016

TOXIC

+It’s hurt+

 

The shop was quiet in the morning, especially when it comes to January where there will be less customer coming to get flowers during the cold season. It will be the perfect chances for Hanbin and his sister to rest a bit before the hectic February; where everyone will be looking out for roses for Valentines Day. 

 

It’s only 11 am in the morning when Hwayoung decided to drop by to the shop and bring them breakfast. She still working in the flower shop, it just that she taking a day off after a long week that she have last week. She should just rest at home but knowing that she will just get bored by doing nothing alone, she decided to chill with her friends at the shop. 

 

“Good morning Rose” She greet them with a beautiful smile on her face. “Good morning to you too, boss” 

 

“I told you not to call me that!” Hanbin playfully scold her. Hwayoung just stick her tongue to him as respond. 

 

“Thanks for coming, Hwayoung. Just on time! I need to go out for while. Can you hmm....be here for awhile with my brother?” Rose hurriedly said while grabbing her bag, ready to exit the premise. 

 

Her best friends pout, slightly disappointed. “But I already bring you breakfast Rose” 

 

“I’m sorry sweetie but I really have something to do now. But don’t worry I’m sure that my brother gladly will help you to clear up all the foods you bought” She just winked to her brother to . 

 

Hanbin just scratch the back of his neck awkwardly, “Yeah...sure”

 

Hwayoung always find that these two siblings relationship adorable. They will tease each other in every situation yet they still care for each other. She envied them so much, to know that they have a sibling that also become their best friend, they wouldn’t feeling lonely in some other way. Unlike her. 

 

Rose is such a great girl best friend that are very helpful. Being a bubbly girl, she always cheer Hwayoung up every time. While her brother, Hanbin is one of the sweetest guy that she ever known. A guy that full of manners, caring type with a charming personality. She really thought that whoever that get him as her boyfriend must be so lucky. 

 

Not only that, she also thought that Hanbin was a matured guy that can respect people very well. She didn’t deny that she was flustered when he confessed his feelings to her few weeks ago, but she glad that he can accept it when she said that she already have a boyfriend. 

 

In fact, he never force to make Hwayoung like her back. Instead, he will gladly become the listener to her love life when she need someone to talk to. He always like to listen to her voice, it has become his favorite since she came to the flower shop few months ago. 

 

“Exhausting week is it? My sister was knocked out the whole day when she finished her last paper” He asked while having the breakfast that she bought earlier. 

 

She nodded eagerly. “I hate exams!” Hanbin just chuckled when she pouted. “But I’m glad it’s finally done. I can’t wait to get my life back!” 

 

“Or most probably you just can’t wait to meet your boyfriend again, right?” 

 

Hwayoung sigh. “Yeah...it’s been awhile since I met him. I was so busy with the examination week...and he was busy as well....I guess”

 

“Someone is missing her boyfriend apparently” He was smiling, but she can see that there is a disappointment in his face. “Why don’t you visit him? Like a surprise visit maybe?”

 

“Should I do that?” She asked for his opinion. “What if he didn’t like it?”

 

“Of course! I’m sure that your boyfriend will gladly to meet you. Because I will definitely love it....if it was me” Hanbin smile again. 

 

With a courageous from her best friend, the girl finally decided to pay a visit to her celebrity boyfriend at their workplace. Standing in front of a huge building in the middle of Seoul city, she find that this place somehow is to foreign to her. The tall building of SM Entertainment remind her that she will never suit to be in this place. 

 

She respect and support her boyfriend decision to be in this industry. However, she always felt like no matter how she tried to understand this entertainment world, this is definitely not something that she used to. Amazed with the futuristic architecture of the building, she stepped forward into the receptionist counter to ask for help. 

 

“Hello” She mutters nervously to the girl at the counter. “I...hmm....come to meet Oh Sehun” 

 

The stranger girl looking at her up and down, obviously judging Hwayoung from her looks. “Who are you?” That girl ask rudely. 

 

“I’m her girlfriend” She tell her, but only to be a laughing stock to the receptionist. 

 

“Sweetie, if then I also can admit that Choi Siwon is my boyfriend” Hwayoung can feel that her heart was clenching hearing that. This is not something that she made up. She come here to meet her boyfriend. She defend herself, “But I...” 

