Sequel 23

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Minhyuk was spending time with his Mommy Wheein. His mother has flown with his grandfather for some business meetings in Singapore. And his grandmother was busy at some dinner function so Wheein took him home with her.

The boy was drawing on his block while Wheein prepared dinner for him. He got bored after some time and walked into the kitchen. Wheein was concentrating on her chicken soup; not realizing the boy was sitting on the kitchen table; watching her. She finally turned; startled to find her godson staring at her.

“Wae?”

She came closer towards the boy before putting her arm around the boy’s neck. She briefly hugged him which he returned with a tight hug on her arm.

“Minhyuk miss Omma.”

Wheein’s heart softened and then gently kissed the boy’s forehead. She then whipped out her phone and gave it to him.

“You want to call Omma?”

Minhyuk shook his head; Wheein was taken aback.

“I thought you miss Omma?”

“Omma will worry if Minhyuk call.”

“I think it’s fine for you to call her if you miss her.”

“But Minhyuk is a big boy.”

Wheein laughed. Boys will be boys. Acting tough when they are more vulnerable and fragile especially little boys like Minhyuk. Nevertheless, Wheein swiped her fingers on her phone screen and a call was linked. She was calling Yongsun. It was not long when Yongsun answered.

“Hey, Wheein.”

“Unnie, somebody misses you.”

“Hmm? Who?”

Minhyuk pouted his lips and glared at his godma but eventually teared up when he heard his mother’s voice.

“Minhyuk?”

“Omma..”

He started crying and Yongsun was startled.

“Why? What’s wrong? Are you okay, baby?”

“Minhyuk miss Omma~”

“Aww, Omma misses you too.”

He took the phone from Wheein and went into the living room. Wheein chuckled softly before she turned back to her chicken soup. She was minding her own business, leaving Minhyuk alone with his mother.

A while later, Minhyuk returned the phone to Wheein; his eyes were red. He must have cried so much. Wheein hugged him.

“What did Omma say?”

“Omma is coming home soon.”

“And why are you crying?”

“Minhyuk want to sleep with Omma.”

“Can Mommy do that tonight instead?”

“Of course, you have to. Minhyuk scared to sleep alone.”

“The zombies are fake, Minhyuk ah.”

“Don’t care! Zombies are scary.”

Wheein laughed; leaving Minhyuk bewildered. They had dinner and settled down in the living room. Minhyuk was comfortable with Wheein. He could lay on her; like he used to when he was a baby. He was lying on his god mother’s tummy comfortably.

“Mommy Wheein miss Omma too?”

He suddenly spoke up as Wheein gently swept his hair back. She hummed in agreement.

“Did you call Omma when you miss her?”

“Not really.”

“You don’t love Omma anymore?”

“I love her. But not like what you have in mind.”

“Omma still loves Moonbyul Noona?”

Wheein sighed. Honestly, she couldn’t really read Yongsun’s mind this time. Yongsun kept avoiding this issue each time Wheein raised it up.

“I have no idea, Minhyuk ah. Your mothers are just complicated sometimes.”

“Then Hwasa Noona?”

“Equally complicated. Mommy Wheein feels tired when I think of them. Can I just stay with Minhyuk and be Minhyuk’s Mommy forever?”

“Can! Minhyuk like that!”

“Then it’s a deal. Mommy Wheein will just stay with Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk turned over and faced Wheein. Wheein found herself staring back at mini Moonbyul; his bunny teeth were just too cute to resist. He hugged her tightly which Wheein embraced him fondly in her arms.

“Mommy, a lot of Minhyuk friends said Mommy is so pretty.”

“They do?”

“Yeah! Minhyuk told them Mommy Wheein is Minhyuk’s. If only Minhyuk is older.”

“Why? What’s going to happen if you’re older?”

“Minhyuk will marry you!”

“You’re such a cheeky boy.”

Wheein enjoyed her night with Minhyuk. She has grown very fond of the boy and Wheein would do anything to protect this little guy. Even if she was going to find nobody in the end, Wheein wouldn’t feel lonely after all.

