Sequel 20

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

“Can I have that?”

Hwasa was on the sofa; sitting with Minhyuk. Wheein was busy preparing for dinner. All of them were waiting for Yongsun and Moonbyul to come home. They were at Yongsun’s place.

Hwasa turned to look at Minhyuk who was staring at her. She was fiddling with Minhyuk’s colour pencils and she was holding on to the red color.

“You need this?”

“Yeah, Minhyuk has homework to complete.”

“Do you want me to help you?”

“Hwasa Noona can help Minhyuk!”

Hwasa laughed as she leaned closer to the boy. He was grabbing his homework and placed it next to Hwasa on the coffee table. He was frowning away as he tried to understand his homework.

“Minhyuk hate to colour.”

“Why?”

“It’s so girly.”

Hwasa was amused. She then ruffled the boy’s hair.

“You’re in kindergarten. Of course, most of the activities are just colouring and counting numbers.”

“Minhyuk can count to 100!”

“Oh? You’re one really smart boy aren’t you?”

“Wheein Mommy taught Minhyuk since Minhyuk was 1 years old. Minhyuk know how to count to 100 when Minhyuk was 3 years old!”

Hwasa was impressed. She imagined her future children with Wheein would be probably as smart as Minhyuk. Nevertheless, she leaned in to help Minhyuk to colour some of his homework.

“What else did Wheein Mommy teach you?”

“She teaches Minhyuk English too. Well, of course Omma speaks better but Omma has no time for Minhyuk. Wheein Mommy is with Minhyuk most of the time.”

“Oh, Minhyuk loves Wheein Mommy?”

Minhyuk nodded. He then glanced over his shoulders; Wheein was still busy in the kitchen and she wasn’t aware of the conversation Minhyuk and Hwasa was sharing. He bit his lower lip as he turned back to face Hwasa.

“Minhyuk wants Wheein Mommy to be Minhyuk’s Mommy; to be with Omma. But Minhyuk know Omma only loves Moonbyul Noona. Minhyuk feels sad because Wheein Mommy is alone if Omma chooses Moonbyul Noona.”

Hwasa’s breath hitched. How irony was that? Here, a 5-year-old boy who couldn’t help worrying about Wheein because she would be alone and what the hell was Hwasa doing all the while? She left Wheein. She left Wheein because she was a coward. She ran her fingers through Minhyuk’s thick hair. She whispered softly.

“Minhyuk cares so much about Wheein Mommy.”

“Wheein Mommy takes care of Minhyuk. She loves Minhyuk so much.”

“So, Minhyuk is worried that she’s going to be alone and has nobody?”

Minhyuk nodded. Then he added on.

“Minhyuk asked Moonbyul Noona to help Wheein Mommy finds someone if she wants to be with Omma.”

This time, it was Hwasa who had her eyes enlarged. She was surprised with Minhyuk’s revelation. She had always thought Minhyuk is not fond of Moonbyul. Moonbyul told her the last time.

“You don’t hate Moonbyul Noona?”

Minhyuk pouted his lips but shook his head wearily. He sighed before added on.

“Omma loves her. Omma will never love Wheein Mommy. And Omma has been crying and being upset for the longest time. Minhyuk cannot do that to Omma anymore. Minhyuk wants Omma to be happy. But Minhyuk wants Wheein Mommy to be happy too.”

Hwasa could see how Minhyuk was torn between Wheein and Moonbyul. So, Hwasa took his hand and Minhyuk looked at her; warily.

“If I win over Wheein Mommy’s heart, will Minhyuk allow me to?”

Minhyuk’s eyes enlarged at first but then his lips curled into the cutest grin.

“Really? Noona loves Wheein Mommy?”

Hwasa nodded. She loves Wheein so much. If this little guy wants her to take care of Wheein for the rest of her life, Hwasa was more than willing to.

“Okay! Noona can love Wheein Mommy! Please make her happy! Now Minhyuk is happy. Wheein Mommy won’t be alone anymore!”

Hwasa laughed softly. She then pulled the little guy and cuddled him tightly. She kissed his forehead gently.

“Once I win her heart, Minhyuk can be Noona’s son too.”

“Assa~~ Minhyuk will have 4 Mommies then!”

Hwasa felt warmth surging from her heart to all parts of her body. It was a wonderful feeling and seeing Minhyuk approved of her; she felt she could have a little courage to win Wheein over. She knew she had to.

Unknown to her, Wheein was watching them from afar. She had finished clearing up the kitchen and food was prepared on the dining table. She was about to call them over when she saw Minhyuk having a conversation with Hwasa. She was hiding behind the wall that separated the living room and kitchen. The two were unaware of her presence.

She overheard their conversation. Hwasa was seeking Minhyuk’s permission to love her. Wheein found that adorable and seeing Minhyuk worried about her being lonely; Wheein’s heart just swelled with more love for the little guy.

She shared an incredible bond with Minhyuk. And now Hwasa was making effort to bridge herself with her through Minhyuk, Wheein’s heart felt warmth. She likes that feeling. That feeling of being loved; protected and someone took a great deal just to ensure that she wasn’t going to be lonely.

She focused on Hwasa. She still couldn’t remember her, but she knew they had a special bond too. Wheein could feel it but she couldn’t just put things together. There were still doubts and questions that were left unanswered. But she was moved when Hwasa promised Minhyuk that she would always stay by Wheein’s side.

“I will always be by her side even if she couldn’t love me anymore. She will never be alone, Minhyuk ah.”

That was comforting enough. Wheein was done being alone. She wanted someone soon. And she wondered if that someone would be Hwasa after all.

-

The ride home was silent once again. Moonbyul tried to start a conversation but Yongsun was not in the mood. Instead, she fell asleep the moment she leans on the headrest.  Moonbyul noticed how tired Yongsun was; she chose to keep quiet eventually.

She was supposed to keep her eyes on the road but Moonbyul couldn’t help it. The woman she loves was sleeping next to her; she slept so soundly and Moonbyul missed sitting like this next to her.

She recalled her trip with Yongsun to Jeju during their initial dating stages. Yongsun was excited for the trip and she couldn’t contain her excitement. Moonbyul rented a car and they drove around the island. Eventually, Yongsun got tired and she fell asleep next to Moonbyul.

-

Yongsun slept peacefully. She was so hyper earlier on but of course, she got up too early to prepare and somehow lacking sleep. Moonbyul was more laidback. She had to drive so she knew she had to rest well so that she could look after Yongsun.

Just like she expected, her dorky girlfriend fell asleep after goofing around in the car. They pretended to be radio deejays and Yongsun was enjoying herself too much. But watching her sleep was a peaceful routine for Moonbyul.

Many times, Moonbyul would enjoy some quiet moments like this and just watched Yongsun sleep. She had done that a couple of times without the woman’s knowledge. Whenever she slept over at Yongsun’s apartment; after their intimate moments; Yongsun would fall sleep almost immediately. She was worn out by the insatiable need of Moon Byulyi.

Moonbyul reached out for Yongsun’s hand and then she clenched on tightly. She was in love; she had fallen deeply for Kim Yongsun. Her initial reason for getting close to Yongsun was long forgotten. She completely had forgotten about her supposed revenge on Kim Yongsun’s father.

Moonbyul realized how much Yongsun touched her heart in different ways. She remembered how Yongsun’s warm touch of her hand changed her. When Yongsun leaned in and pulled her closer into her embrace whenever Moonbyul was upset; it would heal all the Moonbyul had harboured in her heart for the longest time. When Yongsun said those 3 words “I Love You”, Moonbyul broke down and cried. She never knew love; she never knew affection until she met Kim Yongsun.

