said to Hwayoung that Sehun could just use her for his own needs. That he will never be a good boyfriend, Hwayoung always heard that from her best friend. She just hope that one day, it will change her impression towards Sehun. That he actually wasn’t as bad as she thought. 

 

Really, for this 4 months that they were together, Hwayoung could feel that Sehun isn’t that bad as what people have said. She knew him more than anyone else. Despite his cold attitude, she feel so happy to be his girlfriend. Maybe, she just too in love with him to notice his flaws. 

 

“Your best friend should know when to shut off” Sehun said while choosing a song on his music playlist. 

 

“She’s a good friend” Hwayoung sat between the window and Sehun. “You should get to know her better” 

 

“Whatever” He took one of the earphones and plug into his girlfriend ear. “What? Never saw this scene in romantic drama?” 

 

“You listen to DPR Live too?!” She excited when the song started to play. “I like him!” 

 

“More than you like me?” His glares make her got no choice but to shook her head. 

 

The routes to the camp took longer than they expected. A breathtaking view of the nature can be seen along the journey and the surrounding forest was so deep and thick. Students were ecstatic when they saw groves, glades, ponds, and even fountains. A very rare view in the city. 

 

Hwayoung already dozed off with her head rest on his shoulder, it was Sehun who carefully put it on his while she’s sleeping. Unlike her, he decided not to sleep. Purposely to observe the beauty of the forest during the journey. He’s the man of nature. 

 

Sehun chuckles when he saw her sleeping figure. She must be so tired. Hwayoung been talking to him along the journey to kill her boredom. Even though he didn’t really respond to most of it, but he heard every single details that she told him. Her voice has become another entertainment for him.

 

It’s been almost 2 hours since they depart from the school but yet to be arrived. He look around and saw his other friends were sleep too, Sehun getting bored. He looks at his side and smiles. “So cute” 

 

Suddenly he got another idea to kill his time. He pull out his phone and open his camera. “I should take her candid photo” 

 

“I can use it to blackmail her later” He took another shots. “Ah her phone....let see what she have here” He dropped his and took her phone that she left on her lap. 

 

“Password....lets try my birthday” Sehun put 6 digit security pin into her phone. “Bingo! My girl really love me huh?” 

 

Instead of invading her privacy, he just used her camera to take selfie of them. Most of it full with Sehun make weird expression and her sleeping faces. “This summer camp surely going to be fun”

 

+++

 

Panic immediately attack her when she woke up to an empty bus. Sehun wasn’t longer in his seat, she sigh. He could just wake her up when they arrived but he didn’t. Hwayoung was so upset with him. It must on purpose to leave her there alone, she knew it. What a boyfriend. 

 

Luckily everyone were still there, unloading their bags from the bus compartment. It means that they were just arrived. She totally pass out during the whole journey and didn’t aware when they reached the camp base. She looks around and saw a couple with the boyfriend helping his girlfriend to carry her bag— how she wish for her boyfriend to do that to her too. 

 

Which is very impossible. “Hwayoung ah please carry my backpack” Sehun said as soon as he saw her. 

 

“But this is too heavy” She whined. No, she just don’t want to do that for him. 

 

“Hold this bag then” He handled her another bag, luckily it smaller than the previous one. 

 

‘Jeez I hate him I hate him I hate him’ She started to cursed. 

 

“Don’t be angry baby girl” Sehun tugged her hair behind her ear and whispered. That’s it. She lost and melted again.

 

‘Jeez I love you Sehun of course I would do anything for you’ She said to herself. 

 

Later they walked to their camp site and at first, she was generally overwhelmed by the place and everything. It feels so good to be able to breath in a nature like this. So fresh and clean. Looking out over the lake nearby, she felt enveloped in the most peaceful place ever.

 

They were asked to gathered at the assembling area to be briefed about the camp discipline, equipment that they need to use and also group formation. This summer camp will be the last one that they will joined, as this is their last year in high school and this experience surely will be missed. 

 

It wont be same anymore in future. They will part away choosing their own major in college, leaving their high school friends and all the memories. Hwayoung have thought about this; that maybe Sehun will leave her as soon as school ended. He didn’t need her anymore and probably will forget her just like that. 

 

There will be so many possibilities of what is going to happens in future but for now, she don’t want to think about it. Instead, she should just enjoy her time with her boyfriend, while it lasted. 

