Sequel 26

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Minhyuk woke up with a familiar face in the kitchen. She was adorned with the most domesticated apron on her; a spatula in one hand and another was busy pouring coffee into two cups. Minhyuk’s breakfast was all ready for him.

“NOONA?!”

The boy was stunned to find Moonbyul standing in the kitchen. He was pleasantly surprised though. He ran up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Good morning, Minhyuk! Are you ready to get to school?”

“Minhyuk miss Noona! Minhyuk hasn’t seen Noona for so long!”

He pouted his lips. It was true. It was coming to 2 weeks since Moonbyul came by. Moonbyul felt guilty. She finally understood what Yongsun wanted from her.

“I’m sorry, Minhyuk ah. I was busy working. But don’t worry, I will spend more time with you.”

“Noona staying here for good?”

“Your Omma wants Noona to stay with you.”

“YAY!”

Moonbyul picked him up and the boy was shifting himself to get comfortable. He’s quite a big boy but Moonbyul could effortlessly pick him up. He was hugging his Noona tightly; smiling widely and occasionally gifted her with kisses.

Yongsun was watching from the kitchen doorway. Her heart was softened at the sight of Moonbyul spending time with her son, wait no, their son. It wasn’t an easy decision for Yongsun but she was carefully weighing her options this time.

Her father was right. She couldn’t be more selfish when they have Minhyuk. She should have taken Minhyuk into consideration. But Moonbyul had to prove it to her. She hoped that with a little boost of confidence from her, Moonbyul would be able to soar high like how she used to.

“Give yourself this time to prove to yourself, Moon Byulyi. I’m not doing this for us only. I’m doing this for you too. Prove to the society; to others that you can do this.”

Yongsun sincerely prayed in her heart.

“OMMA! BREAKFAST!”

Her thoughts were interrupted by her son’s intrusion. She smiled widely before nodding. She walked across the kitchen to grab a cup when Moonbyul stopped her.

“I made your coffee.”

“Hm?”

“The way you used to like.”

Moonbyul settled Minhyuk down on his seat before placing Yongsun’s coffee in front of her. Yongsun briefly stared at it before looking up. Moonbyul was busy taking care of Minhyuk; spoiling him the way Wheein would. Those two women were such ers for Kim Minhyuk.

“Aren’t you going to eat your breakfast, Moonbyul?”

“It’s fine. I feel full just watching Minhyuk eats.”

“Are you going to your office later to tender your letter of resignation?”

“I need to talk to my boss first. I mean, it’s not appropriate to just leave so suddenly. Can I work to serve my notice at least?”

Yongsun nodded. Of course, work ethic is important. She agreed.

“I’ll send you to work. Get ready. Minhyuk, you too.”

“Thanks, Yongsun.”

“Noona! Help me get ready for school!”

“Sure! Eat your last bit of pancakes. I’ll see you in your room.”

Mother and son moved around the kitchen swiftly; Yongsun just looked on with a tender smile on her face. She had always imagined life like this with Moonbyul. She had this hope since she got pregnant with Minhyuk. She waited for too long to witness this but at least, it happened.

She was going to take one step at a time to mend her relationship with Moonbyul.

-

Hwasa prepared breakfast for Wheein. She moved in with Wheein and took up the guest room. Yet, Wheein still slept with her last night. She was startled to find Wheein next to her this morning but leaned closer to kiss Wheein’s cheek.

Wheein has always been like this. She’s a sleep hugger. There was no way she could sleep alone in the room if she knew someone was with her in the same vicinity. Last night, Yongsun pulled Hwasa aside.

“Unnie?”

“Please take good care of Wheein.”

“Unnie, you?”

“I think we should try to mend our lives; our broken lines with Moonbyul and Wheein respectively. I felt that it’s time we should be nice with our own hearts.”

Hwasa was deeply moved. She hugged Yongsun tightly.

“I made a promise to Wheein before. She still cares a lot about you. And she asked me to wait for her because you’re still hurting.”

