Sequel 11

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Hwasa was on the way home with Moonbyul. Yongsun was sleeping so Wheein took Minhyuk back to the hotel. They had been staying there for the last two days and they needed a change of clothes. Minhyuk was sleeping anyway so Wheein decided to take the opportunity to bring him back to the hotel to get a proper rest.

Moonbyul decided to go home as well. She needed to think things properly. She had to gather ideas how she should win Yongsun over. Hwasa was in her own world. Her mind was only full of Wheein.

“Hwasa, are you okay?”

Moonbyul noticed that the woman was keeping quiet for most of the time. The younger woman turned to face her. She nodded.

“Are you sure? You seem distracted.”

“I’m just tired.”

“Oh, have a good rest later. I’m sorry that you have to follow me around.”

“Nah, it was my choice. Come, let’s hurry. It’s getting dark.”

The two women walked home together. Moonbyul was recalling her moments with Minhyuk while Hwasa remembered her hugging Wheein. She wanted to slap herself silly but she couldn’t help it. Her heart was aching so much.

-

“Hwasa-shi?”

Wheein was stunned when Hwasa wrapped her arms tightly around her waist. She quickly ended her call and turned to look at the younger woman.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry. I just felt heartache for you.”

“For me? Why?”

Hwasa wanted to dig a hole and hide herself. But it was too late. She needed to think fast.

“I just felt sad hearing your story. I just thought I should give you a hug to comfort you.”

“Oh.”

Wheein smiled gratefully. She squeezed Hwasa gently before pulling the woman away from her. Their eyes met and Hwasa found herself falling in love all over again. Wheein’s eyes were still the same – her eye smiles were close to perfection. And they used to be hers.

“Thank you so much for your kindness heart. But I’m alright. It has been years since my parents’ deaths. Although I’m still struggling to remember things, I’m still living well. I have to thank my foster family for giving me a chance at life again.”

“So you were raised by your foster family?”

“Yes I did. They gave me shelter and provided me with education. I wouldn’t be a lawyer if not for them.”

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to hug you because it hurts to know you have suffered so much.”

Wheein shook her head and then smiled widely.

“I’m just thankful that I have you as a friend now. Thank you for your kind thoughts, Hwasa-shi.”

Hwasa couldn’t say anything much.

-

Mr Anh was waiting for his daughter. Since Wheein came to the restaurant few days ago, he was concerned about his daughter. He was not ready to see Hyejin breaking down all over again. He was about to call her when Moonbyul and Hwasa appeared at their doorstep.

“Hi Uncle.”

Moonbyul greeted him first and the old man nodded. Moonbyul walked past him and headed to the room. Hyejin just kept her silence. She couldn’t look at her father for now. But she was stopped by him eventually.

“Hyejin ah, can I see you?”

Hwasa didn’t answer.

“Anh Hyejin, I’m talking to you.”

Moonbyul stopped and turned around. Hyejin was staring at the floor; she was still keeping in her silence. The woman was puzzled but she didn’t do anything.

“Moonbyul, get in the room. I’ll talk to my father.”

“Oh okay.”

Moonbyul left and Hwasa turned around to face her father. She slowly lifted her head up and their eyes met. His eyes were always firm but yet benevolent. But not tonight, Hwasa was disappointed with him. He lied to her.

“Hyejin ah.”

“Yes.”

“Are you okay?”

“Why?”

Mr Anh stared at his daughter. He could sense that his daughter was closing herself up; just like what she did the night she left Wheein.

“Did she come to look for you?”

Hwasa glared at his father.

“What are you talking about?”

“The girl you’re in love with, she came by to the restaurant few days ago.”

“She did?”

“Didn’t she come to look for you?”

“No, she wasn’t.”

Mr Anh became confused. He was certain that Wheein was searching for someone that day. He wanted to ask more but Hwasa beat him to it.

“Did you know what happened to her?”

Mr Anh’s turn to keep quiet.

“Appa, you knew what happened to her, right? Sowon told me.”

“Hyejin ah, I did that for your own good.”

“For my own good? You know how much I love her.”

“That’s the reason why I did that. You loved her too much that you turned crazy. I almost lost my daughter to depression.”

“But Wheein lost her parents that night, Appa.”

Mr Anh was shocked. His eyes were wide open.

“I thought they were only badly injured?”

“No, Appa. They succumbed to their injuries and passed away on the same night. Both of them died and left Wheein alone. And you know the worst part of it was?”

Hwasa’s tears fell almost instantly.

“She couldn’t remember much about her past. She has vague memories of what happened in her past. And she was all alone, Appa.”

Mr Anh felt worse.

“And because of that, she couldn’t remember me.”

Hwasa cried so hard that night.

-

Moonbyul overheard Hwasa’s conversation with her father. She didn’t mean to eavesdrop but Hwasa was not herself tonight. Moonbyul was worried for her and now she knew. The girl Hwasa was telling her - it turned out to be Wheein.

It must have killed Hwasa when she first met Wheein. It was no wonder why she kept urging Moonbyul to ing set things right with Yongsun. Moonbyul leaned on the door as she recalled what happened at the hospital.

Watching Yongsun treating Wheein with tender love and gentle sweet kisses – the knife in her heart kept twisting. It bled and there was nothing Moonbyul could do.

-

“Yongsun unnie, it’s time for your medication.”

Wheein stood next to Yongsun with a tiny cup filled with pills. Yongsun winced when she saw it. She pouted her lips.

“Can I don’t take them?”

“No, you have to. You need to get better.”

“But they taste yucky.”

Wheein rolled her eyes as Minhyuk was sniggering away.

“Omma, you’re like me.”

“Exactly. You’re turning into another Minhyuk.”

“But the pills really don’t taste good.”

“You just need to swallow them. I never ask you to chew on them.”

Wheein was firm on her stand. She waited patiently until Yongsun gave up. She pouted her lips but she still took them anyway. Once she was done, Wheein patted her head like a little child.

“Good girl, Yongsun.”

Yongsun stuck her tongue out before putting her arms out. Wheein knew what she wanted – she leaned closer and gave the older woman a tight hug. Moonbyul was watching them all the while. She knew she shouldn’t be in that room but she had to.

She wanted to feel the pain – the same kind of pain Yongsun went through before. And boy, it cut her like a knife. She looked away when Yongsun gave Wheein a soft kiss on her lips. She might lunge at Wheein for that.

“Yongsun unnie, there are people in this room.”

“So?”

“Kim Minhyuk is watching.”

Yongsun turned to her son who was grinning away at his mother. She smiled when the boy gave her a sly smirk. She had always knew Minhyuk adores Wheein.

“Omma, you should kiss Mommy Wheein more often.”

The three women stiffened in their steads. Even Minhyuk had his own preference.

“Mommy Wheein is always with us. Minhyuk doesn’t want Mommy Wheein to leave us one day.”

Moonbyul’s ears bled while Wheein’s heart sank. Yongsun felt like crying but the three women held back. There was not the right time to fall apart.

“You love your Mommy Wheein?”

“Of course I do! She’s the best Mommy!”

Moonbyul was dying inside.

-

“Byul?”

Moonbyul snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Hwasa calling out to her. She turned to find the woman with her eyes red.

“Did you cry?”

“I guess so.”

“I heard everything, Hwasa ah.”

Hwasa nodded without saying anything. She walked towards the dressing table as she dumped her bag and accessories on the top of the table. She then sat on her bed while Moonbyul sat on hers. Both women were staring at each other before Moonbyul spoke up.

“So the girl is Wheein?”

Hwasa nodded.

“She’s the girl who has been residing in your heart all this while?”

“Yes, she’s the one.”

Moonbyul couldn’t say anymore. She wasn’t the only hurting now. Hwasa must have felt worse.

“And she doesn’t recognise me, Byul.”

“I’m sorry, Hwasa.”

“Don’t apologize to me. It was never your fault. I guess fate was just playing a fool with the four of us.”

“What are we going to do now?”

“I have no idea now.”

“It’s no longer a love triangle. It’s a love square now.”

Both women sighed in desperation.

“But you mentioned Wheein was in an accident?”

Hwasa nodded.

“She was involved in an accident but my father hid it from me. She lost her parents, Byul ah. She must have been devastated. She was probably lost because she couldn’t really recall anything. I could imagine how painful it was for her.”

“I feel really bad now. She deserves Yongsun better than me.”

“You and me. We both broke our woman’s heart so badly. I think we both don’t deserve them in the first place.”

Moonbyul agreed.

-

Wheein was lying on the bed. Next to her was Minhyuk. The boy must have been exhausted after running around with Moonbyul. She turned to face her god-son. She smiled as Minhyuk leaned closer to her. She cradled the boy in her arms.

“Minhyuk ah, your real mother is finally here. She’s going to come back for good and you can reunite with her soon.”

Wheein’s tears filled her eyes.

“Mommy Wheein cannot be here all the time. I love you, Minhyuk ah but it’s time for your real mom to take good care of you. Give her a chance, okay baby boy?”

Wheein tucked Minhyuk under her chin; her arms wrapped around the boy protectively. She hummed softly before she felt the boy hugging her tightly. The boy mumbled in his sleep.

“Mommy Wheein, Minhyuk loves you.”

Wheein cried almost immediately.

-

Yongsun shifted around on her bed. She couldn’t sleep well. She looked around and realized she was all alone. She sighed as she surrendered to the stillness night. The air was stale and she felt suffocated.

It hurts thinking of Moonbyul.

It hurts thinking of Wheein.

It hurts thinking of Minhyuk.

It hurts thinking of the situation.

It hurts thinking of her broken heart.

Yongsun wished she could put a stop to all the pain she has given to everyone special in her life especially Jung Wheein.  Just then, someone appeared next to her. She turned to her side and saw her father smiling at her.

“Appa!”

She tried sat up but the old man stopped her. His gentle smile was always comforting for her. He sat next to her.

“Omma is not feeling well but she’s worried about you.”

“I’m sorry, Appa. I should have been careful.”

“Wheein told me everything. She called me.”

Ah, now she knew why Wheein took so long for her phone call. The woman was always considerate like that.

“She told me she has found Moonbyul and you have met her.”

Yongsun nodded.

“And she told me you’re faking amnesia because you’re too torn apart to forgive Moonbyul so easily.”

“Am I doing the right thing, Appa?”

“You’re old enough to know what to do with your life. But you have to remember. There’s Minhyuk to consider.”

“I don’t know how to break this news to him. How could I tell him that Moonbyul is his real mother while he adores Wheein a lot.”

Mr Kim smiled and gently caressed his daughter’s cheek. He was just grateful that she was out of danger now. He was praying so hard while travelling all the way down to Jeonju. But after he saw her in a flesh, the worry in his heart melted so easily.

“Minhyuk is still young. You can slowly ease Moonbyul back into his life. He will accept it somehow. But I worry about Wheein. You should know how much that woman cares about you.”

Yongsun’s heart ached when Wheein’s name was mentioned. She admitted that she somehow had a little affection for the younger woman.

“Wheein has wasted 5 years of life being by my side. She waited and waited but I could never break free from Moonbyul’s ghost. And now I’m hurting again.”

“Then set her free, Yongsun.”

Yongsun looked at her father.

“Either you set her free or you keep her close with you and learn to love this wonderful woman who was nothing but perfectly beautiful for you.”

“You hate Moonbyul, don’t you?”

Mr Kim shook his head as he sat next to his daughter. He cupped her cheeks together and then laughed when Yongsun seemed to be struggling.