 

“Remember to not trying to do something illegal! It’s prohibited in this camp” Their teacher strictly reminded all the students. “You guys will be dead if I caught you red handed!” He added. 

 

“Yes sir!” They responded.

 

“Alright so now everyone can start to set up their tent. Good luck!” Their teacher instructed everyone. 

 

“Hmm did you know how to do this?” Her best friend asked. They are sharing the same tent together. “Because I don’t” 

 

She look at the instructions paper repeatedly, while scratching her head in between. “Wait...let me just read the manual again” 

 

“We are doomed Min Hwayoung” Her best friend palm her face. “How about you ask your boyfriend...maybe he can help us?” 

 

Never in his life that he will voluntarily help to set up her tent. Be kind to his girlfriend? It never exists in his dictionary. But she couldn’t just say no to her best friend request, it only make her to hate Sehun more if she tell her that he will never help them. With a courageous, she walked to the boy tent area to find her boyfriend. 

 

She didn’t saw him anywhere. Not in his tent which already completed, not in the bench where his friend chill, this boy literally nowhere to be found. Hwayoung almost give up on her mission when suddenly she bumped into Kai. He had told her that he saw Sehun at the river nearby.

 

He was there, resting on the build in hammock with his eyes closed, arm supporting his head. She examined his features tentatively, admiring her boyfriend perfect visual. Again she remind herself that she was so lucky to have him in her life. 

 

“Boo!” He surprised her out of sudden. She thought that Sehun was sleeping. “Oh my God Sehun you scared me!” She calm herself. 

 

“What do you want?” He asked, his face just shown how much he was annoyed. 

 

Hwayoung starting to fidgeting around, thinking a good words to start her sentence. “I— Hmm— Can you—“ 

 

“I don’t remember anything about my girlfriend couldn’t speak properly” He was staring at her directly. 

 

“Can you help me with my tent?” She finally could said it clearly. She waited for a few seconds before he finally said, “No I can’t. Now go away and don’t disturb me” 

 

She have expected this from him. She knew he will said that. It just another stupid idea to get a help from him. With a disappointment on her face, she back to her best friend and still-not-done tent problems. 

 

“I couldn’t find him anywhere” She lied and again she had no idea why she have to defend him. A very loyal girlfriend, perhaps? 

 

Her best friend and Hwayoung started to set up her tent according to the manual book given. It took almost 30 minutes just to get the work done — to specific, only half done. It was pretty hard especially for them who never had experienced before. Woman power, woman power, they calling for the spirit to come. 

 

She was so damn tired and when she heard a voice from behind laughing at her while she struggles to get all of the poles in place is not a helpful way to start her camping trip. Her best friend nudged her, “Looks Cinderella, your prince has come to rescue” 

 

Don’t know what possessed her boyfriend but he suddenly come after she got told by him to leave earlier. His girlfriend already panting with sweats on her forehead and she didn’t have time for his sarcastic remarks anymore. Hwayoung determined not to do whatever he might ask her to, but to keep focus on her work. She need to get the tent to be done. 

 

“At this rate you guys might have to sleep  outside tonight” 

 

Sehun squats to match with her level and hold both of her hand. It was spur of moment when he suddenly started to blow off the dirt from her hands. Hwayoung couldn’t even move her eyes from him, she was touched with his action. He even took off a handkerchief from his back pocket and wipe her sweats. 

 

It’s exciting and thrilling with him. He can be hot and be cold at the same, one moment he show her with his affection— like when Hwayoung open her phone with their photo as her home screen wallpaper. He had kiss her on her cheek secretly when she sleep. 

 

Or he could just be cold to her at the next moment. She knew that she will spend her lifetime trying to understand him and she really need to be careful with him. Because she already drown in love with him and it’s getting deeper everyday.

 

“A sloth..working with another sloth” He said while starting to work with tent. It amazed them when he just do it like pro, instead of referring to the manual book like them. “You guys wouldn’t even survive in this jungle like this” 

 

“Well I helped my girlfriend.....and you” He proudly said to her best friend. “I think you should stop saying that I’m a bad boyfriend to her” 

 

“I’m not done with you yet Oh Sehun” Her best friend still on her very-defensive-bestfriend mood. “But yeah thank you for your help” He just rolled his eyes to respond. 