Her once cold heart melted the moment Moonbyul realized that her heart wanted to reach out to Kim Yongsun. Falling in love with the woman was inevitable and Moonbyul never regretted it.

“I love you.”

Moonbyul whispered softly as she held Yongsun’s hand tighter. Yongsun could sleep all she wants; Moonbyu would always be there; holding her hand like that.

-

Moonbyul wanted to do the same now. She wanted to hold Yongsun’s hand so desperately. Her heart ached when she couldn’t. She didn’t want to scare Yongsun away; she needed to approach the broken-hearted woman slowly.

Yongsun was being kind enough to allow Moonbyul to reach out to her; one step at a time. Moonbyul couldn’t be greedy this time. She has Minhyuk’s support and Wheein was encouraging her too.

So, if it would take another 5 years before she could finally hold Yongsun’s hand, Moonbyul was willing to wait that long. After all, Yongsun bitterly waited for her for that long too.

It was fair enough that she goes through the same as Yongsun did.

-

“Omma!!”

Yongsun smiled widely and grabbed the boy in her arms when he jumped on her. She kissed him all over his face; he tried to pull away because Hwasa was watching. He was a little embarrassed but eventually he gave in.

“Minhyuk miss Omma!”

“Omma misses Minhyuk too!”

Moonbyul looked on from behind them. She smiled widely. It was the most beautiful sight she had ever witnessed in her life. Minhyuk spotted her; he eagerly waved at her.

“Omma, Moonbyul Noona brought me to Macdonalds today.”

Yongsun frowned before glaring at Moonbyul. The woman feigned ignorance.

“Don’t look at her like that. Moonbyul Noona wanted to feed Minhyuk and Minhyuk chose hamburgers. That’s okay, right?”

“I guess so. Did you thank her?”

“Minhyuk did! She got me toys too!”

Yongsun turned to Moonbyul; she smiled.

“Thanks, but you don’t have to pamper him like that.”

“I didn’t get the chance to when he was a baby.  I just wanted to compensate for his loss childhood.”

“I was with him. He was a happy child. You don’t have to worry about it.”

Moonbyul was crestfallen; Yongsun was not letting her guard down. She was guarding her heart with defensive walls. She was probably not going to let Moonbyul penetrate through that easily.

Wheein suddenly appeared in front Yongsun and hugged the woman tightly. She smiled and then pinched Yongsun’s chubby cheeks lightly. Yongsun’s cold demeanour changed instantly the moment her eyes met Wheein’s. She pouted her lips.

“Why?”

“I know I have chubby cheeks. You don’t have to do that.”

“Well, you’re acting like a child now. Why are you being so mean to Moonbyul unnie?”

“I’m not.”

“Yes, you did. She’s trying to be nice to Minhyuk.”

Yongsun shrugged her shoulders before she excused herself. She went into the room; draggin Wheein with her. Hwasa and Moonbyul looked on; both knew it would take a long time before things could get better. And Minhyuk; he was back to his toys. He was oblivious with his surroundings.

-

Yongsun put her handbag away before pulling out her blouse. She removed them before grabbing her bathrobe and wore it over. She then removed her skirt and all her undergarments. Wheein was watching her while sitting on the bed. She was used to Yongsun changing in front of her.

“Why did you say that to Moonbyul Unnie?”

Yongsun was staring at Wheein from the mirror reflection. She took out her watch; her earrings and even removed her make-up. She didn’t reply to Wheein’s question.

“She’s making an effort.”

Again, Wheein was greeted with silence. Yongsun refused to say anything. She just moved around the room and pulled out her pyjamas. Wheein stopped her when she was about to enter the bathroom.

“Unnie.”

“What do you want me to say?”

“I know you’re still upset with her. But isn’t this what you wanted? Moonbyul spending time with Minhyuk?”

“She should have done that 5 years ago. It was just too late now.”

“Minhyuk spent the whole day with her. He was happy; his eyes sparkled when he shared his day with Moonbyul. He was smiling all the time.”

