Born Hater

That Day in Spring

 

 

There's always that one stupid mistake that changes everything. 

 

After the private dinner, they decided to join the staff who were chilling out in a bowling alley not far from Yoon's place. Hours later, the whole group were about to head back to the hotel when security informed them that a crowd had gathered outside the building. Daesung peeked out the window and gasped at the sheer amount of people holding out their cameras and waiting for them to come out. While Taehee and the others were busy making an exit plan, Jiyong was only half-listening, his eyes fixated on Dara who was standing beside Bom. She fidgeted with the sleeves of her jacket, her brows scrunched up with worry when the noise coming from the horde of fans got louder. He knew she suffered from social anxiety which made her come across people as an aloof person and these kind of situations were exactly the type that she fears the most.

 

"The cars are already parked by the curb," Taehee announced as soon as he got off the phone. "It would be best if you don't sign any autographs or take pictures with the fans. Security is already on standby. The girls will be escorted first, followed by the boys."

 

Jiyong pulled Jaeho aside and whispered, "Hyung, Dara's coming with me. Make sure she stays behind." The bodyguard merely nodded and didn't ask any questions.

 

After giving the go signal, the door was opened and they started to leave, accompanied by a manager and a member of the staff. One by one, the girls stepped out until it was Dara and CL's turn. She pulled her hood over her face and was about to follow CL when she felt a hand on her head, gently pulling her back. At first she was confused to who had restrained her, but soon realized it was Jiyong when she took a glimpse of his shoes. What is he doing? she internally panicked. Mindful of the people around them, Dara tried to walk ahead, but instead of getting the hint, Jiyong looped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her even closer. She struggled as she walked, having been continuously shoved by some bystanders despite the security team warning people to move back and to 'keep the cameras away.' Jiyong's tight grip didn't ease her predicament and she's starting to feel like she was being smothered rather than protected. "Ji..." she softly muttered and tried to raise her hood so she can breathe properly. Jiyong, noticing what she was about to do, prevented her from doing so by leaning in to whisper in her ear, "Just a few more steps, ahjumma. We'll be in the car soon."

 

A camera flashed in his face and he was momentarily disoriented. He hated it everytime he goes out in public and this happens. Privacy had become a foreign concept to him ever since he rose to fame and after being trailed by the paparazzi for so long, he eventually stopped trying to evade them. But tonight was different. Dara was with him and he would do everything in his power to protect the little tokki. When they reached the corner, he spotted the driver already waiting for them. Jiyong immediately ushered Dara inside. "Watch your head."

 

"What about the others?" she asked as soon as he closed the door. "Chaerin and Bom—"

 

"They're in the van next to us," Taehee explained from the passenger seat. "We'll drive to the hotel in a convoy so it's safer."

 

"You okay?" Jiyong asked. She slowly nodded. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't even know how they found out about our location." He squeezed her hand. "Mianhe."

 

"For what?" she asked, her brows in a furrow.

 

"For ruining your night." He hang his head and sighed. "We should've just stayed at—"

 

"Aigoo, you silly boy." She chuckled and cuddled closer to him. "Nothing's ruined. I came here so I could be with you. Mission accomplished." Her bright smile instantly made Jiyong feel better, his annoyance slowly ebbing away. He retrieved something from his coat pocket and handed it to her. Dara looked confused as she held the box in her lap. "Another gift?"

 

"What do you mean? I haven't given you anything yet."

 

"I told you I don't like it when you give me expensive things."

 

"It's not expensive." She sent him a dubious look. "Well...it's not that expensive." Dara started to protest, but he was quick to cut her off, "Aigoo. Just open it, okay?"

 

She pursed her lips and unwrapped the gift. fell open as soon as she saw what the box contained. "Oh my God..." It was nothing short of extravagant—a daisy pendant studded with petal-shaped diamonds hanging from a tiny cable chain necklace. Dara glanced up at him with an awestruck expression. "Jiyongie..." she gasped. "It's beautiful." 

 

He smiled. "Here, let me." He made her turn around so he could attach the clasps together. "I had this for a while now and I kept thinking if I'd ever get the chance to give it to you." Once he was done, she turned to face him again. "You look perfect," he said with a sheepish grin. "Do you like it?"

 

She touched the pendant sitting at the base of . "Like it? I love it!" She jumped from her seat and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Thank you!"

 

He laughed and hugged her back. "Anything for you, love."

