CHAPTER 1

SERVING UP TROUBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

            So-dam found herself rooted on the spot upon stepping inside the horses' stable. She often found Old Man Ahn Sung Ki, a former army sergeant, inside the stable taking care and feeding the horses. Ahn Sung Ki was almost in his eighties, but he was still reliable and was good with the horses.

           

 

            But today, the old man was nowhere to be seen. Instead, So-dam found a tall man brushing the mane of Mochi, her favorite mare.

           

 

            So-dam could only see the man's back as he continued grooming the horse, but she was certain this was the first time she had seen him. He was a tall man with straight, dark hair reaching down to the back of his neck.  If So-dam would make a guess, the man was probably more than 5’10 feet tall. But the man's height wasn't the only things that caught her eye. He stood with an air of confidence. His wide shoulders and V-shaped torso reminded her of those strong action heroes she often saw in movies. He looked like an outdoorsman.           

 

 

            The man was wearing a regular sleeveless shirt, which gave So-dam full view of his muscled biceps as he brushed Mochi's coat. Faded jeans and flip-flops complemented his shirt. His clothes were similar with what the other regular workers in the ranch often wore, but So-dam could feel the man's strong personality emanating from his simple get up. He seemed built to last and could thrive in whatever hardships life had to offer.

           

 

            So-dam found herself staring continuously at the man. Studying him. If she would be asked to describe what kind of man he was just by looking at him, the words strong and sturdy immediately came to her mind. He moved with ease and confidence, his stance perfectly balanced. Her eyes began to scrutinize his legs. If the man was wearing shorts, So-dam suspected those legs would also be well muscled like his arms. The man's physique reminded So-dam of athletes.

           

 

            "Is there something you want, Miss So-dam?" asked a deep and husky voice.

           

 

            So-dam raised her gaze and was met by two dark, amused eyes. She felt her face grew hot as she realized what she had been doing. Did the man catch her inspecting his body?

           

 

            "You know me?" she said.

           

 

            "I always make sure to know who my bosses will be whenever I apply for a job. So, is there something I can help you?" The man's words were respectful, but the tone of his voice was not. He was taunting her as if he was the boss and not her. So-dam also noticed that he was speaking more like an educated person than a simple ranch hand.

           

 

            So-dam frowned. She didn't like the man's attitude!

           

 

            "What are you doing here?" Her voice rose. "And where is Old Man Ahn Sung Ki?"

           

 

            "In the hospital," he answered matter-of-factly.

           

 

            "What happened to him?" she couldn't help but feel concerned. Ever since she arrived at the ranch, Old Man Ahn Sung Ki was the only one she could call her friend. The old man was also the one who taught her everything she knew about horses and horseback riding. It was through the old man that she discovered she had a natural instinct about horses and riding them.

 

 

            "He had trouble breathing. But the doctor said it was due to too much work. He is almost eighty years old, and he shouldn't be working here in the stable. At his age, he should be resting or at least doing jobs more appropriate for his age."

 

 

            "Is he alright?" asked So-dam. Even if she wanted to visit the old man in the hospital, her uncle would never allow her to leave the ranch.

 

 

            "He is getting better and would soon be discharged. He won't be coming back to the ranch though. I heard he would be living with one of his sons after getting out of the hospital. By the way, I am Bong Pil. Mrs. Jin Kyung hired me to replace Ahn Sung Ki. And I could do a much better job than him."

 

 

            The man's words were full of arrogance! Despite this, So-dam couldn't take her eyes off him. Even while his back was turned away from her, his physical assets already impressed her but looking straight at him, she found plenty more to praise.

 

 

            The man's shirt clung to his body, clearly showing his flat stomach which So-dam suspected to have washboard abs. She rarely saw a man this fit in real life. Most men in the ranch were either bone thin, flabby or fat! He also sported a beard but despite the face hair, she could clearly see the handsome face of the arrogant man standing before her.

 

 

            He had square jaws, a straight nose and those eyes... Those eyes never showed any fear or any humility. His teasing dark eyes could make a woman swoon, not that she would be swooning anytime soon.

 

 

            So-dam wanted to order Bong Pil to get a shave and comb back his hair that had fallen down his face, slightly hiding his eyes. She would also make him get rid of those sideburns. She wanted to tell him that his hairstyle had already gone out of fashion!

 

 

            "Are you going for a ride, Miss So-dam?" he asked.

 

 

            So-dam heard the question. But she found herself still too busy appraising one of the best male species she had laid eyes on. He didn't look like an ordinary ranch worker or a stableman. There's something in the way his eyes shone and the way he carried himself. He looked like a man who never followed rules and was used to giving orders to others. But people who take care of horses, according to Old Man Ahn Sung Ki, always needed to appear in command in order to properly control the horses.

 

 

            "Are you really qualified to take care of these horses?" she asked suspiciously.

 

 

            "I am not like Old Man Ahn Sung Ki who just takes care of horses. I am a horse trainer. I train horses to run in races."

 

 

            So-dam was surprised by this.

 

 

            "We only have three horses in the ranch. And not one of them would ever become a racehorse. If I am not mistaken, horses that join races are thoroughbreds or Arabian stallions." If there was any creature in the stable that could be called a thoroughbred, she was sure it was the man standing before her. Despite his arrogant attitude, So-dam couldn't deny that Bong Pil was a fine specimen of the human male species.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter