Sequel 12

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Minhyuk was fiddling with his mother’s mobile while his mother was busy chatting with Wheein. Usually Minhyuk would be busy playing games on his mother’s mobile but not today. He was fiddling with the applications on the phone. Just then, Minhyuk stumbled upon his mother’s photo gallery. He had never really explore the phone in details before. But this time, Minhyuk was too curious.

A child in the millennium doesn’t really need an adult to teach him how to function a smart phone. The children nowadays are just too smart for their own good. And that was happening to Minhyuk. At the age of 5, Minhyuk was inquisitive and full of curiosity. He scanned through his mother’s photo album – there were so many photos of him; him and his mother and him and his Mommy Wheein. He smiled to himself. He was so happy in every photo and he could his mother’s wide smile.

It had been while since his Omma smiled like that. Then Minhyuk spotted a few photos that he had never seen before. Or perhaps he had seen them but he didn’t really paid attention. These were the same photos Yongsun had in their house – her wedding photo of Yongsun and Moonbyul. Minhyuk scrutinized each photo with care and then he realized that the person who was sitting across him was the same woman in the photo. He looked up and frowned.

He looked back and forth; trying to compare the real Moonbyul and the one in the photo. He was certain they were the same woman. And his Omma looked extremely happy in that photo. She was wearing white. She had always been beautiful but in that wedding photo; his Omma looked exceptionally beautiful.  But why was Moonbyul Noona in the photo with Omma?

“Who is this Noona?”

-

Moonbyul and Wheein were having lunch together. Hwasa had to look after her father’s restaurant so the two of ended up together. Yongsun was resting and Minhyuk was with his Omma. The pair settled down at the cafeteria and Wheein ordered her lunch. Moonbyul only had a cup of coffee with her.

“Is that your lunch?”

“I don’t have much appetite.”

Wheein nodded and then looked away. Her food came and Wheein ate immediately. The pair just sat there; in silence. Moonbyul was staring hard at Wheein; the woman was a little uncomfortable but she expected such reaction from Moonbyul.

“Staring at me won’t change anything.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Didn’t I tell you to do something about this?”

Moonbyul looked away; leaving Wheein sighed in defeat.

“You told me this morning that you won’t give her up. And what the hell are you doing now?”

“What do you expect me to do?”

“I don’t know. Think of something.”

“It’s not easy. She’s avoiding me.”

Moonbyul’s voice trailed at the end of it. Wheein looked at her before putting her spoon away. She took a sip of her drink before continuing.

“Look. What you did was enough to break her into pieces; enough to make her brain stop from remembering you. It was enough for her to put a stop to everything and had amnesia because of the pain you put her through.”

Moonbyul kept quiet.

“I know it hurts you that she doesn’t remember who you are. And I know it irks you to see her being so lovey dopey towards me. And as much as you hate me right now; I told you before I ain’t gonna stop until I see Yongsun unnie smiling sincerely and happily. We are supposed to compete for her love fairly and properly.”

“There are many other things I have to consider.”

“What other things that you need to consider?”

“It’s not easy. I have to be careful before I hurt more people in the process.”

“Who are you talking about? Minhyuk?”

“Yeah, and some other things that might get involved eventually. Yongsun doesn’t even give me a chance to be with her alone. She rather talks to you.”

“Are you actually complaining to me right now?”

“No, what I mean is I just need to find the right time. Perhaps I should leave her alone for now. I’ll look for her when I’m ready.”

“What?!”

Wheein couldn’t believe her ears. Moonbyul was planning to run away again.

“Moon Byul Yi, is this how you going to prove to her that you’re the one for her?”

“Trust me. I will come up with something. Just give me some time.”

“At least tell me what you’re planning to do.”

“Not now.”

Moonbyul stood up and patted on Wheein’s back gently.

“Look after Yongsun for me. I’ll come back.”

“YA, Moonbyul ah!”

Moonbyul smiled before she walked off; leaving Wheein bewildered. 

-

Yongsun was packing her stuff. She was allowed to be discharged and she wanted to leave Jeonju as soon as possible. Moonbyul hasn’t made her move yet. All she did was to visit her and sat in silence until the end of the day. Moonbyul would watch her intimate moments with Wheein and Yongsun stole a couple of glances every now and then – Moonbyul had no reaction at all.

