Sequel 3

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Moonbyul was doing her rounds delivering lunch boxes to nearby offices. This time, she was riding the bike. She was always friendly and her regular customers adored her. Sometimes Moonbyul would get extra tips from her customers.

Hwasa put her in charge of deliveries since Moonbyul preferred moving around rather than staying in one place. Sometimes it would take her 10-14 rounds and the woman would still do her job diligently. As usual, Moonbyul returned to the restaurant for another new round of deliveries.

Hwasa was waiting for her at the kitchen; putting out the lunch boxes accordingly. Moonbyul was sweating like mad and Hwasa threw her towel at her.

“You look horrible.”

Moonbyul stuck her tongue out but nevertheless wiped her perspiration away. She pulled out her helmet and grabbed the invoices from the counter. She was reading through them so she could carefully gauge which area should she deliver first.

She saw one of the invoices but the address was to a hotel room. She looked up; confused.

“Hotel?”

“Yeah, someone made orders just now. Apparently the person wanted tteukbokki and cheese kimbap.”

“Okay. So how do I contact this person?”

“She said she has left instructions to the hotel lobby to allow you to meet her directly at the room.”

“Ah, okay. So I just quote the room number to the receptionist?”

Hwasa nodded and Moonbyul grabbed the lunch boxes. She carefully placed them in her carrier bag. Suddenly Hwasa held her back. She popped a piece of dumpling into Moonbyul’s mouth before reminding her to eat.

“When you’re back later, grab your lunch. This is the last round.”

“Yes Boss.”

Moonbyul left immediately. She was always prompt during deliveries which made her really popular among her customers. She decided to head to the hotel first. She went with a happy smile.

-

Wheein was busy reading through her file on the bed while Yongsun was lying down on Minhyuk’s bed. The boy was still sleeping. Yongsun was staring at her son’s face; tracing her finger on Minhyuk’s face. Then she leaned closer and gave soft tender kisses on the boy. Still, the boy slept through like a log. She giggled and that caught Wheein’s attention. The younger woman looked up.

Yongsun was teasing her poor baby. It was almost noon but her son was still sleepy. Wheein looked on; with a smile on her face. She felt contented just watching the mother and son bonding together.

“Ummaa…”

Minhyuk finally whined after he realized his mother was adamant to wake him up.

“Wakey, my little prince. It’s almost lunch time.”

“I’m still sleepy.”

“What time did you sleep last night?”

The boy pouted instead of replying. He knew he would get into trouble if his mom knew he didn’t sleep because he was busy playing games. But of course, Yongsun was aware.

“Didn’t I tell you that you can only play games for an hour?”

“Mommy Wheein was busy with her work. I stayed up to accompany her.”

Minhyuk turned to look at Wheein with that cutesy eyes. Yongsun looked up as well. Wheein gave them a blank look. She knew Minhyuk was asking her to help him.

“Yeah, he did.”

“You didn’t sleep either.”

Yongsun suddenly focused her attention on Wheein. Minhyuk grinned before burying his face in Yongsun’s chest. Wheein rolled her eyes. The boy betrayed her.

“I was preparing for my meeting and I didn’t want to wake you up. So I sat on the floor; doing my work. Minhyuk was next to me.”

“I know because the bed felt empty.”

Wheein bit her lower lip. Well the truth was, Wheein couldn’t sleep next to Yongsun. She was certain if she did; she might do something stupid. And Yongsun wasn’t stupid either. She knew Wheein was uncomfortable with the arrangement. The older woman finally got up and pulled her son with her. She carried her son to the bathroom and got him to wash up.

“Bathe quickly.”

“Yes Umma.”

She joined Wheein on the bed and sat next to her. Wheein was so focused on her work. She then gently tapped on the younger woman’s hand.

“Wae?”

“I’ll take Minhyuk out so that you can do your work properly.”

“Oh? It’s okay. I’m almost done.”

“I need to get Minhyuk new school shoes anyway. You’re having a conference call at 1pm right?”

Wheein nodded. So Yongsun was preparing to leave and Minhyuk was done with his shower. She got her son to get prepared while she grabbed her phone. She went online to find the nearest restaurant so that she could order lunch for Wheein.  She knew Wheein would not eat if she got really busy.

She found the nearest restaurant and realized the place sells her favourite food. She ordered the food and paid via her card. Wheein was still too preoccupied with her work.

“Wheein ah.”

Wheein looked up.

“I ordered you some food.”

“Oh?”

“It will be here soon. So you better eat your lunch.”

“Aren’t we going to eat together?”

