Sequel 9

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

“Omma!!”

Minhyuk ran along the corridor; screaming for his mother. The doctor called to inform that Kim Yong Sun was awake. So Wheein, Hwasa and Minhyuk rushed to the hospital. Minhyuk was incredibly excited to see his mother again. Hwasa and Wheein were following him from behind.

“Minhyuk ah, be careful!”

Wheein called out to him but the boy was more concerned about his mother. He reached his mother’s ward and was overwhelmed to see his mother on the bed; smiling at him. Her arms were already wide open.

“OMMA!”

He ran towards her and Yongsun enveloped her arms around her precious. Her tears fell immediately when Minhyuk whimpered in her hold. She was apologetic for putting her son through this. She apologized profusely.

“I’m sorry, Minhyuk. I’m sorry.”

“Omma..”

Yongsun gave feathery kisses on her son’s face and then hugged him tightly. It hurt her when she saw tears in his eyes. He was too young to feel this anxiety. She chided herself for being stupid. Minhyuk could have lost her if she wasn’t careful. But she was grateful and thankful to God for not taking her life away.

Wheein was standing at the door; all the pain and the fear she kept hidden in her heart exploded. Tears brimmed in her eyes and her face was flushing red. It was just so overwhelming to see Kim Yongsun again. She almost that wonderful woman.

“Wheein ah.”

Yongsun called out to her softly. Kim Yongsun was glad to see Wheein’s face. She realized that the younger woman’s presence was the biggest comfort she could ever get. Yongsun felt protected. But Wheein was still stuck at the door. Her feet refused to move.

“Jung Wheein, why aren’t you coming over?”

Wheein moved on the balls of her feet; her gaze still fixated on the woman. She mumbled softly.

“You scared the hell out of me.”

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah. I’m really sorry. Please, come over here and hug me.”

Without hesitation, Wheein ran towards her and gathered her arms around Yongsun; crushing Minhyuk in the middle. The trio cried together.  Yongsun buried her face in Wheein’s chest while Minhyuk was in between both of his mothers. It was a heart-breaking sight yet heart-warming.

Hwasa looked on with a bitter smile on her face. It was just heart-wrenching to watch Wheein with some other woman. Although she knew the truth; but it irked her. But she anticipated this; she gave Wheein up so that she could be with someone better but not this. Jung Wheein was involved with a woman with a complicated background. What would her parents say?

She remembered the past – the night she had to give Jung Wheein up.  The night she had to walk away and pretend like they never happened before.

-

“Are you Anh Hyejin?”

Hyejin was reading her notes when she was approached by a middle age lady. She was well-dressed and Hyejin suddenly could see the similarities between this woman and Wheein. The girl nodded politely.

“Can I sit here with you?”

“Sure, please do.”

Hyejin moved her bag to her other side. She put away her notes and sat there in silence. She was aware that the woman in front of her was reading her facial expression. Hyejin knew this woman was indeed Wheein’s mother.

“I think you know who I am.”

“Yes, I do.”

The woman nodded as well. She had something to say but the woman couldn’t put her thoughts into words. She didn’t want to scare the girl too much. She was not that type of person. However Hyejin knew. She knew that this day would come somehow.

“Is this about Wheein?”

Hyejin started the conversation. The woman seemed surprised but her daughter was right. Hyejin was smart and witty. She seemed to be aware of her surroundings. But the woman had to do what she had to. She approached Hyejin gently.

“You’re close to Wheein. And I’m thankful that Wheein found you as a friend. She became more studious; she stopped mixing around with the wrong company. And her grades went up as well.”

The woman paused before she continued again.

“Her grades are better compared to the last time. And her marks have given her a place in one of the prestigious colleges in Seoul.”

“Seoul?”

Hyejin was shocked to hear that. Wheein didn’t mention anything to her.

“I submitted her scores to the school and she got in. Her father has found a new job and we have to move to Seoul. Wheein is coming with us but I haven’t inform her.”

“Oh. I see. It’s great to hear that.”

“But we are a Catholic family. And I know about you and Wheein. I’m not sure if the rumours are true but I’m not going to care about the past. That’s history.”

Hyejin knew where this conversation was heading to. The woman’s facial expression wasn’t really that good and the fact that the family was moving – Hyejin was going to lose Wheein somehow.

“I hope Wheein will find a man and get married. I want her to have a proper and normal family – having children of her own and having a husband.”

That was subtle. The woman has mentioned her expectations and that didn’t include Hyejin. She knew Wheein was brought up in a strict Catholic family. Homouality was a taboo and it was clearly detested by the religion. It wasn’t not even legal in South Korea.

