Sequel 15

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Wheein dropped Yongsun and Minhyuk at their place. She decided to check on Hwasa and Moonbyul whether they have settled in at her place. She parked her car and went up to her house. She has an extra card key. Once the lift opened, Wheein caught a whiff of a sweet smelling aroma coming out from her kitchen.

She dumped her keys on the side cabinet and went to the kitchen. Moonbyul was busy cooking; she wasn’t aware of Wheein’s presence. Her back was facing Wheein. Hwasa was no way in sight. Not intending to disturb Moonbyul’s concentration; she made her way to the bedroom.

Hwasa was not in the living room so Wheein assumed that she might be in the room. She opened the door quietly and she saw Hwasa sleeping on her bed. She must have taken ownership of her room and probably Moonbyul took the guest room. She scurried around the room swiftly; pulling her clothes from her cupboard. She needed some clothes as she didn’t have spare at Yongsun’s house.

She kept her eye on Hwasa as she packed her spare clothes and toiletries quietly. Once done packing, she sat at the edge of the bed. Hwasa was sleeping like a baby; the blanket was wrapped all the way to her neck. She didn’t wear much make up so her eyes were actually smaller than usual. Wheein stared carefully at Hwasa’s face; her heart started to beat faster.

She couldn’t help it but smiling at the way Hwasa whined in her sleep. This woman was full of mysterious vibe but somehow familiar to Wheein. She found herself leaning closer and her hand moved by itself as her palm gently cupped Hwasa’s cheek.

Wheein’s heart skipped a beat and her cheeks flushed in red. She felt dejavu. She felt like as though she had been this close to Hwasa before. But she couldn’t remember anything.

“Who are you, Hwasa-shi? Why does it feel like as though I’ve known you for years?”

Wheein whispered softly. Since she couldn’t remember anything, she decided to leave Hwasa alone. She was about to head for the kitchen when Hwasa suddenly grabbed her free hand. Wheein almost fell backward but she managed to stop herself. She thought Hwasa was awake but her eyes were still closed shut. Hwasa’s warmth seeped slowly into Wheein’s heart.

As she was slowly getting confused with her own feelings, Hwasa suddenly mumbled something in her sleep. It was loud enough for Wheein to hear and her eyes grew larger after she heard Hwasa’s words.

“I should have told you how I felt and held on to you. I should have be braver and face this world with you. But I’m a coward. And in the end, I lost you. I lost you completely. But I love you. I still love you, Jung Wheein.”

Wheein was stunned.

-

Moonbyul was preparing lunch for Hwasa. The woman was all quiet now but earlier on, both of them were sharing their thoughts about their respective women. It drove Hwasa crazy whenever she laid eyes on Wheein but she could never tell Wheein anything. And it made Moonbyul regretted even more whenever she thought of those years she has lost.

“Sigh.”

Hwasa joined Moonbyul in the kitchen. She saw those words on Wheein’s notebook and her heart ached so badly. She couldn’t imagine how lonely Wheein was since her parents’ deaths. She wanted to hit herself so badly for abandoning Wheein and being a coward.

Moonbyul was busy chopping the vegetables when she heard Hwasa’s exasperation. She looked up; still carefully chopping the carrots in front of her.

“Wae?”

“I want to kill myself.”

“What?”

“Wheein has been lonely all this while.”

Moonbyul ceased her movement before putting the knife down. She then pulled Hwasa closer and gave her a quick hug.

“You’re going to tell Wheein about your past with her?”

“I don’t know. I’m mad at myself for being so coward.”

“Ya, stop blaming yourself. You were young back then.”

Hwasa pulled her hair in frustration. She wished she could turn back the hands of time to that moment when Wheein’s mother approached her. She should have tried to convince Wheein’s mother that her love for Wheein is sincere.

“Can I turn back the hands of time right now?”

It was Moonbyul’s turn to let out a long sigh. She wanted that too.

“I wish I could. I need that.”

Hwasa grabbed the knife from Moonbyul and started chopping the remaining vegetables. The duo regretted so much but they couldn’t seem to do anything much about it either.

“We only have the present to undo our mistakes.”

Moonbyul spoke up after a moment. Hwasa nodded.

