Sequel 21

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Moonbyul was smiling to herself. She was back at Wheein’s house; lying on the bed. She was thinking of the incident earlier on; when Yongsun held her briefly but she let go shortly after.

It was a short period of time but Moonbyul was satisfied. Yongsun’s endearing voice when she asked her to stay for few seconds; she could see Yongsun was staring at her; her eyes were filled with longing. And when Yongsun let go; her gaze was transfixed on hers before she looked away and focused on Minhyuk.

It was that split seconds but Moonbyul knew she was slowly penetrating through Yongsun’s defensive walls. Yongsun’s warm touch was still vivid and Moonbyul closed her eyes; finally getting a good sleep after the last crazy weeks.

“Kim Yongsun, I’ll not give up. I’ll fight my way to your heart. Trust me, baby.”

She declared before falling into a deep slumber.

-

Hwasa was smiling too. Wheein remembered her but the lady was still apprehensive. However, she didn’t try to push Hwasa away when the latter leaned in to hug her tightly. Wheein embraced her cautiously.

“You finally remember me, Wheein?”

“I think I do.”

“What do you remember?”

“That we were best friends and we often spent time together.”

“That’s right. We were, 24/7.”

Wheein smiled then gently pulled away. Hwasa could still feel Wheein’s guarded heart was still apprehensive but Hwasa was not going to push it too far. She pulled away as well and sat back to the same position she was before.

Wheein bit her lower lip; cheeks were a little pinkish; but she did throw a few glances at Hwasa before she finally stood up and left the living room. She headed to the kitchen.

Hwasa watched her as she made a beeline to the kitchen. She was dejected that Wheein chose to run away but she knew she must be patient for now. She saw Yongsun got up as well and moved to the kitchen. Moonbyul was watching her.

Minhyuk ran to his room; leaving Hwasa and Moonbyul in the living room. Things were a little awkward for now but Moonbyul gave her a knowing smile.

“Don’t give up, Hyejin ah.”

“Never. I will not.”

-

Minhyuk was in the room with his mother. The movie scared him, and he was not willing to sleep alone in his room. Wheein was the same too. So, the two of them were in bed with Yongsun in the middle; the 3 squeezed together on the queen size bed.

“I’m not going to watch that movie anymore!”

Minhyuk declared. Wheein chuckled softly and Yongsun was hugging her son tightly.

“I told you. It is a scary movie.”

“Minhyuk hate zombies!”

“Shall I throw away that dvd?”

“Yes Omma, please do!”

Yongsun nodded and then nuzzled her face into her son’s neck. She pulled him closer and hugged him tightly before she turns her attention to her son’s face. No doubt, Moonbyul was there with him. This boy was looking more like her mother as he grows up. Then she frowned.

“Minhyuk, did you enjoy your day with Moonbyul Noona?”

“Noona? Yeah, she’s fine.”

“I thought Minhyuk doesn’t like her?”

Minhyuk gave his mother a quizzing look; before he sat up and then crawled on top of his mother instead. Wheein looked on as she lies on her side. Yongsun looked up; her son buried his face in her chest.

“What’s wrong, Minhyuk?”

“Minhyuk doesn’t want Omma to cry anymore.”

Yongsun was taken aback.

“Minhyuk knows Omma loves Moonbyul Noona, right?”

“How did you?”

“That night, when Omma was drunk, and Omma was talking to Mommy Wheein. You were crying and you felt torn because you don’t want Minhyuk to be upset.”

Yongsun’s eyes grew larger. She wasn’t aware that her son was listening to their conversation. Wheein was equally surprised too.

“Minhyuk wants Omma to be happy. If Omma is happy, Minhyuk will be happy too. Minhyuk doesn’t like her because Minhyuk was scared that Mommy Wheein will have nobody and leaves Minhyuk. Minhyuk doesn’t want Mommy Wheein to leave too.”

Minhyuk started sobbing and Yongsun immediately sat up. Wheein followed through; Yongsun wrapped her arms around Minhyuk and Wheein put hers around the mother and son.