“I can’t do that to her either. It’s unfair to her, to you, to everyone else. And most importantly, I cannot prolong Minhyuk’s pain either. He needs to grow up in a good environment – where his life isn’t complicated.”

“Yongsun unnie, you have us. You have Moonbyul and ultimately, you will still have Wheein as your biggest supporter in your life. And you have me. We are with you all the time. If you feel like breaking down and cry one day, then do it. We will never let you go, Unnie. Never letting go, remember that.”

Hwasa was grateful that things were finally coming together. Sure, Yongsun prefers to take her time but Hwasa was certain that Moonbyul and Yongsun would be together again; and live forever and love each other more than before.

And Hwasa was convinced that this time, she would find a happy ending with Wheein no matter what. She looked at the wall clock; it was almost coming to 7.50am. Wheein would need to wake up soon.

She grabbed a mug and poured some Chamomile tea. She then made her way to her room; Wheein was still sleeping soundly. She was hugging Hwasa’s lion plushie tightly. Hwasa smiled at the sight of the beautiful girl on her bed – the love of her life.

She sat at the edge and placed the mug under Wheein’s nose. The other was squirming in her sleep before her eyelids were fluttering. She finally opened her eyes.

“Morning.”

Wheein turned to her side; she found Hwasa at the edge of the bed, smiling widely at her. Wheein smiled.

“Morning. Are you going to greet me this way every morning?”

“Do you want me to baby you?”

“I haven’t had anyone babying me except for Yongsun unnie.”

“Can I be your new Yongsun unnie?”

Wheein bit her lower lip. She didn’t mean to blatantly hurt Hwasa that way, but it was just a slip of the tongue. She knew she had to move on from Yongsun somehow. But Hwasa knew better. She shook her head.

“Take your time, Wheein. I’m always here. I’m going to wait for you.”

“I promise. I’ll move on.”

“You can take all the time in the world. I’ll still stay by your side. Now, wash up. I’ve prepared your outfit and breakfast is on the table.”

Hwasa leaned in and kissed Wheein gently on her forehead. Wheein was flustered but closed her eyes tightly as she welcomed this treatment from Hwasa.

“Get ready. I’ll wait for you then we can have breakfast together.”

Hwasa left the room; leaving Wheein still in her slumber mode. Her heart was fluttering; she felt good and her mood was getting better as the morning sun filled her room. It felt good to have someone waking her up in the morning.

She loved this moment.

“Jung Wheein, it’s time for you to move on from Yongsun. You have Hwasa and she loves you. You can learn to love her back too.”

Wheein said to her own reflection in the mirror.

-

Yongsun dropped Minhyuk at his school together with Moonbyul. She even introduced Moonbyul to his teachers as her friend and Minhyuk’s guardian.

“Noted, Miss Kim. And hello to you, Miss Moon. I have seen you picking up Minhyuk from time to time. So, you are officially his guardian now?”

“Yeah, she is.”

Yongsun butted in. Moonbyul was surprised but remained quiet. The introduction went well and both left Minhyuk in his teacher’s care. Well, the boy had forgotten about them the moment he spotted his friends.

The pair went back to Yongsun’s car. Moonbyul was keeping shut; not knowing what to say but was pleasantly surprised with Yongsun’s initiative.

“I introduced her to you so that she can contact you too.”

“Are you doing this for us?”

“Of course. You need to assume your responsibility too.”

“Are you willing to forgive me one day, Yongsun?”

“I won’t be doing this if I don’t have the intention to.”

Moonbyul smiled. She turned to look at Yongsun. She then reached out for Yongsun’s free hand on the resting grip. She was cautious but Yongsun didn’t pull back either. She then slipped her fingers in between Yongsun’s. Moonbyul closed her grip tightly. And Yongsun allowed her to.

The ride was silent, but their hands were intertwined together. Although Yongsun was focused on the road; Moonbyul was comforted. It was good enough for her.

