Tryouts

Puppy Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa sighed as she stood outside the gym doors. She glanced to her right, reading the sign about basketball tryouts for the tenth time.

She had debated on trying out or not since that morning and she was still debating it. It wasn't like she was terrible at it- she actually made the team at her last school. It was one of the few sports she liked playing and if she was being honest, she was tempted to try out.

But she hadn't played since being on that team at her old school, and not to mention, Chaeyoung was a cheerleader and her boyfriend was captain. All that rolled into one spelled disaster to Lisa.

So here she stood, not going in to try out, but waiting for Jisoo to come meet her. The older girl was planning on trying out herself and Lisa wanted to be a good friend, so she came to cheer her on and watch her.

Lisa sighed again, leaning against the wall next to the double doors. One of those doors suddenly opened, a wave of chocolate brown hair flipping around as the head looked left and right. Lisa froze, Chaeyoung doing a double take when she saw her standing there. A big smile bloomed across her face, Chaeyoung exiting the door and going to her.

"Lisa! Are you trying out for basketball? I heard you were really good at your old school." Chaeyoung said cheerfully. Lisa gulped inaudibly, nerves overwhelming her as Chaeyoung waited for an answer. She cleared .

"No, um- I wasn't planning on it. I was just waiting for Jisoo." Lisa said. She immediately regretted it when the light in Chaeyoung's eyes dimmed a bit, her smile being replaced with a pout that Lisa tried not to think was super cute.

"Why not? I think you'd be great!" Chaeyoung replied. Lisa opened to reply, when loud footsteps suddenly came down the hall. Lisa glanced down it, Jisoo running towards them. Lisa internally sighed with relief.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Limario." Jisoo said, the girl stopping next to her. Lisa cringed as Chaeyoung let out a giggle at the nickname. Jisoo glanced between the two of them, before setting her sights on Lisa again. "I still don't know why you're not trying out with me."

Lisa was about to speak up, when Chaeyoung beat her to it.

"Exactly my thoughts. Come on, Lisa! What's the harm in trying out? Either you make the team, or you don't." Chaeyoung said, clearly adamant on Lisa going in. Lisa chewed on her lip, feeling torn about it all. But when she met Chaeyoung's eyes again, the girl looked so excited that Lisa couldn't find it in her to refuse. She sighed deeply, shoulders slumping.

"Alright, fine. I'll give it a shot, I guess." Lisa said. Chaeyoung squealed, arms wrapping around Lisa in a tight hug. Lisa blinked in surprise, body tensing and arms staying rigid at her sides. Chaeyoung pulled away quickly, not noticing her reaction at all. Chaeyoung grabbed Jisoo and Lisa's hands, pulling them to the doors to the gym. She opened the doors and pushed them both inside, Jisoo already running over to get a practice jersey. Lisa stood still, hands fiddling with one another as she glanced around at the rest of kids.

"Lisa, don't worry. There's no need to be scared." Chaeyoung reassured her, patting her shoulder. Lisa glanced at her, Chaeyoung's warm brown eyes meeting her own.

"I'll be right on the sidelines if you get nervous, okay? Good luck!" Chaeyoung said, the girl running off to join the rest of her squad. Lisa sighed again, heart already pounding as she made her way over to where Jisoo stood, the older girl having put on her jersey. Jisoo looked up, smirking at her.

"I see your girlfriend is happy to have you here." Jisoo said calmly. Lisa scowled, shoving her slightly.

"Stop staying that!" Lisa said. Jisoo barely stumbled back, but her smirk faded from her face. She sighed lightly.

"Lisa, I'm only kidding. Why do you freak out so much when I say that?" Jisoo asked. Lisa paused, eyes darting around to see if anyone was catching onto their conversation. Jisoo followed her eyes, eyebrows furrowing. Lisa looked back at her, shoulders shrugging as she picked up her own practice jersey.

"Just stop, okay?" Lisa said, slipping the jersey over her head. She began tying her dark orange hair into a ponytail, Jisoo following her lead with her own.

"Why, though? It's not that big of a deal if you're like that, you know. Who cares?" Jisoo said, finishing with her hair and picking up a stray basketball next to her feet. Lisa blinked at her comment, the girl not knowing how to respond. Jisoo took note of her lack of response, the older girl looking at her. She looked scared.

"Do you have a problem with gay people?" Jisoo asked quietly. Lisa was taken aback at the question, their conversation taking a whole different tone to it. She'd really rather not have this type of conversation in a gym, with a bunch of other kids there, but Jisoo seemed to want it here.

"What? Of course not. People can love who they want." Lisa replied with conviction. Jisoo seemed to relax a little, but not completely.

"Then why do you say it's weird?"

Lisa sighed, rubbing her face in exasperation. She heard a whistle being blown, an indication that tryouts were about to officially start. She looked at Jisoo.

"We'll talk about this later, I promise." Lisa replied. Jisoo watched her, before giving her a nod. They both made their way over to where the rest stood in a line, facing Yonghwa. Lisa felt an unfamiliar feeling in her stomach as she looked at him.

"Alright, guys. Welcome to the Seoul high school Knights basketball tryouts. If you have no idea who I am, then I don't know why you're even here." Yonghwa said, letting out a laugh at the end to indicate he was joking. Lisa didn't laugh with everyone else.

"My name is Yonghwa, and I'm your captain. I'll be evaluating you guys today as you do the warmups and show your technique. We'll start with basics- dribbling and passing." Yonghwa explained. "Grab a partner from the lineup here and go to a place in the gym. Make sure you have enough space to dribble and pass. Don't worry about shooting for right now."

Lisa looked around as several people picked someone, pairs going off to different parts of the large gym. Lisa already knew who she wanted, glancing to her right at Jisoo. Jisoo held up a fist, looking for a bump. Lisa ignored it, pus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter