Finale

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Getting married to the one you love felt different. Being married means you are committed to live your life with the same person for the rest of your life. It’s a new celebration; a new chapter and indeed, challenging and mind-boggling.

But love makes it perfect. You’re no longer girlfriends but wives. A legal document that puts the two of you responsible for each other – living a life together forever.

Wheein was on the bed; basking under the warm sunlight peering into her bedroom. It was only hours ago that she got married to the one she loves – the one whom she lost once but found again after pure luck. Her once lost vague memories came flooding into her mind and now, she would be spending her whole lifetime with the same person who rocked her world when she was a teenager.

She glanced to her side; her new-wedded wife was still soundly asleep. She was probably exhausted with the events last night. She couldn’t even remember what really transpired throughout the ceremony, but she could still remember the first kiss they shared as legally wedded wives.

-

“You may kiss your wife.”

Hyejin didn’t wait any longer. She just pulled Wheein closer and their lips met. It was a soft, tender kiss but it was enough to churn Wheein insides upside down. She melted into the kiss and her lips lingered for seconds before pulling away.

“You look so beautiful.”

Hyejin was smiling brightly. And Wheein was left breathless from the kiss.

“You look ethereal tonight. Just like an angel descending into my world.”

“Am I really that beautiful to you, Hyejin?”

“Of course, there’s no doubt that we’re meant to be together. Thank you for making me yours.”

“And thank you for allowing me to call you wifey.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

-

“Good morning, baby.”

Wheein smiled softly. She put her arms out and Hyejin comfortably sank into her embrace. Hyejin rested against her wife’s soft chest.

“Hmm, I can do this forever.”

“Me too. I just want to lie in bed like this and you in my arms forever.”

“You are so warm. I like it.”

“Am I cuddly?”

“You lost weight.”

“Isn’t that good?”

“I feel more lean muscles than flabby arms.”

Wheein rolled her eyes. Lately, she spent time at the gym with Yongsun. She wanted to look good in her wedding dress. Her lean abdominal muscles were so tantalizing. Hyejin ran her fingers across her wife’s abdomen.

“I have to thank Yongsun unnie for making you look so yummy.”

Wheein raised her eyebrow. She knew where this conversation was leading to. It got her really good last night. Anh Hyejin has moves.

“We have done it for hours last night.”

“And you had enough of it?”

“No?”

“So, why the hesitation?”

“We are having breakfast with my adoptive family, remember?”

“Oh, yeah. Yongsun’s parents?”

Wheein nodded. They met before but Hyejin still felt nervous. She wanted to thank them for helping Wheein when her family met with an accident. They took care of her; gave her the best of everything and even adopted Wheein as part of the Kims.

“Why do you look so nervous now?”

“Are they supposedly my parents-in-laws now?”

“I guess so. Since they are my adopted parents.”

“But your adopted father is a billionaire!”

“So? He’s still a human.”

“Wheein, even my father is a little scared of him.”

Wheein grinned before putting her arms around her wife. She then rolled her over; with her hovering above Hyejin this time around. She smiled widely as she ran her finger across Hyejin’s lips.

“They are best friends now. They drank so much together yesterday.”

“You think they will get along?”

“Mr Kim is a nice man. He has no airs.”

“That’s why I’m nervous. He’s a great man. He has a big heart to forgive Moonbyul unnie despite what she did to his beloved daughter.”

“Moonbyul unnie has a pitiful childhood. He felt sorry for her. Just like me, he took care of me; raised me up like his own daughter and gave me the best of everything. I’m really grateful towards him. I probably wouldn’t know what’s going to happen to me if he didn’t come to me that night.”

Hyejin’s eyes grew teary. She knew what Wheein meant. She would have lost Wheein without knowing if not for Mr Kim.

“We have to treat him well. Both him and Mrs Kim including Yongsun unnie and Yonghee unnie.”

“Yeah, they are like my sisters now.”

“I promise you, Jung Wheein. I’ll never leave your side. I’ll stay with you until the end of my time. We will grow old together. Whether we have kids or not, I don’t really care. Just as long as I get to stay with you.”

Wheein leaned closer and kissed Hyejin hard on her lips.