“Minhyuk ah…”

Yongsun was speechless. Her son was always thinking of her and Wheein. He has always been thoughtful about them. He’s only 5 years old.

“Minhyuk ah, Mommy Wheein will never leave you. I’ll never leave you in the lurch. I’m always going to be here for you, Minhyuk ah.”

Wheein’s voice quivered. There was no way she was going to give up on this boy. She loves him so much. Minhyuk is her son. Nobody is going to take that away from her.

Minhyuk pulled away; wiped his tears and then grinned. Yongsun was confused with his sudden change of behaviour.

“Why are you grinning like that?”

“Minhyuk found Mommy Wheein someone to love.”

Wheein rolled her eyes. She remembered his conversation with Hwasa.

“Hwasa Noona?”

“Yeah! She said she will love you.”

“Are you selling me away?”

“Sell? Minhyuk doesn’t get money. So Minhyuk don’t think so.”

Geez, this smart brat. But Minhyuk quickly hopped on Wheein’s lap and then hugged his godma tightly. He then looked up with his chin on Wheein’s chest.

“What?”

“Mommy Wheein, you will give Noona a chance?”

“I don’t know.”

“Minhyuk doesn’t want Mommy to be alone.”

“Why am I alone? I have you.”

“Minhyuk cannot marry you.”

Yongsun chuckled softly; Wheein was losing her rationality because of her smart- godson. But Minhyuk was not giving up.

“So, Mommy Wheein will give Hwasa Noona a chance, right?”

“Are you persuading or ordering me?”

“Minhyuk wants Mommy Wheein to be happy and be with someone Mommy loves!”

“You want to see me happy?”

“Yeah, Minhyuk wants to see Mommy with someone. Omma is not the one for you.”

Minhyuk then turned to his mother. He has slowly accepting Moonbyul because the woman was genuinely nice. He probably felt she was a bit stupid when it comes to his Omma.

“Moonbyul Noona is nice. But Minhyuk think she’s stupid when it comes to Omma.”

“What?”

“She loves you but scared to do anything.”

“Then? What did Minhyuk do?”

“Minhyuk scared her. Minhyuk told her if she not going to do anything, Minhyuk wants Mommy Wheein instead.”

“What makes you think Omma wants her?”

“Omma loves her. And Minhyuk looks so much like her. Omma must be in so much pain whenever Omma looks at Minhyuk right?”

“No, that never happens.”

“Really?”

“Of course! Minhyuk is Minhyuk. Moonbyul Noona is Moonbyul Noona.”

“But you don’t love Mommy Wheein the way you love Noona, right?”

Yongsun was appalled at how smart her son was. She looked at Wheein; the younger woman shrugged her shoulders.

“Your son outwitted me, remember?”

“How did he figure this out?”

“Minhyuk watch dramas!”

The two ladies rolled their eyes. But Yongsun needed to know something.

“Minhyuk, Omma has the intention to leave Seoul.”

“Why?”

“Minhyuk hates Moonbyul Noona before. Omma didn’t want to upset you further so I had the thought of leaving Seoul and live elsewhere.”

“Minhyuk hates that!”

“Minhyuk wants to stay here?”

“Yes! Of course, Minhyuk wants to stay here. Minhyu has friends here.”

“So, you don’t mind having Moonbyul Noona as your mother?”

Minhyuk frowned before he got down the bed. He made his way to his room and literally ran with his school bag back to his mother’s room. He still hates zombies.

“So scary outside.”

Wheein was amused. But Minhyuk turned his attention to his school bag before he pulled out a drawing. It was the same drawing he showed Moonbyul earlier on. He climbed up on the bed and then sat in front of his Omma and Mommy.

“Look! Minhyuk drew this!”

Wheein smiled but Yongsun was stunned. Minhyuk drew his family. His interpretation of his family – 3 women.

“These women are?”