 

 

~~~++++~~~

 

 

The thing about rumors? They travel fast.

 

Not even twenty four hours since last night's events, her face was already splashed at every news portal all across Seoul. Because of prior commitments, the boys had to stay behind for a few days to finish their Japan tour while the girls left the morning after. This was the reason why the media easily ambushed them at the airport and Dara considered herself fortunate that CL quickly thought of a way to avoid the paparazzi by asking the staff if they could use the emergency exit.

 

"I don't understand. What's going on, Chaerin-ah?" she asked as soon as they entered the car. 

 

"They must've seen the photos from last night."

 

She chewed on her lower lip. "Does this mean another scandal for Jiyong?" 

 

"If this blows up then yes. It truly might."

 

Dara's dread turned for the worst when she noticed reporters flocking outside Jiyong's apartment building. "Don't even think about going in there," warned Bom as she held Dara's arm in a tight grip. "You're staying at my place tonight." It was hard to do anything else under Bom's heavy surveillance and so when her friend headed to the bathroom to take a shower, Dara used the opportunity to log into Bom's computer, quickly opening the search engine while glancing cautiously over her shoulder. GD's name practically popped up from the trending list. She took a deep breath and clicked on the link.

 

She wished she hadn't.

 

They were calling her all sorts of names, saying all kinds of repulsive things about her. One netizen even explicitly wrote how she wanted her dead. Are these people still humans? How can they speak ill about strangers, people they basically know nothing about? The door creaked open and she immediately put the screen to sleep before crawling under the covers.

 

"Dara-ya, are you asleep?"

 


She didn't answer. She buried her face in her hands to stop her lip from quivering, but the tears coursed down her cheeks anyway.

 

"I'll be outside if you need me, okay?" 

 

She heard the door closed. No longer able to hold back her sobs, she finally allowed herself to cry out. Her heart felt heavy. Her head was throbbing. She just wanted to curl into a ball and disappear.

 

 

~~~+++~~~

 

 

CL entered Bom's apartment an hour later, bare-faced and dressed in a simple black hoodie and lounge pants. "I informed sajangnim as soon as I arrived at YG. They're imposing a news blackout, that means all of the articles are being brought down as we speak."

 

Bom sighed in relief. "Thank God." 

 

"Where's Dara unnie?"

 

"She's in my room."

 

CL pulled out one of the chairs from under the table and took a seat across her. "Is she okay?"

 

Bom shook her head. "I'm worried about her, Chaerin-ah. Dara's already been through a lot." She suddenly slammed her spoon on the table, muttering a few expletives under her breath while CL helped herself with some food. "She doesn't deserve to be treated like trash by people who don't even have a fckin clue about the real story!"

 

"There's no helping it. Dating a superstar comes with a lot of baggage." She poked the salad with her fork and heaved a sigh. "What scares me is that, this may only be the beginning."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Now that the public knows she exists, her life will never be the same. Some fans can be very territorial and whoever gets linked to their idol usually gets bashed. That's just the way it is." 

 

*Bzzz*

 

CL glanced at the caller and instantly paled. "Oh no."

 

"What?? Who is it?" 

 

She flipped the screen at Bom's direction. It was Jiyong. She started biting her nails. "Should I tell him?"

 

"Don't you think he already knows?"

 

CL shook her head. "Sajangnim wanted the issue contained so he told the staff not to relay the news to the boys until their Japan tour is over."

 

"What kind of jack reverse psychology is that?" Bom huffed in annoyance and crossed her arms. "Are we supposed to keep pretending everything is fine then? If there's someone who's getting the brunt of this scandal, it's Dara. How can the president think about concert sales when his precious son's girlfriend is suffering like this?"

 

"To be fair, it's not just sajangnim's decision. The whole board of directors had something to do with it too."

 

"Well, screw them. Here, gimme that." She proceeded to answer the call. "Yoboseyo? Eo, Jiyong-ah. It's me, Bom. No, I'm fine. Listen, there's something—"

 

Dara appeared out of thin air and had taken the phone out of her grasp. They didn't even hear her come out the bedroom. With a finger to , she signaled Bom to keep silent. "Hello?"

 

"Ahjumma?"

 

"Neh. Hi, Jiyongie. How are you?" The two girls exchanged a look. Despite the bloodshot eyes and puffy nose, Dara's voice sounded perfectly normal. 

 

"I called you a few times, but there was no answer. Everything okay?"

 

"Mianhe. I dropped my phone on the bathtub earlier so it's no longer working," she lied flawlessly.

 

"Ah, jinjja? Well, I can ask one of my assistants to purchase a new one for you. What do you—"

 

"Ani. I'll buy one myself," came her curt response. "Don't worry about it."