Soon, Yongsun reached her destination. She was dropping Moonbyul off. She looked around the surrounding. Majority of the workers were men. Her heart got worried.

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?”

“I have been working here for 2 weeks. All are good. These guys don’t really care about me.”

Yongsun noticed the construction site. The buildings were halfway done but it seemed dangerous.

“Do you go up on that temporary elevator?”

“All the time. I’m working on the 25th floor.”

“What?!”

“Don’t worry, the bosses ensure our safety. See the safety ropes and there’s even a makeshift first aid area.”

Moonbyul pointed to left corner of the site. There was a temporary makeshift area with a Red Cross above it. But Yongsun was still concerned.

“Can you give your boss my contact number?”

“Huh? Whatever for?”

“As your emergency contact.”

Moonbyul stared at her. She remembered leaving that portion blank on her form. She didn’t want to burden Hwasa so she left it blank on purpose.

“Please? Just give him my contact number. And you should give me his too.”

“But I’m going to tender. So, I probably work here for another 2-3 weeks to serve notice.”

“Still, anything could happen, and I want to be the first of contact should any unforeseen circumstances happen to you.”

Moonbyul smiled.

“Why are you smiling?”

“I’m happy.”

“Huh? What’s so happy about that?”

“You’re acting like my worried wife.”

Yongsun nodded.

“Moon Byulyi, I still care for you.”

“I know and I’m grateful for that.”

“Then behave and listen to me. I must be your first point of contact for any emergency. Can you promise that?”

“I promise.”

Moonbyul made a promise in her heart. She would treasure this short conversation. Kim Yongsun was worried for her.

-

“I tendered yesterday.”

“Oh? You did?”

“Yeah, I called them. Anyway, I was just a temporary staff. So, they would let me go without any conditions to be fulfilled.”

“Hang on, that means you’re not working today?’

“Yeah, I’m free now.”

Wheein looked at her watch and then back to Hwasa. She gave a deep thought before speaking up again.

“I have a case today. I’ll be in court. Do you want to watch me?”

Hwasa’s eyes grew larger. Of course, she wanted that.

“Of course!”

“Great! But you probably need to wear more presentable. A little bit formal?”

“Sure, I’ll do that. Are you going straight to the court room?”

“The hearing starts at 1pm. You can just stay in my office with me while I prepare the documentation. Oh, my assistant is going to be with me so I might need to leave you alone.”

“No worries! I’ll just sit quietly.”

“Okay, then get ready. We will be leaving in 10 minutes.”

Hwasa has been to Wheein’s office a couple of times. Her room is huge with a mini lounge for her to rest. The sofas were expensive and Hwasa loves the colour. She settled down at the lounge area while Wheein pulled out files after files.

Hwasa was served tea and she settled with her phone. She plugged her ears with earphones and just minded her own business. She was watching something on Youtube to kill some time.

An hour later, she got tired and the show had ended. She looked up to find Wheein with her black specs on; focusing on the documents in front of her. The spectacles were resting perfectly on the bridge of her nose; her eyes focused on the documents while her fingers were typing furiously on her laptop.

Gosh, Wheein looks so good now.

“Hyejin?”

“Huh?”

“Are you bored?”

“Ah, no. I just finished watching the show.”

“Oh, great! We can have a quick bite and head down to the courthouse.”

“We’re leaving soon?”

“I prefer to head to the courthouse at least an hour earlier.”

“Got it. Let me know when we are leaving.”

“Sure do, sweetheart.”

Wheein smiled before turning back to her files. And Hwasa was on cloud nine. Wheein called her sweetheart.

-

The courthouse looked so intimidating. It exudes power. Hwasa had never been into a court before. The podium where the judge would sit looked so majestic from where she stood. And people started filling up the seats; most of them were journalists. A few family members seated in the front and then the suspect.

Wheein didn’t mention much about the case. It was supposed to be private and confidential but Hwasa couldn’t help guessing whether Wheein was a defendant lawyer or the prosecutor. Then, the person mentioned walked into the room confidently; seated right in front of Hwasa. She was in white blouse and black skirt with a black blazer. She looked so good. Hwasa couldn’t take her eyes off her.

