Deviation LAST

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Yongsun sat the corner of the room; she came face to face to her old nemesis; her ex-lover; her estranged wife; her ex-best friend. It was true enough that things would come to this stage. She could never escape it anymore.

Moonbyul, on the other hand, appeared calm. She was listening intently to the person in front of her, ignoring Yongsun’s glares. She nodded a couple of times before picking up the pen and endorsed her signature on a white piece of paper.

She let out a sigh of relief before passing the paper to Yongsun. Their eyes finally met. Moonbyul finally looked up; her tongue was tied but her tired eyes expressed everything.

“You won’t regret this day?”

“Nope. I have made up my mind.”

“You really feel that this is the right path to choose?”

“Our time is over. Our marriage has long tattered and we have somehow stopped loving each other. I’m sure you’re so much in love with Wheein now.”

“I didn’t want this at first.”

“Yongsun, we have talked about this before. This is the best decision for all of us including Wheein and Minhyuk. Especially Minhyuk.”

“You’re still his mother and he’s aware of that. You’re not allowed to just walk out of his life and pretended that he doesn’t exist.”

“Of course, I won’t do that! But I’m doing this for you and Wheein.”

“I’m sorry, Moonbyul.”

“No, don’t be. I should apologize. I never cherish you right from the start.”

Moonbyul smiled widely. It was probably the most bizarre moment for the both. Yongsun doesn’t feel upset; she just felt sorry that things ended this way. She didn’t love Moonbyul like the way she used to before.

And Moonbyul has moved on from their past. But both had no regrets. They did their best to be with each other; the best to keep their marriage afloat but things went to a standstill.

Letting go would be the best solution for both.

-

Just few weeks ago, Moonbyul was released from prison. Wheein was aware of that. And she was perplexed whether she should inform Yongsun about this. It made her losing sleep and she was often in a daze. Wheein was terrified of losing Yongsun.

And Yongsun wasn’t stupid either. She knew her darling was in dire straits; staring into the empty space; looking forlorn and disturbed. So, one night, after sending Minhyuk to stay with his grandparents, Yongsun got home earlier than usual. It had been a while since she cooked for Wheein.

She made some steaks with the finest wine. She couldn’t drink but heck, she would want to spend some romantic time with her girl. Wheein has been nothing but internal support throughout those difficult times when Moonbyul snubbed her.

She decorated the dining table with red roses; two candles and everything was almost perfection. The medium rare steaks were prepared with some sautéed asparagus, broccoli, carrots and potatoes. She made some chicken mushroom soup and some breadsticks for some extra crunch. Then she waited.

Right at 7.30pm, the jingling sound of keys could be heard. Wheein was home as usual. This was the earliest she would get home from work. And today, she had told Yongsun that she was having some headache and would be heading home early.

Wheein opened the door quietly; thinking Yongsun wasn’t home before she was stunned by the huge surprise Yongsun threw for her. Sitting in the dining room was her beloved darling; her sweetheart – Kim Yongsun.

“Baby?”

“Hey sweetie, you’re home!”

“What’s going on? What’s with the candlelight?”

“Come over here.”

Yongsun gestured her to come over. She placed her shoulders on Wheein’s shoulders and massaged gently. She then sat her baby down before she turned to Wheein’s front. She went on her knees; Wheein was holding on to her arms; caressing them gently.

“What’s going on?”

“You told me you’re not feeling well. So, I took half day leave and made you some dinner.”

“Oh, that’s sweet!”

“Besides, we haven’t really had time alone together. Minhyuk kept headbutting his way between us even at this age.”

Yongsun rolled her eyes; Wheein giggled. Their little boy has grown up, yet he behaved like a child. He would lie down between his mothers for a bedtime story; not caring about the fact that he’s almost a teenager; no longer a child.

“He’s your little darling.”

“Yes, I sent the little darling to my parents’ house so that we can have the weekend to ourselves.”

“He didn’t complain?”

“I gave him $500 to bring his grandparents out and buy what he likes.”

“Nice deal. Wow, you made steaks!”

“Let’s eat! Then tonight, I will be taking care of you. So, you don’t have to lift a finger on anything; tonight I’m your servant.”

Wheein grinned widely.

-

Dinner was great; and just like what Yongsun said; Wheein was treated like a Queen. Everything was prepared by Yongsun even her bath and all other things that Wheein would love to do to relax.

“The music is good.”

“You like it, right?”

“Yeah, but the tickets to the art exhibition hit me the best!”

“You need to relax, darling. You have been really working too hard lately.”

Wheein sighed before she nodded her head. Both were resting on the bed; Wheein’s legs were overlapping with Yongsun’s. Her arms fit around Yongsun’s waist and Yongsun was giving feathery kisses on Wheein’s forehead.

Time was ticking slowly, and the couple was enjoying their moments together. Yongsun was extremely glad that she sent her son away.

“It seems nice not having Minhyuk between us.”

“I told you! We need to send him off somewhere for our “WE-TIME” without him.”

Wheein laughed; she was amused that Yongsun was jealous of her own son. Yongsun cuddled her closer; massaged Wheein’s scalp with her fingers gently and kissed her forehead softly.

Her headache was long gone. She really enjoyed this moment.

“Baby?”

“Hm?”

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah, with you. Of course, everything will be better.”

“I noticed you have been stressed out. You were always in a daze. Is everything okay with your work?”

Wheein sighed softly. She knew she couldn’t hide anything from Yongsun. That woman has sixth sense. Wheein didn’t have to say anything but Yongsun would know she’s troubled.

“What’s wrong, baby? Do you want to share with me?”

“I guess I need to. It’s about you.”

“Me?”

“And her.”

Yongsun understood that notion. HER means Moonbyul. The pair hasn’t been talking about Moonbyul for the longest time. Well, both avoided the topic. But this time, they would be confronted once again.

“She’s out of jail, huh?”

Wheein’s eyes grew larger.

“How do you know?”

“Well, if you’re stressed out over her, this could be one of the many reasons.”

“I don’t know why I’m stressed out. I mean I’m confident about our relationship but when I think about it again, the two of you had something special before. I couldn’t just ignore that.”

“You said it. HAD. That’s the key point. Baby, we have been together for almost forever. Everything about you makes me invincible. You make me feel like I can do anything, and I don’t have to worry if I lose my way. You’ll come and rescue me.”

“But..”

“Wheein ah, I love you. I love you so much. I cannot live without you. I cannot do anything without you with me. You mean the world to me now.”

“You mean the world to me too, Yongsun ah. I’m afraid to lose you. I’m afraid that I might lose my mind if you ever leave me alone. I’m selfish, I need to keep you by my side.”

“Then keep me. Let me stay with you. Let me be by your side for the longest time. I’ll never want to leave you. I’ll never want to walk out of your life ever. I love you, Jung Wheein.”

“I love you too, Kim Yongsun.”

Yongsun pulled her baby closer and hugged her tightly.

“Trust me, Wheein. I want to be with you. Forever.”

-

Moonbyul was finally released from prison. Wheein’s good recommendation got her out way earlier than her usual mandate. She was glad that she could finally walk out free but Moonbyul was a little hesitant. It had been awhile since she stepped out into the world.

She finally got her feet out of the prison; at last, it was freedom for her. She stood at the gate; admiring the scenes; looking at the surroundings; and she wondered if the skies ever change while she was in there.

“Welcome home.”

Moonbyul was interrupted by a soft voice. She looked to her side; she was surprised to find a familiar woman who used to interrogate her back then. Her ex lawyer – Jung Wheein was waiting for her.

“Jung Wheein?”

“Yes, remember me?”

“Of course, I do. It has been awhile. Thank you for writing that recommendation letter.”

“You deserve it. You have done good while serving your sentence.”

“But why? Didn’t you hate me before?”

“I don’t keep grudges. It’s never my style.”

Moonbyul smiled; Wheein returned it warmly. She then moved closer; Wheein followed suit and both stretched out their hands. They had a firm handshake.

“You’re finally free. I hope you move on from your past and looking forward for a new future.”

“I will, I’ll do my best.”

“Where will you be going?”

“I’m leaving Seoul.”

“When?”

“Tonight. I have made some arrangements.”

“You have no plans to catch up with your ex flame?”

“You mean Yongsun?”

Wheein nodded.

“She’s with you, right?”

“Yes, she’s my girlfriend now.”

Moonbyul then smiled widely and nodded her approvingly. She made a great choice for taking a step back. Yongsun found a perfect someone.

“Don’t you want to meet her?”

Wheein asked again.

“I don’t think it’s necessary.”