 

Jiyong grew silent for a few moments. "Dara, are you sure you're okay?"

 

"Wae?"

 

"You sound a bit...off."

 

She held the phone away and gathered her composure. Taking a deep breath, she then whirled around to avoid gazing into CL's concerned expression. "Gwenchana," she altered her tone into a jovial one. "I'm just tired from all the week long celebrations. I'll be fine once I get some sleep."

 

"You sure?"

 

"Mmm."

 

"Are you girls having a sleepover?"

 

"Neh."

 

"Okay. I won't disturb you anymore. Don't talk too much about me, arajji?" He chuckled in a lighthearted manner. Hearing his laugh reminded her of how utterly lonely she felt without him by her side. 

 

"Ji..." 

 

"Neh, ahjumma?"

 

Her fingers found the Daisy pendant hanging from her neck. "Bogoshipoyo," she softly muttered, blinking back her tears. She heard him shuffling around on the other line, followed by a gentle thump of a door being closed.

 

"Babe, are you really alright?"

 

No. No, she wasn't. She felt miserable. She wanted to scream for him to come back home and assure her that everything's going to be fine. She wanted to run away with him to a place where the paparazzi couldn't reach them. Somewhere far. Somewhere safe.

 

"Dara—"

 

"Jiyong-ah," Taehee's muffled voice echoed through the receiver. "The shoot is about to start. What are you doing there?"

 

"Chakaman—"

 

She cleared . "It's fine. You should go."

 

"But—"

 

"I'll talk to you soon, okay?" She heard him sigh. "Alright. I'll make sure to call you once I arrive at the hotel." She nodded even though he couldn't see her. "And Dara?"

 

"Neh?"

 

"I love you."

 

A tear escaped her eye. She wiped it away. "I know."

 

She had awoken the next morning feeling ten times worse. Her day started out like the usual; she ate toast and eggs that Bom cooked, showered, got dressed, read Jiyong's text and pretended she hadn't before finally heading to work. She needed a distraction. Work always helped. She was still waiting at the bus stop when her phone beeped from her pocket. It was Professor Lee.

 

The museum is closed for today. There will be no need for you to report.

 

She frowned. Closed? On a weekday? As far as she knows, there were no special holidays for the whole month of November and if there's an event, Professor Lee always announced it beforehand so as not to inconvenience both the employees and visitors. She soon found out the real reason when she arrived at the building and found the glass walls desecrated with spray paint and scrawled with different hate comments.

 

'!' 

'Crawl back to whatever cave u came from!'

'!'

'Boo! Keep dreaming!'

'who does she think she is? she's not even pretty'

'As if GD would ever date you'

 

The color drained from Dara's cheeks as she read the malicious words scratched on the edifice of the museum, a few of her own pictures were taped to the glass and drawn with horns, some even had offensive remarks written across her face. How did they even know she worked here? Ignoring the bile that's about to come up , she hurriedly ripped the pictures and newspaper clippings off the wall, her eyes stinging with unshed tears. Such profanities could only stem from so much hate. Hatred that she was currently at the receiving end of.

 

"Dara-ssi."

 

She turned around and found Professor Lee standing along the main entrance, a mop on one hand and a bucket of water on the other.

 

"Why are you here? I thought I told you not to come."

 

She bit her lip to stop herself from crying. She was not going to have an emotional breakdown. Whoever did this wants her to do exactly that and she sure as hell wouldn't give them the satisfaction. "Mianheyo, kyosunim." She bowed in apology. 

 

"Whatever for?" He placed the bucket on the ground and slipped on a pair of gloves. "It's not your fault some people are born idiots." 

 

"I couldn't agree more," said one of her co-workers who popped up behind him. "Don't mind them, Dara-ya. You know what you can do?" She pointed a manicured nail at her direction. "Smile. Show them how unaffected you are. It kills them."

 

"Yah, Seyoung-ssi. Stop egging her on. Aigoo."

 

"Wae??" She stomped toward the street and shouted, "If they're so brave, why don't they come at me?! Let's get it on, you cowards! Some of these a-holes couldn't even spell right. Probably out of school fantards—"

 

"Hajima." This time, it was Dara who spoke. She wordlessly grabbed the wet cloth from Seyoung's hand, dropped the backpack at her feet and reached out to wipe the glass. From the corner of her eye, she could see Professor Lee silently admonishing Seyoung. The two of them stood at either side of her and started cleaning.