“But it is going to be tough for the both of us. Wheein and Yongsun are probably falling deeply in love right now.”

“I cannot let that happen.”

“Neither could I but what are your plans now?”

Moonbyul was silent for a second before she spoke up.

“I need to look for my father-in-law and seek for his forgiveness. I need to atone for my mistakes so I’ll start with her family first.”

“What if they prefer Wheein over you?”

That was that one thing Moonbyul was afraid of. Wheein was probably the best candidate for Kim Yongsun by looking at the wealth Jung Wheein has.

“Then I have to work hard to win their trust back. I’m not going to stop trying until I get Kim Yongsun to remember me.”

“Then I should do the same as you. Maybe I should start tracing back my history with Wheein.”

“Let’s do this together, Hwasa ah.”

Hwasa nodded. Both were determined.

-

Moonbyul recalled her conversation with Hwasa. She needed to act fast before she loses Yongsun to Wheein forever. She has another person to convince too – Kim Minhyuk. Suddenly someone invaded her silence.

“What are you thinking about?”

Moonbyul was startled and turned around immediately. She was surprised to find Wheein standing at the kitchen door; smiling at her. She was alone.

“When did you get home?”

“Awhile ago. I saw you cooking but I didn’t want to disturb you. I packed some clothes.”

Moonbyul glanced down and saw Wheein holding on to her tote bag. She didn’t have to ask. She knew Wheein was going to stay with Yongsun for time being.

“Have you eaten?”

“I promised Yongsun unnie that I’ll be eating at her place.”

“Ah. I see.”

Moonbyul’s heart sank. What the hell was she doing? She was supposed to be with Kim Yongsun now. But she bit her lower lip to stop herself from crying.

“Listen, I will arrange for us to have dinner together. You said you’re going to win Yongsun’s heart back. This is the time for you to do it and I hope you will not run away if it gets too hard.”

“I won’t. I’m done running away. I’ll face this.”

“Good. Don’t forget – you have a son. Kim Minhyuk. Hyukkie has no idea who you are. You must think of a way to win him over.”

“Is Minhyuk doing okay?”

“He’s fine but he’s protective of Yongsun unnie. He’s not letting anyone to hurt his Omma.”

Wheein was hinting to Moonbyul. She knew Minhyuk was not going to be easy on Moonbyul.  Moonbyul just nodded. She knew she had to do something about Minhyuk. And Wheein’s expression was a little grim. She wondered what was going on in her mind.

“What’s wrong?”

“Hm?”

“You look a little disoriented.”

“Moonbyul ah, you need more than 100% to win back those people you have lost. And that includes Minhyuk.”

Moonbyul was a little concerned. She burrowed her eyebrows together.

“What do you mean?”

“Minhyuk found out about you and Yongsun unnie. And he doesn’t like it.”

“He doesn’t like it?”

“He knows you’re his mother but he thinks that you’re not fit to be his mother because you were never around.”

Moonbyul was disheartened to hear that from Wheein. The woman just patted on her back gently and urged her not to give up.

“I’ll talk to Minhyuk again. You cannot give up now.”

Moonbyul’s heart was halved.

-

Yongsun was in her room when she heard noises in the living room. Wheein had dropped them off before heading back to her apartment. Yongsun dragged her luggage back into her room and was planning to unpack when she heard crashes outside. Alarmed with the loud noises and concerned for Minhyuk’s safety, Yongsun rushed out of her room.

To her dismay, photo frames of Moonbyul and herself were completely smashed on the floor. Minhyuk was throwing them onto the floor.

“Minhyuk ah!”

Yongsun rushed to her son and pulled him away before the boy steps onto the broken glasses. She was in completely shock to see Minhyuk’s aggressive behaviour. His eyes were furrowed together and he was breathing heavily. He was glaring at Moonbyul’s photo.

“What are you doing?!”

“I don’t like her!”

“But this is wrong! What if you get cut from these broken glasses? You can get hurt, do you know that?”

Minhyuk didn’t reply. He looked away and refused to face his mother when Yongsun turned him around to meet his eyes. Yongsun’s heart sank to her stomach. Minhyuk’s harsh retaliation towards Moonbyul was too frightening. It was like as though the boy kept a grudge towards the woman for the longest time.

