020

TOXIC

+Lets start over again+

 

Sehun apartment is warm and smells like before, the presence of the same furniture arrangement and paintings that he hangs on the wall makes it more familiar. It’s remarkable how being in the same place after so many times can have a calming effect, like walking into a place that she can feel safe.

 

Hwayoung could not thinking back about what just happened, it was too fast and the next thing she knew that she actually safe from the harm. It was a long traumatic night and her energy has been drained out. She just wanted to sleep, let times wash away the memories. 

 

While Hwayoung still blankly staring on the wall in the living room, he make sure that she feel comfortable at his home. Being a gentleman, Sehun made her a cup of warm tea, bring her his oversize hoodie and blanket. Slowly approaching her on the couch, he offer her to sleep on his bed. 

 

“No, I don’t want to. I will just sleep on the couch” After arguing with her, he finally let her do what she wanted. 

 

“Fine. But I want you to change into comfortable clothes before you go to sleep. I will get you extra pillow” Sehun sigh and disappear from her sight. 

 

When Sehun suggest her to stay with him that night, she just agreed with him. There is no point to argue anyway— she still afraid to go back to her own house and most importantly; Hwayoung doesn’t want to be alone. What if the stranger come back? What if there is no one to save her? What if— what if there is no Sehun?

 

Hwayoung don’t want to keep being a burden to him. Sehun should have not be the one should rely on; not anymore. He is the past and getting so close to him will not help her to heal any better. But then, it comes again into her mind— can she really survive without him? 

 

“I wish I could turn back time and save you earlier, Hwayoung" Sehun whisper, now sitting on the floor, eyes directly into her.

 

“No Sehun, you have done much," She murmurs against her knee. " I couldn’t imagine what will happen if you were not there......I— just dont leave me, okay? I’m scared”

 

“I’m here, okay? I love you Hwayoung. I don’t care if you need to stay up crying all night long, I will stay with you. If you need me again, anytime, go ahead and tell me—I will be with you through that, as well. If you don’t need me, I will love you, too. There’s no way that I will leave you again. I will protect you until you die, and after your death I will still protect you” 

 

His voice so filled with love and affection that they shared together back then, the nostalgia that she could almost see the memories floating through the night, memories not only of love and joy and youth, but perhaps, of dreams...that once broken. 

 

This is what she want, what she longed in two years. She want people to take care of her. Hwayoung want them to force comfort upon her. She want the soft-pillow feeling that she associate with memories of being loved when they were still together, soft pillows and his blanket that still has his scent and hot tea. It's not so much the comfort itself as knowing there's someone who wants to take care of you.

 

With the dim light in the living room, the prefect night, Hwyaoung lying down on the couch besides the vanilla aromatherapy candles, making herself sleepy...Sehun lying opposite her at the other end of the couch, staring at her; so completely aware of each other presence.

 

The next day Sehun wake up with aches on his body, soreness of his limb due to the uncomfortable way he slept last night. He can just go inside getting a good sleep on his fluffy bed but then he have Hwayoung to take care of. He respect her decision to not get into his bed, he can at least offer to be near all night to comfort her. 

 

Sehun actually tried to make her feel better. He offered her with good breakfast, delicious lunch and even offer her for a quick movie session. He glad that it is working, he can see that she start to be better, and he can see her smile— Sehun always love her smile. 

 

It was 6pm on the clock, right after she took a nap in couch, again refuse to be on his bed, when Sehun took her home. As Hwayoung still feels not safe to be at her own apartment, he drove her all the way to her best friend apartment. 

 

He did try his luck to make her stay longer; but at the same time Sehun don’t want to make her uncomfortable. It’s not easy to get back with your ex boyfriend who broke her heart— he understands that clearly. It will take time.

 

“Take care and be safe, Hwayoung” Sehun said before she went inside the apartment. At least he know that she will be safe here. 

 

“Hello, Rose” He didn’t forget to greet the owner of the house.