“We can have dinner together. I will just eat lunch with Minhyuk later.”

Wheein stood up and walked over to Yongsun. She took out her credit card and gave it to Yongsun. The older woman was confused.

“I was supposed to bring you out for shopping but I got busy with work instead. So just spend on my credit card.”

“It’s okay, Wheein ah.”

“Unnie, just use it. It’s the company’s card anyway.”

Wheein stuck her tongue out and slipped the credit card into Yongsun’s pocket. She then knelt down in front of Minhyuk. She ruffled the boy’s hair.

“If you want anything, ask Umma to buy for you.”

“Okay!”

“YA, stop pampering him, Wheein ah.”

Wheein shook her head and patted on Yongsun’s hair. That action sent a shock through Yongsun’s heart. Moonbyul did that to her before.

“Kim Yongsun, don’t worry so much. I told you before. I’ll take good care of you and Minhyuk. Just have fun, I’ll see you later.”

Yongsun’s heart was pumping rapidly. Wheein’s smile sent an electrifying shock through her spine.

-

Moonbyul reached the hotel within 10 minutes. She checked her invoice and then the hotel’s name. This was the right place so she grabbed the lunch boxes and headed to the lobby. She was still wearing her helmet. She quickly informed the receptionist.

“Ah, yes. You can send the food up to the room. I’ll get one of my colleagues to follow you.”

Moonbyul nodded and followed the bellboy up to the customer’s hotel room. They waited for the lift to open. As she was checking the invoice; the lift door opened. Yongsun was in the lift with Minhyuk but Moonbyul was too busy with the invoice.

Yongsun on the other hand was putting her attention on Minhyuk. The boy was struggling with his slippers. They almost slipped off so Yongsun bent down to help her son. As she went on her knees, Moonbyul finally looked up. But she didn’t notice the woman next to her.

And as the lift door started to close, Yongsun looked over her shoulder and looked inside the lift. Unfortunately, Moonbyul turned away and Yongsun couldn’t recognize the woman behind the helmet. By the time Moonbyul turned to face the front; the door closed and the two women just missed each other in that split second.

Fate was just so cruel towards them.

-

Wheein felt funny. She was not feeling well and she hid it from Yongsun. Her stomach wasn’t feeling good since last night. She must have eaten something not right yesterday. So she rushed to the bathroom and did her business. While at it, her doorbell rang.

“Sheesh.”

She couldn’t get to the door so she grabbed the phone from the reception. She informed the receptionist to leave the food at the lobby. She would pick it up later.

“Gosh. The stomach is being an idiot today. Luckily Unnie is not around.”

Her face was reddened as the pain ensued. Meanwhile Moonbyul was let back down to the lobby. The receptionist had contacted the bell boy after she received Wheein’s instructions.

“You can leave the food with us. The guest is having some serious stomach problem and she was unable to open the door.”

“Oh, then it’s okay. I will leave it here with you since it has been paid. Thank you so much.”

Moonbyul left the food package and left immediately. She was in the rush to deliver the others. And as soon as she left the lobby, Wheein arrived at the reception. The receptionist gave the food package and Wheein thanked her for the assistance.

She grabbed the food package and the receipt. She was on the way up to the room and she took a glance at the receipt. She was stunned and ran back to the receptionist. Her actions shocked the receptionist but nevertheless the lady kept calm.

“I’m sorry. Is it a lady who delivered this?”

“I believe the delivery person is a girl.”

“Can you remember how she looks like?”

“I’m sorry, Maam. She was wearing a helmet so I’m unable to see her face properly.”

“Oh. Did she just left?”

“Yes, but I’m not sure if you could catch up with the person.”

“Thanks!”

Wheein ran to the entrance and stood at the doorway. She frantically searched for any delivery van or biker. And as she happened to turn, the delivery van Moonbyul was driving; went past her. Wheein tried to catch a glimpse of the driver but she was too late.

She saw the restaurant name on the van and she pulled out her phone from the back pocket. It was the same name as what the private investigator provided.

Moon Byulyi, I got you now!

-

Yongsun was busy shopping with her son. She wanted to get a new pair of school shoes for Minhyuk. The boy was just too excited. He gently tugged his mother’s hand and both mother and son were just having the best of their time.

They walked from one shop to another shop and Minhyuk suggested to get something for Wheein.

“Hm?”

“Can I get Mommy Wheein something?”

“What do you want to get for her?”

Minhyuk looked around the departmental store and saw rows of shops selling cashmere shawls. He ran towards them; leaving Yongsun coming after him. He was browsing through the shawls. He seemed confused. He gave his mother a cute pout. Yongsun was amused.