The hearing started and Hwasa found out who Wheein was representing. She was the defendant’s lawyer. The suspect was a 35-year-old woman who was accused of killing her husband. The prosecutor was a male lawyer. He was equally intimidating but Wheein was unfazed.

Hwasa watched with fascination how Wheein managed to throw hard cold facts at the lawyer’s face as well as rebutted all his accusations with evidences and testimonials. Even people around Hwasa were whispering Wheein’s fantastic defence. The prosecutor just couldn’t get through Wheein.

Wheein finally got her last break. She brought in a powerful witness and eventually threw in the last towel; giving the prosecutor no chance to fight back. The witness was the final nail to the whole case. The hearing was adjourned for 30 minutes but Hwasa was rooted to the wooden bench.

Jung Wheein was on fire. She oozed with professionalism and iness that Hwasa found herself smiling proudly even though the verdict was still in the bullocks. But she couldn’t find Wheein after that; instead she was left with a text message.

“I will see you after all this is done. Is that okay? After this, we can grab some lunch together.”

“Sure, by the way, you were superb!”

Wheein replied with a smiley emoticon. She must be busy so Hwasa decided to leave her alone. She waited instead and soon the verdict was soon to be given. Indeed, Wheein won. Her client was in the wrong to kill her husband, but it was an act of defence. The dead man was abusive and have hurt her a couple of times. He even caused two miscarriages that led to her client unable to conceive anymore.

Damn it. The amount of torment that woman had to go through. Hwasa felt that the man deserved to die. Instead of life imprisonment, the woman was given 10 years jail term. It was still better than that. And Wheein was impressive. Her client was satisfied with the verdict.

Hwasa waited for Wheein at the carpark. She remembered where Wheein’s car was. Soon, she found Wheein walking over with her assistant. They were victorious. Well, apparently, Hwasa heard some of the journalists chatting earlier on.

Wheein is a famous defending lawyer. She’s within the top-notch female lawyers who are labelled “bad-”. Nobody could win her.

“Your girlfriend is waiting, Boss.”

Wheein’s assistant commented; leaving Hwasa blushing and Wheein was smiling widely.

“Do you need me to drop you off somewhere?”

“Nah, you can spend time with her.”

“Shut up. Anyway, you don’t have to come office tomorrow. I want to take a break for a day.”

“To spend time with her?”

“Go before I kick you.”

Her assistant stuck her tongue before saying her goodbyes to Hwasa. She left quickly because Wheein threatened to kick her.

“I’m sorry. She can be playful.”

“I’m quite surprised though. She often looks serious at work.”

“She is but she can be goofy after work. One of my best assistants in my lifetime.”

Hwasa nodded. Wheein dumped her bags and files in the back seat. Both got into the car and Wheein drove off immediately. Wheein had in mind where to eat. And Hwasa eats anything so she didn’t mind the place Wheein suggested.

“Are you going back to office later?”

“I need to put those files back and write a commendation letter for my client. Do you need to head home after this?”

“I don’t have anything in mind.”

“Can you wait for me to finish my stuffs?”

“Okay, then after that?”

Wheein turned and then smiled.

“Let’s catch a movie. Let’s have a proper date tonight.”

Hwasa was taken aback. She never expected this.

“I have decided. Maybe its time I take the back seat. Yongsun unnie is back and she’s on good terms with Moonbyul unnie. I thought probably its time for me to focus on you. Is that okay with you?”

“Jung Wheein, today’s probably the happiest day of my life.”

Just like a rainbow after the storm.

-

“Stop splashing water on me! Ya, Kim Minhyuk!”

Moonbyul was asked to serve 2 weeks’ notice after she resigned. And she could go home earlier than usual. And she volunteered to pick Minhyuk from school. The boy was ecstatic to find Moonbyul waiting for him at the gate.

“Noona, let’s take the bus!”

