Picture Perfect

That Day in Spring

 

 

It was subtle at first. The changes. 

 

She now tries to have a conversation with others. Talks to them not because she had to, but because she wanted to. It's limited to a few words, but hey, it's a start.

 

Breakfast had become interesting ever since she decided to eat it with the rest of the group. She chooses the seat next to Jiyong and almost always, it's on his right side. Nothing was planned, it appears as though her subconscious was taking over her actions. At least that was how Jae Suk interpreted it. He doubts she's even aware of what she's doing.

 

She hates it when people touch her food, one of the major reasons why rules were made around the house in the first place. And yet this specific notion gets thrown out the window as the young man beside her casually spears the sausage on her plate and shoves it in his mouth with a satisfied hum. 

 

She still likes to keep to herself, but doesn't stay cooped up in her room when the rest of the guys, in a streak of insanity, decided to play badminton in ankle-deep snow. She watches at the sidelines and cheers for both teams. In the end, Mino and Jiyong won the game while Jae Suk begged for respite due to his aching joints. She offered them hot cocoa and biscuits. Jiyong was the only one who got chocolate chip cookies. Everyone noticed. Everyone pretended they didn't. 

 

She smiles now. More frequent as of late. And when Jiyong shares a very poorly thought joke, she's the only one who laughs, granted it was very faint, but a laugh just the same. Again, they all notice. Again, they say nothing. 

 

He doesn't hover. Tae Hee knew that much about his friend. But for a certain quiet country girl, he makes an exception. Wherever she goes, he follows. When they gather in front of the TV to watch a movie, it wasn't uncommon to see Dara on the couch and Jiyong sprawled near her feet. When they're squeezed together inside Jae Suk's truck on the way to the concert, his friend makes sure the only girl in the group was safely tuck between him and the next non-living thing, which of course happens to be the door. Tae Hee notices the pattern and wishes he didn't.

 

He asks her opinion about anything and everything. It doesn't matter if it was about the weather or how the bus managed to never be late or the sleeping position she prefers—he'd still be curious. One time he asked her if she liked black and she told him it reminded her of funerals. The next day, he wore the same black shoes, only this time, it was doodled with daisies. Lots and lots of it. 

 

 

Dara's POV 

 

I'm not a fan of concerts.

 

Well, anything to do with crowds, really. But as I watched Mino nervously pacing behind the stage, I kinda felt a little better which was of course the wrong type of sentiment given the circumstances. 

 

"I...I don't think I can do it," he stuttered, wiping beads of sweat from his forehead as he glanced out the curtain and into the open field. 

 

"What's the matter?" I asked despite having a guess as to why he's behaving like this.

 

He pulled the strap of his guitar over his head and placed it on the plastic chair. "There's too many people, noona." Mino's eyes went skyward, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed. "Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick." 

 

This was one of those times I wished I knew the right words to say. I helplessly ran a hand over his back to calm him down. He took hold of my arm and looked at me with huge eyes, blatant panic written all over his face.

 

"Oh God. What if I mess up?"

 

"Then you mess up."

 

We both whirled around as another guy entered the tent. The same customized shirt Jae Suk made us all wear with the words, 'Mino is a Winner,' peeked through the multiple layers of clothing he had on. He wore a plain black mask and a cap, nothing special, but the way he carried himself with so much confidence in his stride told me this guy was none other than Jiyong.

 

"Doesn't mean you stop playing, though."

 

He moved to stand in front of Mino, pulling the curtain a little to watch the waiting crowd. 

 

"I don't know," he muttered defeatedly while hanging his head in worry. "What if they don't like our music?"

 

Jiyong let the curtain fall and turned to look at Mino, his brows in a slight furrow. "It's not about liking the music. It's about making them feel it." He placed a hand over his shoulder. "The first performance is always the scariest, but it's also the most memorable. Don't aim for perfection, don't even aim to please...just sing." He then lightly punched the left side of Mino's chest. "Sing from the heart, dude. That's all there is to it."

 

The younger man still looked a bit shaken, but his eyes now held more courage than it did a few moments ago. He finally smiled and gave Jiyong a determined nod. 