“That boy is a traitor too. He changed out of sudden. He hates her the most but today, he was acting like the peacemaker between me and Moonbyul.”

“Maybe Minhyuk realizes that Moonbyul is a nice person.”

“She is, but she broke my heart, Wheein ah. I couldn’t forgive her. Those words she said before I got into that accident; they lingered on my mind. How much she wanted to get rid of me from her life.”

“But you know that wasn’t her intention at all. She was just being stupid.”

“Unnie, you know that isn’t fair. You know how much Moonbyul loves you. Did I give you up for nothing?”

Yongsun sighed. She finally turned around and took a good look at Wheein. Her heart couldn’t feel more for Wheein. It didn’t react much even though Yongsun felt touched when Wheein did so much things just for her.

She wrapped her arms around Wheein’s waist, and the younger woman looked up. Their eyes shared so much pain; so much sorrows that they had weathered together for the last 5 years. Wheein never regretted it.

“You don’t have to say anything, Unnie.”

“I want to. I really want to.”

“But you know your heart is going to disagree with you. You cannot fight it off.”

“Am I that weak, Wheein ah? Am I really that fragile that I couldn’t get over it? Dammit. It has been 5 years and I still allow my heart to get beaten; broken and crack into pieces. That’s long enough to be hurt like this.”

Wheein smiled before she wiped away single lone tear that fell from the corner of Yongsun’s left eye. Her hidden love for Yongsun resurfaced. She thought she had buried it deep down, but she knew it wasn’t going to be easy for her either. However, she knew this was the best for all of them – all four of them and that included Minhyuk.

“We have lost our chance too. It was long over; we couldn’t start it all over again. And we both have someone else that we must be accountable for. You have Moonbyul. I have Hwasa.”

“Wait, Hwasa? Really? You remembered something?”

“I dug up my past and found some items that have her name all over. Everything that I had in my possession from the past; her name was engraved in each one of them. Yet, I couldn’t recall anything, but my heart felt something.”

“If she’s really someone special from the past, are you going to pursue this?”

“She is adamant to have me in her life once again. She has promised that she would do anything to make me remember her.”

“Will you get hurt again? If you are, I’m not willing to let you.”

Wheein giggled softly before smiling widely. Yongsun tightened her hold around Wheein before her soft lips curled into a smile.

“Big sister mode, huh?”

“Of course. If I can’t love you in that sense; I’m going to love you the best way I could. You’re someone special in my life, Wheein ah. It feels so incredibly good to hold you like this but you’re right. We both have lost our chance to be together. Do you regret it?”

“Nah, why should I? You remember my promise to you? I just want you to be happy. I must make you happy again. And I’m halfway there. I know you’re hurt. And you’re probably struggling to get over that. But Unnie, give Moonbyul a chance. Take one step at a time, at least?”

Yongsun nodded.

“If it gets too unbearable for you, I’m always here, Unnie. You can always run to me.”

“It’s the same for you. If it hurts you at some point, run back to me.”

“I will. I promise you, I will.”

They hugged each other tightly; letting out all the pain and love in between.

-

Meanwhile in the living room, Hwasa was comforting Moonbyul as they sat together on the sofa. Hwasa saw what happened earlier on and she felt sorry for Moonbyul. She tapped on her shoulder lightly.

“Don’t give up.”

Moonbyul smiled and shook her head.

“Not ever.”

“Good. You probably have a lot more to do with Yongsun but you actually won over your son.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“He told me he doesn’t hate you.”

“He did?”

“Yeah, but he told me he’s worried about Wheein being all alone if Yongsun chooses you eventually.”

“Yeah, he asked me to find someone for Wheein.”

“Don’t worry about that. I got his permission to love Wheein.”

“Ah, you won him over too, huh?”

Hwasa smiled before she glanced to her side. Minhyuk was playing his game; in the world of his own. She smiled widely when she recalled her conversation with Minhyuk.

