Good fortune

That Day in Spring

 

 

 

Dara brought her knees to her chest. She had climbed up the roof earlier to spy on the black vehicle entering the gates of the mansion in the hopes that it had been one of her friends who came to visit her. Her expectations were thwarted the moment a man in military uniform stepped out of the car. He stayed for half an hour and eventually left. They must've talked about that stupid box again, she thought bitterly. She's been held captive by her own father and kept in house arrest for almost a week now. Her social privileges were revoked and her phone confiscated like a common prisoner. The only people she ever gets to see were Butler Kim and Hong who almost never leaves her side even when she goes out for a leisurely stroll in the gardens. She couldn't get past the security and it's not for lack of trying. The number of guards had sporadically increased since she arrived, making an escape plan harder to do, if not impossible. Dara craned her neck. The stars were shining brightly tonight.

 

"Jiyongie, are you seeing this too?" she muttered under her breath and began drawing an imaginary line across the dark sky. She missed him. She missed the boys. She missed Bom's raucous voice and Chaerin's annoying laughter. Heck, she even missed Iye.

 

The whirring sound of the gates being opened caught her attention and she once again crept toward the edge, peeking over the rafter to see who could be visiting his father at such a late hour. She was surprised to see another black car entering the premises. Who could it be? she wondered to herself. Just then, her stomach started growling. She remembered she had skipped dinner earlier. She's gotten so used to eating with Jiyong that doing it by herself felt lonely. Heaving a sigh, she made her way back to the attic and checked if the coast was clear before stealthily going down the stairs to the kitchen. A couple of men in suits were posted outside her father's office, a few of them she didn't recognize. Dara tiptoed to the counter and grabbed the instant noodles from the tray before filling it to the brim with hot water. Once done, she was about to return to her room again when she saw one of the guards rounding up the corner. Quickly ducking behind the huge porcelain urn, she clutched the ramyeon closer to her chest as she listened in on their conversation.

 

"Yah, what are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be outside agassi's room?"

 

"Aiiish, don't worry about it. She's asleep."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yep. Checked it before I left. Besides, I have a good view of her door from here. If she comes out, I'll know."

 

"Alright," she heard the other guard sigh. "Make sure to return to your post before heojangnim finds you here."

 

"Arasso."

 

Once the guard left, she peeked through the partition and saw the man assigned to her totally absorbed in playing with his phone. Ditching her slippers, she duck-walked into the adjacent room and escaped through the back door. If there was an advantage to living in a mansion, it would be the availability of various places for her to hide. One she particularly liked was the huge greenhouse situated near her bedroom window. Different types of flowering plants were cultivated and grown here by Butler Kim. And the best part about it? No cameras. She supposed she should thank her father's precious Bonsai trees for this. The chairman feared that the slightest amount of radiation might cause abnormalities in the growth of his favorite pastime, hence the non-existence of CCTVs in these parts. Dara sat on the hard ground behind a shelf full of succulents and opened the lid. "Jal mukkesseubnida," she cheerfuly muttered to herself, breaking the chopsticks apart before finally digging in. She was enjoying her meal in blissful silence when out of nowhere, a dark figure appeared in front of her. She held her breath as he lit his cigarette and slowly exhaled a puff of smoke. Just as he was about to turn back, her elbow accidentally hit the shelf behind her and a few pots fell to the ground. She inwardly cursed and scrambled out of her hiding place to salvage the plants.

 

"Careful. That's poison ivy."

 

"What??" She whirled around and shot him an incredulous look. "Are you serious?!" She quickly wiped her hands on her pants.

 

He picked it up for closer inspection. "Ah, my bad. It's just perilla leaves," he drawled, his tone implying he was either stoned or bored to his wits end. He suddenly straightened from his crouched position and towered over her. She had to take a step back from his sudden proximity. "Goodness," he softly muttered as he studied her face. "The resemblance is uncanny."

 

Dara paused, noticing his black suit and ed white shirt. His clothing resembled that of her father's security team, but his banmal way of speaking, not to mention the super laid-back demeanor tells her an entirely different story. "Ahjussi...are you drunk?"

 

"Mmm. I may have had some alcohol on the way here." Tilting his head lazily toward the direction of the gates, he returned the cigarette to his lips. "Wae? Is there a problem?"