But nevertheless, Yongsun knew she had to calm down before she carried her precious boy into her room. There were no visible cuts on his arms and legs. Once she was certain that Minhyuk wasn’t injured, she coaxed the boy to face her. She placed her palms gently on his cheeks. She raised his cheeks up and Minhyuk reluctantly looked at her.

“What’s wrong, baby? May I know what you did that?”

Minhyuk kept his mouth shut but his glare was a little calmer than before. She looked at her son carefully. She wanted to read his facial expressions but the boy didn’t give her any.

She tried again; this time with a softer tone.

“Minhyuk ah, why did you do that?”

“I don’t want her to be my Mommy.”

He finally spoke up. He was still using the same stance he did when they were in Jeonju. He seemed firm with his decision. But Yongsun knew she had to resolve this problem. No matter what other said, Minhyuk’s blood is the same as Moonbyul. And the fact that this boy is her own flesh and blood; there was no way Minhyuk could deny that.

But she knew she had to go for a softer approach. Perhaps she had to tell him the truth about everything. But how would she do that to a five year old? How could she make him understand when she herself found herself in the most complicated position ever?

“Moonbyul Noona is Minhyuk’s mother. She’s the one who brought you into this world.”

Minhyuk was staring blankly at his mother.

“Omma is not Minhyuk’s Omma?”

The boy was probably confused. Yongsun could feel an impending headache seeding out from her brain. As she was searching for words; Wheein stepped into the room with a worried expression on her face. She saw the broken frames in the living room.

She heard Minhyuk’s question and her heart ached so badly. And she could see Yongsun’s struggle to explain things to Minhyuk but the 5 year old was even more confused than before. So she moved closer to Minhyuk and pulled the boy into her embrace.

She cuddled him as the boy rested his head on Wheein’s shoulder. She hummed to a familiar tune as she cradled him lightly in her arms. Yongsun looked on worriedly.

“Is Hyukkie angry with Yongsun Omma?”

The boy shook his head.

“Then is Hyukkie angry with Mommy Wheein?”

He shook his head again.

“If you’re not angry at us then you must be angry at Moonbyul Noona?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t like to see her photos in our house.”

“Hyukkie thinks Moonbyul Noona is the reason for Omma’s accident, huh?”

The boy pulled himself away from Wheein’s shoulder and looked at her. Wheein was smiling gently at him; that prompted the younger boy to return her smile. Then he turned to look at his mother; he stretched his arms out. Yongsun held him and pulled her son closer. She gave him a soft kiss on his forehead.

Minhyuk hugged his mother before getting down from his mother’s embrace. Yongsun put him on the floor and sat in front of him. Wheein was next to them. The boy cupped his mother’s cheeks with his two small palms.

“I saw Omma running away from her.”

The two women were stunned. Minhyuk saw everything.

-

Hwasa held Minhyuk’s hand tightly as they walked down the street; searching for his mother. He was busy chatting about his mother and his Mommy Wheein to Hwasa. The woman just smiled as she listened to the boy. She could somehow felt how much this boy was smitten with his Mommy Wheein.

“So this Mommy Wheein has been taking care of you?”

“Yeah! Whenever Omma cannot come home early, Mommy Wheein will pick Minhyuk up from school and we will have Macdonalds. Omma doesn’t really like Minhyuk to eat burger but this is Minhyuk’s secret with Mommy Wheein! Aunt Hwasa cannot tell Omma okay?”

Hwasa chuckled softly and nodded. Minhyuk even hooked his pinky finger with Hwasa’s. Hwasa swore she would want to have a child one day. Minhyuk was just so adorable. The pair continued talking as Minhyuk happily skipped down the street.

Hwasa could sense that Minhyuk probably loves his mother to death. His life revolved around that lady and Hwasa was envious of Yongsun. Yongsun. Kim Yongsun. Hwasa was still wondering if this woman is the same woman that Moonbyul loves deeply and if this boy is indeed her son.

Minhyuk has too many similarities with Moonbyul. Both looked like hamsters. Suddenly, Minhyuk pointed excitedly at a certain direction. He was pointing at the opposite direction.