“Mommy Wheein, Minhyuk promise. When Minhyuk is older, Minhyuk will look after you. Minhyuk promise.”

He was only 5 when he made that promise. But to Wheein, it was comforting enough. At least she has Minhyuk.

-

Next morning, Wheein dropped him off at his school. Then she called Moonbyul. She was supposed to pick up Minhyuk from school today, but she has an urgent meeting with her client later. So, she had to seek Moonbyul’s help.

“Yeah, Wheein ah?”

“Can you help me to pick Minhyuk up from school today?”

“Sure, I will do that.”

“I’ll be late today so maybe you can bring back to my house. I will drop by and probably crash there for tonight.”

“Don’t worry, I will look after Minhyuk today.”

“Thanks~”

She was glad that Moonbyul didn’t distance herself away after what happened. Wheein was worried that Moonbyul might give up because Yongsun was avoiding her like plague. It was tormenting and hurtful but Moonbyul understood why Yongsun did what she did.

“Unnie, Yongsun unnie is not in Seoul. She’s following Mr Kim for his business meetings.”

“Okay, thanks for letting me know.”

“You know why she’s doing this?”

“I roughly know. She sent me a text.”

“I’m sorry, Unnie.”

“No, it’s not your fault, Wheein ah. It’s mine. Everything was caused by me. I made things worse and now, I cannot turn back so easily. I thought I could, but I guess, I was a fool to believe that I could; that I could undo the pain in Yongsun’s heart.”

“I’m unsure why she suddenly changed like this.”

“She’s a human being, Wheein ah. Pain will change people. The past must have tormented her so much that she was not willing to put her heart through the same kind of pain yet again.”

Wheein smiled sympathetically. Moonbyul nodded before looking away. Minhyuk was around the corner; playing with some kids he befriended at the park. They were running around like crazy monkeys and Minhyuk was laughing heartily. Moonbyul smiled widely.

“At least, Yongsun allows me to get closer with Minhyuk.”

“Minhyuk is your son, Unnie. He’s also your responsibility.”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m not asking for too much. I’m not going to put Yongsun through such difficult or awkward moments anymore. I must have tried too hard that I have forgotten the pain she had to go through when I denied her of everything.”

“Give her some time. She will come around.”

“If she chooses you?”

“No, Unnie. She will never choose me.”

“But I feel that the two of you make a better pair. Minhyuk prefers you.”

“Yet, he requested me to bring him to you.”

“I can never make it up to him, Wheein. I have done more harm to his mother.”

“But that is all in the past now. Unnie, you must not let the past push you away from Yongsun unnie. Her heart is hurting; bruised but that doesn’t mean she cannot be healed. Things were just going too fast and you must remember, what you put her through for the past 5 years cannot be undone in just few weeks or even months.”

“I know. I know that, Wheein. But I miss her so much! And sometimes I wonder how she did it. How she endured so much from me and moved on with her life; loving me; waiting for me but all I did was to push her away; cruelly throwing her away from my life because I thought I didn’t deserve her! I hate myself. I really hate myself. But I cannot turn back time; I cannot undo the past. And I’m so helpless now.”

“Because she loves you too much. That’s the reason why she endured for so long.”

“I’m not doubting her, Wheein.”

“I know but you must endure this. I know you miss her; I know you love her. But things are like this now. You cannot force it. You cannot push it through and hope for the best.”

“I understand. I’m giving her time now. I’ll not approach her until she’s ready to do it herself.”

-

Hyejin decided to pay Wheein a visit at her office. She packed some lunch and went over. She texted Wheein and the woman agreed to meet her for lunch. So, when she was at Wheein’s office, her secretary briskly brought her to Wheein’s office.

“Hey, Hyejin ah. Come in.”

Wheein looked so good with her black specs; her black power skirt and her tight-fitting blouse that got Hyejin staring at Wheein for the longest time. Gosh, this woman.

“Why are you staring at me?”

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you and stop flattering me like that. Take a seat; give me 10 minutes. I need to read through this file.”

“Sure, go ahead. I won’t disturb you.”