“Omma, Mommy Wheein and Moonbyl Noona. And Minhyuk here. We were celebrating Minhyuk birthday! Minhyuk and Minhyuk 3 Mommies!”

The boy was innocent and simple-minded but Yongsun’s heartstrings was tugging. Her son readily accepted Moonbyul because he witnessed how much his mother cried over that woman. The pain she felt inside resurfaced and Moonbyul’s hateful words lingered back into her mind.

Her heart was halved. Her mind was in a turmoil. She had planned not to give in so easily because Moonbyul doesn’t deserve forgiveness that easily. She wanted Moonbyul to feel the pain she felt and the she had put Yongsun and Minhyuk through.

Wheein could see Yongsun was conflicted. She knew Yongsun was struggling once again; her emotions and everything. She pulled Yongsun closer and hugged her tightly.

“Breathe, Unnie.”

“Wheein, I can’t.”

“Don’t think about it. Just breathe.”

Wheein whispered softly; not letting Minhyuk knowing that his mother was having difficulties to get over the pain she felt before.

“Minhyuk ah, let’s get some sleep. We will talk about this other time, okay?”

“Okay~ good night, Omma!”

“Sleep with Mommy Wheein. Omma is not feeling too good tonight.”

“Sure!”

Wheein shifted to the middle and Minhyuk climbed to the other side of the bed. Wheein tucked the boy in and not long after, Minhyuk felt asleep. Her other hand was tightly gripped by Yongsun. She was still struggling.

Once Minhyuk has fallen into a deep slumber, Wheein quickly turned over and gently pushed Yongsun down to the bed. She put her free arm underneath Yongsun and Yongsun wrapped her arms around Wheein. She hugged her tightly.

Wheein then hummed softly; trying to keep the older woman calm. Yongsun was tearing up but not letting her tears fall yet. She had enough of crying.

“Unnie, what are you thinking of now?”

“I don’t know.”

“Minhyuk has slowly accepted Moonbyul unnie. Are you able to do the same?”

“He’s a child. He has simple thoughts. But I went through so much; it was not easy for me, but I pummelled through everything. I took hard knocks and I fell so many times that I couldn’t even remember how many times my heart broke into pieces each time she rejected me.”

 “I know. I was there with you, Unnie.”

“It’s unfair that she got it easy. It is just unfair how this heart wants to forgive her and move on with her. My heart wants that, but my mind is telling me not to. And this time around, my mind is ruling over my heart.”

“I understand.”

“My heart bled until it couldn’t bleed anymore. So, please stop forcing me to accept Moonbyul. I can’t. I just can’t. Not yet. Not now.”

“Shh. I’ll not do that to you.”

“But Moonbyul and Minhyuk are getting closer. I feel like I will lose Minhyuk to Moonbyul.”

“No, you won’t. Trust me, Minhyuk has always been your son right from the start. You gave birth to him; you took care of him; you raised him. I’m sorry for trying to push it on you. I should have been more thoughtful about your heart. I’m sorry, Unnie.”

“It’s okay, Wheein. But please promise me, Wheein.”

“Yes, Unnie? What is it?”

“Don’t leave my side.”

“I promise you I will never do that.”

-

Wheein had to leave for work. She has a big case going on and she has taken too much time off because of Hyejin. She was determined to put her personal issue aside for now. Yongsun wasn’t feeling well so she had called to her office to inform them. She drove Minhyuk to school instead.

“Omma is sick?”

“Yeah, she is.”

“Did Minhyuk make her sick yesterday?”

“No, silly. She’s having fever. She has too much on her mind.”

“So, Minhyuk should behave and be a good boy?”

“Yes, you should. Try to listen to Omma for the next few days. I’ll fetch you home later.”

“Not Moonbyul Noona?”

“No, not yet. Omma is still not ready.”

Minhyuk nodded. He somehow suspected that Yongsun might have fallen sick because of whatever happened last night. He was concerned about his mother.

“Omma doesn’t want to see Moonbyul Noona?”

“Not yet. When Omma is feeling better, then we might consider.”

“Minhyuk understand.”