“OMMA!”

Hwasa looked up immediately. She was surprised to find Moonbyul running behind Minhyuk’s mother.

“The lady at the front is Minhyuk’s Omma?”

Minhyuk nodded eagerly. He started pulling Hwasa along with him and the pair ran after the women. Minhyuk then noticed another woman behind Moonbyul.

“Mommy Wheein!”

Hwasa was stunned when she recognized the woman in question. Jung Wheein, the girl she fell in love with. But even before she could get herself together, a loud bang could be heard.

Both Minhyuk and Hwasa stood rooted to the ground. The boy watched as the truck hit his mother and she flung down the road. Hwasa was stunned and Minhyuk screamed at the top of his lungs.

“OMMA!!!!!!!!!!!”

-

Yongsun’s heart felt like as though someone just stabbed it with knife. Minhyuk was brawling and sobbing really hard against Yongsun’s chest. Wheein gently rubbed Minhyuk’s back. Now she understood why this boy insisted that Moonbyul was the cause of Yongsun’s accident. He witnessed everything.

Yongsun hated herself. She was so dumb to hurt herself and the one suffered the most was her son. Minhyuk witnessed her horrific accident and it would probably stay with him for the rest of his life. That bloodied image and horrified memory – planted deep inside Minhyuk’s mind.

She cradled the crying boy in her arms; tears fell together with his. She whispered her apologies softly in Minhyuk’s ears; filled with feathery kisses on his forehead. She tried her utmost to ease that pain Minhyuk probably felt since that night of the accident.

“I’m sorry, Minhyuk. I’m so sorry that you are forced to witness my stupidity. I’m supposed to protect you but I’m just inflicting more pain on you.”

Minhyuk couldn’t stop crying. Wheein felt worse when she saw her godson’s red and swollen eyes. She pulled both Minhyuk and his mother into her arms. Hopefully the pain would ease somehow.

-

Hwasa was breathing hard. Wheein had left her contact number with Moonbyul. She had left a memo to Hwasa to call her. So when she did, Wheein asked to meet at the park nearby her house. So Hwasa left Moonbyul at home; the woman was deep in her thoughts. She didn’t even respond to Hwasa when the latter was leaving the house.

Hwasa ran towards the park; she wasn’t late but she was feeling a little excited to meet Wheein again. She missed that woman. And when she saw Wheein, her heart skipped a beat. The pretty woman was sitting on the bench with her earphones stuck to her ears. She was closing her eyes.

There was a soft smile on her face as she hummed quietly to the song she was listening to. Hwasa stopped in her tracks as she took that moment to admire Wheein’s side profile.

That dimple on her cheek; the one that Hwasa used to poke with her finger – was still so deep. Wheein’s beautiful face was perfect and Hwasa couldn’t forget the taste of Wheein’s lips. She wanted to run her fingers through Wheein’s beautiful locks. God, she would die to touch Wheein’s skin because it burns her with passion all the time – each time Wheein touched her.

Those memories she used to share with Wheein when they were young; they came back rushing into Hwasa’s mind. No doubt they were young but Hwasa has loved Wheein sincerely. And up till now, Hwasa couldn’t love another woman but Jung Wheein.

Suddenly Wheein started singing. Hwasa was taken aback when she heard that familiar tune.

They used to sing this song together.

-

“Hyejin, come listen to this!”

Wheein stuffed one of her earpiece into Hyejin’s left ear. She has discovered a new song and she thought it was really nice. Hyejin smiled as she watched Wheein scrolling down the lyrics. She was singing along and Hyejin was falling in love again.