“Your chubby cheeks never run.”

“Appa, this is not the time to tease me.”

“You’re so beautiful, Yongsun. And you’re so special that I wish I could undo all this pain in your heart. I’m not mad at Moonbyul. I don’t hate her either. She grew up with so much hatred and no love at all from the man who raised her. She lost her senses and perhaps because of lacking so much family bond; Moonbyul was a little selfish when it comes to you. But I’m sure you will get through this with her together. You just need a little more time and faith in each other.”

Her father paused before he continued.

“But Wheein, I’m protective over her because I know her background.”

“What do you mean?”

-

Kim Baek Hon rushed to the hospital with his wife. His old friend from Jeonju had met with an accident. He had just transferred to Seoul a month ago. Mr Kim was concerned when he was told that his friend and his wife were in grave danger.

“Hi, I’m Kim Baek Hon. I’m Jung Dae Han’s good friend.”

The doctor looked down and shook his head.

“I’m sorry, Mr Kim. But both Mr and Mrs Jung didn’t make it. They both died while on the way here.”

“Oh my god.”

Mrs Kim covered in shock while Mr Kim closed his eyes tightly. They were supposed to meet the family for dinner but instead, the Jungs got into an accident while on the way.

“Then they have a daughter with them. Is she alright?”

“She’s in a coma now. She’s the only survivor.”

-

Mr Kim stayed vigil beside Jung Wheein. The poor girl has lost her parents and she didn’t have a clue about it. She was still in coma. It had been a week. Mr Kim took the liberty himself to look after the poor child. She was only 19.

Just then, a man appeared in the ward. He was seeking for Mr Kim.

“Yes?”

“Hi, I’m Mr Jung Dae Han’s lawyer. Can I speak with you for a moment?”

“Sure.”

Mr Kim pulled the blanket up and gently caressed Wheein’s cheek. He stood up and left the room. They settled down at the waiting area.

“What is this about?”

“Mr Jung had appointed you as his daughter’s guardian should something happen to him and his wife. Both have agreed that you should handle his daughter’s will.”

Mr Kim was surprised. Dae Han had never shared this with him. But since he was appointed, he would gladly take up this position.

“Miss Jung will be placed under your custody. The late Mr & Mrs Jung have left 55 billion won for Wheein’s future endeavours. If she doesn’t survive too, then this money is yours.”

“No, I’ll make sure Wheein survives this.”

“Mr Kim, do you want to be the sole assignor of this will?”

“No, do up another letter. I’ll transfer this to Wheein when she turns 25.”

“Very well, Mr Kim. We will meet again at my office to sign the official documents.”

Mr Kim nodded and the lawyer left. He then went back to Wheein’s ward and took the girl’s hand in his.

“Wheein ah, this is Uncle Kim. You have to survive this. Your parents’ legacy is only you. You have to survive this, child.”

-

Wheein woke up from her coma but unfortunately, she didn’t have much memories of her past. But she was devastated when she learnt her parents died in the car crash. She cried for hours but Mr Kim was there with her. Mrs Kim was hugging her.

“We will look after you, Wheein ah.”

Mrs Kim was assuring the poor girl. Mrs Kim felt at loss because she could never imagine if the same thing should happen to her daughters, Yong Hee and Yong Sun. How lost they would be.

“Wheein, you can stay with us.”

“No. I don’t want to.”

“Wheein ah..”

“I can stay on my own.”

“But I have to keep my promise to your father.”

Wheein smiled and then she shook her head. She politely declined to stay with the Kims.

“I will continue to live at my place. But I promise I won’t hide away from you. You can still look after me. I just don’t wish to bother you and confuse your children with my invasion into the family.”

“Are you sure, Wheein?”

Wheein nodded.

“Just promise that you will have dinner with me at my house every week. I can live on my own. And if I have problems, I will find you.”

