011

TOXIC

+Daegu Town+

 

Sehun can’t pinpoint the exact moment but he realized something was up when he found himself staring at his girlfriend selfie that he secretly took using his mobile phone way longer than necessary, which he caught himself smiling at the end. 

 

He knew that it was only getting worse when she kissed him on the cheek in front of his other best friends and that moment he prayed no one could tell how much he was blushing from it. In their relationship, he was the bold one that will initiate public flirting and skinship. But when she did it out of a blue, it surprised him. 

 

Every time when Hwayoung would lay down with her head in his lap or at some random time when she playfully wink at him from afar, he thought that his heart would just pound out of his chest. They would wander through the streets at night holding hands, her tiny hand clasped into him and she felt nothing but butterflies in his stomach. 

 

He fell in love with his girlfriend.

 

Sehun had his eyes on his girlfriend all the time. That girl was in conversation with the other boys, as they celebrate their graduation on high school at the famous fried chicken restaurant. After few months of so many challenges, she relived that she doesn’t have to be at the place anymore. 

 

She laughed hilariously when Chanyeol told her some silly past story. “I didn’t expect it!” 

 

“You know what at the end of the day we all got detention” He said in respond. “Kai and Baekhyun was totally mad at me for the whole day!” 

 

Suho shake his head when he recalled the memories back. “They were so mean that the nerd boy have to transfer school” 

 

“I couldn’t believe that I’m going to say this but.... I’m going to miss high school” Kai said and everyone couldn’t be more agree with him. 

 

“Maybe we should take a group selfie” Hwayoung suggest. “This is probably the last time we wear this school uniform!”

 

“1.....2......3.......say kimchi!”

 

He glad that Hwayoung could blend well with his clique. In fact, they welcomed her as part of them too, they have have become closer with the girl within these few months. After the incident where she got nosebleed during the dodgeball game, Sehun wasn’t only play part as her boyfriend but also as her one and only best friend.

 

Her ex best friend had left her. Most probably because she couldn’t stand that Hwayoung choose Sehun over her. Not only her but the other classmates just because of the bad rumors about her. Most of them labeled her as bad girl, being the suitor to one of the troublemaker gang in the school. She was lonely along the time and that makes Sehun decided that he have a solid reason to not ditch school anymore. He want to be her protector. 

 

As usual, she would not get the exception from the students gossips. Especially during lunch time when she will just sat in one table with EXO, most of the girls stared at her with the most disgusting expression on them. It was just so irritated to saw their crush to chill with the girl that they envied most. 

 

“Sehun, what would you like to have for dessert?” She asked him. She tugged her hair behind her ear as she focus on the menu. “Should we share then?”

 

He shifted to get closer and tilt his head slightly to see what’s good in the menu. “I don’t know what to choose” He then leaned his body towards the chair. “You can pick anything. I’ll be fine with your choice”

 

“Strawberry pie with nutella then!” She muttered excitedly as that was one of her favorite. 

 

Hwayoung was absolutely cute and her laughter could brighten his entire day. She radiated with confidence like no other girl that he ever met before. She always knew what’s on her mind and never afraid to be herself and speak her words. She can be sassy sometimes, what he like most, yet still maintained her good reputation. 

 

That night, when he decided to across the road to get into that girl, he knew that he didn’t make a bad decision. His mind been telling him that was one of crazy experiment that he would do, but then his heart encouraged him to just approach her. It was their first encounter and he clearly remembered how nervous she was at that time.

 

At first he didn’t think much beside just to have a someone to be on his side. That was when he asked her to be the one, he gladly that Hwayoung accept it without second thought. He knew all along that she like him that much. But what he didn’t expect was, how that girl could snatched his heart within few months they have been together.

 

“So Hwayoung, what’s your plan after this?” Kyungsoo prompt the conversation on that night. 

 

“I’m going to uni soon. I want to be a lawyer” The boys seemed very amazed with her answer.

 

Baekhyun eyes widen as he tried to imagine it. “Wow! Lawyer? You mean the one that works in the court? Amazing!” 