You look into my eyes
I go out of my mind
I can't see anything
Cos this love's got me blind
I can't help myself
I can't break the spell
I can't even try

I'm in over my head
You got under my skin
I got no strength at all
In the state that I'm in

And my knees are weak
And my mouth can't speak
Fell too far this time

Baby, I'm too lost in you
Caught in you
Lost in everything about you
So deep, I can't sleep
I can't think
I just think about the things that you do (you do)
I'm too lost in you
(Too lost in you)

ooh
Well you whispered to me
And I shiver inside
You undo me and move me
In ways undefined
And you're all I see
And you're all I need
Help me baby (help me baby)
Help me baby (help me now)

Cos I'm slipping away
Like the sand to the tide
Flowing into your arms
Falling into your eyes
If you get too near
I might disappear
I might lose my mind

Baby, I'm too lost in you
Caught in you
Lost in everything about you
So deep, I can't sleep
I can't think
I just think about the things that you do (you do)
I'm too lost in you
(Too lost in you)

I'm going crazy in love for you baby
(I can't eat and I can't sleep)
I'm going down like a stone in the sea
Yeah, no one can rescue me
(No one can rescue me)

Oooh, my baby
Oooh, baby, baby

Wheein’s voice was too melodious and it was so soothing. Hyejin closed her eyes for a brief second before Wheein peered over her face. She was taken aback when Wheein put her face so close to hers. Their eyes met and Wheein was still singing.

“Baby, I’m too lost in you; caught in you; lost in everything about you so deep; I can’t sleep; I can’t think; I just think about the things that you do; I’m too lost in you..”

Wheein then bit her lower lip. She was eyeing Hyejin’s lips. Hyejin swallowed hard as her eyes focused on Wheein.  It was so difficult to breathe and Hyejin was trying hard to control her hands. She had the strongest urge to pin the girl in front of her and devour her lips hard.

But she held back.

“What are you doing?”

She asked Wheein. But Wheein was still staring at her. She shook her head and Hyejin was left confused with Wheein’s behaviour tonight.

“Jung Wheein, what’s wrong?”

“Shh.”

Wheein put her finger on Hyejin’s lips. And then she held Hyejin down. The other girl was panicking.

“Stop moving.”

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“I think both of us want this now.”

“What?”

“I can see that lust in your eyes, Hyejin ah. And I know you want to kiss me so badly, right?”

Wheein whispered softly – that alluring voice was such a turn-on.

“But isn’t this wrong?”

“What if it is wrong? Are you going to stop me?”

“Wheein ah..”

“Just kiss me. And we will worry about the rest later.”

Wheein leaned closer and the moment their lips touched; fireworks happened inside Hyejin’s head. Her heart exploded. Jung Wheein’s lips were the sweetest.

-

“Hi?”

“Oh. You’re here.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry I was late.”

“It’s okay.”

Hwasa got out of her trance and approached Wheein cautiously. That stupid memory of Wheein’s kiss was making her uneasy and nervous. But Wheein was always smiling when she greeted Hwasa.

“Come, sit here.”

Wheein pat on the side. Hwasa took her seat next to Wheein. Both women looked up into the night sky. The moonlight shone upon them as the stars blinked brightly in the sky. The gentle breeze blew across their faces and Hwasa turned to look at Wheein.

She was still looking up with that huge smile on her face. She pulled out one of her earphones and plucked it into Hwasa’s left ear. It was dejavu for Hwasa.

Hwasa’s hands were trembling. She had to hold back because she wanted to hold Wheein’s hand.

The last thing she wanted to do – was to scare Wheein away.

“I found this player in my cupboard.”

Wheein lifted the mp3 player in her hand. Hwasa’s eyes watered immediately. It was her gift to Wheein on her 18th birthday. Her very first gift to someone dearest to her heart.

“This was probably an old model because I had a hard time to get it fixed. It was malfunctioned during the accident. Fortunately, someone could fix it. I paid a hefty price for that.”

Hwasa glanced down; she could see the dented marks on the player. It was so worn out but Wheein was still treating it like as though it was a fragile little thing.

“I was really happy when I could finally play the songs in the player. I couldn’t remember anything much but this one particular song was really familiar to heart. Perhaps I must have loved this song so much that I could remember the lyrics. I was singing to it when I heard it for the very first time after the accident.”

Then Wheein pressed play. Hwasa wanted to cry. She was playing the same song she sang earlier on – Too Lost In You.

“I love this song the most.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes because I could sense that it is special to me. It makes my heart feel at ease.”

“Does it really?”

“I just feel like I’ve sung this song to someone a lot of times.”

Wheein finally turned to look at Hwasa. She remembered those words Hwasa mumbled in her sleep but she wasn’t too sure if she should ask. Because she couldn’t remember the woman in front of her.