Mr Kim nodded. He agreed. So he sent Wheein back to her house; he did some renovations and installed cameras around the house. He employed a nanny and a driver for Wheein. He even bought her a phone.

So Wheein lived with her nanny and she got closer with the old lady. The nanny would report to Mr Kim and as promised, he and his wife would have dinner with the child alone. His own daughters had no idea about this arrangement.

The girl grew up beautifully; Mr Kim sent her to UK to study law. The girl grew into a beautiful and smart woman and when she returned to Korea, Jung Wheein was already a well-known lawyer. She topped her university and scored well during her bar examinations.

Mr Kim was proud of Wheein. And the lady was grateful to the old man for giving her so much. To Mr Kim, Wheein was just like his daughter. And when he found out about Wheein’s feelings for Yongsun, he was happy.

No doubt, he would prefer Wheein as his daughter’s life partner; but he knew his daughter is still very much in love with Moon Byul Yi. So he sent Wheein to represent the woman and to get her out of the jail. And the rest was history.

-

Yongsun’s heart was completely devastated when she learnt of Wheein’s past background. And she had to hurt her more with her selfishness. The tears fell as her heart was wrenching in pain.

“Appa, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Wheein has made me promise not to say anything. To her, loneliness is her best friend. She has grown up alone despite having her nanny with her. That’s why I’m imploring to you now. If you cannot love her; then set her free. Don’t make use of her heart because of your selfishness.”

“I will never do that to her, Appa. I pray every day that she will find her happiness and I pray so hard that she will only have happiness after me.”

Mr Kim smiled and hugged his daughter tightly.

“Since now you learnt the truth, I hope you can accept Wheein as your little sister. Your sister already knew the truth.”

Yongsun smiled and then nodded. Of course she would love that.

“Yes, Appa. I will. This time, I’ll be protective of her.”

Yongsun promised.

-

Wheein was back at the hospital. Minhyuk was with his grandfather. He was so excited to meet the old man. So the man took the boy with him so that Wheein and Yongsun would have some time alone. He had already informed Wheein that Yongsun knew the truth now.

So the two of them were sitting face to face – Wheein was on the chair and of course Yongsun was on the bed. There were smiles on their faces and Wheein felt a little awkward.

“I know why.”

Yongsun spoke up.

“What is it?”

“The reason why you hesitated. It was not only because of Moonbyul. It was because of your relationship with my father.”

Wheein stuck her tongue out in embarrassment. She probably knew that this love was not meant to be. But she had never shared it with anyone.

“You see me as your older sister, aren’t you?”

“Yes, after a while, I slowly pushed this intense feelings away. Your father has helped me a lot and I thought it would be easier if we can be sisters instead.”

“I’m sorry. I’m so stupid to hurt you again and again.”

“It’s okay. We’re fine now, aren’t we?”

Yongsun gestured Wheein to come closer. She patted on the side of her bed gently. Wheein smiled before she joined Yongsun on the bed. The older woman placed her hands on Wheein’s cheeks carefully. She looked deep into Wheein’s eyes.

She was amazed with Wheein’s strength and determination to move on with her life alone. The toughness of this woman to face life so cruelly and she had been alone all this while. Yongsun wished she had knew earlier and that she could stop Wheein’s pain immediately.

“You’re the silliest woman I have ever met.”

“Are you going to use your authority as an older sister now?”

Yongsun rolled her eyes. But she cupped Wheein’s cheeks tighter.

“Jung Wheein, you know how special you are to me now?”

“I am?”

“Yes, you’re the most special person in my life now.”

“So can you just love me only?”

“Of course.”

“Really?”

Wheein’s eyes sparkled as Yongsun giggled softly.

“Really. I love you ah, Jung Wheein.”

“I love you too, Unnie!”

The two women hugged each other and someone was just outside the ward. She was standing there for the last 5 minutes. She heard their confession for each other.

And she wasn’t alone. The other woman heard too.

Their hearts were broken into pieces.

-