Hyejin’s heart started to ache. Tears were threatening to fall but Hyejin knew she had no right to say anything. She got the meaning well.

“I’m sorry. I’ll stop seeing Wheein.”

“I hope you can understand me. I do not have issues with you but my family – her grandparents are strict people. I do not wish to see Wheein suffering and I don’t wish to watch both of you being ostracized by the community. I’m sure you understand how this kind of relationship would be in the future.”

“I understand. I’m sorry once again.”

“We’re moving next month.”

Hyejin just nodded and when the woman left; tears fell profusely. Her heart was torn apart; it was breaking into pieces and Hyejin couldn’t find any comfort anymore.

-

Two days later, Hyejin met Wheein in school. Wheein’s eyes were red. And the moment she saw Hyejin, she ran towards her and jumped on the girl. She hugged Hyejin tightly. Hyejin’s heart sank; she knew this was probably the last time they could stay together like this.

“Hyejin ah..”

“Wae?”

“My father found a new job and I have to go with my family to Seoul.”

“Oh?”

“But I don’t want to go!”

Wheein cried on her shoulders. Hyejin could only pull her closer and hug her tightly. She felt like she was dying but she couldn’t stop Wheein either. Her mother had come to persuade Hyejin to give up on Wheein but seeing the girl like this; Hyejin couldn’t bear to ignore her.

So she pulled the girl away from her hold and then grabbed Wheein’s left hand. She intertwined their fingers together. The spaces between their fingers fit nicely. Wheein’s warmth was killing her softly. She was going to miss this girl so much.

But she knew this was going to be their last time together so they walked hand in hand towards the beach; sinking their toes in the sand as the waves washed over their feet. It was a perfect evening and the sun was setting down. Wheein finally stopped crying as she embraced the breeze blowing gently on her face. Hyejin kept her eyes on her; she was memorizing every curve; every spot; every lines and that deep dimple – every part of Wheein’s beautiful face. She wanted to keep it locked in her memory.

Wheein noticed Hyejin’s silence and the constant sad gaze on her. It was so unlike of Hyejin to keep her silence. The girl used to be hyper and always smiling when they were together. But today, Hyejin was a little too quiet for Wheein’s liking.

“Why are you so quiet?”

“Hm?”

“You’re a little too quiet today. Are you okay?”

Hyejin didn’t reply; she just tightened her grip on Wheein’s hand. She literally clenched Wheein’s hand in hers. It was not easy for her to hold back her tears but she knew she had to.

“Nah, I’m just tired today.”

“Do you want to go home?”

“It’s okay. I just want to spend some time with you.”

Wheein noticed Hyejin’s glassy eyes. The tears were swimming in her eyes. But seeing the girl who refused to budge at anything; Wheein kept her silence too. They just sat on the bench; hand in hand and Wheein rested her head on Hyejin’s shoulder.

“Will you keep in touch with me when I leave?”

“Sure.”

“Promise you will?”

“Yes, I will.”

That was a lie. Hyejin had to lie in the face of one person she loved so dearly. She had no choice. She was ready to give her first love up because it was the right thing to do.

“Please remember me, Anh Hyejin.”

But Anh Hyejin was determined to move on. She had to. It was for Wheein’s good.  So Anh Hyejin moved from her old place. She implored their friends and neighbours not to say anything to Wheein if she ever came back one day.

I’m sorry, Wheein ah. I hope you will understand.

-

Moonbyul watched as Yongsun gently wiped Wheein’s tears away. Her eyes focused on Jung Wheein – that smile on her lips used to be hers. Unfortunately, she lost it. She lost Yongsun.

Moonbyul felt movements beneath her. She was resting her head on Yongsun’s free arm. She opened her eyes wide open and sat up immediately. Kim Yongsun was awake. She was trying to pull her arm away and Moonbyul stood up quickly.

“Yongsun ah! You’re awake! I’ll get the doctor!”

“Wait, hang on. Who are you?”

Yongsun gave that quizzical stare and Moonbyul’s heart fell immediately. It crashed to the ground immediately when Yongsun couldn’t seem to remember her.

“You don’t remember me?”

Yongsun shook her head; and when Moonbyul tried to hold her hands; she pulled them back and the uncertainty was clearly written on her face. Moonbyul felt like dying. She was like a stranger to Yongsun right now.

The doctor came and Moonbyul stepped out of the room for a second. She sat on the sofa; her face buried in her hands. This was crazy. Did the impact really left Yongsun with no memories of her? Or was it Yongsun’s broken heart forced the memories of them to be buried deep down inside?