 

It was so awkward and the fact that both of them didn’t end in a good terms make it worst for Sehun and Rose. He still remembered the pain when she slapped him last time. Rose might look like a very reserved-polite girl, but boy you don’t want to messed up with her.

 

“Thank you for dropping Hwayoung to my house” Rose said when her best friend already get into the house. She doesn’t really fond of him especially after everything Sehun did to Hwayoung, but she doesn’t want to rude to him at this point. “It’s been awhile since I haven’t met you” 

 

“Yeah...” He scratch his neck awkwardly. “How are you doing now?”

 

“Good. Doing great with my career and a little bit busy for the wedding preparation” Sehun just nodded but then it caught him attention when she add, “But of course Hwayoung and my brother will be more busy than me. You know him right?”

 

“Hanbin, isn’t it?” He doesn’t have to ask more, he surely get what Rose trying to say. “Ye— yeah of course I know him”

 

Is that how it felt when your heart was broken again? Knowing that you don’t have any chance with someone you love and it automatically make all your dreams and fantasies ruined just like that. Sehun heart was already broken, but then it break him more tonight. 

 

He want to cry, like he did two years ago. He want to scream, so that everyone will know how devastated he is. But then it hit him. What was the point in crying when there was no one to comfort him? And what was worse, when he couldn't even comfort yourself? Hwayoung has made her decision. And he knew it is the right one.

 

When he lost her before, he get used to living day to day without her. But Sehun will never get used to the heartbreak after he believe that there is another chance for him. It’s a karma for him. That’s the time it takes to wake to full consciousness each day and remember, he lost her.

 

The pain of losing someone that means the world to him, for the second time is unbearable. Everything back to the root, his life is meaningless again. He was so sad that he couldn’t spare any more tears to let it out. And Hwayoung was right, everything between them is now the past.

 

+++

 

Two weeks has passed from the incident and it is finally the day, the last predict for Sehun court case. It will be the day where they will decided whether he guilty or not on the accusations that he faced. 

 

Unlike the first time they come to court, it is more calming now. There is less of media, could be that the news wasn’t that ‘hot’ compared to the last event and she could see that everything seems under control. 

 

Past two weeks, she finally come out with proofs that can make Sehun missed the accusations, one of it where she was harassed to drop the case; obviously someone came to blackmail her. It could be that her heart softened for him, but she really wanted to prove to everyone that she is not guilty. Hwayoung trust him. 

 

Even though she felt weird that Sehun has stopped seeing her (apart of business purposes meeting), she glad that he didn’t not give up on his case. It also make motivate her more to win on this case. Hwayoung want nothing but to have his smile and confidence to boost up again on stage, he need to be on stage again. That is his biggest dream. 

 

“You ready Sehun?” She asked him before they enter the room. 

 

“I am. You can do it Hwayoung” He smiles at her as assurances. 

 

“Hey, we are together in this, okay? We can do it” She already plant on her mind that she have to be professional and put aside their personal affair into her work, and especially on a big day like this. 

 

The process went well and thankfully, the proofs that she have to defence Sehun works. It finally revealed in the court that the other side was framed Sehun for a fake ual harassment case. It was planned by one of the media outlet, as they hold grudge on him and SM Entertainment. 

 

It was unintentionally happened, they broke the contract for exclusive right for Sehun photoshoot for their magazine, which cause them a lot of damages. That was when EXO was still new and on the spotlight, and SM Entertainment fault too for being greeding for a better offer and exposure.

 

When the judges announced that he was free from the accusations, Hwayoung let out a relived sigh, grateful that everything is over and they won it. She quickly hug him and congratulate him, feeling so happy that she win another case, especially with her special client.  One of the memorable time in her career. 

 

“I’m glad that I finally get your trust again, Hwayoung. I told you that I’m going to prove to you, thank you” He whispers to her softly, be the first one to pull apart from their hug. 