-

Moonbyul was helping her son to get ready. Wheein booked a couple of hotel rooms for her family members to stay after the wedding. Moonbyul shared a room with Yongsun. They have recently renewed their wedding vows. Minhyuk was over the moon.

“Mama! Can I don’t brush teeth?”

“HEH? WHY?”

“Lazy.”

Moonbyul rolled her eyes and grabbed her son’s toothbrush. She went down on her knees so that she could be on the same eye level as her cheeky boy.

“Open your mouth.”

“AHHH!”

Moonbyul started brushing his teeth and Yongsun looked on with a huge smile on her face. Moonbyul is slowly becoming into another Wheein. Minhyuk really knew which mom he could somehow bully.

But her son has been too over-pampered lately especially by her wife, Moonbyul. She moved closer to the bathroom door; put her arms together and stared at her son via the mirror reflection. The boy saw her instantly; he looked away quickly.

“Kim Minhyuk, what are you doing?”

“MAMA BRUWHSHED FOURRMEEE!”

“You can brush yourself, right?”

Yongsun enlarged her eyes and her son cowered to his side. He then took the brush from Moonbyul and brushing on his own. Moonbyul chuckled softly.

“Why are you doing that?”

She whispered softly as soon as she got closer to Yongsun.

“Stop pampering him. Wheein had done that. Now it’s your turn.”

“He’s still a baby.”

“He’s going to elementary school next year. He’s not a baby anymore.”

“Arraso. I will stop pampering him. But stop making your eyes so big like that. It is not only scaring him; its scaring me too.”

“Good. Then the two of you will listen to me more often.”

“Aish. This Omma.”

Yongsun playfully punched Moonbyul on her chest before she left her and Minhyuk alone. They just attended a wedding. The wedding of Jung Wheein and Anh Hyejin – it was the most beautiful wedding Yongsun ever attended after her own wedding.

She remembered how Wheein painstakingly prepared her proposal without Hyejin knowing. She travelled to Jeonju with Wheein and found Hyejin’s father. It was kinda tense. Mr Anh didn’t really like Wheein.

-

“Mr Anh, I’m Wheein.”

“I know.”

Wheein gulped hard. Yongsun was intimidated too. Mr Anh is quite a firm and stern man.

“I’m here for a reason.”

“Where is Hyejin? Why isn’t she with you? And who is this lady over here?”

Wheein peered over her shoulder. Yongsun was staring back at her. She was tugging on Yongsun’s skirt; urging her to help.

“I’m Kim Yongsun, Wheein’s sister.”

“I don’t remember Wheein having a sister.”

“I’m her adopted sister. My parents adopted her when her parents passed away in the car accident.”

Mr Anh’s stern expression slowly turned soft. He remembered how the older Jungs died in the car accident. He was aware of the accident but never knew about their deaths. Not until Hyejin revealed the truth, that was when Mr Anh decided to find out more.

He was crestfallen when his hometown friends told him how the Jungs got into an accident and how Wheein was left all alone out of sudden at a tender age of 19 years old. And she was badly injured but thankfully, a certain Mr Kim came to help her. Mr Anh found out that Mr Kim was indeed Mr Jung’s old school friend.

And now Wheein was sitting in front of him, it made him felt guilty. Guilty because he was trying to protect Hyejin; leaving Wheein to fend for herself.

“I need to apologise to you.”

Mr Anh spoke up after a long silence. Wheein was looking away when she heard the old man started talking again. She looked up; was surprised when Mr Anh took her hands and squeezed them tightly.

“I was just trying to protect Hyejin from more pain. When you left, Hyejin lost herself in her own world. When she confessed to me that she has fallen in love with a girl, I was about to throw her out of the house, but I couldn’t. She looked so forlorn; crestfallen and her eyes were constantly red and teary. And I found out your late mother confronted her and blamed the relationship on her. I felt angry and I thought it was unfair.”

Wheein didn’t know about this side of the story. Hyejin didn’t really said anything to her. She was stunned when she was confronted with the truth.

“What?”