“Wae?”

“Why are there so many to choose from?”

“Because women love to choose.”

“It’s so tiring.”

Yongsun grinned as she gently brushed her fingers against some of them. Then she pulled out.

“How about this?”

“Pink?”

“Yeah, I think women generally love pink.”

“Umma loves pink too?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“I just follow Umma’s choice. I think Mommy Wheein will just love anything Umma gets her.”

Minhyuk smiled widely before running towards the counter. Yongsun watched as her son gave it to the cashier; then looked at her expectantly. Her heart was aching as she knew Minhyuk had already considered Wheein as his second Mommy.

Minhyuk grew up with Wheein. It was a little unusual to be raised by two women especially in Seoul. She was informed by Minhyuk’s kindergarten teacher about Minhyuk and his friends.

“Minhyuk is left alone most of the time. The kids made fun of him for having two mothers. But Minhyuk doesn’t seem to be bothered about it.”

Yongsun’s heart fell when she heard that. She knew raising a child in a homophobic country was just so difficult to handle. But she never expected her son to look at it in a positive light.

“Minhyuk told me before that his Mommy Wheein had told him not to let such things pull him down. He said he has spoken to Miss Jung before and Miss Jung had encouraged him to be assertive.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know Minhyuk is having a difficult time at school.”

Teacher Han smiled but shook her head. She understood how difficult Yongsun as a mother trying to survive with a child. She was aware of Minhyuk’s real identity and who his blood mother was.

“I don’t think I have the right to tell you anything but I hope Minhyuk can continue to grow up in such wonderful care of you and Miss Jung. He’s positive because of Miss Jung. She has been a great influence for Minhyuk.”

“But Miss Jung is not his real mother.”

“I’m aware of that. Most mothers here are still fine with Minhyuk hanging out with their children. I have explained to them about Minhyuk but of course some were just too rationale.”

“I understand, Teacher Han. Thank you so much for helping Minhyuk to blend with his classmates.”

“I think you should thank Miss Jung. She has been Minhyuk’s pillar of strength. I hope you will find happiness with Miss Jung and Minhyuk.”

Ever since that conversation with Minhyuk’s teacher, Yongsun has second thoughts about her life; her relationship. No doubt her heart still wants Moonbyul but Wheein has been there more than Moonbyul ever did.

So over the months that have gone by; Yongsun kept an open mind and started to look at Wheein differently. Her heart fluttered sometimes and she would have butterflies in her stomach whenever Wheein was nearby.

Jung Wheein is confident and absolutely beautiful. There were many times they would hang out a bar while Minhyuk stayed the night at his grandparents’ place. Many women had their eyes on Jung Wheein but the woman only had eyes for Yongsun.

Jung Wheein gave her 100% utmost attention and her eyes had never roamed around the bar. They would only look at Yongsun. Her heart shifted sometimes. And sometimes when some women approached the younger girl; Yongsun felt funny inside.

She would always quietly hope that Wheein wouldn’t leave her alone. And she was never alone. Jung Wheein would decline the other women politely before putting her arm around Yongsun. Her heart shook. And she felt at ease.

Since that night, Yongsun decided to go with the flow. If her destiny turned out to be Wheein; she would let Moonbyul go.  She had enough of Moonbyul’s cold shoulder towards her.

“Umma, let’s go home! I miss Mommy Wheein!”

She put her hand out and Minhyuk grabbed immediately. The pair walked home happily with Wheein’s gift safely in Minhyuk’s grasp.

Minhyuk missed Mommy Wheein. So was Kim Yongsun.

-

Wheein was restless. She kept staring at the receipt in her hand. She was certain Moonbyul worked at the place. The name of the restaurant and address were exactly the same as what Wheein received.  She was brainstorming as to how she should confront Moonbyul.

As she was in deep thoughts, Yongsun and Minhyuk arrived at their hotel room. She spun her head around and Minhyuk pounced on her. The poor woman almost fell but managed to grab the boy.

“YA~ What did I say about pouncing on me?!”

Minhyuk grinned cheekily before he placed the gift in her hands. Wheein looked in and then gave a confused smile.

“What is this?”

“This is a gift for you. From me and Umma!”

Wheein looked at Yongsun. The woman shrugged her shoulders before comfortably sat on the sofa. Wheein watched as Yongsun pulled out the things she bought from the paper bags. Minhyuk excitedly took out his prized toy – Gundam.

“Mommy Wheein, look!”

“Wow, did you get that for yourself?”