 

“Sehun...” She wanted to say more but then he started to leave and she getting distracted with other people calling her name. 

 

Media press conference, her co-workers, her best friend Rose was also there. Hwayoung was too busy at that moment that she forget to get back to Sehun. Despite feeling guilty with his last words, she shrugged it off to deal with it later. 

 

“Hi best friend, how are you?” She surprised when she saw a familiar figure come closer to her.

 

“Baek?!” She jumped with excitement. “I missed you buddy!”

 

“God. I missed you more! You changed, Hwayoung. Like...wow!” Baekhyun so excited to see his best friend after so long.

 

“Like what?” Hwayoung raised her eyebrows. “Prettier?” She teased. 

 

He likes that his best friend has changed to someone that he can be proud of, he always be. “Gorgeous. You are the hottest female lawyer Seoul city can have now”

 

“You are so silly Baekhyun” Looking around him again and caught no Sehun on his side, she decided to stop looking for him and to have a small coffee session with Baekhyun instead. After all, they have so many things to catch up after two years. 

 

They catch up so many things despite the time constraint they had. He is the next person in EXO after Sehun that she closed with. Hwayoung still remember how Baekhyun will be there when she whined about her boyfriend or the times when he becomes her secret spy on the dorm, he such a good friend. 

 

She also learnt that Baekhyun now has successfully become an actor, beside being one of singer that have a good vocal in Korea entertainment industry. She so happy with what he becomes now and just like him; she like that they have grown into someone that they can be proud of. 

 

Eventually, they do talk about her ex boyfriend too. While Baekhyun thought it will be better to avoid the sensitive topic at all cost, Hwayoung can’t help but to get the input from his best friend on how he cope with his life after she left. Baekhyun is the closest one to Sehun and being the one who actually care most of their relationship; she knew that Baekhyun have a lot to say to her. 

 

“It just great too see that you actually heal, Hwayoung” He sincerely said that to her. 

 

“I did. But you know.....some things are not easy to forget. I loved him more than I care about myself. How do you expect I’m not broken over the break-up”

 

“You loved him. But then you move on to someone else” He sigh again. “And to be honest, I’m quite sad to know that there is no more hope for Sehun”

 

Hwayoung want to interrupt him, but Baekhyun faster to rant out. “He never stop loving you. Not even a moment. Even when he told me that he found out you are about to get married soon”

 

“Wait—“ Hwayoung felt something wrong somewhere. “What did you say? I-I’m getting married?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Yeah— I was even sadder with the fact that you didn’t tell me that” 

 

“Dude, I was not supposed to get married any soon! Where did you heard this?!” She want to get mad, but mostly want to clear out the misunderstanding. 

 

“Sehun told me this when he drop you at your best friend house that time. She could be the one that told him that......” He is getting confuse. “Wait— that is not true? Meaning that Sehun still have chance to be with you?!”

 

“Yes...and I guess....I will need your help on this Baek” 

 

Hwayoung did not hesitate grabbing her purse and walk out of the coffee shop right away. She have to find him.

 

 

+++

 

“I can’t believe that you actually did that Rose!” She was furious, still typing on her phone to reach out Sehun.

 

“I know! I know!” Rose sigh. “I’m still mad at him for that he did to you okay? That’s why I decided to play prank on him a bit....didn’t know that he take it seriously”

 

When Hwayoung didn’t respond, she trying to poke her arm again. “Anyway...I told him that you and my brother will busy for the wedding preparation, it’s not directly saying you are the one who getting married” 

 

“Hwayong.....” She call her again. Rose felt so guilty, resulting her drifting off nowhere on the road bringing her best friend looking out for Sehun. “I’m sorry okay? I didn’t know you still have feelings for him....now I feel bad” 

 

“Ugh! Thank God I love you Rose, or else....” She look up into her best friend shaking eyes. “Don’t feel bad, I know you just pay a revenge to him because you want to protect me” 

 

Rose can finally breath out a relieve sigh. “Thank God. I love you!” She actually screaming and reach out Hwayoung for a quick hug during stop on traffic light. 