Minutes later, the doctor appeared in front of Moonbyul. The woman got up on her feet instantly.

“How’s she?”

“Miss Kim is doing fine.”

“But she doesn’t remember or recognize me.”

The doctor took a deep breath and sighed. He was sympathetic.

“Her head took the hardest impact. But for the loss of memories, I could only deduce that she’s probably suffering from amnesia. Something must have triggered her memory so that she could forget all the painful moments of her life.”

Of course. Of course Kim Yongsun would love to do that. 5 years were no easy feat but yet she tried to hold on. It was only Moonbyul who was stupidly thinking that she was protecting Yongsun. And now the tables have turned.

Moonbyul had gotten what she wanted – Kim Yongsun has finally erased her from her life; her memories.

-

Since then, Moonbyul hasn’t stepped into Yongsun’s ward anymore. She lingered around the hospital; dragging her feet as she staggered towards the park nearby. She sat on the bench; the sun was scorching hot. The sun rays were burning her but it didn’t matter anyway. Her heart was already burnt.

Tears filled her eyes; she felt like her heart had stopped beating. It was so difficult to breathe. This pain creeping in her heart – so this was probably what Yongsun felt back then when she pushed the poor woman away; again and again.

Throwing back her head as the sun shone on her face – tears started falling profusely. God, it hurt. It finally hurt Moonbyul the way she could never dreamt of.

“I’m sorry, Yongsun. I’m so sorry.”

She mumbled softly. She sat there for a while more before Hwasa found her. The woman had left Wheein with Yongsun and Minhyuk. She sat next to the tall girl.

“It’s so hot here.”

Hwasa spoke up after the long silence. But Moonbyul was just staring into space under the hot sun. The younger woman took out her umbrella. She sheltered both herself and Moonbyul under the crazy heat.

“Talk to me, Byul. Why aren’t you there with Yongsun?”

“Yongsun doesn’t remember me.”

Hwasa’s eyes grew larger.

“What?”

“She doesn’t remember me, Hwasa. The doctor said she might be suffering from amnesia.”

“But she can remember Wheein and Minhyuk.”

“So she must probably be suffering from selective memory loss. The doctor explained that it might be triggered from a painful memory that her brain wishes to stop thinking about it.”

“Are you trying to tell me that she has temporarily forgotten about you?”

Moonbyul nodded painfully.  Hwasa was speechless but nevertheless put her arm around Moonbyul’s shoulders.

“I’m sorry, Byul.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s not Wheein’s fault. It’s mine; totally mine. I did that to her. I made her heart torn into pieces so it was acceptable that she forgot about me.”

“Byul ah..”

“I deserve this, Hwasa.”

“But you’re not going to give up right?”

Hwasa was staring at Moonbyul who couldn’t seem to reply her. This was so wrong. How did it end up like this?

“Moonbyul, you cannot give up on her now.”

“What should I do? She seems to be afraid of me. The moment I come closer; she steers away from me. She refuses to look at me.”

Moonbyul finally burst. Tears fell and the only thing Hwasa could do was to hold her tightly in her arms.

-

“Wait, you don’t remember Moonbyul?”

Wheein was shocked when Yongsun shook her head.

“Who is Moonbyul?”

“Yongsun unnie, please. Please don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not lying. I don’t remember Moonbyul.”

Wheein was in disbelief. This woman was so in love with Moonbyul and she waited patiently for Moonbyul for the last 5 years. It was just so unbelievable that Kim Yongsun has no recollection of Moon Byul Yi.

“Wheein ah, I’m thirsty.”

“Oh, okay. Hang on. I’ll get you a drink. Minhyuk, you stay with Omma, okay?”

The boy nodded; he was still in her arms. The boy refused to let Yongsun go. Wheein left the room with the empty jug. As she walked down the corridor; her mind wandered. She was still stunned with Yongsun’s revelation.

Just then, she found Moonbyul walking back to the ward with Hwasa next to her. Moonbyul’s eyes were red. Wheein suddenly felt sorry for her. She approached them cautiously. Moonbyul was lifeless.

“Hey.”

Hwasa was the first to greet Wheein and the woman acknowledged with a smile. But Moonbyul remained stoned in her stead. Wheein was staring at the woman.

“Is she okay?”

“You knew?”

“Yeah, I just asked Yongsun unnie. She ..”

Wheein stopped; not wanting to continue fearing that it would hurt Moonbyul further. But the woman completed it for her instead.