“You don’t have to know about that anymore. I’m just thankful that you pulled through and still living well. When Hyejin confronted me after she found you, and when she told me you had lost your memories and couldn’t remember the past; I felt sorry for you. Losing both of your parents must be painful for you.”

Wheein’s smile was sad. She couldn’t remember much but of course, losing her parents in one night was the most painful experience for her. Yongsun reached out and held her hands tightly. She wanted to give Wheein the support.

“I guess, I almost went hysterical when I found my parents died and I was all alone in this world. I thought I had nobody and wanted to give up on my life. But Mr Kim came to my rescue. He and his wife took care of me; nurtured me; gave me their all and put me through school until I became successful as a lawyer. I owed it all to him.”

“I hope you can forgive me for withholding Hyejin back to be with you during your difficult moments.”

“I’m grateful that you did. At least she could live her life properly.”

“All she wants is you. After you left, she stayed single.”

“She did?”

“Yeah, she told me there’s nobody else who can come close to you. You’ll always be her only one love.”

Wheein’s eyes turned teary. The more she found out about Hyejin, the more she wanted to marry her and make her hers.

“Mr Anh..”

“Call me Uncle Anh.”

“Oh, okay. Uncle Anh, I’m here for a reason.”

Wheein paused for a second. She took a deep breath.

“Actually, I want to ask your permission to marry Hyejin.”

Mr Anh’s eyes grew larger.

“Is it legal here?”

“No, it’s not but I hope to marry her in Canada.”

“Why do you want to marry her?”

“I want her to know that I’m destined to be hers. I mean, I love her. We lost each other before, and I don’t think I can lose her again the second time.”

“So, you came all the way here without her knowing just to ask for my permission?”

Wheein nodded timidly. But Mr Anh was impressed. He was studying her from head to toe. Wheein definitely looked different from the last time he saw her.

“By the way, what are you working as now?”

“She’s a top-notch lawyer in Seoul. She has won many cases.”

“Ah, THAT JUNG WHEEIN is actually YOU?!”

“Yeah, that’s me. THAT JUNG WHEEIN is me.”

“Oh my god, I’m going to have a famous defendant lawyer as my daughter in law!”

Wheein and Yongsun looked at each other.

“Wait, you mean, you agree?”

Mr Anh smiled widely. He didn’t care actually just as long as Hyejin and Wheein could live together happily.

“Just as long as both you promise that both will live happily together. I’ll let you do whatever you want.”

Wheein beamed happily.

-

Mr Kim was waiting in the lobby. His wife and his eldest daughter were still busy in their hotel room; women and their make-up. He was reading newspapers when he spotted Hwasa approaching him. He smiled before putting the papers away. He stood up and embraced Hwasa gently.

“Ah, good morning Mr Kim!”

“Oh? Shouldn’t you call me Aboji?”

“Ah, yes. Aboji. Morning Aboji!”

“You alone?”

“Wheein is with Omoni.”

“I can never understand the women in my family. It will take them forever to get ready.”

“It’s okay, we can wait for them at the restaurant. Shall we?”

“Sure!”

Mr Kim stretched out his arm; Hwasa was looking at him; puzzled.

“Hm?”

“Do you want to hook your arm around mine? We can walk around like father and daughter.”

“Ah! Sure!”

Hwasa immediately hooked her arm around her father in law’s arm. The old man is kind and nice. He has this warm, gentle smile on his face that made Hwasa felt at ease. And the fact that he’s a billionaire, Hwasa has a newfound respect for her father-in-law.

“Aboji!”

The pair looked up to find Moonbyul walking towards the restaurant as well. She wasn’t alone. Minhyuk was with her.

“HARABOJI!!!”

The little guy ran towards his grandfather; Moonbyul followed closely behind him. Mr Kim smiled widely as he put his arms out before Minhyuk jumped on him.

“Aigoo, woori Minhyuk-kieee!”

“Minhyuk miss Haraboji!”

“We just saw each other yesterday.”

“Minhyuk miss you every day!”

Minhyuk hugged his grandfather tightly; Moonbyul stood beside him. The old man turned to look at his other daughter-in-law. He was glad that Moonbyul and Yongsun renewed their wedding vows and have been raising Minhyuk together.