 

Aigoo. This guy's probably new, she sighed in relief. Deciding to turn the tables on him, she went, "Tss. Ahjussi, the boss runs a tight ship around here so you can't just leave your post whenever you want to." She playfully slapped his arm. "But it's fine. I won't tell if you don't. Aratji?" She smiled up at the stranger. He just stared at her in confusion. "Oh and one more thing. If you want to smoke, do it on the shed behind the garage. It's well hidden from the cameras and won't trigger any alarms. The other guys do it there too so it's basically safe." The sound of approaching footsteps made Dara's eyes widen. "Oh ." She hurriedly picked up the discarded carton and chopsticks before gripping the guy's shoulder. "I was never here, okay?" she whispered before scurrying past the potted hydrangeas and out the open door.

 

 

~~~+++~~~

 

 

He watched in amusement as her bare feet hung precariously from the window.

 

"You're late."

 

Taking one last whiff, he dropped the cigarette to the ground and crushed it under his shoe before turning. Chairman Park stood at the entrance to the greenhouse, flanked by two guards who were blatantly sizing him up. "I'm here, aren't I?" Pocketing his hands, he walked toward them while surreptitiously glancing over his shoulder to check if the girl had made it safely inside.

 

"Thank you for coming on such short notice."

 

"I had no other choice," he bluntly replied. "Your men weren't exactly...informative."

 

"Majayo. I heard you injured half of the team I sent."

 

He shrugged. "Your lackeys came to my place unannounced. What did you think I'd do? Welcome them with open arms?"

 

The corners of the chairman's lips lifted into a smile. "My apologies. I'll remember to call it in next time." 

 

"You better," he muttered and removed his suit as they walked, the prominent serpent tattoo peeking from under his sleeves. Making sure the guards were a good distance away, he fished the flash drive from his pocket and handed it to him. "Everything you asked is in there."

 

"And you're sure they won't be able to trace it back to you?"

 

He snorted. "I'm retired, not incompetent."

 

"I mean no offense—"

 

"Relax, brother. I'm only joking." He clapped him on the back. "Running a private military company has its perks. I can gain access to just about any information or in your case, wipe them out completely." 

 

"Thank you." He slipped the USB on his pocket. They stopped in front of the fountain, their gazes fixed on the marble statue.

 

"It's amazing how she looks exactly like her."

 

"I know," he spoke in a quiet voice.

 

Jungmin rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat. "You know I don't usually question your decisions, but do you really think it's a good idea to do this? I mean, after all this time...why now?"

 

Chairman Park folded his hands behind his back, his mouth set in a straight line as he looked away. "Because I need to protect her."

 

"And what if she ends up hating you?"

 

He glanced up at Dara's window. "She already does. I don't see how it could get any worse."

 

 

~~~+++~~~

 

 

Dara gave a tight-lipped smile. Internally, she was seething. She didn't know what was worse, standing beside her father dressed in designer clothes from head to foot and looking like a prized trophy or listening to people talk about her as if she was invisible. "She must take on after her mother's looks, right?" one of the reporters lightly commented.

 

Her father expertly put on a well-practiced grin. "Well, she certainly didn't get that from me."

 

They all laughed. Dara felt like puking at how phony they all sounded. Wasn't it just weeks ago when they publicly humiliated her with crass remarks and horrible write-ups? And now that her father had officially announced her as his successor, suddenly she became this respectable down-to-earth heiress and no longer the 'superstar's current plaything.' Tss. Nothing disgusts her more than foul media play. She didn't even want to be here in the first place. Her father had forced her to attend their company's annual charity gala and despite begging not to go, he was resolute in his decision. A group of stylists and hairdressers came to the mansion and spent the whole afternoon plucking and pruning her until she resembled one of those snobbish princesses you see on TV dramas. Her hair was styled in a low ponytail and she was clad in a white backless cape dress and ridiculous high heels. Her legs were aching. Her back hurt from standing like a rod for over an hour as she posed for the cameras.

 

"Do excuse us." Her father gently took her hand and looped it around his arm. They all bowed and thanked him. "Smile my dear," he softly whispered as they waded through the crowd. "I know private functions bore you, but this is one way of making a statement. These charlatans need to learn their place once and for all." 

 

Dara took a deep breath and nodded. She just wished they're quick learners because her heels are killing her. 

 

"Heojangnim." A man and his wife approached them. She bowed in respect as her father shook hands with the man. "It's great to finally meet you in person, dear," said the woman with a kind smile. "I've always told your father to bring you over to the house when he visits, but he never does." She frowned up at him.

 

"My daughter is extremely shy, as you know."

 

"Aigoo. With a face like that, there's nothing to be shy about." The man introduced himself, "Song Taeji at your service. And this lovely woman right here is my wife, Soojin. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sandara-ssi."