 

“Don’t do anything stupid during this camp” Sehun said to his girlfriend. “......and don’t get hurt sweetheart”

 

Sehun really need to learn not to make her confused with his acts. The hot and cold Oh Sehun— her boyfriend. 

 

+++

 

Their day for the summer camp mostly spend with various activities, mostly in group formation. It includes few survival skills like how to navigate maps using compass, how to make a shelter for emergency, handling dangerous threats in the jungle and others. 

 

Thanks God that she was placed in a group of people that were very helpful and she have learned a lot of new things too. She had to admit she was kind of in this kind of activities, which she believed that she wouldn’t be survive if she was left in the jungle alone. 

 

Highlight of that day was the jungle trekking activity. It was very challenging as the track had detours, several warning signs— to indicate its dangerous, hills and valleys and spin-outs along the way. Apart from that, there was something that she thought more dangerous than anything else. It have to be Sehun and his so called fan girls who are in the same team with him. 

 

It make her anger boils when she saw the girls purposely flirt with him. Too excessive she must said. In this jungle? She low key wish that they should be eaten by the wild animal. But she relieved when her boyfriend don’t even give a damn about it, he ignored the girls just like that. Sehun really learned from his past mistakes. 

 

“Ah my girlfriend are getting tanned” Sehun approached her. It was the morning of second day in the summer camp.

 

Hwayoung didn’t know what he want from her but still come closer to him. “Yes Sehun what else do you want me to do?” She sarcastically replied. 

 

He didn’t said anything but laughed. Sehun open his backpack looking for something. “Come here you will need this”

 

“Thank you Sehun. Actually I forgot to bring mine” She just smiles at him. It just so lovely to have the one that she love to rub sunscreen onto her skin.

 

It started with a long briefing by the camp instructor. He explained in full details to all the students, they will undergo a very important mission soon. It’s the main activity where it combines all the survival skills that they have learned throughout the camp. 

 

Students have to pair in partner, and need to stay in the jungle for 24 hours. It was a practical to be a survivor before completing this summer camp. They will be given equipment like a map and compass, sleeping back, a pot, lighter and torchlight— basic needs to keep survive.  

 

All her excitement when she first arrived at this camp has slowly faded, she started to hate all of this things. To survive in a jungle definitely a serious matter and she worried. It actually more into scared. Too immersed thinking about the worst scenarios, she didn’t even realized that Sehun already stand beside her, self appointing to be her partner. 

 

“What are you doing here?” She curiously asked. “Where is your partner?”

 

“My partner? It’s you” He said making her confused. As what she remembered, it was her best friend that supposedly to be her partner. 

 

“I have to run from the chipmunks” He pointed at the girls behind. They looked very disappointed for not be able to be his partner. “Plus, you will need me to survive. I’m your boyfriend, remember?” 

 

She imagined a very beautiful adventure with her boyfriend, but nah— it was far from that. They were arguing as soon as they started when navigating the map using the compass. Sehun said they need to go east but Hwayoung insisted that going to the west is the right pathway. 

 

It didn’t stop at that. They were fighting over who used the right technique to make fire. Sehun with his usual cocky attitude will never, she repeat; never ever going to believe her when she said that he was doing it wrongly. Instead of collaborating to make it happen, they are wasting their time mostly rejecting each other idea. 

 

When it’s time to eat, both of them finally stop the war. They stopped talking to each other— which is more worse. It must be the pressures and the challenges that made Hwayoung very different from the usual. Somehow she forgot about her submissive character towards him. She don’t even care the fact that he is her boyfriend. 

 

But instead she become more independent, a very strong and determined girl, even Sehun was surprised with it. He like this side of his girlfriend. “It seems like I have to be the matured one here” 

 

He took his chopsticks and started to pickup the ramyun into his bowl. “Eat this” He wanted to feed her. 

 

“Listen to me Hwayoung” He didn’t give up even when she didn’t respond him. “You have to eat......please” 

 

Sehun has getting softer to her at the moments when she throws her tantrums, as a protest because she refused to do the things he asked for. To survive this mission he just had to do it. He stop making her carrying his things, finally. It just really worth it for her to get that mad only to make him stop bullying her. 

 

“I’m full already” She finally said something. “You eat too, Sehun”

 

“I’m sorry okay?” He looks into her eyes with unreadable expression on his face.

