019

TOXIC

+Is there any trust?+

 

 

ual harassment is not a joke and the impact towards the eyes of netizen is even worse. They didn’t wait for the trial result but to claimed that he is the wrong one without even investigating the truth. When it comes to celebrity suspected into a criminal case, they will automatically jump into conclusion and outcast the celebrity right away.

 

Once Hwayoung, Sehun and her team stepped out of the van, she can already spot few big black lens, flashing through her client face in order to get a good coverage for this case. He is a big name in the industry, surely it will be headline for the media. In fact, they are all in line to get the best footage of the trial. 

 

“Just continue walking, don’t speak even a word to them” She whispers to him while walking together into the court building. Sehun just nodded in agreement listening to his lawyer, she knew better. 

 

He had his sunglass and face mask cover on his face, his head hanging low while fastening his steps to match with Hwayoung. But he can’t lie if he said that he didn’t get distracted with all those questions from the journalists. 

 

“Are you really guilty on this?”

“What is your comment Sehun-ssi?”

“Don’t you feel bad doing that to a women?”

“Are you even a human with dignity?”

 

He stopped at the last question. It suddenly caught him off guard and surprised that such a question come out from a professional journalist like him, Sehun still remember back to his days with EXO, the same journalist was so busy trying his luck praising him all he could just to have exclusive right to interview with him. Sehun know aware what fame can do to him. 

 

One of the cameraman already picks up the camera, ready to take a moment of Sehun expression, “I have to get a shot of this”

 

“My client have a right to stay silent until everything is decide by court. Please leave him alone” Thankfully Hwayoung was there and quick to analyze the situation. She knew that it will get worse once Sehun get into his emotion and take action. It will only do bad to him. 

 

In Korea, they are very strict into criminal act and law. Everyday there will be headline involving different type of case and it will only make it more worse when it involve a public figure. Even the rich and famous can find themselves in trouble with the law. Being a celebrity in the country does not protect them from the pursuit of justice. Nor does it protect them from becoming a crime victim.

 

Celebrity court cases are a constant media hype. It even get coverage from overseas media. When an idol commits a crime and further goes to trial, one can expect the story to be splashed on the front pages of all the major news outlets and online portal. Within a second, everything is up enough to make the celebrity career goes downhill. While in some cases, celebrities receive an incredible amount of publicity for their crime.

 

Netizen are so over-concerned with the status of the figure being prosecuted, especially idol and they often forget about the the celebrity rights, either they were guilty or not and the process of sentencing regulations in the court— all they want to hear is for the celebrity to be sentenced into the jail. 

 

As idols, inspirations, and publicly-known figures, the courts have to be extremely cautious with the way in which they handle criminal law against such high-status, powerful, and wealthy celebrities. They have to go through all related incidents or documentation before they can start the trial. All investigations need to be doubled check as the coverage are wider compare to the normal criminal case.

 

It is finally the day of trial for Sehun case. Apparently Hwayoung found another proof that can be use for the case. It seems like there is someone behind the false accusations, seems like there is person who purposely want to trap Sehun as a victim and see him suffer. 

 

“Are you ready?” As she said to Sehun. 

 

He hold her hand as for assurances for the last time before he mutters, “But you..did you trust me Hwayoung?”

 

She nodded, one as his lawyer himself, second as someone who had known Sehun better than anyone else for years. “I do. Now let me handle this for you. Remember, there is a chance and justice in every case” 

 

The trial begin with prosecutors giving all the input from their end and Hwayoung defend her client as much as she could. It is the day when Sehun saw her in different perspective; she is so confident and very charisma in every words she used, the way she boldly rejected all the points that made out to his side, she did it without flaw. 

 

“We all here to witness the trial involving ual harassment case between Ms Jung and Mr Oh as it happened in Hongdae Night Club. I hope that everyone in this room will remain professional and follow the procedure of the court. We shall begin” The judge start the session. 