 

“Yes but this is just a dream. I have to go for 4 years of study before call myself as a lawyer” With humble she explained. 

 

“Your boyfriend must be so proud to have a girlfriend like you” Kai . She could see from the corner of her eyes that her boyfriend already smile to his best friend statement. 

 

He just smiles and the next thing she know, he surprised her with a sweet kiss on her left cheek. She was turning red just like the color of roses bouquet that he bought as the graduation gift. “Of course I would be proud of my baby girl”

 

Sehun wouldn’t mind to tell her twice, or even more, or even to the whole world that he was so proud with her. His girlfriend are very smart, a girl with so much dream to achieve for her life. While he didn’t have such a talent in academic field, it is vice versa for Hwayoung. She always did great and he salute her for that.

 

A girl like her could have got any man she wanted. But a guy like him could only dream of getting a woman like his girlfriend. Apart of their different vision on future, she never failed to be his backbone to support his dream; which is to be in idol group. He didn’t have an excellent result to enable him to go to a good uni but she never degrade him about it.

 

She don’t care whether her boyfriend would be either future engineer or just a musician. All she wish is for Sehun to be happy with what he do and never regret it. Hwayoung will be by his side in his journey to make his dreams come true. That will be the least thing that she can offer.

 

He could always count on her to be there for him when the world didn’t understand. She handled his flaws with grace and accepted him just the way he are. Her submissive character was another factor. Sehun noticed that his girlfriend would just do anything because she just so in love with him. Sehun didn’t have a doubt this time, she was indeed the best choice that he ever made.

 

+++

 

Hwayoung stared at her phone, willing it to light up and buzz with the message that her boyfriend had responded. When it did, her body jolted as she unlocked her phone with glee, like a child unwrapping her favorite chocolate bar. And she was not let down. 

 

From: Boyfriend 

Come downstairs. I’m already here. 

 

Her face lit up as soon as she spotted her boyfriend leaned on the wall of her apartment building. Sehun still look good, handsome as ever, even with effortless style that he wore. His hair are slightly longer that it almost cover his thick eyebrows and beautiful eyes. 

 

Their relationship are going strong even when high school was ended. They can’t spend time everyday like they used to, but she glad that her boyfriend willingly to sneak some time in every week to meet her. A simple date will be enough, as long as she able to see the face that she has been missed for the whole week.

 

“Ready to go?” He hold out his hand for her reach. 

 

She nodded her head, but with hesitation. “I’m nervous Sehun” She gulp. “What if your grandma didn’t like me?” 

 

“She will. Trust me” He said casually as if nothing matter. 

 

It just a sudden invitation from Sehun to follow him back to his hometown in Daegu. She was excited at first, since this will be their first short trip but then she remember that they will be there to meet his grandmother, which the only family he had. 

 

It either would be the best experience or the worst for Hwayoung. She was so afraid that his grandmother impression on her will be bad. Will she be just fine? Or worse, what if she wanted them to break their relationship? Hwayoung totally not ready yet for that to be happen. 

 

They took an hour journey by KTX train to the city. Daegu is a peaceful place where nature and modernity collide. It was her first ever visit to the town and she already like it. Most of the buildings are just perfect with it’s amazing design. It wasn’t as tall as what she have seen in her city but it still have the touch of modernism.

 

After half an hour taking a bus ride, they finally arrived to a small village. As soon as she step her feet on the ground, she was amazed with its scenery. “Is this where you grandma live? This place have an amazing view!” 

 

“Come on baby girl let’s get going. We’ll playing tourist later” He just smiles when he saw how excited his girlfriend was. She must be so happy to be there that she forgot how nervous she was before she got there. 

 

Or maybe he said that too soon. Sehun pointed out the house at the end of the village, telling her that they have reached to their main destination. While her boyfriend on his highest energy, eagerly to meet his grandmother that he haven’t seen for awhile, Hwayoung already seems restless. 

 

She tapped her foot nervously on the ground as they waiting for the owner to open it up for them. She took a glance on the house surrounding, again she amazed with its beauty. This is the exact village house that she always saw on the television. Growing up in a big city, she never had a chance to be in a place like this. 