“Moonbyul ah.”

“Neh, Aboji.”

“Welcome home.”

Moonbyul’s eyes were watery the moment she heard that from her father in law. She had let him down again and again. She hurt his beloved daughter.

“I’m so sorry, Aboji. I’m so sorry for hurting Yongsunnie.”

“It’s in the past now. You have changed. I just hope you will live happily together; grow old together and raise Minhyuk together with the best that you could ever give to them.”

“I promise, I will. I’ll stop being stupid.”

“Don’t worry, Aboji. I’ll make sure she won’t do dumb things anymore.”

Hwasa butted in; Moonbyul rolled her eyes at her. She playfully punched Hwasa on her arm; the younger woman kicked her in the shin.

“YA!”

“You deserve it.”

Suddenly, Minhyuk said something.

“HWASA MOMO!”

She has been upgraded to Momo.

“Yes, Minhyuk?”

“WHERE IS MINHYUK LITTLE SIBLING?”

“HEH?!”

“You promise you will give me a little baby brother or sister to play with if you marry Mommy Wheein.”

Moonbyul has never seen Hwasa’s face red as a beetroot.

-

Lunch was great. The two families easily blended in and Hwasa never felt so grateful for that. She had always wanted to have a huge family and now she got it.

Mr Kim and his wife, Mrs Kim were wonderful parents. Hwasa was observing them earlier on; how they fussed over Wheein when she was coughing earlier on. Mrs Kim kept putting bits of food on Wheein’s bowl; and even into Hwasa’s bowl.

“Hyejin ah, take good care of Wheein, okay? I’ll leave her in your hands now.”

“Yes, Omoni.”

“Don’t bully her. I’ll find you personally.”

Yonghee unnie suddenly spoke up. Yonghee unnie is the eldest daughter. She has been protective of both her sisters. She had spoken to Moonbyul earlier on; and that was the first time Hwasa saw Moonbyul being submissive.

“I promise, I won’t!”

“Unnie, stop teasing her. You almost made Moonbyul wet her pants.”

Yongsun butted in. Moonbyul was exasperated.

“I DID NOT PEE IN MY PANTS!”

“I said ALMOST.”

They ended up laughing. Hwasa smiled widely. If this is the family she would have to live with for the rest of her life, she wouldn’t mind at all. She turned to her wife; she was laughing heartily and somehow joined in with the teasing on Moonbyul.

Jung Wheein, the love of her life. Her wife and her everything. She could never imagine that she would somehow end up with Wheein. She thought she had lost her forever. But no, she’s with her; she’s here in a flesh and now, she’s her wife.

-

She has thought of the proposal. She didn’t want to be too extravagant, yet she wanted to be memorable. She wanted Wheein to say yes to her immediately. She contacted Yongsun earlier on; asked about the flight details.

“Unnie, can you text me once you touch down?”

“Hm? Why?”

“I have something for Wheein.”

“Wait, are you going to propose to her?!”

“Yeah, and I thought I wanted to surprise her.”

“Oh my god! That’s a great idea! Okay, I’ll let you know when our plane has touched down.”

“Thanks, Unnie!”

-

Hyejin went to the airport. Yongsun and Wheein had travelled for work purpose. Moonbyul and Minhyuk came along. But they were unaware of Hyejin’s proposal. They thought they were just there to pick up the women. And Hyejin had the help of her friend who’s working in the conveyer belt area. She asked permission and her friend agreed to help her.

“Where are you going?”

“Moonbyul unnie, I’m going to propose to Wheein inside.”

“Inside? Inside where?”

“I got permission to enter the conveyer belt area. I will propose to her the moment she steps out to get her luggage.”

“Wow! But we won’t able to see it!”

“You’re coming with me too! I got permission for you and Minhyuk too.”

“Great! Ah, oh my god! I feel so happy for you!”

“I have already told Yongsun unnie too. I’m just waiting for her to text me when they touch down.”

“Good luck, Hyejin ah!”

-

“UNNIE! THEY HERE! THEY HERE!”

“OKAY CHILL! RELAX!”

“WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!”