Hyejin sat at the red sofa. She was facing Wheein who was totally engrossed in her work. Hyejin remembered Wheein as someone who was often carefree, and she loves wearing baggy jeans and big loose t-shirts. She looked almost like a tomboy back then but now, Wheein is a lawyer and looking much ier in office wear than anything else.

“Stop staring at me.”

“Oops, sorry. I cannot help it.”

Wheein smirked before she pulled out her specs. She got up and walked over to where Hyejin was. She sat next to Hyejin; mouth watering as she stared at the food in front of her.

“Did you pack these for me?”

“I thought we can eat together.”

“Oh, that’s nice of you.”

“You’re done with your work?”

“Yeah, I can continue later. I’m just preparing my argument for tomorrow’s court case.”

“You’re so remarkable.”

“Why? Because of this blouse?”

“No, you look powerful. I’m pretty sure you demand a lot of attention in court.”

“You can watch me if you want to.”

“I can?”

“Yeah, you can. Some people sit in the court to listen. You can be one of those people.”

“Will you get distracted if I’m there?”

“I can be indifferent, and I might ignore your presence.”

“Wow, I must witness this Wheein myself.”

“Sure, I’ll let you know when my hearing is. You can sit in.”

Hyejin smiled and then nodded. Wheein was already tucking in; grabbing the chopsticks and enjoying her lunch. She was impressed; Hyejin’s a good cook.

“Wow, it has been a long time since I had home-cooked food.”

“Really? I can cook for you every day.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, just as long as I can spend time with you like this.”

Wheein smiled and then nodded. Things between them seem slow but Hyejin was not going to push too much on it. The fact that she could sit next to Wheein; watching the woman enjoying eating her food; that was good enough for Hyejin.

And Wheein invited Hyejin to watch her in court. Wheein was slowly letting Hyejin easing her way into her life.

“Hyejin ah, you don’t mind if this going to take a long time?”

“What is?”

“Us. Whatever we supposed to have; whatever this relationship is, do you mind if I take a longer time to come around?”

“No, I don’t mind. You went through so much; losing your heart; enduring the pain despite not knowing your past; yet you come a long way to be who you are right now. You must have gone through so much hardships.”

“You didn’t know too. So, it’s fine with me. But I still have bits and pieces of Yongsun in my heart and I still love her. I can’t do this to you; it’s unfair to you. Until Yongsun unnie is free from her pain, I’ll stay by her side for as long she needs me.”

Hyejin understood. She understood it well.

“Take as much time as you need, I’ll never leave this time.”

-

Moonbyul took Minhyuk home from school. The boy knew his Noona was picking him up; Wheein informed him beforehand.

“So, what do you want to do?”

The two of them were in the living room.

“I’m hungry.”

“Do you want me to call in?”

“Can you cook for me?”

“Me? Cook? I’m hopeless.”

Minhyuk laughed and then shook his head. But he remembered cooking egg rolls with his Yongsun Omma. He decided to do it with Moonbyul.

“Noona, can we make egg rolls?”

“You know how to?”

“Omma teach Minhyuk before.”

“Omma taught you to cook?!”

“No, Omma do it with Minhyuk.”

“Oh, do you remember how to make it?”

“Minhyuk remembers. But you are going to do it.”

“Okay, call. Let’s go buy the ingredients.”

They made a quick visit at the nearby supermarket. Moonbyul had never done this before; the last time she went for grocery shopping was with Yongsun. But she had so much fun with Minhyuk.

She picked up too many items that Minhyuk had to reprimand her and put back some of them.

“Noona! What is this?”

“We need sausages.”

“Noona wants to feed the whole school?”

“Why? Too many?”

“You took 20 packets of sausages.”

“How many does Omma usually take?”

“2?”

“Oh.”

“Put them back.”

It was just too comical to watch Moonbyul listening to her son; getting scolded by him for taking too many things in their trolley.

“You sure we don’t need this?”

“Mommy Wheein has a cupboard full of ramen. We can take from there.”

“Oh, that’s right. Geez, I’m hopeless in a lot of things.”

“Don’t worry, Minhyuk is here.”

Moonbyul’s lips curled into a smile. Yes, her son was with her. In fact, she spent the whole afternoon with her boy. She was grateful towards Yongsun.