 

The session continues with high tension in the room, mostly between prosecutors and Hwayoung as the lawyer, with Sehun and the victim statement to defend themselves and voice out their point. She really act as her good reputation in law field; as she proves herself to be a very caliber lawyer as she step up into her game.

 

It could be a bad timing to admire her all over again but all Sehun could think is how cool she is and she just look extra beautiful on that day. It suddenly reminds him; someone as great as Hwayoung didn’t deserve someone as low as him. Look at him, seat there on the chair helplessly waiting for miracle for the court to drop the charges towards him. 

 

“The fact that you just show us can be doubted, don’t you think Mr Prosecutor?” She said confidently in front of everyone. 

 

“Logically thinking, how can the victim, a new staff allowed to get on the VVIP section where my client seated at, when the club policy itself only allowed senior staff to served for their VVIP customer? We all aware that even customers itself can’t choose specific staff to serve for them. So how...Unless......someone from the club itself broke the rule and bring her upstairs” She added. 

 

“Make sense” They agreed on Hwayoung point. “However it could be possible with connection that Mr Oh have in the club, considering his status. It seems like he having a good time flirting with victim before he went upstairs to the VVIP section” He handling out the new proof before smirking to Sehun, he then added, “What do you think Mr Oh?” 

 

The reaction in the court room was swift, and unanimous: all of sudden every single person except Hwayoung raised their head shoot out at once to see Sehun face. As this is unexpected input from the prosecutor that Hwayoung herself did not aware, she was shocked too. Slowly, she move her body to face Sehun, only to see him muttered silently, "That is not true, it wasn’t me"

 

It got more heated and force the judge to demand for a silent from everyone. Calmly she look into the evidence and analyze it before come back with her point. This is not the first time that she got sudden attack like this; but knowing that this is a special case where her client is her own ex-boyfriend, it somehow affect her. 

 

“As you can see that the room were dark and we can barely see if the person who flirt with the victim is my client” She counter back. 

 

“We all aware that by law, we can accept unclear evidence without any confirmation. In that case, we demand for the case to be continue in the next trial for further investigation” Hwayoung added. 

 

With further judgement from the judge itself, the court agreed to continue the trial in the next session. It will allow prosecutors to verify more their proof and for lawyers to comeback with solid reason to defend their client. 

 

Hwayoung quickly gather all her things and packed to leave the room. Suddenly she feel suffocated to be in the same room with him, as she already tell herself that he really not guilty in this and as there could be a light in justice for him, but then, she felt like he betrayed her again. 

 

Looking into his eyes again, she sigh and left him.

 

+++

 

It will be hard to convince everyone that he is not wrong; but it will harder if he trying to prove himself in front of someone that have her heart broken by himself. As if the world go against him again; Sehun was trapped again with another ‘evidence’ that he didn’t even aware of. 

 

How many times that he can see those eyes; the eyes that was so disappointed with him. Sehun didn’t mind to tell her for 100 times, as long as he got her trust again. All along, he knew that she just do it on the basis of lawyer-client policy. He still failed to make her believe in him.

 

He doesn’t care about his reputation anymore, he don’t even care if he will lost the career that he build of this years, Sehun just want her to trust him again. He was so helpless as he have no power and no one, not even Hwayoung trust her on this matter. He want to scream, he want to tell the world that this is all lie.

 

Back in Hwayoung office, they had gather again to discuss further on the issue. It is more into she refuse to see him but he beg with his tears to see her face, he need to tell her that this is not the truth, that the world is against him again this time. 

 

“Hwayoung....” He begged again.

 

She shakes her head, unable to look into his eyes. “Stop..Sehun....enough”

 

She throw all the copy of photos she got from the prosecutors directly into his face, slapped him into reality that she is beyond mad at this point. 

 

“What else you did that I don’t know Sehun? Tell me” She said furiously. 

 

“I swear that I didn’t do anything! I was framed!” Sehun voice slightly raised, defending himself when his own lawyer doesn’t seem like believing him. 