Honestly, she was disappointed but she couldn’t say it out yet. The only people who knew she was pretending was Wheein and her father. Perhaps Moonbyul would never act on it. She was too coward; too passive and Yongsun’s patience was running thin.

“Omma.”

Minhyuk nudged her gently. Yongsun glanced to her side; her son was sitting on the bed with her phone in her hands. She gave him a warm smile and caressed his cheeks gently. Her son was the only person who could heal her aching heart.

“Yes baby?”

“Can Minhyuk ask something?”

“Sure, what is it darling?”

Minhyuk turned to the phone and scrolled down the photos one at a time. Yongsun didn’t really pay attention but when she finally did; she was shocked to find Minhyuk staring at the wedding photo of her and Moonbyul. She had never shown these photos to Minhyuk before. Her hands trembled.

“Omma, who is this? Is this Moonbyul noona?”

Yongsun’s heart sank into the deepest pit. Her nightmare has begun. She knew she had to tell Minhyuk one day but she didn’t know it was going to be at this moment.

“Minhyuk ah…”

“Who is she? Why is she hugging you tightly? No matter how many times Minhyuk look at this photo, this woman here looks exactly like Moonbyul noona. Do you two know each other before?”

What was she supposed to say now?

Should she lie?

Or tell her son the truth?

-

Hwasa looked on as Moonbyul packed her clothes into her duffel bag. She watched as the woman grabbed her stuffs from the dressing table and dumped into the bag. She sighed loudly.

“I thought you’re going to do something about your relationship with Yongsun?”

Moonbyul didn’t answer. She just quietly packed her shoes finally. She pulled the strings of the duffel bag and tied it into a knot. Then she turned to face Hwasa.

“She doesn’t give me a chance to be near her. She’s always with Wheein.”

“You can ask Wheein to help you.”

“Why would Wheein help me when the woman is deeply in love with her?”

Hwasa winced at the thought of that. And Moonbyul heard it. She sighed before sitting next to Hwasa.

“What are you going to do with Wheein?”

“What can I do?”

“Aren’t you going to tell her the truth about your past relationship with her?”

“How do I even start?”

Moonbyul looked on; unable to answer Hwasa. She understood Hwasa’s frustrations and she herself was finding it difficult to get through Yongsun’s heart. Hwasa eventually dismissed the thought for a second and questioned Moonbyul further on her decision.

“So where are you going now?”

“Seoul.”

“Seriously?”

“I’m not running away. I’m going to start to trace back our memories, in Seoul. That place was where I started falling in love with her.”

Hwasa looked up; smiling.

“Ah, so you do have plans.”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure if I can do it.”

“I’ll help you.”

“You’re coming to Seoul with me?”

Hwasa nodded.

“But not now. Let me settle some stuffs with my father.”

“Hwasa ah, your father doesn’t mean to hurt you. He’s worried about you.”

“I know. But I lost Wheein for that reason.”

“How long are you going to be mad at him?”

Hwasa shrugged her shoulders but seemed determined over something that she has been thinking all the while. She stood up and grabbed an album from her drawer. She gave it to Moonbyul. The latter took a peek.

There was a photo of Wheein and Hwasa together. Wheein was hugging Hwasa tightly in her arms and there were all smiles. Wheein was still that small but she was really pretty.

“So this is young Wheein?”

“She’s beautiful, right?”

“Of course she is. But not as pretty as my Yongsun.”

Hwasa rolled her eyes but continued flipping the album. She smiled as every photo evoked her memories of Wheein. Moonbyul could understand how Hwasa was feeling at that moment. She reached out for her wallet and pulled out few photos that she had kept for the longest time.

There was a photo of baby Minhyuk, Yongsun solo photo and their wedding photo. She showed them to Hwasa.

“Aigoo, Minhyuk was so cute when he was a baby!”

“Yet I turned him away when Yongsun brought him to meet me for the first time.”

Moonbyul’s voice trailed off at the last bit and Hwasa could only pat on her shoulder gently.

“Don’t think of the past now. Just think of what you should do now. You can have this family back if you fight for it.”

“And you’re going to fight for Wheein too, right?”

Hwasa kept quiet but Moonbyul reached out for her hand and clenched it with her palm tightly. The woman turned to look at her.

“You told me this before. If I love Yongsun, I have to do all I can to win her back. Now I’m going to say the same thing to you. If you love Wheein, then find her back.”

Hwasa looked on.