“Bus? You sure? Taxi is more comfortable.”

“Minhyuk prefers bus or train!”

“Okay then, let’s go!”

Moonbyul bought dinner including Yongsun’s share and headed home. Minhyuk was extremely in good mood these days.

“What are you doing?!”

“Bathing!”

“The floor is wet!”

“Oh, but this is fun!”

Minhyuk kept splashing water and Moonbyul could only stare at her son. But she didn’t have the heart to scold him. Instead, she played along with him.

These moments she spent time with Minhyuk seemed different now. Earlier on, in the car, when Yongsun was sending him to school; the 3 of them had so much fun.

“Omma, is Noona staying with us for good?”

“That depends on her good behaviour.”

“Ooh, Noona is a naughty woman!”

Moonbyul laughed; Yongsun did too. Minhyuk started humming to himself. He was in a good mood and that made the whole ride somewhat bearable. Moonbyul was still feeling awkward around Yongsun but Minhyuk made it better.

Suddenly a familiar song was playing on the background. It was a song that Yongsun used to sing whenever she was happy. To Moonbyul’s surprise, Yongsun started singing along.

I wanna love you forever; and this is all I’m asking of you; 10,000 lifetimes together; is that so much for you to do; ‘cause the moment that I saw your face, and felt the fire of your sweet embrace; I swear I knew; I wanna love you forever….

 Moonbyul started tearing up. That lyrics meant so much and Moonbyul knew Yongsun was reminding her of her feelings towards Moonbyul. Her heart ached but she knew things would get better somehow. But both were trying hard to hold back their tears.

Suddenly, someone attempted to sing as well. It was Minhyuk. But the song was too high for him. His voice croaked. And he was hating it.

“OMMA, CHANGE SONG! MINHYUK CANNOT FOLLOW!”

Yongsun and Moonbyul stared at each other before they burst out laughing. Minhyuk just saved them from all those bad memories and heart pain. Indeed, this little angel of theirs was their salvation.

And Moonbyul just wanted this moment to last forever.

-

Wheein was buying popcorn at the counter while Hwasa waited at the corner. They decided to watch a teen flick like old times. It was some sappy love story and Hwasa was a er for such movies.

“Okay, popcorn done; drinks bought and it’s time to go in. Let’s go!”

Hwasa chuckled softly before she stretched her hands out to help Wheein with the drinks. They looked like a couple; and Wheein started feeding Hwasa popcorn one after another.

Wheein chose the couple seats since those were the only ones left. They found their seats and sat together; side by side. And it was freezing cold. Wheein was wearing her black skirt. Her exposed legs were frozen.

“Wheein, are you cold?”

“I might die later.”

“Don’t talk rubbish. Scoot closer.”

Wheein leaned closer towards Hwasa; she wrapped Hwasa’s right hand with her arms. Hwasa took out her jacket and placed it on Wheein’s exposed legs.

“Aren’t you going to be cold too?”

“I’m wearing long sleeves. I should be fine. Besides, my body is always warmer than yours. You’re probably a descendant of a vampire.”

Wheein rolled her eyes.

“So, I’m Robert Pattinson and you’re Kristen Stewart?”

“No, I’m Taylor Laurtner.”

“Who?”

“Werewolf. Jacob Black?”

“So, none of us is taking the female lead. We are surely gays.”

Wheein burst out laughing. And Hwasa followed suit. It was nice; this date was getting better by the second. They had so much fun together. Hwasa didn’t care much about the movie; she was more aware of the woman next to her.

Wheein was holding her hand; intertwined their fingers together. Wheein was warm; fuzzy warm and she was resting against Hwasa’s shoulder. Hwasa had never imagined that there would be skinship like this.

“Is this okay?”

Wheein suddenly asked amid the movie.

“What is?”

Hwasa whispered.

“Me like this; holding your hand this way. Is this fine with you?”

Wheein asked shyly.

“This is more than fine. This is perfection.”

And Hwasa turned to kiss Wheein gently on her forehead.

-