“She doesn’t recognize me, right?”

“How is this possible? Did you ask the doctor?”

“I did. He said it was probably something painful and tormenting triggered her brain to stop thinking of the past.”

“What?”

“I must have been her most painful memory that she chose to forget about me.”

Those words were so painful to hear. Hwasa sighed and Wheein was feeling even more apologetic than ever. She suddenly felt that this whole trip was a wrong move. She started blaming herself but Moonbyul disagreed.

“It was me, Wheein. Those words I’ve said to her right before she got into that accident – those words probably killed her instantly. Perhaps when she was in that long slumber sleep; she has decided that I should be forgotten because of what I’ve put her through.”

“But this is just temporarily, right?”

“The doctor said it might. But it depends on the patient.”

Wheein then placed her hand over Moonbyul’s and squeezed tightly.

“Then don’t give up. Win her heart back. You don’t have the luxury to brood over the past anymore. If you really love Yongsun unnie, then buck up and get your ing mind straight.”

Moonbyul stared at Wheein.

“I told you before. I’m not that kind of woman who would sweep in and take your woman away. Because I can see that the love between of you is deeper than the ocean. There’s more than just words – both of you shared promises of love and this could be your last test to prove your bloody heart and your love for that woman.”

Wheein tapped on Moonbyul’s shoulder gently.

“This is your only chance.”

-

Yongsun was hugging Minhyuk tightly in her arms. She hid her tears behind Minhyuk’s back. The boy was busy playing with his mother’s phone. He was just glad to have her back in her life. And he had no idea what his mother was going through at that moment.

She lied. She lied to Moonbyul that she couldn’t remember her. It was driving her crazy when she saw Moonbyul’s tears but her brain was controlling her this time. Her mind kept telling her those tears were worthy because Yongsun had cried more than that. The tears fell over that 5 years were probably insatiable.

“I’m sorry, Moonbyul. I need to do this. If you really love me, please win me back.”

-

Moonbyul was in the room with Hwasa and Wheein. Yongsun was pretending to be playing with Minhyuk. Minhyuk was the only one who was oblivious to everything around him.

“Mommy Wheein! Aunty Hwasa! Moonbyul Noona!”

The little one screamed out happily. The three woman smiled at him. The boy was innocent. He shouldn’t be going through the heartache. It was good that he was unaware of the tension in the room.

“Omma is awake!”

He was really glad that she did. And Moonbyul’s thoughts wandered off again. She almost killed Kim Yongsun. Her son almost lost his mother. And it was her fault. But thankfully, Yongsun still remembers their son perfectly well.

The boy got down from his bed and ran towards Moonbyul. He took her hand and pulled her along with him. Both Yongsun and Moonbyul looked on as Minhyuk made Moonbyul stood in front of his mother.

“Omma, this is Moonbyul Noona. I met her at the beach. She helped me to get the ball back when it fell into the sea.”

Moonbyul’s eyes were staring at Yongsun; the woman in question nodded and smiled.

“She did? Did you thank her?”

“Yeah I did!”

Yongsun then looked up and smiled at Moonbyul. She stretched her hand out and waited for Moonbyul to grab it. The woman hesitated for a second but nevertheless grabbed Yongsun’s waiting hand. She grabbed it tightly; Yongsun could feel the tension.

“Thank you for helping Minhyuk.”

“It’s my pleasure. He’s such a good boy.”

“I’m sure he is.”

Yongsun then let go of her hand; Moonbyul stood still as Yongsun pulled away. Her fingers trailed against her palm and Moonbyul stared at her own hand. Yongsun’s warmth was still there.

The other woman then turned to look at Wheein who was still holding on to the jug of water.

“Jung Wheein, I’m dying of thirst.”

“Huh? Oh, that’s right.”

Wheein walked past Moonbyul and gently nudged her. The taller woman got out of her trance and moved closer to Hwasa. Wheein poured a glass of water and Yongsun took a sip. Minhyuk was sitting on the sofa; caught in his own world of games.

“Ah. I know you.”

Yongsun suddenly spoke up; she was pointing at Hwasa. The woman was taken aback but nevertheless gave her soft smile.

“Thank you for looking after Minhyuk for me.”

“It’s my pleasure, Miss Kim.”

“Just call me Yongsun.”

“Okay, Yongsun.”

She then turned to Moonbyul. She gave the woman a smile; Moonbyul returned it back. Yongsun then threw her attention at Wheein. She grabbed Wheein’s hand and clenched it tightly. It took her a lot of courage to do that in front of Moonbyul. She even put on her cutest aegyo.