 

Hwayoung stopped at her movement. Shocked when she heard that. Her boyfriend just said something that he never said to her; a simple sorry. She just nodded to him, agreed that they should stop fighting with each other. Or else, they cannot even complete this survival mission. 

 

They left to another place and continue their adventure together. Sehun had securely hold his girlfriend hand along the journey, it was very challenging and dangerous. All they have to find is a suitable spot for them to overnight. It should close to the river as for the water supply, a place where it far from wild animal tracks and most importantly, safe for both of them. 

 

“This is so like you” He stop and plucking a flower. “Like me?” She was confused.

 

Sehun gave her the flower. “Hwayoung, your name.....” He added, “It means, a beautiful flower” 

 

She was very impressed that Sehun could remember this little details like this. It make her heart blooming, making space for a guy named Sehun. Unconsciously, she had her mind wander everywhere and almost lost her sanity. Suddenly, she was tripped and fell to the ground. 

 

“Hwayoung!” He runs to her immediately. But soon he started to laughed like there is no tomorrow. “Yah! I think you stepped on the elephant poops! There is a few on your face!” 

 

“Oh Sehun!” She screamed. “I hate you! I really really hate you!” 

 

“You can’t hate me baby elephant” He back at his old self again. “Ah! Now you really smell like elephant” 

 

She hit him several times. She even thought of drowning him in the river. Luckily she still remembered that he is her boyfriend. Actually, it wasn’t even an elephant poop, it just a small mud hole. The forest was guaranteed very safe from the wild animal, as it has become a camp base. He just wanted to have some fun and .

 

At the end of the day, just before the sunset, they found a spot for them to overnight. He already checked the place and confirmed that it is safe enough. He done everything for her. The small campfire, the simple dinner for them, and it made Hwayoung amazed with him again. She even imagined her life in the jungle with him. Sehun will be the tarzan and she will be Jane. Oh it will be amazing!

 

With the sky as the roof and the ground as the floor, they rest their body for the night. They had their sleeping bag beside each other. Sehun was sleeping already, it was a very tiring and exhausting day for them. She should have sleep too, but she can’t and that was her biggest problem. 

 

She keeps fidgeting in her place, making a sound every time the fabric of her sleeping bag clash. 

 

“What the hell is that for Hwayoung” Sehun was distracted by that. “Don’t disturb me” 

 

“I can’t sleep......and I’m afraid” She said. 

 

“Don’t be a child, can you?” He started to raise his voice. “I’m so freaking tired”

 

She felt so bad towards him. All she did for the whole day was gave him troubles. Tried her best not too think about the worst scenarios, she force herself sleep. Her eyes were shut but her mind didn’t. Suddenly she thought that what if a raccoon is going to snuggle up to her in the middle of the night. 

 

Hwayoung calm down and had reassured herself again it not going be happen. She keep reminds her that at this point, animals shouldn’t be the least of her concern. She was comforted with the thought, but then the sound of the leaves brushing on her surroundings constantly woke her up and re-instilled the initial fear.

 

Not even care about that anymore, she jumped out of her sleeping bag and snuggled into Sehun body. She don’t care if she will got yelled by him, all she wanted is a hug to keep her fear away. “Help me Sehun I’m scared” 

 

“Don’t be afraid Hwayoung, I’m here” 

 

Sehun know that he couldn’t just sleep with his girlfriend condition like that. What he did was he hug her girlfriend, tell her that nothing going to be happen and she will be save as long as she have him by her side. After all, this is the least thing that he could do as her boyfriend. 

 

He saw her with different view today. Hwayoung wasn’t that typical of girl, she wasn’t same as his bimbo fangirls, somehow she have something that made him thought that, he didn’t even regret to made her as his girlfriend. He saw a strong personality, but at the same time, a fragile girl that needed his care. About his feelings, it way too early to speak about that. 

 

He distracted her by telling some random story, throws some lame jokes and kiss her on the forehead. Sehun was getting sleepy, he have reached his limit. “Alright now you should go to sleep, this time for real please don’t disturb me”

 

After crawling back into the sleeping bag shaking from the unfamiliar noises, feelings and conditions that night, Hwayoung realized that she can’t survive this whole without her boyfriend, and she just thought that maybe, she can’t survive her life too without Oh Sehun.