Make It Right

That Day in Spring

 

 

 

GD's POV

 

She was no longer there when I woke up.

 

If it hadn't been for the neatly folded blanket on the settee, I would've believed it all to be a dream. I laid on the bed for another fifteen minutes, just staring at the ceiling and feeling sorry for myself. Come to think of it, I don't have the right to get angry at Dara for not keeping her promise. In fact, I should feel grateful she even thought of dropping by to check on me. As the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. And when it comes to the little tokki, I'd happily take whatever I can get.

 

Rolling my shoulders, I swung my feet off the bed and called Tae Hee. He answered on the third ring.

 

"Hey, Ji. How are you feeling today?"

 

"Been through worse," I mumbled and ran my fingers through my hair as I stood up. "Listen, is Dong-Gil with you right now?"

 

"Yep. He just arrived. Why?"

 

"Can you guys get me some food on the way?"

 

"Sure, no problem. Any preferences?"

 

"Nah. Just get me whatever. I'm starving."

 

"Alright. See you in a few."

 

I ended the call and tossed my phone back on the bed. Shimmying out of my clothes, I then padded toward the bathroom. As soon as I saw my reflection on the mirror, I let out a curse. I can't believe Dara didn't run for the hills screaming after she saw my face. My lips were chapped, my hair messy, I lost a couple of pounds from all those sleepless nights and it showed through my hollowed cheeks. The small gash on my right brow and bruises I had on my arm completed the whole zombie concept. With a resigned sigh, I stepped into the shower in the hopes of clearing my head. It worked for a few minutes before memories of last night creeped into the forefront of my mind and I let out a frustrated scream.

 

"Jeongsin nagasseo?!" I projected my anger toward the glass panels. "Ya, are you Lee Seung Gi? Ani—are you Kim Woobin? Why did you have to act so clingy in front of her, huh? Waeeee?!!" I repeatedly pounded the wall with my fist, ignoring the stinging sensation brought about by my injury. "in' idiot."

 

I didn't want to shrivel and end up looking like a prune from staying under the shower for too long so as soon as I was finished lathering my hair with shampoo and scrubbing my body with soap, I hurriedly rinsed everything off. Grabbing the towel from the hook, I began drying myself while opening one of the drawers in search for some underwear. I was about to pull out a pair of boxers when I heard the clattering of dishes coming from the kitchen.

 

Tss. What was Iye doing now?

 

I huffed in annoyance before standing up to check on my cat. I don't really mind walking on my birthday suit around my apartment since I was alone and it's not like the paparazzi can reach me here. Opening the door, I started looking for the little troublemaker.

 

"Iye-yah—"

 

Dara's head suddenly popped out from under the kitchen counter. "Sorry about that. I was just—"

 

There was silence for approximately 0.5 seconds right before she let out the most high-pitched scream in history while I took a dive behind the sofa, totally skinning my knees in the process. Dara's hands flew out to cover her eyes which was a bit of a futile attempt if you ask me, considering she probably got a good view of Jiyong junior in those precious earth-shattering moments.

 

"Neo michosseo?!" She shouted, her ears red from embarrassment. 

 

I quickly grabbed a pillow to cover my goods. "W-why are you here?!"

 

"WHY ARE YOU ?!"

 

"I thought you already left!"

 

"SO YOU JUST WALK AROUND THE HOUSE WITH NO CLOTHES ON?!"

 

"Because I thought I was alone!! What were you even doing?!"

 

"I was making you breakfast, you idiot!"

 

She was? I craned my neck and looked over her shoulder. True enough, there were already various plates of food spread out on the table. My stomach growled at the sight. "Is that pork belly?" I took a few steps forward when she held out her hand in front of her, eyes still shut tightly.

 

"For the love of what's holy, just go and put some clothes on!"

 

"Alright, geez." Smirking, I retreated toward the room. "No peeking, ahjumma."