“Jung Wheein, when can I get home?”

“You just woke up from a coma. Your head is badly injured. And you have lost a lot of blood. You’re probably going to stay here for quite some time.”

“But Minhyuk is starting school soon. Can I transfer to Seoul instead?”

“Huh?”

“I cannot possibly stay here while Minhyuk is in Seoul for his school. I want to be near him.”

“I’m around.”

“Then you want to leave me all alone here?”

Yongsun pouted her lips and Wheein was taken aback. The woman had never reacted like that towards her. Meanwhile Moonbyul just looked on; the knife in her heart twisted so much.

“Yongsun unnie, are you sure you’re alright?”

“Wae?”

“When did you get so chummy?”

Yongsun stuck her tongue out and pulled Wheein closer. She was literally hugging the woman right in front of Moonbyul. Wheein was stunned and Moonbyul, well she was dying slowly.

“I have been thinking about us.”

“Heh?”

“Shouldn’t we start dating soon?”

“Unnie, what do you mean by that?”

“I cannot remember anything. And I don’t understand why we’re not together. So I have decided. When I was in coma, I told myself when I wake up, I want to be with you, Jung Wheein.”

Moonbyul’s heart died on that very moment.

-

“Wheein?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you staring at me like that?”

Wheein was still in disbelief. Minhyuk was sleeping soundly on the sofa. Hwasa has volunteered to take Moonbyul home. The woman was dying every second.

And Wheein was left with the clingy Kim Yongsun. The woman was holding on to Wheein since just now.

“Jung Wheein, what’s wrong?”

“Unnie, I need to ask you something.”

“Sure, spill.”

“You don’t really remember Moonbyul?”

“This name came up again.”

Yongsun rolled her eyes and Wheein was even confused with Yongsun’s reactions. The younger woman held her closer.  She needed to be careful about this.

“No, I mean she’s someone dear to you before.”

“Really? Moonbyul?”

“Yeah, this person is really important to you.”

“If she is, then why couldn’t I remember her?”

Wheein was tongue-tied when Yongsun rebuked her. She was halved between telling Yongsun the truth or should she just wait for a better time to explain to Yongsun. The older woman was already showing signs of annoyance. She even pushed Wheein away when the woman tried to hold her.

Wheein sighed in defeat. She took Yongsun’s hands instead. She clenched them tightly.

“Are you mad at me now?”

“I told you umpteen of times that I don’t remember this woman.”

“Aren’t you curious as to why she was here with you?”

“I assumed she was just helping Minhyuk.”

Wheein was about to say more but Yongsun stopped her. Her reaction stunned Wheein. The woman leaned closer and kissed Wheein on her lips.

“Stop talking about this woman. Let’s talk about us.”

Wheein was bewildered.

-

Moonbyul was lifeless. Hwasa literally had to hold on to the woman. She knew Moonbyul was devastated but she urged the woman not to give up.

“You must be stronger than this.”

“I don’t know if I can do this.”

“You have to be stronger than Kim Yongsun. She has no collection of you in her memories. She has wiped out everything of you but still you shouldn’t crumble like this. You have yet to prove to her why you’re Moon Byul Yi.”

“Moon Byul Yi is gone from her life.”

“Then find her back.”

“Hwasa ah, I’m dying inside.”

“Everyone is. Even Wheein is trying to help you. Don’t you dare give up even before the war begin!”

“How can you be sure that I’ll win her back?”

“It’s up to you to prove it. Woman, you put her through for 5 years. And she put you through for just an hour – and you’re already dying. Think of Kim Yong Sun who had to endure your for the last 5 years. I really admire her for putting up with you for that long.”

“Will I lose her to Wheein, Hwasa ah?”

Hwasa was livid but she understood Moonbyul’s fear. However there was nothing Moonbyul could do. So she gripped Moonbyul by her shoulders tightly and made the woman to face her. She needed to say her piece and the rest was up to Moonbyul.

“Look. Wheein is an angel from what I see. She has been taking care of Yongsun for you. She undertook your role as Minhyuk’s mother as well. A normal person would of course cheer Wheein on to win Yongsun over. But what the hell – if you really love Kim Yongsun, this is the time for you to prove it. If you’re going to be weak like this; then you can forget about it, Moon Byul Yi!”

Moonbyul looked on, pathetically.

“You don’t have the time to sit and ponder for so long. Think of those times when you had to woo Yongsun for the very first time. Bring back those moments. You have to work harder than this to make her realize that this Moonbyul was the same woman Kim Yongsun fell in love before.”

-