 

“I suggest that you come back later with a better excuses Miss” With that, Hwayoung take a few steps away.

 

Her head are lower compare to the time when she come earlier. There is no reason for her to stay at this place. She have tried to call Sehun upon her arrival, but as usual there is no respond from him. She knew that it already a big mistake for her come here. Telling everyone that she is the girlfriend of EXO members? Nobody will believe her anyway. 

 

She take a sip from the Vanilla Milkshake cup that she brought earlier, with a hope that she can give it to her boyfriend. She had wasted her time in this building, surely she didn’t want to waste her money too by letting the milkshake melting just like that. 

 

Hwayoung didn’t pay attention to her surrounding, too engaged into her mood that had been ruined by the receptionist lady just now. She not even realized who’s in front of her, only to lift up her head when somebody calls her name from afar. Apparently, EXO just finished their training in the dance studio and on their way to go back, coincidentally bumping into her in the lobby.

 

“Min Hwayoung!” The boys greets her and come closer to her. If only the receptionist lady saw this, she probably will believe Hwayoung now. 

 

“It’s been awhile since we hang out together!” Baekhyun said, follow by everyone asking her how she’s doing now. After they graduated from high school, they barely meet up with everyone. With her busy with her uni and the boys with their schedule.

 

She could see how the boys happy when they meet her. Its been awhile and as much as she miss her boyfriend, she miss her other best friends as well. But unlike what she could imagine, her boyfriend doesn’t seems amazed to have her around. 

 

His face was still stuck with no emotion. Most likely shook and puzzled when his girlfriend decided to drop by to his workplace. Walking up to the boys who now having a quick catch up with Hwayoung, he quickly come closer to her and grab her wrist roughly before leaving others to a quiet place. 

 

“What are you doing here?!” He asked, voice slightly raise up making his girlfriend flinched a bit. “......You shouldn’t be here” His voice softened when he saw his girlfriend scared reaction. 

 

“I just...”She tilted up her chin, to see her boyfriend clearly. “...I missed you Sehun”

 

“I know but—“ He sigh. “You should not be here” Only God knows how hurt she was at that moment. Is he wanted her to go away that much? “Take this money and go back with cab. I will look for you when I’m done with the practices” 

 

“But Sehun—“ Without letting his girlfriend finish her words, he already left her dumbfounded there. With a teary eyes, she exit the giant building. No matter how she try to be positive on her boyfriend, at the end it will only become another empty promise. 

 

She knew that he will not be coming back. 

 

 

+++

 

Hwayoung have tried so many ways to keep herself busy and not to think about her wrecking relationship with her boyfriend that barely had time for her. She do almost everything that can distract her attention from thinking about him; missing him. 

 

But she can’t help when he haunted her everywhere. It’s EXO that she talking about. Their faces are everywhere to the point that there is no chance for her to not to think about him. Even when she had her boyfriend face on her cup in the bubble tea shop. She can’t stop thinking about him and it remind her again how hurt she was. 

 

Hwayoung expect that her boyfriend will at least send her text message that he unable to go back to her apartment after the incident, but he doesn’t do that. It just on the next day that Baekhyun randomly call her to talk to her personally. He always been a good friend to her and it feels so good when she can finally talk to someone. 

 

“Hello Hwayoung!” He talk on the other line. 

 

“Hello Baekhyun. How are you?” She replied to him. It just feel so comfortable to have her best friend on the line while sipping her favorite bubble tea.

 

He sigh. “Tired...but still alive. If you wonder. Well I was thinking to treat you for a quick lunch the other day. But you leaving too soon!”

 

“Sehun said that you guys were busy at that moment and I just don’t want to disturb you guys” She said weakly. 

 

“Hell no Hwayoung! You never be a distraction!” He convinced her. “It just Sehun had a bad day at that time. I’m sure that he will love if you come again the next time” 

 

One thing that make Baekhyun a wonderful friend is the way he will make her believe again that their relationship will be working, no matter how much they have go through. If there is anyone who ship them from earlier up till now, it will definitely Byun Baekhyun. 

 

“We have upcoming concert in two weeks and I want you to come and be our VIP guest!” He added. 

 

During the two weeks, she had debated with her own ego. Part of her telling that she should just let go whatever has happened and make up with her boyfriend while her alter ego keep remind her to stick on the plan; to not give him any chance more to hurt her. 