 

After several minutes of waiting, the door wrecked a little, slowly reveal the figure behind it. She gulp. Sehun already jumped into the arm of the old woman, probably in her 70s, leaving her alone awkwardly in the middle of the house lawn. 

 

“Ah I almost forgot! Grandma, this is Hwayoung. My girlfriend” She quickly take a step closer and politely bow towards the elder. 

 

“Girlfriend?” The elder asked. Her eyes not leaving anywhere but to fixed on Hwayoung. With a serious face, she look into her from head to toe. And then she just, “Oh my God you are so pretty, lady!” 

 

She was still surprised with a sudden welcome but quickly wrapped her arm to hug the elder back. Confusedly, she look into her boyfriend direction, but Sehun just shrugged his shoulder while chuckled. Only then Hwayoung able to let out a relived breath, knowing that her boyfriend grandmother seems like please with her visit. 

 

Meeting Sehun family for the first time was one of the nerve wrecking experience for Hwayoung. Surely she had undergo few meetings with strangers before but this was the most challenging one. She was so anxious, desperately want to make a good first impression and hope his grandmother happy to see her with her one and only grandson. 

 

Her visit started well even when her self introductions have a few hiccups and being all sweaty due to the nervousness. It was kind of embarrassing but hopefully it won't be awkward as she have to stay for few days more. On a good side, she glad that his grandmother is a fun person with a sense of humor. It actually help her to be more comfortable in the house. 

 

“Hwayoung, you should try this stew! The ingredients that I used mostly from my own garden. It’s an organic food and definitely good for your skin” His grandmother was just so excited to serve her signature dish to grandson girlfriend during dinner.

 

Hwayoung face has turn pale when she saw the green stew on her bowl. It might be good as what the elder said but she don’t know if she could eat it. It obviously a vegetable stew and too bad that she never like that kind of food ever. But maybe a spoon of it wouldn’t hurt, right?

 

It definitely taste like hell. Sehun grandmother was a good cooker, she was not blaming her as the other dishes was just delicious as ever. But no matter how she tried, Hwayoung couldn’t just accept the taste into . The stew taste so plain and green— it has the strong smell of vegetables extract and herbs. 

 

She don’t want to be a rude guest, especially when the host is just 74 years old lovely and nice lady. That was the worst 30 minutes dinner in her life when she have to act like she love the stew. She probably going to puke if she keep eating it. Meanwhile, his grandmother keep telling her to have some more of the stew. 

 

“Are you okay?” He whispered to her. She just nodded even though her face expression showed otherwise. If there was anyone that knew her little secret, it would be Sehun. After all he was the one who will eat all the veggies on her plates every time they had a meal together.

 

“Grandma, you have to stop that” Both of the ladies turned their head simultaneously at Sehun when he said that. “She didn’t eat vegetables. Look at her face. It might turn green any sooner” 

 

His grandmother suddenly stop in her motion and immediately put the big bowl of the green stew away. Looking surprised as she was taken aback. If there was someone who felt very guilty at that table, it would be Hwayoung. She knew that her boyfriend are concern about her but at the same time she felt very bad towards the elder. 

 

“Oh dear! I’m sorry for forcing you to taste it” It definitely make Hwayoung feel more bad after his grandmother apologized for that. It wasn’t even her fault! 

 

“No..no grandma it’s okay. I still can......try it” She wasn’t really meant it but at least she tried to fix the whole situation. 

 

“There is no way that I would make my lovely guest uncomfortable. Here, you can have all the grill chicken for yourself” She literally just passed a whole chicken grill plate to Hwayoung. Sehun was left dumbfounded when his favorite meal was taken away. “You boy, you have to finish up the whole bowl of this veggie stew!” 

 

“Grandma! You’re being unfair! I’m your grandson!”

 

Later at the night, she found a perfect place to chill within the fresh night air. With the consent of his grandmother, she went up to the rooftop where it have a small balcony. Under the moonlight Hwayoung enjoy the night view alone, admiring the calmness of the village. 