-

Wheein was bewildered when Moonbyul came to look for her at the hospital. She saw a duffel bag over Moonbyul’s shoulder. She grabbed on Moonbyul’s hand; her eyes narrowed.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Moonbyul tried to pull away but Wheein held on tightly. Her grip was really strong. Moonbyul stared at Wheein’s arm before looking up.

“I’m leaving.”

“What? Why? Aren’t you supposed to fight for her?”

“How can I fight for her when you’re clearly in love with her and she’s smitten with you right now?”

Wheein rolled her eyes. Moonbyul was still the coward she knew.

“I thought you’ve changed.”

“I’m not leaving for good. I’m returning to Seoul.”

Wheein looked up. Moonbyul gave her a reassuring smile. She understood behind the meaning of that smile.

“You’re not going to give up, right?”

“No, I’ll not let you have her, Jung Wheein. Kim Yongsun has always been mine. And always be. I’ll win her back no matter how hard it gets. I’m going back to Seoul to trace back all our memories.”

Moonbyul’s eyes were determined and Wheein felt a little intimidated by her firmness. She smiled and then nodded.

“For now, please look after Yongsun and Minhyuk. I apologize for making use of your kindness for my own benefit but Yongsun is smitten with you right now. And I can understand why she’s like this. Kim Yongsun is a woman with a lot of affections. I was the stupid one who kept pushing her away 5 years ago; thinking that I was protecting her. In the end, I almost lost her.”

Moonbyul’s eyes watered immediately. The pain was too much for her to handle but she remembered Hwasa’s words. She made Yongsun cried for 5 years. She shouldn’t complain.

“I have to apologize that I might have to break your heart when I win Yongsun over.”

“You’re extremely certain that she will return to you?”

Moonbyul nodded as she clenched her fists together. Wheein gave her a small smile before patting on her back.

“Then good luck, Moon Byulyi.”

“Thank you. I’ll see you in Seoul. I need to see Yongsun for a second.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

Moonbyul thanked her again before leaving for Yongsun’s ward. Wheein looked on; with a sad smile. She knew Moonbyul would come around and get Yongsun back. She really hoped the best for them. Suddenly she felt someone tapping on her back. She was surprised to find a familiar face smiling at her.

“Hwasa-shi?”

“Hey, can we talk?”

“Sure.”

-

Minhyuk was fast asleep next to his mother. Yongsun kept staring at her son; her mind remembered her son’s question. He somehow found their wedding photo and Minhyuk could recognize Moonbyul. Probably because Moonbyul has been hanging around them for that long. Minhyuk somehow registered Moonbyul’s face clearly on her mind.

“Omma?”

“Hm?”

“Is this woman Moonbyul noona?”

It was a simple question but for Yongsun; it was the most difficult question she was going to answer in her entire life. Minhyuk was staring at the photo for the longest time as he waited.

Should she be honest with him?

If not, how long can she hide it from him?

How long was she going to lie to him about his true parentage?

But how could she go about telling Minhyuk about Moonbyul?

“Omma? Are you okay?”

“Hmm? Yeah, I’m just feeling a little tired.”

Minhyuk suddenly put the phone away and climbed on the bed. He knelt down in front of his mother and held her cheeks in his two small palms. Yongsun’s heart swelled with love when she realized Minhyuk was actually worried.

“Are you alright, Omma?”

“Yes, dear. I’m fine.”

“Is your head in pain again?”

“No baby. Omma is fine.”

“Then you lie down. Go rest. Minhyuk will stay here with Omma.”

Yongsun smiled and she was a little relieved that Minhyuk was distracted for a second. Instead, the boy pushed his mother gently down so that she could lie down on the bed completely. He then snuggled next to her; Yongsun moved a little to make some room for him.

She cuddled her precious boy in her arms and he put his arm around his mother’s torso. He gave her his toothless smile and Yongsun was amused. She suddenly missed those times when she carried him in her womb. Though she didn’t carry him to full term but she missed that cosy feeling she had when he was inside of her.

She gave a soft kiss on her forehead. Soon later, Yongsun could hear a soft snore on her side; she glanced down to find Minhyuk sleeping soundly. She reeled him closer and hugged him tightly. Tears watered in her eyes as she kissed him again on his cheeks.

“I’m sorry, baby. Omma doesn’t mean to lie to you. I’ll explain to you one day, okay? Please give your Mommy more time. Please give us more time. We will be back together as a family one day.”