 

"I'll do my best, hyung."

 

Jiyong chuckled and clapped him in the back like a dutiful big brother would to his dongsaeng. "I know you will."

 

"Okay, concert's about to start!" One of the show's organizers announced through his megaphone. "Those who are not performing kindly step out the backstage, please. Thank you!"

 

"We'll be cheering for you," I turned to Mino with a smile. "Mino, fighting!!"

 

He shot me a grateful grin before joining his band behind the waiting area. As for me and Jiyong, we were ushered outside the tent and instructed to go to our designated seats. Thanks to the flyers and Bom's powers of persuasion, almost eighty percent of the town's population were gathered here tonight. Normally, I would've shied away from these kind of events, but it was for a good cause and Mino needed all the support he can get. 

 

"What took you guys so long?" Tae Hee asked as we settled on our seats in the bleachers which was conveniently—mostly for Jiyong's sake—located at the farthest back so no one would be able to notice us unless of course they decided to watch the concert with their eyes behind their heads. He handed us each a bag of  snacks.

 

"Mino had the jitters," Jiyong simply provided and tapped the empty space between him and Jae Suk. I quietly took the offered seat.

 

"Ah," came Tae Hee's reply. He could probably sympathize based from first hand experience. After all, he did work for GD. I bet he'd seen him freak out multiple times.

 

The wide screen started showing some footage of the rehearsals and I didn't fail to notice that Hae In appeared approximately five times, not counting the one where he shyly ducked behind the huge speakers to escape an interview. I smiled. Some things never change. He's still as camera shy as he was before.

 

The emcee then emerged from behind the stage and announced what the winner for tonight's battle of the bands (I wasn't even aware that this was a competition, let alone the fact that it was a battle) would get by the end of the night. As it droned on, I sneaked a glance at Jiyong beside me, my thoughts from earlier returning to my mind. I wonder if he feels pressured right before performing.

 

Does he sweat like crazy? Does he feel like he's going to faint? Did he ever find it hard to breathe?

 

I suppose I could just ask him. It's not like I'm going to publish it on paper or announce his weakness on national television. Well, I'm still debating on it anyway.

 

"You're staring."

 

I blinked. Jiyong turned his head to look at me, one eyebrow raised in question. 

 

"You know, you gotta stop looking at people like you want to stab them."

 

"I don't," I said defiantly.

 

He threw his popcorn in the air and expertly caught it in his mouth. "I can very much tell you the difference between looking smitten and just plain homicidal," he said, munching. "You are definitely the latter."

 

I ignored his accusation and focused on separating the blues from the reds in my box of candies.

 

"Seriously, though." He bumped my shoulder playfully. "Did you wanna say something?"

 

I shook my head. "It's...nothing."

 

"You know how I feel when you say nothing, right?"

 

"But it's really nothing," I insisted.

 

I felt his weight shift as he leaned closer. "Is that why you're trying to organize your M&M's by color? That's brown by the way, not black." 

 

I frowned and picked the 'brown-and-not-black' one that he pointed out, bringing it closer for thorough inspection.

 

He was right. 

 

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and placed the button-shaped chocolate on its right color. 

 

"So will you tell me what's on your mind or do I have to eat all your M&M's for you to spill?" He didn't look like he was kidding. 

 

I sighed. "What you said to Mino back there," I started, my voice just loud enough for him to hear. "It was really beautiful. You made him feel better when I couldn't."

 

He scratched the small stubble on his chin. I briefly wondered if he's letting it grow out. I hoped not. Then I quickly disregarded the thought. Why would I care if he grew a beard or a goatee? It's his face. He can do whatever he wants with it.

 

"He's quite good," he said, a hint of admiration in his voice. "I've heard him sing you know. Kid's got talent."

 

I nodded. "Makes sense."

 

"Mmm? What makes sense?"

 

"Why you're GD, Bigbang's leader."

 

He laughed at this. "Why? Because I give really great pep talks?"

 

"No." I turned to fully look at him. "Because you empower them."