 

Even since she was a kid, she always enjoys staring at the night sky with the bright moon and stargazing. For Hwayoung, the moon is a loyal companion and it never leaves. It’s always there watching her during a light and dark moments. 

 

“Pretty, isn’t it?” Sehun suddenly was there right behind her. She just nodded, agreed with his statement. “Yup Sehun. The moon is so pretty tonight” 

 

His brows furrowed, “No. I’m talking about you. You are the prettiest” She frozen for few seconds before broke into laughter. 

 

“It’s so bright. It reminds me of our stargazing night during the summer camp last year” He added. 

 

“You scared the out of me at that time Sehun!” She chuckled. “But that’s definitely one of the night when the moon shines so brightly. And you know what, I think that my wish have been granted”

 

“You mean the shooting star things? You actually believe on that?!” He laughed at her, only stop when he received a glares. “What did you wish anyway?”

 

She close the space between them and lay her head on his shoulder. “I wish that one day you will treat me like a real girlfriend....and you finally did now” She blushed. 

 

“I’m a bad boyfriend. I supposed to treat you like a princess from the first time but I guess that I took you for granted” He sigh. She saw the regret on his face. “But then you are being so patient with me. I don’t deserve you Hwayoung”

 

“Aha— you right Sehun” He totally didn’t expect that. “Lol I’m kidding! Past is past and what’s matter now we are happy with each other”

 

They have learned that love is something that doesn’t just happen at a certain time. For them, it almost took a year. His relationship was build up over time and the more time he spend with her, the more Sehun realized the love for his girlfriend and how he love to be around her. 

 

She could be clingy, overly attached with her unexpected encounters at some times but he would prefer to spend time with her rather than anything else. It make Sehun learned that love someone can just be super exciting. 

 

“Uh-oh young man. Where are you going?” His grandmother asker as Sehun already following Hwayoung to the guest room. 

 

“Sleeping of course” He answered it innocently. He probably forgot that they were at his grandmother house.

 

His grandmother shook her head before pull one of his ear and drag him away from the guest. “I’m sure that you can always hug your pretty girlfriend almost every day. Tonight you are going to accompany your old grandma to sleep” He already pouted. “No exception Oh Sehun!”

 

“Bad grandma!”

 

+++

 

It was a hot sunny day where the sun was just right above them, feeling so close that it give so much heat. Sehun was getting more impatient as he have waited his girlfriend for almost 10 minutes at the lawn. His grandmother already left to the farm earlier, making them to go for the village tour on their own later. 

 

Sehun facepalm when he saw his girlfriend walked out the house. He aware of the fact that dressing to meet the boyfriend family can be a tricky bet, but his girlfriend shouldn’t really be that modest till it make her uncomfortable. It was summer but she wore a long sleeve tshirt— he really don’t understand that. 

 

“Come here” He lifts his hand into her direction. “This is summer Hwayoung. What are you wearing?” 

 

His mouth are busy blabbering while his hand rolling the sleeves of her tshirt. “There you go. I’m making sure that you wouldn’t be dead by the heats” 

 

He then added, “I know you want to have a good impression on my grandma. But please don’t do anything uncomfortable for yourself. You understand that?” She nodded and trailed him from behind like a little puppy. 

 

They hop on the bicycle and he started to cycle on the road. It was a classic old-school vehicle that his grandmother owned for decades. Surprisingly, it functioning well up till now. Wanted to tease his girlfriend, he then speed up along the way. Hwayoung already shouted from behind for him to go slower, only to tighten her grip on his waist as he increase the pace. 

 

It such a wonderful moment where she able to breath in fresh air of the village, enjoying their times while riding a bicycle with her boyfriend together. She smiles to herself as she thought that this could be the sweetest date for them. This is always appear on romantic drama only and being able to experience it by herself; it make her feel like this is a fairytale. 

 

He brought her to few places. The river that he used to swim when he was a kid, his favorite strawberry farm and even a small topokki stall that he never missed to go every time he was here. The fact that he shared so many details about his life with her, it makes Hwayoung felt so happy. It give her a feeling that Sehun wanted her to be part of his life. 