“ANH HYEJIN! RING! PROPOSAL! REMEMBER?!”

“AH, THAT!”

“GO! GO!”

Hyejin ran into the conveyor belt. Her friend was waiting for her. She was amused at Hyejin’s sudden nervousness.

“Chill, babe.”

“Have you proposed to others before?”

“I have confessed to others before.”

“It’s not the same!”

“It’s the same! Now, just relax! You look like a crazy woman now.”

“She’s coming out?”

“Their flight has just landed. The passengers should be at the passport checks area.”

“Geez, I have never been so nervous before!”

“You’re so lucky to have found Wheein again. I thought I could never see you smile again after Wheein left our hometown.”

“I thought so too. But I was wrong. I really prayed hard that I’ll somehow meet her again.”

“And now you’re in a relationship with her and going to propose to her. You’re a really lucky .”

Hyejin smiled widely; her eyes watered, and her heart swelled with love.

“Yes, I’m such a lucky .”

-

She spotted Yongsun first and the woman saw her too. She nodded and pointed behind her. Wheein was walking alone; she was on the phone; chatting with a serious face. It must have been work. Her woman was such a busy person.

But despite all that, Hyejin wanted to give all of her happiness to Wheein, the woman she loves for as long as she lived. She hoped Wheein will allow her to.

Wheein was within her sight now; her back was facing Hyejin. So, this was the perfect time to surprise Wheein. She pulled out her bouquet of flowers underneath the seat and slowly tip-toed behind Wheein.

She then pounced on her girlfriend. Wheein had the shock of her life but soon cried when she realized it was Hyejin.

“BABY!”

“Welcome home, sweetie!”

“What are you doing here?! Wait, are you even allowed in here?!”

“I asked a friend for help. She works at the airport.”

“Oh my god! I miss you so much!!!!”

“I miss you too, honey.”

Wheein took the roses from her girlfriend and her smile was from ear to ear. She couldn’t believe Hyejin would give her such a pleasant surprise. Suddenly, Hyejin went on her knees; Wheein’s eyes were larger than before.

“What are you doing?”

“I have lost you before. And I regretted it. I should have kept you with me. I should be braver and stood by your side despite the world going against us. I couldn’t forget you after that; and my heart just refuses to accept others as your replacement.

But thank god, I found you again. I found you despite the odds and this time, I’m never ever letting you walk away from my life. I have been thinking so hard; brooding over it; decided that I should seal my fate with you.”

Hyejin then took out the ring and showed it to Wheein. Wheein was stunned; she never thought Hyejin would be the first one to propose to her.

“I have been thinking and this time, it’s definitely forever. So, please marry me, Jung Wheein? Let me be the one who will fill up your world; grow old with you and just live a lifetime forever with you.”

Wheein cried. Her heart swelled with love but she couldn’t find words to say. So, she went down on her knees as well; pulled a gift box from her handbag and pulled out a ring as well. This time, Hyejin was taken aback.

“I have the same intention. And I never regret buying this. I’ll be yours if you’re willing to be mine.”

“Do you need to ask?!”

Hyejin just pulled her closer and hugged her fiancée tightly. The crowd surrounded them clapped loudly for them; some were cheering for them while some just walked away. But they couldn’t care less.

Their happiness meant the most.

-

“What are you thinking of?”

Hyejin’s thoughts were interrupted by her wife; she was concerned when Hyejin was too quiet over lunch. But Hyejin was more than happy.

“I was thinking of you.”

“I’m right here, next to you.”

“No matter where you are, I’ll always be thinking of you.”

“Geez. I love you, Hyejin.”

“I love you too, Wheein.”

This marriage would last forever.

-

After the lunch, they sent the couple off for their honeymoon. Everyone was in high spirits. Moonbyul looked around; everyone was either smiling or laughing. Minhyuk was with his Mommy Wheein; clinging to her thighs. He was not willing to let her go; he was jealous of Hyejin.

“I’ll buy toys for you.”

“No!”

“You can’t go with us. You have school.”

“When are you coming back?”

“Next week.”

“How many days?”

“7 days?”

“TOO LONG! NOO!”