-

Moonbyul stood at the door; looked on in silence. Yongsun had her back against the door so she didn’t notice Moonbyul. The woman was sleeping with their son in her arms. Moonbyul’s heart melted at the sight of the woman she loves so much and the son she treasures deeply. She was just an arm apart from them but it felt like they were separated by an invisible wall that was built on stupidity and regrets.

Moonbyul realized that she lost her 5 years for nothing. She understood that she had to put back the broken pieces of Yongsun’s heart back together. She will pick them all up; she will put them back together. It may not be as new but Moonbyul will protect Yongsun’s heart from then own.

She would give her all; everything that she could offer and if Yongsun wants her life; she would die willingly. It hurt her so badly that she had to watch Yongsun behaving intimately with Wheein. But she knew she deserved that.

She came nearer; tenderly and quietly. She was not willing to disturb the peacefulness and tranquillity in the room. Yongsun’s eyes were closed. The boy cuddled closer to her and Yongsun wrapped her arms protectively around him.

Moonbyul was moved to tears. Yongsun must have given her everything and all of her love to their son. It must have been tough for her. She has lost 5 years of her time; not raising her family together with her wife. She focused on Yongsun’s face; she studied her wife’s beautiful face quietly. Yongsun looked older now but her youthful look was still evident.

Moonbyul lifted the chair and quietly placed it in front of Yongsun. She sat comfortably before her fingers ran gently on Yongsun’s arm. Yongsun’s familiar warmth was almost soothing and comforting. The pain she felt her heart suddenly diffused away the moment Moonbyul gently wrapped Yongsun’s wrist with her palm.

Yongsun remained peaceful in her sleep. Minhyuk was softly snoring away. Moonbyul chuckled softly; both mother and son were heavy sleeper. Unlike Moonbyul who would wake up at the slightest touch; Yongsun would sleep through even if there was the loudest sound in the room. Apparently Minhyuk had that from Yongsun.

She shifted Minhyuk carefully as she realized Yongsun was sleeping near to the edge of the bed. She reeled the boy closer and Minhyuk rolled to his other side. At the same time; he pulled Moonbyul’s arm and hugged tightly. Moonbyul’s heart swelled.

She gently ran her fingers through Minhyuk’s hair. She looked closer and studied Minhyuk’s face. He has her high nose; his buck teeth is the same as Moonbyul. No doubt that this boy is indeed her flesh and blood.

She whispered softly.

“Minhyuk ah, I love you. I love you so much. Give me some time and I promise you that we will be a happy family together. I’ll give you all I could for the rest of your life. I’ll make it up to you, I promise. Give me more time, okay?”

She then kissed Minhyuk’s forehead softly.  She then turned her attention to Yongsun. She took her time; walked over to Yongsun’s side and carefully pulled Yongsun closer to her. The woman subconsciously shifted her body and turned to the other side. Moonbyul caught hold of her; she held her breath.

She was relieved that Yongsun was still sleeping soundly. Moonbyul carried her and shifted her futher into the bed. Ensured that her son and her wife were in their places carefully; Moonbyul sat next to Yongsun. Yongsun was facing her so Moonbyul nimbly raised Yongsun’s head and rested on her own lap.

Yongsun seemed comfortable. She even wrapped her forearm on Moonbyul’s thigh. Moonbyul missed this feeling. Yongsun used to enjoy this moment when they were together. She gently rubbed Yongsun’s arm gently; the woman whined slightly in her sleep.

A lonely tear fell from the corner of Moonbyul’s left eye. Her heart was breaking apart; but she held the pain deep down inside. She then whispered softly.

“Wait for me, Yongsun. I’ll do all I can to win your heart back. Even if it is going to take another 5 or 10 years, I’ll continuously chase after you. You belong to me, Yongsun ah.”

Moonbyul then pulled out the necklace from her neck. Her wedding ring was hanging from it. She caressed the ring gently with her thumb.

“I have been keeping our wedding ring close to my heart. I hope one day I can wear it on my finger again because Kim Yongsun, you’re the only woman I love in my whole life.”

Moonbyul swallowed hard. Her voice quivered but Moonbyul was determined to let her words heard even if Yongsun may not even hear her. She needed to let it out. She recited her wedding vows all over again.