 

But she always go with the first option. Hwayoung had the purest heart and there is no way that she will give up on this relationship. She was too in love with Sehun that she couldn’t imagine how she’s going to live without him. She need Sehun in her life. 

 

Even though she had to swallow the fact that her boyfriend didn’t even invite her to his band concert and she had to find out from other person, she didn’t mind that. With a thought that Sehun probably too busy and forget to invite her. While Rose being too excited to be her plus one for the invitation, she have the biggest fear so far, what if he didn’t like her presence there? 

 

Maybe Baekhyun were right. She was overthinking about her relationship. Maybe he were right too when he said that Hwyaoung should just let thing pass and instead, focus on what can she do to make their relationship stronger. She has gone through a lot; this should be no problem to her right? And yes— she will fight for him. 

 

“I swear that I will gay for you, Hwayoung” Rose playfully said that her. 

 

“Hell no Rose!” Hwayoung was bursting on laughing as she couldn’t hold it anymore. Apparently her best friend was so amazed with her because she was making cupcakes for her boyfriend for his concert. 

 

Rose shakes her head repeatedly. “Sehun will be the dumbest guy if he still didn’t appreciate you as the best girlfriend ever” Hwayoung gulped hearing that. “Well, I really meant it” She knew that her best friend just being protective over her. 

 

The concert arena was bigger than the previous venue, a whole concert with larger sets, larger audience and larger impact. She felt nothing but proud to be in their journey all along. EXO has come so far that she doesn’t need to tell them that she was so overwhelmed with their success— because everyone did. 

 

Having a VIP passes that Baekhyun gave to her last two weeks has been the biggest advantage that they will have for the concert. They are entitled for backstage access, a special seat for the concert also the ability to see the boys whenever she feels like to. 

 

“Hwayoung! You are here!” Baekhyun greet her across the hall. 

 

It doesn’t really surprise her anymore to see her idol best friend dress up with a fancy clothes and makeup this close but this is definitely a new sight for Rose, she was star struck with the celebrity. “Ah Baek, this is my best friend” 

 

“Hello. Nice to meet you. I’m Baekhyun” 

 

“H— hi...I already know you” Hwayoung chuckled when she saw how excited her best friend is. “I’m Hwayoung best friend, Rose”

 

“Ah I see” Rose swear she was about to faint when Baekhyun shake her hand. “Hwayoung I thought I’m your best, best friend!” He jokes. “But never mind, I can always share you with this beautiful friend of yours”

 

As if in the dream, Rose couldn’t believe that this exactly happened in her life. She like EXO and having this kind of interaction with one of her bias wrecker exactly what she never thought of. Hwayoung knew that her best friend was a flirting with Rose, but she didn’t expect that Rose will go all red from his teasing.

 

Later Baekhyun bring her to his sharing waiting room with Sehun, giving some privacy time to the couple. If there is anyone who shipped them so bad; it would Baekhyun himself. He knew how they love each other and he knew well that she need a time with her boyfriend, by judging on a cold term relationship that the couple have now. 

 

Unlike any other day when she used to be in backstage, to be with him and become the source of his calmness before going up to the stage for their performance, it seems so awkward now. She have a feeling that her boyfriend not really expecting her to come; might be as well not welcoming her presence. Nevertheless, she tried to reach him.

 

“Hi...” Despite of two years that they had been together, she felt so small today when approaching him. 

 

He look up from the phone screen, his face show the tightness when his girlfriend appears in his waiting room. “Hwayoung?” He called. 

 

“I.....I come here to....hmm I made you cupcakes” She hold it out for him. Not to be rude, he pick it up and offer her a seat on the couch nearby.

 

“You don’t have to do this, you know right?” She didn’t catch what he really meant but somehow it make her heart clenched. That it could be one of it; either Sehun didn’t like her presence or he didn’t like the cupcakes that she brought. 

 

He then added, “I don’t know if I could spend my time with you. As you see, I’m quite busy today” 

 

“Just do your thing. I won’t disturb you” She nodded.

 

That is how it went for past 2 hours. She was there in the room with her boyfriend but then she felt like he wasn’t even there. He didn’t do anything except resting and playing with his phone— if that could be his definition of busy. Hwayoung wish that her best friend will be there for her, but then she remembered that Baekhyun is taking her for venue tour and to meet the rest of EXO members. 