Wheein was exasperated. Hyejin rolled her eyes; but greatly amused with her godson. Yongsun had a hard time pulling him away from Wheein.

“Kim Minhyuk, we will go for a holiday during your school holidays.”

“When?”

“Next month.”

“How many days?”

“30 days?”

“EVEN LONGER!”

“Aish!”

“YA~ Mommy is going to spend some time with Hyejin Momo. When we come back, you can stay with us, okay?”

“Yeah, we will buy you gifts! Tell us, what do you want us to get for you?”

Minhyuk burrowed his eyebrows together; then suddenly his face lighted up like as though there was an imaginary lightbulb above his forehead.

“You will get it for me?”

“Yes, Mommy promised!”

“Okay.”

“So, what is it that you want?”

“Momo! I want a baby sibling!”

Wheein and Hyejin were blushing red. This smartass boy was doing it again! Wheein was especially shy about that. But Hyejin already had that in mind.

“Deal. Just wait for it. Mommy Wheein will give you a baby sibling soon.”

“HEY!”

Everyone laughed including Minhyuk. Moonbyul laughed too. She was amused at how her son could reduce Wheein into second-hand embarrassment. But that what made it special.

Minhyuk adores Wheein. To Minhyuk, Wheein is the perfect Mommy. She’s smart and has been coaching him in his studies. He even tells things to Wheein; some things that he could never share with Yongsun or herself. Moonbyul wasnt complaining; she was just envious that Wheein got to watch her son grew up from infant till now.

Suddenly, she felt warmth on her palm; someone slipped her hand on hers. She turned to find Yongsun smiling at her.

Ah, Kim Yongsun. Her beautiful wife. They have recently renewed their wedding vows. And it was the best day of Moonbyul’s life.

-

Renewing wedding vows after 5 years being apart; being stupid; being dumb. Moonbyul was aware she has lost so much for just that 5 years. But standing before her now was Kim Yongsun

Kim Yongsun, the woman who caught her eye; caught her heart and caught her life. She wouldn’t mind doing it all over again – especially the process of falling in love with Kim Yongsun. Moonbyul realized Yongsun had kept their wedding rings on the necklace around her neck.

However, Moonbyul felt like she should get a new one. And most importantly, Moonbyul had done something bigger than just buying a new set of rings. One afternoon, Moonbyul came to look for Wheein at her office. She purposely took half day leave for that.

“Oh? Moonie?”

“Moonie?”

“Your name is just too long.”

“But my name is Byul. Moonie is my surname.”

“What do you want, Unnie?”

Moonbyul stuck her tongue out. Wheein always but this time, Moonbyul knew how to retaliate. She didn’t feel inferior towards Wheein anymore.

“I have something to show you. Can you help me?”

“What is it?”

Moonbyul pulled out an envelope and gave them to Wheein. Wheein frowned as she read the contents inside with the documentation given along with the letter.

“Wait. Hang on. This is a house loan.”

“Yeah, I got us a house.”

“What?!”

“I have saved up enough to pay for the deposit for the house that Yongsun has been eyeing for.”

“Unnie, this house costs a bomb!”

“That’s how much I have been saving up.”

Moonbyul showed her bank account to Wheein. The woman choked on her saliva.

“YOU’RE FILTHY RICH!”

“I’m not! I was just saving up.”

“Since when?!”

“Since I was a kindergarten teacher.”

“Oh.”

Moonbyul had done some investments on the side while working as a kindergarten teacher. She had some money and she thought she wanted to do something more. After 5 years, the investments gave her high returns and she could finally cash out some of her returns. It was quite a lot.

“You’re smart. Really smart. So, you still have some left in your investments?”

“Yeah, planning to let it grow and pump in more for Minhyuk’s education and his future.”

“Ah, so you’re just going to prove to Yongsun unnie that you can be the best for her.”

“I think I just wanted to be the best wife for her. I don’t care about other things and I got this house because I really want all of us including Hyejin to live together.”

“Unnie, you have done more than enough. I’m truly convinced that losing out to you is the right thing to do. You did better than I thought.”

“You didn’t lose out to me. Yongsun had told me before. You’re still special to her.”