“I, Moon Byul Yi, will always promise to love you; through good or bad times; through thick and thin and through good health or sickness. You’re the reason why I’m alive; the reason why I’m human. I love you, Kim Yong Sun. I may not be the best; I will not be perfect but I promise to give you all of me. Thank you for making me your life partner; thank you for giving me your heart to me; thank you for being Kim Yong Sun. Thank you and I love you. I want to live forever with you.”

She then leaned closer and kissed Yongsun on her left cheek.

However, unknown to Moonbyul, Yongsun wasn’t sleeping. When she felt someone touching her arm; Yongsun opened her eyes slightly and realized it was Moonbyul. She decided to keep her eyes shut and pretended to be asleep.

She missed Moonbyul’s touch. And she wanted to savour that feeling for now. And when Moonbyul lifted her head to her lap; Yongsun felt like crying. It had been too long that she last rested on her wife’s lap. That used to be her favourite place.

So when she heard Moonbyul’s wedding vows and love confession; she melted. Her heart swelled and she felt dejavu.  She felt like as though they were back during their dating days.

“Moonbyul ah, I’ll be waiting.”

Yongsun’s tears fell without Moonbyul realizing it.

-

Hwasa sat across Wheein. The beautiful woman had the sweetest smile on her face. They were sharing a bowl of patbingsoo.

“Ah, it has been awhile since I have eaten patbingsoo.”

Wheein was still scooping her favourite item from the bowl. It was her habit since young and Hwasa missed it. She usually would nag at Wheein for being picky but this time, she missed it. Wheein has a palate of a child; picking food that she would only eat and the rest; she will pass it to the other person.

Wheein realized Hwasa was watching her; she retracted her spoon and stuck her tongue out of embarrassment. She put her spoon down.

“I’m sorry. I have a bad habit.”

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.”

“Heh?”

Wheein was a little confused with Hwasa’s comment. The other woman was biting her tongue; but quickly got herself out of the awkwardness.

“I mean; my friend used to do that too.”

“Oh. I see.”

Wheein didn’t think much but she stopped eating eventually. She then glanced to her side and saw Hwasa’s luggage next to her.

“You’re going somewhere?”

“Oh, I’m following Moonbyul.”

“Why?”

“I just wanna take a break.”

“Oh and where you guys will be staying?”

“At a hotel I guess.”

Wheein frowned then she pulled out her keys. She gave it to Hwasa. The other woman was a little confused.

“What’s this?”

“You can stay at my place. I will give you my address.”

“Huh?”

“I guess I’ll be staying over Yongsun’s place often. My house is nearby to hers. We can always have dinner together. Moonbyul told me she’s not going to give up.”

“She told you?”

“Yup and I urged her not to give up. If she can win Yongsun’s heart, I will let her go.”

Hwasa was taken aback with Wheein’s decision. She was still marvelled at Wheein’s generosity. How could she love so deeply and then give up for someone else?

“Because Yongsun’s heart is not totally with me. She’s having amnesia. She might wake up one day and she will still leave me once she realize that Moonbyul is the one she loves.”

“Why are you hurting your heart that way?”

Hwasa felt so much for Wheein. She wanted to cry but she held her tears back.

“Ever since my parents died, I’m alone. So it doesn’t matter if that other person couldn’t love me. I will still be alone.”

Hwasa’s tears escaped immediately. Wheein was surprised but nevertheless she leaned forward and wiped Hwasa’s tears away.

“You don’t have to cry for me.”

“Wheein-shi, you deserve love like others. You cannot keep sacrificing your heart just because you think you will end up alone somehow.”

Wheein smiled and nodded. She then took the initiative to pull Hwasa closer. Hwasa wrapped her arms around Wheein immediately. Wheein was taken aback but she welcomed it. But for some reason, Hwasa’s hug felt so familiar. It was like as though she was being hugged like this before.

She pulled away and Hwasa looked up. Their eyes met and Wheein frowned. She hasn’t really seen Hwasa up this close. Hwasa’s facial expressions were often clouded by her heavy make-up. But today, Hwasa was wearing light make-up and Wheein could see her eyes clearly.

She knew she has seen those eyes before.

“Wheein-shi, you have me as a friend. You can always find me if you need someone to talk to. I may not help much but at least promise me that you would think of me when you feel lonely.”

“Hwasa-shi..”

“If you wish to fall in love once again, please consider me.”

Wheein was stunned.

-