 

“Then what about these photos?” Hwayoung try to convince herself that he wasn’t guilty on this, but not when she received the photos by herself. 

 

“Look what you have done. You are just so....” Hwayoung stopped when she realized that she might have crossed the limit.

 

“....Disgusting?” His voice is breaking. 

 

Hwayoung sighed and massage her temples. “You know that is not what I meant, Sehun”

 

“For years....” He continue with disappointments on his face. “I thought that you are the person who know me the most” 

 

“Sehun— I—“ Hwayoung want to explain herself but he stopped her right away. 

 

“It’s okay. I get that a lot actually. I don’t mind others opinion but I just want you to know that I’m still the same Sehun that you know, Hwayoung. I will prove it and I will make you trust me again”

 

“You don’t need to prove anything Sehun. That is your personal life and I respect you as my client” She said before turning her gaze off from him. “.......that’s it. We are over!” 

 

“We are not!” Sehun yelled across the room making Hwayoung flinched a bit. “For God sake why is it so difficult for you to understand that I still love you! I want you back Hwayoung!” 

 

“But not me Sehun!” She fight back with tears slowly falling from her eyes. “My feelings towards you died the moment you broke my heart!”

 

He walks up towards her and hold her arm a little bit too rough, forcing Hwayoung to divert her attention only for him. “Look at me....” As he pleads her, both of his hand cupping her cheeks. “Look at me and tell me that you don’t love me anymore”

 

“Please Sehun... I—“ Hwayoung was in her weakest state. 

 

Sehun knew that her eyes is telling him that she still want him. “Tell me baby, don’t lie to yourself” 

 

“We are done Sehun. It’s all in the past”

 

+++

 

“Bad day?” She was interrupted just when she about to close her eyes for a quick nap. 

 

Hwayoung nodded, her eyes remain closed as she already recognized the voice that come into her office. “I wonder if I get double pay for helping you this time, Jackson” 

 

“Look I know you still mad about me assign you for your ex boyfriend case but hey— I just want to help you” Jackson always one of her closest friends that concerned about her and she knew it that he didn’t just do that for nothing. 

 

He drag a chair in front of her before flopping himself into it. “You had the worst grudges and it kills you everyday. I just want to help you to overcame it” 

 

“By working for the causes of my misery?” She sounds sarcastic. “Thank you so much” 

 

“Ugh come on Hwayoung! You love me!” Jackson back to his playful side when he saw that Hwayoung seems to loose a bit.

 

“Speaking of that, your girlfriend just booked a place for our BBQ session tonight. Make sure you are not late this time dude”

 

He rolled his eyes and walked out from her office. “Sure fam. I had enough when Rosè shouting at me when she found out I’m giving you this case. See you tonight miss grumpy!”

 

Apart of seeing her best friend PDA all the times during the dinner and her so called boss making lame jokes, she felt empty as her mind wonders somewhere else. Hwayoung is tired from her hectic day, court case and had to deal with Sehun, she had enough before calling the night off. 

 

Of course Jackson have to called her as party pooper and Rose whining as she decided to go back earlier but she had to as her body cannot cope with it anymore. Politely leaving the barbecue place, she went to the basement of the building to get into her car.

 

Maybe she is too tired, or too exhausted that she thinks her mind play her some tricks. But she really felt like someone is following her along her way towards her car. She turned back once, and then turned back again to see if there is person. All she could see is an empty parking lot. 

 

She knew that her instinct was right, hence she stepped faster almost running to her car. It’s not the false alarm anymore as she can see the reflection of the stranger from her car window mirror. At this point Hwayoung regretted her decision by parking her car this far. The more she walks, the suspicious sound of the stranger stepping on the ground is getting louder. 

 

Thankfully that she choose to wear sneakers over her killer heel today, or else she probably wouldn’t even make it to run to where she parked her car. Hwayoung unlocked the door hurriedly and locked it again to secure her safety. When she thought that everything is fine, that’s when the stranger knocking her windows harshly forcing her to open the door. 