“Okay, let’s pay then we can head home. Minhyuk is hungry!”

“How about we buy some kimbap along the way? And some snacks. You can eat while we make egg rolls.”

“Good idea, Omma!”

Moonbyul was stunned; that was the first time Minhyuk calls her Omma. But the boy didn’t realize. He was already running towards the snacks section in the supermarket. Moonbyul touched her chest with her right palm.

Her heart felt warm.

“So that’s how it feels to have your son to call you Omma.”

She whispered to herself.

“It feels good. It feels really good.”

Moonbyul’s eyes watered.

-

Back at home, Moonbyul started making egg rolls with her son. She was clumsy and almost hopeless but Moonbyul didn’t care. Her son was what mattered to her at that moment.

“Okay, let’s crack the eggs open.”

“Why don’t Minhyuk do it?”

“Minhyuk will make a mess!”

“It’s okay, Noona will clean up after you.”

The boy’s eyes sparkled. Yongsun will never allow him to do it. She let him sit in the kitchen and watch her but never allow him to get involve. But Moonbyul was the opposite. She let her son does whatever he wants to.

Of course, the kitchen was in a disaster. It was so messy that the moment Hyejin got home; she told herself not to get involve with mother and son in the kitchen. She hid in her room.

And Moonbyul didn’t care much about the mess. She watched as Minhyuk laughed; giggled and was genuinely happy with whatever he was doing. She shared those moments with Minhyuk and Moonbyul knew she would treasure these memories forever.

After much difficulties, the pair managed to make egg rolls. They didn’t look as fantastic as how Yongsun would make them but at least, it was edible. Moonbyul cooked some ramen and served it with kimbap that she bought from the supermarket.

Their lunch was simple yet Moonbyul felt fulfilled. Watching Minhyuk enjoying his lunch; Moonbyul count her blessings once again.

“Noona not eating?”

“Eating. But Noona loves to watch Minhyuk eating so well.”

“We did this together, Noona and Minhyuk. Of course, Minhyuk enjoy this!”

Moonbyul smiled and reached out for Minhyuk’s hair. She gently swept her son’s hair backwards while Minhyuk gave her a wide smile. Then she realized how perfect this moment was for her.

Even if she couldn’t get through Yongsun’s heart, at least Minhyuk accepted her. Well, she wasn’t too sure yet.

“Minhyuk ah, do you still hate me?”

She asked out of the blue.

“No, Minhyuk never hate you.”

“Can Minhyuk forgive me for what I did to you and your mother?”

“Minhyuk forgive Noona long time ago.”

“Then can you do me a favour?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you call me Omma one day?”

Minhyuk stopped eating and put his chopsticks down. He looked at Moonbyul carefully; before letting out a soft gentle smile on his face. Moonbyul was staring at her mini self. She was still amazed at how much Minhyuk looks like her.

“Minhyuk will. Once Omma forgives Noona.”

Moonbyul smiled with tears rolling down her cheeks. Of course, Yongsun is Minhyuk’s main priority. His mother’s happiness means a lot to Minhyuk.

“You’re such a great son to your Omma.”

Minhyuk’s simple answer made Moonbyul’s heart broken.

“Omma cried for too long and too much. Minhyuk only wants to see Omma’s smile.”

-

Yongsun was busy with the meetings. Her father introduced her to all his business partners. They were impressed with Yongsun and the woman got plenty of business proposals. She learnt fast and her father was proud of her.

“You’re so good. Why didn’t I realize this?”

“I was stupid not learning the ropes earlier. I was too mobbed with my own life.”

“Yongsun ah, you grew up well. You ploughed through adversities and made you stronger than you were before.”

“I wanted to do better, Appa.”

“You did well, my daughter. You’re successful now.”

Yongsun nodded as she slipped her hand into her father’s palm. She then clenched them tightly; his hand was rough and Yongsun burrowed her eyebrows together. He has grown old.

“Your hands are rough, Appa.”

“Of course, I’m growing older.”

“I should have taken care of you. Instead, I made you worry for me and Minhyuk.”