 

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Song," she replied and shook their hands. 

 

"How was your flight from Japan?"

 

"Had some minor turbulence, but otherwise fine, heojangnim. Thank you for asking."


"Well, I'm sure the two of you are hungry." He turned his head a fraction and motioned for Hong to come over. "Stay with Dara while I discuss some matters with the Songs." Before she could even process what he meant, they already started walking toward the conference room. Great. Now he's left me with Robocop again. With a sigh, she occupied one of the deserted tables by the corner and silently watched as couples waltzed across the dance floor. Ironically, she felt like an outsider looking in at her own party. All of these people were business associates of her father's not hers. In fact, the only person she recognized was Doctor Park, Bom's dad. She wanted to ask him if Bom was coming, but she never got the chance due to the press tailing her every move.

 

"Miss Dara?"

 

She turned her head and saw a guy in a tux shyly standing a few meters from where she sat, a single rose dangling from his hand. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed some of his friends encouraging him from the sidelines. When he took a step forward, her bodyguards automatically stood to block his way. "Um...I just w-wanted to g-give—" When Hong started to crack his knuckles, the poor guy made a hasty bow in front of her and scurried away, fearing for his life. As soon as he was gone, the rest returned to their former positions while Hong stood beside her again with the same grim expression, hands clasped at the front, eyes narrowing at anyone who dared look at her direction.

 

"Was that really necessary?" she grumbled. As always, she didn't get any response. She crossed her arms and scowled. At least Dong-gil was better company.

 

A waiter passing by suddenly paused at her table. "Care for some fortune cookie, miss?" He offered one to her. She accepted it with a smile and thanked him. Leaning back, she cracked the cookie open and happily munched on it before unrolling the paper. She froze. Her breath hitching as she read the words.

 

Nobody knows. We always know.

 

She raised her head and searched the crowd. The waiter was gone. She glanced back at the paper in her hands. She flipped it over. Music room was scrawled in familiar handwriting. Dara swallowed. She needed to get out of here. Opening her purse, she inconspicuously tossed the piece of paper inside then slowly pushed back her chair. Her bodyguards instantly circled around her. "I need to go to the bathroom." Hong nodded and gestured to one of the guards to come with him. "Alone," she firmly added.

 

"Jeosonghamnida, but we can't let you out of our sight. Chairman's orders."

 

Dara mentally cursed. "Fine," she gruffly replied before heading toward the women's room at the farthest end of the floor. When she was about to enter, she held her hand up to stop them. "You guys can wait in the hallway."

 

"Agassi—"

 

"I have an upset stomach, Hong. Are you sure you want to be outside the door when I have to go number two?" She crossed her arms and raised a brow at him. His sidekick snorted with laughter while he looked slightly taken aback. Squaring his shoulders, he finally went, "Alright. Fifteen minutes and not a second longer."

 

"Yah, you can't rush mother nature!" she whined. 

 

"Fine. Twenty and I'm kicking the door down."

 

"Deal. Now go." She waved them away. Making sure they had their backs to her, she slowly walked toward the corner and pushed the door leading to the emergency exit. As soon as she got to the stairs, she ran. It was a good thing she knew where to go or else her whole escape plan would be all for naught. Taking a few sharp turns, she finally arrived in front of the music room. She leaned on the wall and tried catching her breath. Her heart was pounding crazily in her chest, either from the run or the suspense she wasn't sure. After a few moments, she straightened her dress and brushed a couple of stray hairs from her face. It's going to be fine, she psyched herself before pushing the door open. The room was bathed in muted light coming from the bay windows. She stepped inside, her heels going clippity-clop on the wooden floor.

 

"Hello? Is anybody—" Her words were cut off when a hand descended over . She screamed.

 

"Shhh. It's me," a voice spoke in her ear. Dara immediately stopped squirming. "I'm going to release you now, okay?" She nodded. As soon as he did, she whirled around. Emerging from the shadows and wearing a hotel valet uniform, Jiyong took off his cap and smiled at her. Eyes welling with tears, Dara rushed toward him and he quickly enveloped her in a tight hug. She gripped his clothes and started sobbing on his chest.

 

"There, there." He chuckled, gently her hair. "Don't cry, love. Or else your make-up's gonna get ruined."

 

She sniffled and leaned back. "It's waterproof."

 

Jiyong laughed again and wiped her tears. After giving her a few seconds to compose herself, he looped his arms around her waist and brought their heads close. "Hello."

 

"Hi," she answered in an equally soft voice.