 

I never got to hear his reply, that is if he had any, because the lights suddenly dimmed and the opening act began. Samchon then started asking me how to make the camcorder work and I spent the next ten minutes teaching him how to press the red button on the right. 

 

 

GD's POV

 

He didn't vomit. Which was a relief since he looked pasty when he came out from behind the velvet curtain. In fact, I could safely say that Mino crushed it. And I'm not saying this because I'm wearing a shirt that literally conveys the same idea in glittered writing. 

 

"Are you guys sure? Like, really really?" 

 

The concert finished ten minutes ago and we were all huddled up on the outer arena to congratulate Mino's band for bagging the first prize which turned out was a full-paid expense trip to Seoul for a boot camp sponsored by—this came as a complete shocker—YG Entertainment and will be supervised by none other than—would you believe it—yours truly.

 

"Did I actually consent to this?" I had asked Tae Hee, dragging him to the side as soon as we left the bleachers.

 

He was trying hard not to roll his eyes. "Yes."

 

I quickly followed with, "Was I sober?" 

 

At which point the eye rolling finally made its presence. I really need to start reevaluating my life choices. 

 

"I was so nervous I thought I wouldn't be able to reach the high notes!!" Mino said in a rush, his words almost incomprehensible from all that energy. "But I did! Hahahaha!! Did you see me  from the stage, noona?"

 

Dara bobbed her head, smiling widely at Mino as she raised both thumbs up. 

 

"Ya, we need to document this!" Jae Suk exclaimed and retrieved a small camera from his backpack. "Mino, let's have you and your group pose for the camera." He took a few shots before shouting, "And raise that trophy, you should be proud!"

 

Mino looked embarrassed as we snickered at the sides. 

 

"Okay, let's have a family picture!!" Jae Suk looked around and finally decided to position the camera on top of a wooden post. He then bent over to set what I'm assuming was the timer. "You can take your positions now."

 

Mino stood at the center with Dara on his left side. She looked especially tiny with her oversized clothes and with Mino towering beside her. Jae Suk suddenly straightened and turned to frown at us. 

 

"Well? Are you going to make me wait all night?" He said gruffly, hand on his hip. 

 

I blinked in confusion for a good three seconds before the message got through my head. 

 

Oh. Oh.

 

"You mean..." I pointed to myself and the others, just to be sure. 

 

Jae Suk looked like he wanted to throw his shoe on my face. "No, I was talking about the nameless people on the other side of the courtyard whom I've never talked to in my life," he muttered in a sarcastic voice. "Of course I meant you guys!"

 

Dong-Gil chuckled and moved first, apparently not needing to be told twice. He reached them in three long strides. Tae Hee and my driver followed suit. Positioning myself on the other side of Dara, I made sure to leave a couple of feet between us. She glanced up and gave me a questioning look. 

 

"What?" 

 

Without saying anything, she grabbed the seam of my sweater and pulled me closer to her side with only an inch separating us. I could actually feel her body heat through her jacket. 

 

"I'm not going to bite," she reasoned wittily before releasing my shirt. 

 

I grinned widely behind the mask just as Jae Suk ran toward us, swiftly crouching in front of Mino and doing a huge heart sign over his head using both arms.

 

"We have four shots, guys! Make it count!!"

 

The timer started its countdown and everyone made their poses. I was still caught up with a good comeback with Dara's statement that when the first flash came, I wasn't even looking at the camera. 

 

"Okay do another pose!!" Mino yelled and did a fierce look. I held out a peace sign. 

 

"Gwiyomi!!" Jae Suk suggested and everyone did the duck face while Dara puffed her cheeks and pouted. I merely raised both hands to form bunny ears over her head. 

 

"Say Saranghe!!" This one actually came from Tae Hee. What a sissy. Kekeke

 

A lightbulb moment happened in that split second and with physical agility I forgot I possessed, I stepped back so I was slightly behind Dara. I then draped both arms around her shoulders in a circle while strategically placing my chin over her head.

 

She froze.

 

"Saranghe," I muttered, my voice easily getting drowned out by the others.

 

Then the camera flashed.