 

The cupcakes that she made specially for him was left untouched. There is no even sign that he will eat that. As if it just another prop in that room, he don’t even bother to check it. Maybe Hwayoung and the cupcakes have not much different. They were left unbothered. 

 

Maybe she have to be one to tolerate with him and start a conversation. So she thought about to get closer with him. As Hwayoung was about to drag the chair closer with him and reach out for his name, the door was knocked from outside. 

 

“Sehun.....” Both of their attention was now on the newcomers. While Hwayoung was busy decoding to remember who exactly the person are, Sehun already smile to the voices that called him for some attention. 

 

She knew them. It’s a girl group from the SM Entertainment, Red Velvet. She was eyeing them from head to toe before she diverted her stares to her boyfriend who seems excited to see them. It was the same gaze that he hd showed her two years ago, the time that he still in love with her. At that moment, she already know what is going on. 

 

Hwayoung caught herself thinking about falling in love again with someone who she hoped was right here thinking about the possibility of her but then she quickly banished the notion. It was that kind of thinking that landed her in this situation to begin with. Hope can ruin her and it just destroyed her.

 

+++

 

It took exactly three days before she knew that her boyfriend literally gave all the cupcakes she made to all the members. She didn’t mind for him to sharing but what she hurt the most that he didn’t even bother to take a taste of it. Hwayoung made it with a full of passion and love specially for him, yet he didn’t care at all. 

 

She was fragile and have a weak soul. It wouldn’t be that surprised when she suddenly cried over the phone when Baekhyun and Chanyeol calling her. They wanted to thanks her for the cake but it turns out that their good news will be the one that broke her emotional. 

 

“You made a very good cupcakes and I swear Sehun is so stupid to not eat it!” She didn’t really blame him. After all, Chanyeol has a big mouth and it wasn’t his mistake. 

 

However Baekhyun knew exactly what happened. He could sense that you were upset over this thing and that he probably catch the real deal now; Sehun didn’t treat her like how he supposed to. For one and half hour, he was still on call with Hwayoung comforting her, giving her assurance that she should get from her boyfriend.

 

She didn’t want to be that kind of girlfriend that will complain to her boyfriend best friend and talks about their relationship problems. But at that time, she was bursting everything to him as her own best friend. Hwayoung wasn’t that strong and she need someone to be there for her. 

 

The moment she heard her apartment door cracked opens, she knew that Baekhyun must have talk to Sehun about what she told him. He protecting her and she knew that she couldn’t stop him from going to Sehun and lecture him of what he has done. 

 

Hwayoung was sitting on the couch in front of the television, her eyes was puffy from crying so much. She quickly wipe the remaining tears and get up to welcome in midway. “Sehun...”

 

He just hummed as acknowledgement before walking pass her to land himself on the couch. The way he massage his temple and how he furrowed her brows, she can expect that he wasn’t in a good mood. But it wasn’t something new for her as lately he never been in a good mood whenever he came home.

 

“Do you want to have dinner Sehun?” She asked to make a conversation.

 

“Are you really expect me to eat at his hour? It’s 12.30 am for god sake. I’m on diet” His answer was short. 

 

She then made a bold move by hugging his neck from behind, hoping that it could release his stress a bit. Sehun used to love that previously. He sighed before pulling off her grips from him. With a cold tone he told her, “I’m not in mood for this”

 

“Look...” He started. “I don’t like you come to my members and complain about us. Baekhyun....isn’t he involve too much in our relationship?” 

 

“But he is my friend Sehun” She actually quite surprised that she can just replied to him coldly. Maybe Hwayoung couldn’t take it anymore.

 

“He is my friend not yours!” 

 

She started to raise her voice despite being stutter from holding her tears. “Why are you yelling to me like this?! What is wrong with you Sehun?!!” 

 

“What is wrong with you!!” Sehun wasn’t lowered his voice anyway. “You are getting pissed over a little thing. Just because I don’t eat your cupcakes?! Aren’t you acting like a kid Hwayoung!” 

 

“It wasn’t just because of the cupcakes Sehun! It’s about us!” She was in the urges to crying now.