 

The stranger is wearing mask on his face and even a cap, probably to hide his identity. He surrounded the car and started shouting, banging on the car and trying to open the doors. Hwayoung was so scared that she already crying at this point closing her eyes by hoping that someone will come cross to the basement and help. 

 

It almost midnight and the fact that nobody is there scared her more. She had no idea what will happened to her. She close her eyes tightly and hug her body frame in frighten, but despite of her sobbing sound, she clearly can heard the attacker yelled from outside, “Drop the case or you will die!” 

 

Her mind can’t register anything before searching into her handbag to find her mobile phone and dialing some numbers. She cursed out so bad when her best friend, who the most nearest with her didn’t pick up their phone. Left with no choice, she quickly pressed that specific contact number as the last hope to save her.

 

“Hwayoung!” The voice called again. “Open the door!” After several time that her named was called, she raise her head up to see the caller. When she finally recognized the figure she quickly unlocked the door and exit the car. Trembling, she hold into the person for support. 

 

“Are you okay Hwayoung? Did you hurt anywhere?” His hand still caressing her face to see if she was hurt. Upon receiving her call, he quickly come to the place she mentioned. Lucky for the stranger, he managed to leave the place before Sehun arrived.

 

“I’m so relieved that you are fine” He returns back the hug. Hwayoung was so scared that she don’t want to let him go.

 

“Sehun” She speaks for the first time on that night. “I’m...scared” Her voice are trembling with tears and fears. 

 

“Hey shh....” Sehun quickly pull her into his embrace. After two years, he finally can hug again someone that he thought he had lost. “I got you, okay?” 

 

“They— they want to” She stuttered when trying to explain the whole situation. 

 

“It’s okay Hwayoung. Now you safe with me” 

 

“No! They— they will come and— do bad to me!” She stuttered. This is the first time that Sehun saw how scared she is. It could be a new habit that he just found out; her anxiety, but he definitely knows that Hwayoung is not okay. 

 

“Hey listen here..” He cupped her face gently, eyes to eyes to calm the girl. “Remember when we went to the amusement park? The one that you really wanted to try?” 

 

“Ye..yes” She sounds a bit calmed. “That is one of the best day I ever had” 

 

He nodded to distract her more. “Remember when we took the ferris wheel and have the best view of the city?” 

 

“I remembered it. It was so beautiful Sehun” He learnt that recall the best memories can lessen the anxiety and it seems like working when she’s no longer shaking and has stopped crying. 

 

“It is. I want you to remember that and keep in your mind that you are doing great right now. No one is going to hurt you and you will fine, okay Hwayoung?” 

 

For Hwayoung, he still the same person that she knew few years ago. A warm hearted guy that will just be there whenever she need him. The same person that she fell in love with when they were in high school. The way Sehun hug her, whisper nothing but sweet endearment to calm her, it brings her back to the old nostalgia that she actually missed the most. 

 

Despite of her cold treatment to him, he still come running to her just to make sure that she’s alright. Memories flooded again as she remembered how he came when she stuck on top of the mountain during their early stage of relationship, when everyone including her friends turned their back to her while she got bullied, Sehun still her savior that will wipe up her tears and calm her down with his acts. 

 

He might be right, she couldn’t lie to herself. Hwayoung knew exactly what she felt at this moment. But it broke her heart knowing that the reason for her to be in denial is because she can feel the pain again. She doesn’t want to risk it. She is a person with a great ego, she wouldn’t just admit it. But the fact is, Hwayoung still missing him.

 

This is so wrong. She shouldn’t let herself to rely on him anymore. It is a mistake to get closer with him again. But then, her heart beating again when he caught her into his embrace.

 

“I got you, Hwayoung. I’m here” Then it hits her everywhere. It’s feels like home. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Helloooo guess who’s back