“Yeah! And we didn’t use your card at all.”

“Wae?”

“You can buy us dinner instead.”

Minhyuk slipped Wheein’s credit card into her wallet before settling on the bed with his Gundam. Yongsun noticed some lunch boxes on the dining table. She frowned.

“You didn’t eat anything?”

Wheein shook her head as she caressed her stomach gently. Yongsun finally realized how pale Wheein was. She worriedly walked over and touched Wheein’s forehead. The woman’s forehead was burning.

“Are you not feeling well?”

“I had some runs in the toilet for a couple of times earlier on. I don’t dare to eat anything now.”

“Then did you drink something to fill up your stomach?”

“Some hot tea.”

Yongsun was getting worried. Wheein wasn’t feeling well and she didn’t even realize it. She gently put her arm around Wheein; the younger woman was taken aback.

“Come, I’ll tuck you in bed.”

“Huh? I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not. Your face is extremely pale now. Why didn’t you inform me about you being sick?”

Yongsun started nagging and Wheein knew she was in deep trouble. She tucked the woman in bed and rushed to the bathroom. She grabbed a face towel and let it run under the cold water. Wheein watched her as Yongsun moved around the hotel room swiftly. She was stunned when Yongsun pulled out a safety aid box.

“Do you bring that along with you all the time?”

“I have a 5 year old son who is clumsy and prone to accidents. I’m just meticulous.”

Yongsun explained as she pulled out the lock. Stacks of band aids; medical solutions; bandages and some pills neatly arranged. She pulled out a pill tab and passed it to Wheein. She asked Minhyuk for a cup of water and the boy obliged.

“Pop this into your mouth.”

“What’s this?”

“Painkillers to stop the pain. It’s gentle to the stomach. I’m going to ask the staff to re-heat the food.”

Wheein felt warmth seeding from the bottom of her heart. Yongsun was taking care of her; and it felt good. But she has an impending problem that she couldn’t tell Yongsun.

She need to meet Moon Byul Yi soon.

Unnie, I promise. I’ll put a stop to your heart ache. Give me some time.

-

Moonbyul was finally done with her deliveries. She collected all the receipts and put them in the box. Hwasa was doing the accounts at the side table. Moonbyul joined her.

“There’s lunch in the kitchen. Go eat something. Dinner is few hours away and we will get busy again.”

“Okay.”

Moonbyul grabbed her lunch set and settled down in front of Hwasa. The younger woman was still counting before she grabbed a handful of the receipts from Moonbyul’s box.

“Wow, we did a lot of deliveries today.”

“Yup, this is the first time I felt my shoulders aching.”

“Then eat more.”

Hwasa was urging her and Moonbyul gladly filled her stomach. As she was biting into her chicken cutlet, a receipt stood out prominently. It was the delivery to the hotel.

“This was paid via credit card, right?”

“Yup. The person paid online.”

“Well, I didn’t get to meet her. So I left it at the lobby.”

“Oh? She wasn’t around?”

“She had some issues with her stomach.”

“Ah.”

Hwasa was trying to find the online receipt to tally with the one Moonbyul had. As she pulled out the online receipt; Moonbyul’s eyes fixed on the name. She was stunned.

The credit card owner was Kim Yongsun. She sat up and then took a closer look. Her face turned pale.  She immediately grabbed Hwasa’s arm.

“Hang on. Can I see this?”

Hwasa was a little stunned but nevertheless moved aside. Moonbyul sat in front of the laptop and her heart ached so badly. Hwasa swore she could see Moonbyul’s eyes started to water.

“Wae?”

Moonbyul kept her silence. Her eyes were transfixed on the name of the patron. Hwasa was confused but when she took a closer look; she saw the name – Kim Yongsun. Her eyes grew larger.

“Wait. Is this your wife?”

Moonbyul was unresponsive. But then both of them looked down to the address of the patron. It was not a local address. It was an address from Seoul. Hwasa turned to face Moonbyul who was already in tears.

“MOON BYUL YI! IS SHE YOUR WIFE?!”

Moonbyul nodded.

“YA! She’s here?! That’s great!”

Moonbyul shook her head.

“Wae?!”

“She’s not supposed to be here. I stayed away because I didn’t want her to find me.”

“You know something. This is called fate. Your destiny is still with this woman. And you can never run away from it.”

But Moonbyul was in denial.

“No, she cannot find me.”

Moonbyul got up and ran off; leaving Hwasa bewildered.

What are you doing here, Kim Yongsun?

Moonbyul’s heart screamed at no one.

-