“I think it is. You need a closure. She needs it too. It’s only fair if you could grant her that.”

“A closure?”

“Yes, and not forgetting, you have a son with her.”

Moonbyul hesitated. She knew she has a family with Yongsun but she didn’t think she’s worth it anymore. Minhyuk doesn’t have to know her.

“Too late, Moonbyul. I brought them along with me.”

Wheein seemed to be reading her thoughts. Moonbyul was stunned.

“Are you a lawyer or mind-reader?”

“I’m definitely a lawyer. I don’t have to ask; I know what’s on your mind.”

“Show-off.”

Wheein sniggered before turning away from Moonbyul. Behind her was a silver car and two doors were opened. A young man and a beautiful lady emerged behind Wheein. Moonbyul recognized the woman immediately. How could she forget?

“This is her?”

The young man was sceptical but Wheein urged him to move forward. She nodded before she gently placed her right palm on his left cheek.

“Yes, this is your mother. The woman we have been telling you about. She gave you life. She’s the reason why you’re living on this Earth.

Moonbyul was shocked to hear the revelation.

“You told him about me?”

“We did. It’s only fair that he knows his biological mother.

“He doesn’t have to.”

“I wanted to.”

Minhyuk suddenly replied. Moonbyul was tongue-tied. She had never seen her son; never spoken to him; never even touched him before yet this boy willingly came to her; towered over her before pulling her closer in his embrace.

“I don’t know anything about you; well I know you’re my mother and reasons why you were in prison. But I don’t really know the real you. Omma speaks fondly about you. I can sense that Omma still cares about you. And Wheein Mommy never stops sharing stories about you. I feel like I know you more each time but I would prefer to spend time with you; learning new things about you.”

“You’re not mad that I sort of abandoned you and your mother?”

“You must have reasons for doing so. Anyway, Omma has no hard feelings towards you. I don’t think I could either.”

Moonbyul’s tears welled up in her eyes. She never thought she could hold her son like this; hearing him say nice things about her. She thought she would have lost her son completely.

“Just promise me that you’ll stay close. I don’t know about Omma but I definitely would love to get to know you better and spend time; catch up with the lost years. Somehow knowing you used to be an assassin is somehow interesting.”

Moonbyul smiled as tears fell. She nodded profusely; thankful and grateful to God for allowing such miracle to happen. The mother and son spent few minutes hugging each other before Wheein gestured to Minhyuk.

“Let’s go now, Minhyuk. It’s time for your Omma to spend time with your Mama.”

“Okay, I’ll see you again, Mama. Welcome home.”

Those heart-warming words sent so much warmth through Moonbyul’s heart.

-

Finally.

Finally, they met again.

After so long of being apart, being snubbed; being foolish and ended losing each other; it was finally the day where Yongsun and Moonbyul sat facing each other.

Yongsun wondered if she will lose her temper if she sees Moonbyul but to her surprise, she felt sorry for Moonbyul. The woman has lost a lot of weight. Moonbyul was staring at her; her lips quivered, and her hands trembled.

She couldn’t find words to say.

“How are you doing, Moonbyul?”

Yongsun started the ball rolling. They had spent staring each other in silence for the last 20 minutes. They needed to talk.

“I’m doing fine. You can see.”

“I’m glad you’re alright now. Although you lost some weight, but you still look good.”

“You look great too. You look really happy.”

“I am. With Wheein.”

Those words cut through Moonbyul’s heart, but she has chosen to give it up. She could only smile, forlornly.

“I’m glad.”

“You didn’t give me a chance at all.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Do you really hate me that much?”

“No, I have never hated you.”

“Then why? Why did you snub me? Why did you abandon me and Minhyuk? You knew I was waiting for you.”

“I couldn’t do that to you. I could never give you happiness. Look at us now. Minhyuk is almost 15 years old. And I never had the chance to watch him grow up.”

“You do. You did. You did have a chance, but you blew it. You turned away from us and left me alone; raising our son who looked exactly like you. The struggles I had; the pain I had to go through; the uncertainty around me – Moon Byulyi, you almost killed me for that matter.”

Yongsun finally said it. She broke her heart once again; Moonbyul got hurt by her own stupidity. She knew how stupid she was. She felt that for the last decade.

“I know. I know I did. I hurt you. But I just wanted to give you a new lease of life. I hurt you because I knew Wheein would be there. She was a better choice; she could give you the world you needed while I could only wish I could.”