 

Her blush only got worse. "I wouldn't—I never..." she continued to stutter, "I didn't see anything!" 

 

"Oh I think you did," I further. "Did I pass your standards?" She angrily grabbed a spatula and hurled it in my general direction. It hit the door instead. "You missed."

 

"Ya, Kwon Jiyong you bastard!" she growled.

 

I laughed. "Okay! I'm going, I'm going." Feeling miraculously energized, I headed to my walk-in closet and started dressing myself. Bigbang was scheduled for a TV guesting today and I didn't have to worry about hauling my whole wardrobe to the set since it's already laid out for me. Perks of having your own team of stylists. I only have to show up and pick whatever I feel comfortable with. Finally stepping out of my room in a simple loose PMO sweater and faded jeans, I ambled my way to the marble counter where Dara had just started cracking the eggs. She cautiously glanced at me. "Scrambled or sunny side-up?" She asked. 

 

"Hmmm..." I hopped onto the bar stool. "Scrambled."

 

She nodded and went straight to work. I propped my chin over my hand and watched her cook. Dara was wearing a pink apron, her hair tied in a high ponytail with some loose strands framing her face. She kept doing these little gestures when she's trying to focus on something like scrunching her nose and biting her lip in concentration. It was so damn adorable that I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. 

 

"Yah, cut it out," she muttered and sent me a look before flipping the egg into the plate.

 

"Hmmm?"

 

"Stop staring, it's rude."

 

"I can't help it if the view is beautiful." The little tokki refused to make eye contact with me, but I could clearly see how my words affected her. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. Aigoo. Yeppeuda. She finished filling my bowl with food and handed me the chopsticks. "Komawoyo, ahjumma." She started to walk around the table when I grabbed her hand and pulled her to sit beside me. "I don't like eating alone." 

 

She made a face. "Well, you better finish everything or else I'm walking out of here." 

 

I shot her a toothy grin and she rolled her eyes before fixing her own plate. I immediately grabbed the kimbap and felt resurrected at first bite. Ah, mashiso. Santokki's cooking is really unparalleled. I kept stuffing my face when I heard Dara clear . I turned my head to the side. She was looking at me funny. "What?" 

 

"You, um...got something right here," she pointed to a spot on her face.

 

"Eodi?" I tried it off.

 

She moved closer and tilted my chin up, her thumb wiping something from my jaw. "There we go." She then started filling the lettuce with meat, her brows meeting at the center. "Look, I know work is important to you, but you also need to take care of yourself, Jiyong-ah. If you can't find time to buy your own food then ask someone else to buy it for you." She offered the roll to me and I dutifully opened my mouth. "Coffee is not breakfast nor is a single apple considered lunch. And can you stop smoking when you're stressed out? Nicotine only worsens your insomnia and destroys your lungs. How then do you expect to last during rehearsals when you can't even breathe properly? Tss." She glared at me before feeding me another wrap.

 

I tried to stifle my smile. I doubt she's even aware of what she's doing. It's like she's on autopilot or something. Acting like a mother hen was basically second nature to her. Dara was being extra sweet today and I'm loving every second of it.

 

Her phone suddenly rang. She wiped her hands and checked the screen. Her eyes widened. 

 

"What's wrong?" 

 

She hurriedly stood before answering the call. "Yoboseyo? Neh, kyosunim! Mianheyo. Neh. I'll be there in thirty minutes. Neh. Sorry to keep you waiting. Okay. I'll see you. Bye." Dara whirled around and started cleaning the table. "Are you done?" She asked. I nodded. She brought the plates to the sink. 

 

"You're leaving already?" 

 

"I have work, you know." 

 

"Can't you just skip?"

 

She sent me a scowl over her shoulder. "You need to go to work, too."

 

I frowned. We were having such a good time and now she's going to leave again. Silently coming up behind her, I wrapped my arms around her waist and nuzzled my face on her neck, inhaling her scent. Dara smelled like flowers. It was truly addicting. 