“True, she is. But I’m really happy for you. Even Mr Kim has a lot of trust in you.”

“Thank you, Wheein. So, can you help me see what they need from me?”

“Sure!”

-

With a house secured, Moonbyul decided to renew her marriage vows. She wanted to make new promises and then keep them for life. Enough of breaking them; she needed to make those promises true this time.

She met up with Yongsun after work. She had not seen her wife for the whole day. Yongsun would get busy during office hours.

“Sweetie!”

Moonbyul looked up to find Yongsun waving happily at her. She smiled as Yongsun hugged her. Moonbyul kissed her forehead.

“Did you wait long?”

“Nah, I was just reading something anywhere.”

“Are you hungry? We can grab a quick bite.”

“Sure, actually I have ordered for you. Can we just have our dinner here?”

“Oh?”

Moonbyul bought some street snacks; like how they used to have their dinner dates when they were still dating each other. Yongsun missed those days so much.

“Just like our old times.”

“I thought I should just relive those moments more. I know you have missed out so much.”

“But you’re here with me now. I don’t care about the past anymore.”

“I do. I still care.”

“Why?”

“Because I hurt you.”

“I have forgotten about that.”

“Yongsun ah, I can’t forget. It’s too early to forget about this. So, can I do something for you, for us?”

“What is it?”

Moonbyul took out her rings and placed it on the table.

“I know you’re carrying our old wedding rings on the necklace around your neck. You can keep that for memories. Let’s renew our wedding vows with these new rings.”

“You mean, start anew?”

“Yes and of course, with new rings and a new house for us to live in.”

Moonbyul gave the house deed to Yongsun. The latter was stunned.

“MY DREAM HOUSE?!”

Moonbyul nodded.

“BUT, HOW?!”

So, Moonbyul told her about her investments and all her plans in the future. She remembered Yongsun’s words to her.

“I remember you told me to prove to you that I’m capable of taking good care of myself so that I can take care of you and Minhyuk. So, here I am. I’m ready.”

“I have forgotten what I said to you.”

“I will always remember. And this time, all the promises I’ll be making now, and in the future, I’ll make sure I’ll keep them. Trust me.”

Yongsun cried like a baby; she was moved to tears.

-

Minhyuk went to stay with his grandparents. Moonbyul and Yongsun had the whole house to themselves. It was the first time. Usually, the house would be crazy at this time of the night.

“Okay, this is too quiet.”

“Tell me about it.”

“But I like it. And I like it even more since I can spend more time with you.”

“Are you complaining that Minhyuk is taking a lot of our time?”

“More like he’s hogging you lately.”

Yongsun pouted. Minhyuk has been spending so much time with his Mama. Maybe because they had lost 5 years. Now, it was just making up to him.

“I’m sorry, I will spend this weekend with you. Minhyuk will be at your parents’ place.”

“Moonbyul ah, can I ask you something?”

“Hmm?”

Yongsun bit her lower lip. The last time she asked Moonbyul, the woman flared up. So, this time she was a little hesitant.

“What is it, darling? Tell me.”

“Do you know where your family is resting now?”

“Oh, you mean their niches?”

Yongsun nodded timidly. She wasn’t too sure if it was still too early to talk about Moonbyul’s slain family. But this time, Moonbyul was more accommodating. She put her arms around her wife and kissed her lips.

“I haven’t been visiting them either.”

“Do you want to?”

“Back then, I hated myself. I thought I don’t deserve them because I was the only one who survived that horrible night.”

“But you were a victim.”

“I know where they are but I’m not sure if I should visit them.”

“You should. This time, I’ll go with you.”

-

They walked side by side; hand in hand as one held a bouquet on her left hand while the other was holding an envelope on her right hand. The atmosphere was solemn yet peaceful. They finally found the niches neatly arranged in one place. Yongsun looked in; she saw a family photo. A father, a mother and three little girls smiling widely while looking at the camera. She could spot young Moonbyul easily.

She was the oldest of the 3 girls. She was only 5 years old. Yongsun saw the date on the photo. She sighed softly. Moonbyul was also staring at the family photo. Tears fell almost instantly. It had been more than a decade since she last came. She had never returned because she was lost and confused.