 

“We are arguing over the same thing and I’m getting tired over it!” He let out a frustration sigh. “I should be someone who can understand me but you don’t even tolerate with me!”

 

“Is this now my fault?” At this point, she had lost it. “Fine Sehun. If that is what you thinking about me”

 

Hwayoung went to their shared bedroom and crying out loud. He was playing the card that she wasn’t that understanding girlfriend and the way he said it— it seems like she didn’t do anything to fix everything on their relationship. When will he realize that she had done so much for him. When will he realize that her unconditional love towards him.

 

She thought that Sehun must have leave the house after their argument. But then when he enters the bedroom and take a seat beside her on the bed, she finally have the reason to lift up her head and look into him. 

 

He wipes her tears with his thumb carefully, with a hope that the tears wouldn’t come out again. Sehun sigh before clearing his throat to talk to her. “Can I take you out?” 

 

She was in doubt but then her body betrayed her when she suddenly pulling him into her embrace, tightly hug him burying her face into his chest. It take her around 20 minutes to calm down, with Sehun help by her hair gently. 

 

Later in midnight he took her to a small noodle stall near Han River. He didn’t say much but to watch her silently taking her foods into , enjoying her foods. She was too upset with him and has starving herself for the whole day. Hwayoung passed her bowl to her boyfriend, asking him to share but he refused it by saying that he’s already full.

 

It could be that they have been together for quite long that they don’t have to say anything to understand each other. She watch him watch her entire time and she knew that something is bothering her boyfriend. From his eyes, she can guess that he really have something to say to her. 

 

“Do you have something to tell me Sehun?” She prompted.

 

“I— Hwayoung—“ His eyes now not redirected to her.

 

“You have changed Sehun” She sound very hurt. 

 

“I know I am......” He couldn’t argue on this thing. She has a point. Sehun himself knew that he wasn’t the what he promise her previously. 

 

Tears start pooling in her eyes, threatening to burst at any time. “What changed you then? No. Who changed you?!”

 

“Hwayoung...” His voice softened. “No one changed me. I was the wrong one. I’m not a good boyfriend to you and I hurt you. I’m so sorry Hwayoung” 

 

“But we can fix this Sehun” She tried to grad a hold on his hand but he backed away. 

 

“You deserved someone better Hwayoung. You are amazing girl, you are the most perfect girlfriend and there is no one better than you.....” Sehun voice was shaken at that point knowing that what he’s going tell later surely going to broke her. 

 

“I’m grateful for everything you’ve done. However feelings can fade..... and mine has faded few months ago. But still I’ve tried to keep my promise to you” Without Hwayoung realize her damp of tears has broken and there is no way that she can remain calm. Her boyfriend was about to break their relationship.

 

“Just because I ended the things with you doesn’t mean that it is the end for you Hwayoung. You have a life to live and you have to be ha—“

 

“Don’t! Don’t say that Sehun!” She was in urged to slap him in the face and restrained herself to get collapse because of the sudden news. “You know that I would never be happy without you in life!”

 

“I’m sorry Hwayoung...” 

 

“Just leave Sehun!......leave!”

 

It took her two years to give him all of her heart and he threw it away in one night. This is excruciatingly painful. Not only does it feel as if the her boyfriend stabbed her in the heart but it cause her an emotional wounds. Being hurt so deeply by someone who she have opened up her heart and soul is painful beyond measurement. 

 

She never realized it before but when he has broken her heart, Hwayoung was all of a sudden notice how vulnerable and powerless she have become. Not only that but she was being frustrated because she slowly begun realizing that things will never be as they once were. Never going to be same without Sehun.

 

She has lost him. The only reason for her to keep alive. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: This is not supposed to be spoiler but if you know my style, you know that I never made a sad ending for my story and just for you know, this is definitely not the end. I’m sorry to make you guys so frustrated over Sehun but I promise you that all the sad chapters will end soon and the sweet Sehun character will be back. I hate making Sehun a bad guy here but I have to lol. 

 

Anyway, I made a new story called Caffeine (https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1385968/caffeine-mafia-romance-exo-sehun-sehunxoc-mafiaau) It’s a mafia theme AU with Sehun as the main lead. I’m sorry that I love him so much that I have to use him for my story again. Please subscribe and drop comment as I need your opinion on my new story. Thank you readers ❤️