“Your son is the most thoughtful person I ever met. I said person. He’s a child yet he puts his Omma and Wheein first. I felt awful when I realized how stupid I was. And I was embarrassed as an adult. What the hell was I thinking of back then?”

“Tell me about it. He told me how much Yongsun suffered because of me. He made me realized that I was just hurting his mother; not protecting her.”

“Moonbyul ah, we have to protect the women we love and this young man over there. I want to protect Wheein and Minhyuk. I want them to continue to have that mother-son kind of relationship. Wheein is Minhyuk’s god mother. You won’t break them apart, right?”

“No, I will never do that. Wheein means a lot to Minhyuk and Yongsun. I mean, I have no intention of isolating Wheein from them. I want us to be a family. Minhyuk showed me his drawing of his perception of “family”. He drew Wheein, Yongsun and me as his mommies.”

“Really? So, we are on the right page now? Because I’m going to win Wheein over and give her my heart. But I want her to feel that she can still continue to have this family with Minhyuk.”

“Yes, we are on the same page. Let’s do this, Hwasa. You’re absolutely damn right about protecting them. That’s my main mission now.”

“Let’s go get our women.”

The two women were determined.

-

Dinner was nice. Minhyuk did the seating arrangements. Moonbyul was sitting facing Yongsun while Hwasa faced Wheein. He sat in the middle like a chairman.

“Okay, let’s eat!”

He smiled at all the ladies before indulging with his dinner. The women just looked around awkwardly; but eventually settled down with their food. Wheein was an excellent cook. Moonbyul was salivating and Yongsun noticed it. She smiled.

“The food is to your liking, I assume?”

Moonbyul looked up; surprised when Yongsun spoke to her for the first time.

“Ah, yes. It is.”

“Why? Moonbyul is a picky eater?”

Wheein added on; Moonbyul was slightly embarrassed. But before she could reply, Yongsun did it first.

“Absolutely. She must have kimchi. She won’t eat if kimchi is not served. It’s always difficult when we go overseas. Food is such a tough choice.”

Moonbyul pouted her lips. But she had to agree with Yongsun. She was a difficult when they travelled overseas. However, she was surprised that Yongsun remembered.

“You remember?”

Yongsun bit her lower lip; she was supposed to feign amnesia.

“Some things. Slowly coming back, I guess.”

That’s a pure lie. Moonbyul knew the truth but she was not going to expose her. She nodded thankfully.

And Hwasa looked on with a smile on her face. She knew too. Moonbyul told her. But she was not going to get involved with them. She continued eating.

“Is Hwasa picky eater too?”

Wheein suddenly asked. Hwasa’s mouth was full of rice so she couldn’t answer. Moonbyul did it for her.

“Hwasa is a vacuum cleaner. She eats everything.”

Hwasa rolled her eyes; was still full of rice. She couldn’t retaliate well. But she was surprised when Wheein revealed something of her.

“No, she doesn’t eat Kimchi. She hates it.”

“Oh? How did you know?”

Wheein was stunned when Moonbyul questioned her. She didn’t have any idea too. It came naturally and Wheein’s face was reddened. Hwasa too. Is Wheein’s memory coming back to her? Wheein acted cool anyway. She was always good like that.

“Not sure. I mean she’s not touching Kimchi from just now.”

She managed to get out of the awkward situation but Hwasa thought otherwise. Wheein must have remembered bit and pieces of their past. She was elated with that thought itself.

“Let’s quickly finish.”

Yongsun was uncomfortable with sudden awkwardness. She tried to divert attention but Minhyuk jumped into it immediately.

“Yeah! Minhyuk wants to watch movie. Shall we watch together?”

The boy suggested and the women just stared at him blankly. What was this peacemaker had in mind now?

-

“Train to Busan!”

Minhyuk chose a horror movie. Out of all genres, he chose this one. Wheein hates horror movies and she knew Minhyuk was aware of her weakness.