With quivering lips, Moonbyul leaned closer and gingerly touched the photo with her thumb. Her heart ached; her tears almost blinded her.

“Omma… Appa…”

She couldn’t continue; she bit her lips and just closed her eyes tightly. Yongsun put her arms around her wife; giving her the support she needed.

“I’m finally here. Finally came to visit you. I’m so sorry that I haven’t been coming to see you. I’m really sorry for not being the best daughter that you wanted. Please forgive me, Omma, Appa.”

Moonbyul then placed the bouquet on the floor. Yongsun was tearing up as well; her two younger sisters seemed so small in the photo. Moonbyul swallowed hard and then continued.

“I’m married with a beautiful woman. We have a son too. Our son is mine, but she brought him to life. He has my eyes; my nose and everything. I think for some reason, he looks a lot like you, Appa.”

Yongsun had to agree to that. Moonbyul looked exactly like her father. It was like the male version of Moon Byulyi. Now she knows where Minhyuk got his looks from.

“His name is Minhyuk. I’ll bring him one day.”

Yongsun then passed the envelope to Moonbyul.

“What’s this?”

“This is a photo of us – the 3 of us. I thought you might want to put it in here; so that your family can see Minhyuk.”

“Yongsunnie…”

“Don’t think so much. Your family is also my family now. Even though they may no longer be here with us, I still want to say some prayers for them. I still want to get to know them.”

“I will tell you. I promise I will tell you about them.”

“I know you will.”

-

They took a rest a nearby restaurant. Surprisingly, Moonbyul was hungry. She wanted to eat and Yongsun gladly allowed her to. She was worried that Moonbyul might fall into a depression because of the visit.

“Baby, can I have this?”

Moonbyul was pointing to the menu. Yongsun nodded and happily ordered whatever Moonbyul wanted to eat. She was glad that Moonbyul seemed in good spirits.

“You seem fine.”

“I’m fine. Are you worried about me?”

“You were crying so badly earlier on. I thought I made a mistake for asking you to visit your late family.”

Moonbyul smiled widely before cupping her wife’s cheeks.

“I’m so glad that you asked that of me. I’m happy to be here. I feel light-hearted after the visit.”

“That’s a relief.”

“My father is an odd labourer. We did not have much money, but we were happy. Appa would buy us food and share with Omma and my sisters. My younger sister was only 3 and my youngest sister was 1. I saw them got brutally shot; shot right in front of my eyes. My two helpless sisters who couldn’t even defend themselves. Omma held on to them; covered them with her body but the bullets went through her and hit them.”

Yongsun gasped. It must have been horrifying and terrifying that it happened. And it occurred in front a 5-year-old child who might not know the world, yet she was subjected to such horrid memories. She grabbed Moonbyul and held her tightly.

“Appa went berserk and grabbed a gun out of nowhere. He picked me up and ran into the kitchen. Appa hid me in the cupboard. He then faced the killer. But Appa was shot too. And I screamed because Appa died in front of me. I think I fainted. And the next thing I knew, I was at that bastard’s place. And from then, I was fed with lies.”

“Oh my god, Byul ah. My heart aches so badly for you.”

“I cannot remember about the events that happened before the murder. I felt like my mind stopped remembering the moment Appa was dead.”

“I can never imagine how it was, but I just wanted to protect you now. From today onwards, I’ll be your best wife.”

“You already are.”

“No, I’ll be more than that.”

“I have you. That’s more than enough. And you have given more than just life itself. You are my world now, Yongsun ah. You gave me chances and I’d redeem myself this time around. I’ll be the one who give you everything now.”

Yongsun leaned closer and kissed gently on Moonbyul’s forehead. Then she rested her forehead against Moonbyul.

“I love you a thousand times; probably a million times more than now; but trust me, I can love you a thousand times, a million times, a billion times – I’m always going to that one person who love you until the end of time.”

“I love you, Kim Yongsun.”

Love builds on trust. Love grows through heartache and the more pain it feels, the move you will learn to fall in love, all over again.

-

There will be a deviation story for WheeSun fans. 

Wait for me.