“This song is beautiful. It has the deepest meaning – one just falls so in love with another. And you can never get enough of that one person. Your heart needs that one person and even if time passes along; your heart wants that one person still.”

Wheein then smiled. She understood the meaning of the song. But she wanted to know more. She took Hwasa’s hand and held on tightly; the other was too shocked to move.

“If this song has such meaning and with your eyes filled with tears; it must have meant a lot for you too.”

“Huh?”

“Hwasa-shi, is there something I should know of?”

Hwasa was still maimed in shock. But Wheein wanted to know more.

“Do you know me before?”

Wheein’s question made Hwasa dumbfounded.

-

“Moonbyul?”

“Mr Kim. I’m back.”

Mr Kim smiled widely as he spread his arms wide open. Moonbyul was shocked but nevertheless moved closer to the old man. He hugged her tightly.

“You’re finally back.”

Moonbyul’s eyes started to water almost immediately.

“Are you coming back for Yongsun?”

“Yes Mr Kim.”

“Call me Abeoji. The two of you are still married as far as I’m aware of.”

“Abeoji, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry for what I put Yongsun through. I know I don’t deserve your daughter but I swear upon my life that I really love her. I was just so stupid to think that I should protect her.”

“I know. I know you were protecting her. But Yongsun suffered so much. And your son too.”

Moonbyul lowered her head in embarrassment.

“I wished I could take back the hands of time and be there for her and Minhyuk. Maybe this is my retribution. Yongsun couldn’t remember me and Minhyuk is probably hating me.”

The old man smiled as he shook his head. He gestured Moonbyul to sit and the woman sat on the sofa as he sat opposite her. Mr Kim is still the kindest man. Moonbyul looked at him as bad memories came flooding her mind.

What was she thinking of when she pointed the gun on Mr Kim’s head?

She should have known that he wasn’t that type of man. His gentleness; his kindness and his generosity – Yongsun had that from him. She should have known better.

“Don’t think about the past. It’s over now. It has become a history in our lives. I know you’re back here to seek forgiveness from me, right?”

“I don’t deserve it, Sir.”

“But you’re still here so I can see your sincerity towards Yongsun.”

“I love her, Abeoji.”

Mr Kim nodded.

“Then you don’t have to worry about me or your mother in law. We love Yongsun. And we know Yongsun loves you. Since you have decided to return, please take good care of Yongsun and Minhyuk. It is your turn to step up and take care of your family.”

“I will. I will do that. I’m dying to do that.”

“About Yongsun, you have to prove to her that you love her and she loves you too. She’s probably hurting so much that she decided to erase you from her memories.”

“I will not stop doing whatever I could to bring Yongsun back into my life. Please trust in me, Abeoji. I will not hurt her anymore. Let it be 10 years or 20 years – I will bring Yongsun back into my life.”

Moonbyul was determined.

-

 “Appa?”

“Are you back in Seoul?”

“Yes I am. Is everything alright? I’m sorry I didn’t call you. I was too caught up with things.”

“It’s okay, Yongsun. I’m just calling to tell you that Moonbyul just came by.”

“Huh?”

“She came to seek forgiveness from me and your mother.”

“She did?”

“She’s really determined to win you back. And I’m convinced that she’s really sincere towards you.”

“I know she does but it’s too late, Appa.”

Mr Kim was really concerned with Yongsun’s reply.

“What do you mean? I thought you wanted to give her a chance to prove herself?”

“Minhyuk.. he has found out about Moonbyul. He hates her, Appa. He doesn’t like her at all. All the photos in our house were destroyed by him. And he has been crying; fretting about this matter.”

“Is he alright now?”

“He’s asleep now.”

“Yongsun ah, what are you planning to do now?”

Yongsun had no idea actually. But seeing Minhyuk struggled with horrific images of the accident, Yongsun has decided to take him away from Seoul. She was probably going to find a psychiatrist to help Minhyuk.

“I’m planning to leave Seoul. I’m going to take Minhyuk away so that he can slowly forget about everything here.”

Yongsun took a different path. And she didn’t care about herself anymore.

Only Minhyuk matters most.

-