 

With a help of Baekhyun as informer, and Rose hidden drifting-driving skills they finally reach to the designated place. He was still there thankfully, but definitely lonely. The sight of Sehun having a can of beer at one of his favourite street food stall, looking so miserable make her pity him more. 

 

He should be happy that he have won the case; he will be free from the accusations. But then heartbreak is worse than everything, he couldn’t act anymore as what he did in the court earlier. Sehun couldn’t smile while staring at her eyes, afraid that he will be broken. Thus, combination of avoiding her and alcohol might be help.

 

She sat opposite of him, panting, and very nervous. It felt like she about to confess to her high school crush. Or she maybe she about to. It just she will confess again to her ex boyfriend.

 

“Hmm— hi?” 

 

“What are you doing here, Hwayoung?” His voice is weak, no longer with the same energy that he showed when he told her that his love never fade. 

 

She caressing the back of her neck awkwardly, trying to find something to say. “I—“ 

 

“I’m not in a good state, maybe we can talk later?” Sehun said when there is no respond from her. He stood up and leaving the stall.

 

“Wait—“ She stop Sehun from getting away. “Can I ask something?” 

 

“Sehun, do you still love me?” It caught him off guard. 

 

In the silence, she felt the past and the present shift and mix, but that was in her mind. There was no way to comfort her heart that has been lost to the boy that cause her the pain. But she can feels it, what she used to remember as— love. 

 

Hwayoung had him right in her arms now, and for a brief moment, she imagined that she was never, ever going to let him go again. Because this is what she believe, that second chances are stronger than a past. We can let past go. But a second chance? We don't let that pass us by. 

 

“Sehun?” The throaty question had him closing the space between them, pulling her closer into his embrace. “The way I like you say my name, that was the second mistake I made. I haven’t closed my heart yet...”

 

He took one of his hand, caressing her right side cheek slowly, trying to recall the exact feeling that he used to remember when they were together. He love staring into her beautiful eyes, he love how her cheeks will turn red blushing because of his action, he love how she will melt under his touch. 

 

“......I never stop loving you Hwayoung” Sehun then pull back his hand, as if he knew that it is not going to be the same again. “But you are about to be someone else wife, I have to respect that” 

 

“No! Sehun it’s not like that” Hwayoung started to explain everything, she have to make sure that he know the truth. 

 

“My heart still ache when we apart...I don’t want to take the same route again” She sigh deeply. For the first time in two years, Hwayoung stopped lying to herself. “I still love you, Sehun” 

 

Sehun still standing on his place, frozen, trying to figure out what exactly happened at that moment. Today is definitely his day. He win on his case and he get back the love of his life. Having his good reputation again in the industry is one thing, but to have someone he love most back in his embrace is everything.

 

“Isn’t it funny that we end up at the same street when I propose you to be my girlfriend?”

 

“Toppokki stall, lonely street, breezy night— you still the same Sehun that I fell in love” Hwayoung didn’t hesitate to return back the kiss that Sehun initiated. It's the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world.

 

“Do you remember,” Sehun said, “When we first met here and I dragged you, I was ninety percent sure you have crush on me— and you being so shocked when I want you to be with me?” Hwayoung nodded.

 

“Such a cocky ” She shakes her head when recalled back their memory. 

 

“Hwayoung, let me get to my point. You....” He kiss her on her forehead. 

 

“......are exactly my ideal type. And since I love you so much, how about be mine again?” 

 

Love— it probably something that wouldn’t change. We move on and all that, but at the end it could be the same person, the same love that we cherish for. Hwayoung and Sehun will never it go. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: this story will approaching the end BUT not in this chapter, don’t worry, I have few more to show you guys. 

 

P/S: I definitely going to bring back the sweetness and cheesiness of these two ;)