“What are you trying to do?”

“Wheein Mommy, this is not really scary!”

“How do you know?”

“It’s just zombies.”

Wheein gave up and Yongsun chuckled softly. She remembered the last time they watched a ghost movie together; Wheein ended up on her lap, hiding her face in her chest. While Minhyuk was laughing his head off because Wheein was terrified of it.

“Yeah, he’s right. It’s not that scary.”

Hwasa tried to comfort Wheein. Minhyuk smirked. Hwasa then realized something. Minhyuk was trying to help her out.

“Okay, I sit on the floor! Mommy! Come sit next to me. Hwasa Noona, you can sit beside Wheein Mommy.”

“Where will Omma sit then?”

“On the sofa, next to Moonbyul Noona! Omma, can I hug your legs though?”

Geez. This boy. He’s playing cupid. But the women followed his lead. He was excited to watch a movie together and Yongsun had never seen Minhyuk this excited and delighted before. She didn’t want to spoil his mood.

“Okay, all settle down. I’ll turn off the lights.”

Hwasa volunteered but she left the kitchen light on. Minhyuk was clapping his hands. Wheein rolled her eyes but nevertheless; put her arms around Minhyuk tightly. The movie started and everyone settled down quickly. Minhyuk pulled out his blanket and put it out. Minhyuk was sitting at the side; he was leaning against his Omma’s legs while Wheein was hugging him; while lying down. Hwasa sat next to her; and Moonbyul was leaning against the sofa.  Yongsun was next to her.

“AHHHHHHHHHH!”

Both Minhyuk and Wheein screamed. Minhyuk screamed because Wheein did it first. He was startled by her loud scream.

“Mommy! You scared Minhyuk!”

Moonbyul was amused; Yongsun rolled her eyes and Hwasa was trying to control her laughter. Wheein was such an adorable puppy and Minhyuk was at his cutest when he was annoyed.

Suddenly, in the middle of the scary part of the movie, when the was at the highest; there was a loud thunder and the electricity went off. It was just total darkness and screams were filling up the house.

“YA! YA!”

Wheein was clearly stunned and terrified when the darkness fell on her. Someone managed to grab hold of her, and she buried herself in that person’s embrace. Minhyuk jumped on his mother but Yongsun was startled too; she cowered to the side. Someone was holding her tightly.

Then just like a blink of the eye, the electricity came on and the kitchen was lighted again. Yongsun opened her eyes first before looking around. Yongsun checked on Minhyuk first; the boy was terrified, but she was stunned to find Moonbyul’s face so up close to her. Moonbyul was hugging her tightly in her embrace and Minhyuk was in between them.

Their eyes met. Moonbyul was startled and tried to pull away but Yongsun gripped her tightly and shook her head. She then rested her forehead against Moonbyul. Minhyuk was still in between them; his eyes closed shut. She cuddled her son closely to her before staring into Moonbyul’s eyes.

Yongsun then whispered.

“Stay. Just stay like this.”

Moonbyul nodded.

-

Meanwhile Wheein found herself lodged in Hwasa’s arms. Hwasa was protectively wrapping her left around Wheein and managed to caress Wheein’s back gently with the other free arm. She tried to keep Wheein calm which it did.

Wheein gently pulled away and their eyes met. She felt familiar when Hwasa stared at her. She somehow recognized that soft gaze and she remembered how her heart would beat like crazy whenever Hwasa does that.

It did. This time, it did again. Her heart was pounding against her chest. Without realizing, Wheein lifted her hand up and then caressed Hwasa’s cheek gently. Then it flickered. Hwasa’s gentle gaze ignited her memories. They came rushing to Wheein’s mind and tears brimmed in her eyes.

Wheen finally remembered. She finally recalled who Hyejin was.

“Hyejin ah, I remember now.”

Hwasa’s tears fell immediately.

-