 

"Jiyong..."

 

I clutched her tighter. "Jamkammanyo. Let's stay like this for a while." After a few seconds, I felt her slowly relax. I raised my head a fraction so I could whisper into her ear. "Mianhe, Darong. I'm so sorry for not showing up that night. I was a jerk and you have every right to hate me." I softly kissed her temple. "I just want you to know that I'm really really sorry."

 

Her shoulders dropped as she slowly reached back to gently my hair. I cuddled closer to her. "I'm not angry. Not anymore. I...I'm really just happy to see you're okay."

 

"I am now." I planted a kiss on her neck. "I wish we can stay like this forever."

 

"Ji..." Her caresses stopped. Dara sighed. "We can't." She turned in my arms and faced me. "You have to know that Seung Ho...we—" she paused and bowed her head. "I'm seeing your brother."

 

"Wait. You're dating him?"

 

"I...told him I'll try."

 

I kept my mouth in a thin line. "Do you love him?"

 

She worried her lower lip. "He's been nothing but good to me."

 

"You didn't answer my question." I cupped her face and made her look at me. "Do you love him?" She stared. She didn't have to say anything. I could see it in her eyes. Pulling her closer, I put my forehead over hers. "Do you...love me?"

 

"Ji—"

 

*Ding dong*

 

Dara broke our embrace and took a step back. She removed the apron and hang it on the hook before tucking her hair behind her ear. "I guess that's my cue." Grabbing her jacket, she pulled something from inside her bag. "You should get that checked," she motioned to my right arm. "I left a bottle of vitamins on the counter. Don't forget to take some, okay?" Rising on her toes, Dara applied a band-aid on my forehead just above my brow. She then brushed her fingers on my cheek. 

 

"Please don't shut me out again," I whispered.

 

"Ji—"

 

"I'm not asking you to constantly reply to my texts. I just...I just want to stay in touch. I can't sleep not knowing where you are or if you're doing alright." I walked her to the door, our hands still clasped together. "If you won't, I'll just pester everyone around me again."

 

She laughed meekly. "You really need to stop that, by the way. You're driving Bom crazy with your constant badgering."

 

"So does that mean you won't avoid me anymore?" She nodded and I grinned. The doorbell rang again. I glared at the door. Dara chuckled before letting go. She was about to open it when I grabbed her by the waist and quickly swooped in for a kiss. Her eyes were still wide when I pulled back. "Just charging on some good vibes to last me the day." I winked then swung open the door. 

 

"Dude, what took you so long? I'm about to—" Tae Hee noticed Dara standing at my side. She shyly smiled and waved at them. "Dara-ssi??" He looked back and forth at us in confusion. "Why are you here?"

 

The little tokki nervously tugged on her bracelet and I decided to save her by saying, "Aigoo, just go and put the food inside." I grabbed him by the collar and he almost fell over the entryway. I then turned to Dong-Gil who was now giving Dara a one-arm hug. "Hyung, can you take Dara to work? I'll just wait till you come back."

 

"It's fine. I can—"

 

"Ani. I won't let you ride a cab." She pursed her lips, but I gave her a look. "Please take care of her, hyung."

 

He nodded and ushered Dara to the elevator. I smiled and waved at her. She waved back. 

 

"So you're friends with Dara again?" Tae Hee asked while he leaned on the door. 

 

"Neh." I ran a hand through my hair. "But I'm planning to change that."

 

"Eh? What do you mean?"

 

I pulled out my phone and searched Seung Ho's number.  

 

If ur free tonight, kindly swing by YG Republique. Say, 8pm? 

 

I know it sounds like I'm texting a stranger or someone from my staff, but this was how Seung Ho and I communicated for years. Curt and direct to the point. A few seconds later, my phone buzzed. 

 

Seung Ho: Fine. But drink's on u.

 

 

Alright. May the best man win.