“Yongsun ah, I have never thought of you as a burden. I admire you.”

“Huh? Why?”

“5 years. 5 years and you still love Moonbyul; waited for her to return home to you.”

“5 years and it went down the drain. Moonbyul never wanted me.”

“You know that’s a lie. And you’re just saying this because you’re broken.”

“I am. She broke me.”

“But why after 5 years?”

“Because I was stupid enough to wait?”

“Yongsun, you’re denying your own feelings because you feel Moonbyul deserves lesser than this.”

“Yes, I feel that she doesn’t deserve better than me.”

Mr Kim was taken aback at how much her youngest daughter has changed. What made her changed? Did something happen?

“You’re being resentful.”

“Don’t I deserve that at least?”

“How long do you wish to drag this?”

“I’m not dragging. I’m taking my time to heal. I don’t want to force this wounded heart to get over it and forgive Moonbyul so easily. I deserve better than to accept whatever Moonbyul has laid for me this time. If she loves me, she will wait even if it’s going to take forever.”

“Then Minhyuk? What’s going to happen to the boy?”

“What’s wrong with Minhyuk?”

“Doesn’t Minhyuk deserve a proper family this time?”

Yongsun paused for a second; she only thought of herself but not her son.

“Doesn’t Minhyuk deserve a chance to speak his mind as well? He has gone through so much too. He’s probably the most confused among the all of you yet, he’s forced to accept the truth about his background. Have you ever asked Minhyuk what he wants from you and Moonbyul?”

Yongsun looked away. Her father hit the nail in her heart. Her son. Her precious son. She never knew how her son felt about everything. Just because he’s too young to understand.

“Minhyuk is smarter than his peers. He’s matured and he’s able to understand things because he was born in a complicated environment. This is not about you and Moonbyul anymore. The two of you have a son together. This is about him too.”

-

Mr Kim’s words resounded in Yongsun’s mind. She was too heartbroken and hurt in the worst ways ever but Minhyuk was innocent. And he was probably hurting more than she ever did.

She was perplexed. And she was selfish.

But she was apologetic to Minhyuk. In her mind, Minhyuk is her world. She wants the best for her son; she wants Minhyuk to be happy in whatever he does.

Yet she wants her heart to stop hurting. She wants her mind to embrace Moonbyul.

But how can she? When each time she looks at Moonbyul, the pain haunts her.

-

Wheein got home after a long day at work. Minhyuk was fast asleep and he was sleeping next to Moonbyul. She managed to peek into Moonbyul’s room.

“Minhyuk was playing the whole evening and then fell asleep on the sofa. I asked Moonbyul to bring him to her room. You don’t mind, right?”

Hyejin appeared behind Wheein. Wheein smiled and then shook her head.

“Let him sleep with her. He’s fine with anyone.”

“It must be tiring for you to juggle baby-sitting duties and your job.”

“I have done that for the last 5 years. And still not complaining.”

“That’s how much you adore the mother and the child.”

“It’s my duty too. I’m her lawyer.”

“Fair enough. Have you eaten? Minhyuk and Moonbyul made egg rolls. They made too much.”

Hyejin rolled her eyes. She could remember the disaster state of Wheein’s kitchen. She helped them to clear up.

“Wow, and I thought I would have to cook ramen.”

“I will cook for you and heat up the leftovers. We can eat together. Get shower.”

“Wait, where are you sleeping tonight?”

“I’ll sleep in the living room.”

Wheein frowned. The living room is like a refrigerator in the middle of the night.

“You can sleep with me in the room.”

“Huh?”

“The bed is enough for the two of us. I don’t mind. Do you?”

“No, not really.”

“Great. I’ll prepare our sleeping arrangement. You can heat up the food for me.”

Wheein smiled and disappeared back into her room. Hyejin was still standing there like a fool. Sleeping next to Wheein on the bed wasn’t really a bad idea but Hyejin’s heart was pumping too fast now.

“Why are you so excited?! We’re not going to do anything stupid! Now, behave!”

Hyejin chided her own heart.

-

They had supper and then went to bed. Wheein was exhausted after spending the whole day; preparing for her case. Hyejin was sitting at the edge of the bed.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m waiting for you to pick your side.”