“So, you think you did the right thing?”

“No, I did the foolish thing, but I never regretted it, Yongsun. I love you. But it was just not meant to be. I almost killed your father. I almost destroyed your family. And I’m still ashamed of myself and I could never put you through this anymore.”

“Thank god for Wheein. She saved me.”

“I know. Thank god she did. She saved you and Minhyuk.”

Moonbyul looked away; her tears welled in her eyes. But she couldn’t look at Yongsun because of the tears flowing from the corner of her eyes. It hurt Moonbyul to know that she could still make Yongsun cry after all these years.

“I have made up my mind.”

Moonbyul suddenly spoke up. She had this thought at the back of her mind for the longest time. She needed to end this; she needed to stop this. It would only hurt each other further; and by letting go, it would give them a better chance to start anew.

“What is it?”

“Let’s get a divorce so that you can be with Wheein without any restraints.”

Yongsun was shocked. She never had this thought before. Moonbyul must have been thinking of this hard.

“Are you sure about this? You’re not going to regret this?”

“No, I have never regret anything. The only thing I regretted is hurting you.”

“Moonbyul, I know I shouldn’t said this to drive the nail further into your heart but thank you for thinking of me.”

Moonbyul shook her head; then she smiled widely.

“I would do anything to set you free. You deserve more than just the world.”

“But Minhyuk is still your responsibility. You’re not going to run away anymore. I want us to share custody of him.”

“Huh? You do?”

“Yes, I have raised him for the last 15 years. Maybe it’s time for to chip in and do your part.”

Moonbyul was beaming with gratitude. She wanted a divorce, but she had always wanted to be a part of Minhyuk’s world. She was grateful that Yongsun was forgiving.

“Minhyuk is your son. He’s our son. You and me. He’s not Wheein’s son. But she has been raising him up on your behalf. So, please, don’t shy away from us. Don’t leave me alone for the second time. Once is enough.”

“Thank you, Yongsun. Thank you so much.”

-

Moonbyul and Yongsun were officially divorced but they remained good friends. Yongsun even put Moonbyul up at their apartment. They had a spare room so Moonbyul lives with them. But the woman insisted to pay rent. Wheein put her in charge of the groceries.

Minhyuk spent most of his time with his Mama. Moonbyul decided to work as a housekeeper for Wheein. She was paid salary. And her job was to ensure that the housework was done and Minhyuk had someone to look after him.

Moonbyul took up the job proudly. She was just happy to have Minhyuk by her side; the boy never looked down on her.

Dinner was done and Moonbyul finally could take a breather. She had promised Minhyuk that she would play basketball with him.

“Where are you going?”

Yongsun finally got out of her shower. She got home an hour earlier.

“I’m going to play ball with our son.”

“Then dinner?”

“You two go ahead first. Minhyuk had some snacks in between lunch and dinner. He said he wasn’t hungry. We will eat once we are back later.”

“Oh, okay. Don’t come back too late. And please be careful!”

“Bye Omma!”

“Bye Yongsun!”

They left, leaving Yongsun with Wheein alone. Wheein fetched her home earlier on after she had done with her work. Wheein was surprised to find the house empty.

“Where did they go?”

“Basketball.”

“Oh, so, we’re eating alone?”

“Yeah, come on. Let’s eat.”

They had dinner then took a rest at the sofa; while watching television. Wheein was gently massaging Yongsun’s calves; just spending time alone together.

Yongsun was watching her instead of the show. She couldn’t believe that she could live harmoniously with her ex-wife and raising their son up together while having the love of her life with her.

Their relationship deepened as time passed by. Yongsun had never wanted more happiness than to live like this for the rest of her life. She was extremely thankful that Wheein came into her life as her angel.

“Angel.”

“Huh?”

Wheein heard her murmur but couldn’t make it the word properly.

“You’re my angel, Jung Wheein.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, thank you for spreading your wings and reaching out for me; taking me under your arms and sheltered me from pain.”

Wheein smiled proudly.

“You’re welcome, Angel. Thank you for loving me; despite everything.”

Life is bittersweet. You could never understand how life could change from bad to worse, but it could turn around and let you experience the most beautiful and sweetest moments in life. Love makes it possible.

Yongsun felt that way.

She’s thankful that she felt that way.

-