 

“Should we make a bet?” Sehun suggested. “The one that will catch a fish first will have a wish to be granted” 

 

“But that will be a disadvantage for me! I don’t know how” She said. Sehun took her to a fish pond nearby for fishing. 

 

“You just need to hold it and literally do nothing” He explained. 

 

Due their stay in his village, Sehun just found out that his girlfriend surely a pure city girl that easily excited with almost everything. She never ever did all this activities in her life. Maybe she was pampered with modern lifestyle, that will be an explanation why she couldn’t adapt to a village life very well. 

 

But then he like it when she didn’t complains on anything. And the fact that she actually never did it through out their relationship amazed him more. She was too nice that he just wish that she should lack on something for him to punish her. Not a way, of course. 

 

She’s cute and that was her biggest charm. Hwayoung doesn’t have to act cutely, because she effortlessly just cute as what she are. Just like when she jumped on her place when she caught a fish. “Oh my God! Did you saw that Sehun? Yayy I win our bet!” 

 

The last day of their stay at the village mostly filled with them cozying inside the house. Hwayoung once again grabbed his grandmother attention when she showed her skills on cooking. It was just a simple meal but his grandmother really, really like it. Especially when she saw how her grandson have another plate of the foods after another.

 

It also become Hwayoung revenge time to Sehun as his grandmother just revealed few photos of him during his childhood. He was a chubby little kid that was too adorable. It was cute for her but Sehun wouldn’t just accept it and they even run and catch with each other every time she with his old collection photos.

 

He didn’t changed much. Except for getting more taller and handsome, Sehun was just as same as his 4 years old photo. Hwayoung also look into his family portrait, which the first time for her to saw his parents faces. He have his father eyes and a little face structure from his mother. That was the last photo they took together and as his grandmother said, Sehun refused to look into that anymore after his parents died. 

 

She could feel the sadness in his eyes when they recalled the memories together. It must be hard for both him and his grandmother for losing the family that they loved most. Her tears can’t be controlled anymore when Sehun suddenly cried and hugged his grandmother tightly. 

 

“Come on Hwayoung. This is your last day and you still afraid to hold Vivy?” Sehun asked as they were at the garden playing with the puppy. “He wouldn’t bite his mommy anyway” 

 

She confused, “Mommy?” As she asked. 

 

“Yes mommy. I’m his daddy and with you being my other half.....you are automatically become his mommy!” Awww why he have to be this sweet. 

 

She have no allergies towards a puppy or any pet. But she literally have a fear on them. Sehun just found out this when the first time she met his pet. Vivy was just leaning on her leg affectionately but due to the sudden contact, Hwayoung immediately shouted and jumped up to the dining table.

 

It was so unfortunate as Sehun really love his puppy and he wish that his girlfriend could like Vivy as much as he is. But this is not something that he could force. The last time he make his pet to sit on her lap, she was just frozen at her place and the next thing he knew she was crying so bad. 

 

Her boyfriend called again for her attention. She took a huge gap between their seats just because Vivy was there too. “I don’t know okay I’m just afraid” She have to admit that she easily scared with any pets. “By the way, why you named it like that? He is a male breed” 

 

“Vivy was way too soft and feminine so we decided to give a cute female name to him” He explained and get up from his seat towards his girlfriend. “Hey let me help you to overcome your fear” 

 

“Do it....like this” Sehun took his free hand to hold her hand and then slowly to rub into his pet fur. “He’s cute right? You can’t be afraid to a little cute puppy” 

 

“He really cute tho. I acknowledge that. But still......” She was trying to form an excuse. 

 

“Hwayoung, you will be the best girlfriend ever if you could love him as much as I am” And from that moment, she promise herself that she would overcome her fear. 

 

“Ah! Sehun! About our bet just now” Hwayoung was fidgeting in her seat thinking the best way to deliver her words. She only have one thing on her mind. Something that are just simple but yet they have never properly did it. 

 

“Alright princess please tell me your wish” He already got the hints that she actually wanted to redeem her prize. 

 

“Can we go for a date?”