 

"Sorry I took so long, ahjumma." He tucked her hair behind her ear. "Sorry if I wasn't here to protect you from those bastards. If I'd known this would happen I..." He took a staggering breath. "You're in this mess because of me. It's all my fault—"

 

"Hey." She brushed his cheek with her thumb. "We don't have much time so let's not talk about that anymore, okay?" 

 

He nodded. "You're right." 

 

"Always am."

 

Jiyong smiled and leaned down to capture her lips in a long overdue kiss. Dara felt her heart skip a beat. She tilted her chin and returned the kiss with as much fervor, clinging to Jiyong's neck as if he'd disappear any minute. Being away from him for so long had been pure torment for her and she wondered if they would ever get a chance to be together like this again. Eventually they had to come up for air. When they broke apart, Dara looked at Jiyong ang chuckled, her chest heaving. 

 

"What?" 

 

"You've got lipstick all over your mouth." She opened her purse and took out some tissues, wiping his face. 

 

"You look amazing."

 

She frowned. "It's just the make-up."

 

"Nope," he quipped, shaking his head. "It's all you, trust me." He shot her a boyish grin. "Oh and by the way, the head of your security team seems really scary. He makes Dong-Gil look like a saint."

 

"Tell me about it."

 

He smirked. "I honestly felt a little sorry for that guy who tried to make a move on you. He looked like he was close to pissing himself." 

 

"You saw that?" He nodded. "Speaking of, how did you even know about the party?"

 

"It was Bom." He grabbed her hand and guided her to sit by the piano. "She told me that your Dad had confiscated your phone that's why no one can reach you. She also said she's been trying to visit you at home, but her father wouldn't let her. Something about honoring the chairman's request." Dara scowled. That sounded like her father all right. "When I learned about the party, I enlisted Seungho's help so I have an excuse to leave my apartment."

 

"You're on house arrest too?"

 

"Something like that. Sajangnim wanted me to keep a low profile until the issue dies down."

 

"Looks like we're both prisoners then." She sighed and placed her head over his shoulder while Jiyong held her hand in his lap, absently tracing her fingers. Dara closed her eyes, relishing in this moment of peace with Jiyong by her side. It must have taken him a great deal of effort to snake his way inside the hotel and carry out this secret rendezvous despite knowing the repercussions if he got caught. Just thinking about the probabilities triggered her anxiety and she soon realized how dire their situation was. "Ji..."

 

"Mmm?"

 

"I can't stay long," she softly muttered and reluctantly stood. "Hong thinks I'm in the wash room. My twenty minutes is almost up."

 

"Keurae." He fished something out of his pocket, "Here." Dara stared at the phone in her hand. "I want you to keep this so we have a means of communication."

 

"But Jiyongie—"

 

"Don't worry, it's a burner phone." He turned it on and showed her how it worked. "I have the same one too. You've got my number on speed dial. Bom's on the second. Chaerin on third. What time do you usually take a shower?"

 

"Huh?" She looked at him, confused. "Why do you wanna know?"

 

"Because we can talk while the water's on. That way, you won't get caught." 

 

Dara stared at him in awe. "It looks like you really put a lot of thought in this."

 

"You have no idea," he replied with a chuckle, holding her hand as they walked to the door.

 

"Ahjumma, I've been thinking..."

 

"About what?"

 

"What if we ditch everything behind? You know...pack up our bags and just leave? We can go somewhere far and never come back. We can go live in Prague!" He exclaimed, his eyes lighting up. "I can work as an artist there, you know, just painting shoes and stuff. And you can open up a restaurant that serves authentic Korean food since loads of people love your cooking. I bet we'd have a full house on our opening day!"

 

Dara smiled. "You can be the busboy while I work in the kitchen."

 

"Exactly!"

 

"You would rise early and go to the market."

 

"It might take a bit of work, but yes. I would definitely go to the market with you." They finally stopped in front of the door. "It's a good plan, right?"

 

"Yeah. I suppose it is."

 

Jiyong studied her face. "But you don't want to do it."

 

She glanced up at him, a sad smile gracing her features. "Can you throw everything away just like that? What about your family, Jiyong? Your career? What about Bigbang?"

 

"What about it?"

 

"You said it yourself, if one of you leaves then Bigbang would no longer be Bigbang. Can you really do that to your brothers?" Dara knew she had hit home when Jiyong looked away. Reaching out, she touched his face. "I have to go now."

 

He nodded. Bringing her hand to his lips, he then kissed her knuckles. "I love you."

 

"I know."