“I usually sleep on the left and you, on the right. Didn’t we used to have our own sides?”

“You still remember?”

“I guess so. Vaguely.”

Wheein settled on her side while Hyejin crawled to the right corner of the bed. Wheein quickly went under the blanket while Hyejin was being careful. After a while, both managed to lie comfortably next to each other.

Hyejin was staring at the ceiling; her heart was jumping nuts. She could die if her heart didn’t stop. And to make it worse, Wheein could hear it.

“You must be feeling restless with me next to you.”

“You can hear my heart beating?”

“Pretty much. Are you okay? If not, I can sleep on the floor.”

“No! It’s fine! You can sleep here.”

“Are you sure? You won’t die tomorrow right?”

“Shut up. It wont reach to that extend.”

Wheein grinned before pulling her bolster closer to her. She leaned to her side; facing Hyejin. She studied Hyejin’s side profile and was admiring her beauty.

“Wow, your side profile is really pretty.”

“You’re not allowed to make fun of me like this.”

“I’m not. I’m really admiring your beauty.”

“Just get some sleep.”

Wheein smiled but she couldn’t get to sleep either. Hyejin was attractive. And Wheein couldn’t deny how warm Hyejin was next to her. Wheein has always been sleeping on her own; only occasionally when Yongsun slept next to her; but most of the time, she was alone.

Being alone on the bed was lonely and cold. And with Hyejin in bed with her; Wheein thought she would feel uncomfortable but nope, not this time.

“You’re so warm.”

Wheein mumbled softly. Hyejin finally turned to look at Wheein. Their eyes met; they kept quiet and time stood still. They were just staring at each other; Hyejin felt her heart beating faster than it should. And Wheein felt familiar; her heart was beating hard too.

“Can you hug me to sleep, Hyejin ah?”

Without answering Wheein, Hyejin reeled closer and pulled Wheein into her embrace. Hyejin hugged her tightly and Wheein nestled her face into Hyejin’s neck.

“This felt familiar. It’s so comfortable.”

“Just get some sleep, Wheein ah. I’ll hold you like this. You always sleep better when I hug you.”

“Really? You’ll still hug me in the morning?”

“I promise you. This time around, I’m not leaving you anymore.”

This time, Hyejin was not going to break her promises anymore.

-

Moonbyul woke up in the middle of the night when she felt Minhyuk shifted in his sleep. She adjusted her position and pulled the boy closer when she realized he was dangerously at the edge of her bed.

She was spooning him and Minhyuk embraced her arm as his pillow. Moonbyul smiled when she heard her son’s soft snores filling up the silence. She watched him sleep; she chuckled to herself.

“You sleep like your Omma.”

Moonbyul was playing with Minhyuk earlier on. The boy had so much fun; laughing and Moonbyul could not stop smiling because of these precious moments she had with her son.

And Minhyuk fell asleep easily. He was exhausted after hours of playing and the moment his head hit the cushion, he was gone.

“You sleep so easily just like your Omma. You may not be her flesh and blood but there are times I realize you’re a lot like her.”

She kissed her son’s forehead and cuddled him closer. She studied him carefully; her heart ached when she thought of her son’s yesteryears.

“You grow up so well. I saw your baby photo and you were so tiny. I heard that your mother almost lost you because she was stressed out by me. You were a premature baby and when you came into the world; you were too small and too fragile to go home.”

Moonbyul choked up; tears fell freely from the corner of her eyes. She couldn’t imagine the kind of pain Yongsun had to go through and how the past had tormented Yongsun greatly.

“I realized. I did cause so much pain for you. For your Omma and even your Mommy Wheein. I shouldn’t have invaded into your life but Minhyuk ah, I can’t walk away now. I’m selfish, Minhyuk ah. I’m really selfish because I love your Omma so much.”

Moonbyul cried softly.

“Sometimes I feel like I should leave. But sometimes I just refuse because I cannot give you or your Omma up. Forgive me, Minhyuk.”

Moonbyul felt the worse.

“I can’t walk away now.”

-