Thank god, he understood. He’s smart for a 5-year-old. After dropping the boy at his school, Wheein went straight to the office.  She managed to get her assistant to update her on the case. She was concentrating too much that she never checks her phone messages since last night.

Hwasa had sent plenty of messages but went unread. Hwasa was getting worried. She had sent since last night but Wheein hasn’t read anyone of them. Feeling uneasy, Hwasa decided to come by and visit her at the office.

But her receptionist was instructed to reject any appointments or calls for today. Hwasa took it the wrong way. She was terrified that Wheein might decide to give up.

“Is she inside?”

“She’s busy with the new case.”

“Is she avoiding me?”

“No, she’s really busy. Why don’t you give me your name and I’ll let her know that you dropped by?”

“It’s not necessary. I’ll leave.”

Hwasa left Wheein’s office dejectedly. She had the wrong impression that Wheein was not going to give her that chance. Wheein has been avoiding her since last night; since the time she declared that she remembers Hwasa.

“Is this really over for us? Am I really too late to change anything?”

While Hwasa was brooding over the matter, Wheein finally got some break time. She was dying; her brain couldn’t handle anymore. She left her room and her receptionist called out to her.

“Miss Jung!”

“Yeah?”

“Someone was here but she left.”

“She?”

“She looked upset when I told her that you didn’t want to meet anyone for now.”

Wheein frowned before grabbing her bag. She somehow knew who the person was. She took her mobile phone and left office immediately.

“I think I know who that person is. If there are calls for me, just transfer to my mobile. I’ll be leaving for a short while.”

Wheein finally looked at her phone. She was alarmed at the number of messages Hwasa had sent to her. Those heart-wrenching messages caused a stir in Wheein’s heart. She took a deep sigh and dialled Hwasa’s number.

They needed to talk. They really need to.

-

Moonbyul was waiting outside Minhyuk’s school during his break time. The boy saw her and waved. Moonbyul smiled before she came closer.

“Noona? What are you doing here?”

“I came to see you.”

“Oh, Minhyuk having a break.”

“I know. I brought your favourite egg and sausage rolls.”

“WAH!”

Minhyuk took the Tupperware from Moonbyul and started biting into his favourite rolls. Moonbyul looked on with a smile and occasionally wiped his sweat away from his forehead.

“Eat slowly. All these are yours.”

“Thank you, Noona!”

“So, how are you going to get home later?”

“Mommy Wheein will take Minhyuk home.”

“Oh? Do you want me to pick you up?”

“Um, Omma is sick.”

“Huh? Really? Is she at home?”

“Noona, Omma got sick because Minhyuk talked about Noona yesterday.”

Moonbyul’s eyes grew larger. Her heart sank. Yongsun was stressed up all over again.

“Is she okay?”

“I don’t know. Wheein Mommy said Omma sleeping so Minhyuk didn’t want to disturb. I didn’t get to see goodbye to Omma this morning.”

Moonbyul kept quiet. Minhyuk was apologetic but his Omma is more important.

“Maybe Noona should leave Omma alone for now. Omma is not ready yet.”

Moonbyul’s heart was breaking apart.

-

Yongsun finally got up after the long sleep. She felt worse; she felt like . She felt like killing herself, but she couldn’t. Minhyuk needs her. If not for that boy, Yongsun would have killed herself a long time ago.

This was bad. How much she resented Moonbyul. Her heart wants Moonbyul back, but her mind was rejecting that so adamantly.

It drove her crazy. She was so conflicted that she couldn’t handle it anymore.  The longing; the pain; the madness; everything she used to feel came haunting her all over again.

Just then, her phone beeped. She grabbed it absentmindedly and then read the message.

It was from Moonbyul.

Heard from Minhyuk that you’re sick. I’m sorry. I know you must have been struggling so much and I have been invading too much. I’ll keep my distance away for now. Until you’re ready to meet me again. Get well soon, Yongsun. I miss you.

Yongsun screamed her lungs out in agony.

-