Sequel 19

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Wheein was driving around aimlessly. She finally realized one thing. Hyejin was indeed her best friend and she was in love with Hyejin however the latter didn’t realize it. She closed her eyes briefly, but it hurt her head even more.

How did this happen? What really happened to her? What happened between them? Why were they apart? What drove them apart and why couldn’t she remember anything about Heyjin?

Wheein fell in love easily. When she dated her very first girlfriend, it was a year after the accident. She met her at the school she was studying, and she found out that her first girlfriend was from Jeonju, the same town as her.  And after graduation, they went on separate ways and Wheein continued to be in and out of relationships.

But no matter who she was with; Wheein couldn’t settle down as she hoped to. She fell in love, but she fell out of love easily too. Her relationships would only last for a couple of months or the longest she had was two years. And then nothing else.

And even so, Wheein had no memory of her first love. She thought her first girlfriend was her first love. It turned out that she had been nursing a crush on her best friend. And based on the entries in the diary, Wheein was head over heels over the girl.

And the girl was Hwasa or Anh Hyejin.

“What am I going to do now?”

Wheein whispered softly. She was in huge turmoil. This was a mess; a huge mess that Wheein couldn’t help herself anymore. She has fallen so deep into the pit and now she was struggling to find her way out.

Then, she spotted a familiar someone. She was heading to Hans River and Wheein followed her. She parked her car and then decided to walk on foot. She closed the gap between herself and that someone. She was following her from behind.

That someone seemed to be deep in her thoughts. She didn’t even realize someone was following her. Wheein slowed down her pace so that she could keep a distance but still her eyes were focused on her.

That someone was Anh Hyejin.

-

Anh Hyejin walked down the streets that led to Hans River. She had too much on her mind and she needed a breather. Her father’s words and Sowon’s advice clouded her mind. How? How could she make Wheein fall in love with her all over again?

Wheein was a happy child back then. Everything; every simple thing that happened could make Wheein laugh heartily. She was easily tickled and Wheein’s laughter was addictive. Hyejin smiled as she recalled her memories with Wheein.

Sometimes Hyejin wished she could turn back the hands of time. Turn everything around and then confess to Wheein how much she loves her and how much her life needs Wheein to be around for Hyejin to live properly as a human.

Ever since she walked out of Wheein’s life, her world turned upside down. She felt like she was cruelly thrown to hell and she struggled so hard to walk through the heated flame so that she could get over Jung Wheein. No, it was more like she was forced to forget Wheein.

Still, Hyejin could never get over her. It was too difficult and Hyejin gave up trying. Instead, she let imaginary Wheein to live in her heart and it was then Hyejin found herself able to move on from whatever hellish moments she had without Wheein around.

Suddenly, Hyejin felt weird. Someone was following her from behind. She could sense it. She realized it earlier on, but she thought that stranger was just going the same way as she did. But after a distance, that stranger was still behind her and she finally realized. She was being followed.

But she didn’t turn around. She just looked ahead and fastened her pace. If that stranger was following suit, Hyejin would jump on that person. True enough, Hyejin could hear the fast footsteps behind her.

Then without hesitation, Hyejin halted and then turned around. The stranger stopped abruptly and just stood there; in a daze. And Hyejin was stunned to find the familiar stranger staring at her.

“Wheein?”

Hyejin called out softly.

“Who are you? Who are you, Anh Hyejin?”

Hyejin’s eyes grew larger. She has never told Wheein her real name. But Wheein was already coming closer and grabbed her arms.

“Who are you exactly? Why is your name resounded in my head? Why all my possessions have your name in it? How are you related to me? And if we are related, why did you leave me alone after the accident?”

Wheein’s voice was desperate. Her quivering voice hurt Hyejin even more. But Hyejin didn’t answer. She just pulled Wheein closer in her embrace and Wheein didn’t pull back either.

They just stood there; eyes on each other; heart aching and hands trembling so badly.

-

Yongsun couldn’t concentrate at work. Her mind kept travelling back to that moment she was in the same car with Moonbyul. How did that happen? How could this happen?

And her son was driving her crazy too. He told her he hates Moonbyul Noona but he was the one who led the woman into their house; and even got his hated Noona to send him to school and fetch him later.

What happened to Minhyuk? Did he change his mind? If he did, but why? Why did he change his mind?

“Yongsun-shi, there’s someone at the reception.”

“Oh?”

“I asked her to come in, but she said it’s okay. She can wait for you. Maybe you would like to see her?”

“Okay, I’ll take it from here.”

Yongsun followed her colleague and was surprised to see Moonbyul instead. She was standing there with a lunch box. Yongsun frowned.

“Hey.”

“You’re here again.”

“Yeah, I realized you didn’t bring your lunch with you.”

“I can always go out and buy something for myself.”

“Oh.”

Moonbyul never thought of that. It was just an excuse for her to visit Yongsun. So, she came bearing with food.

“But I bought your favourite.”

Yongsun looked away briefly; she needed to clear out her mind. She wasn’t ready to see Moonbyul again. She had to know.

“Moonbyul, what are you doing here?”

“I…I just wanted to see you.”

Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat. She then looked at her watch. It was almost lunch time anyway.

“Come to my room. We can have lunch together.”

“But what time is Minhyuk ending school?”

“You can leave at 2pm. He finishes school at 4pm.”

“Oh okay.”

“Come on.”

Yongsun led Moonbyul to her room. She’s a manager and Moonbyul looked around the room. Yongsun was different this time. Yongsun reminded Moonbyul of Wheein. That white blouse was hugging her body tightly and power skirt that was showing off Yongsun’s curves. Those high heels were such a killer.

Kim Yongsun is a hot y mama.

“Sit and give me that. I’ll get my assistant to prepare for us.”

She took the packets of food and passed to her assistant. She then went back to her seat; leaning against the armchair and focused on Moonbyul.

“Wow, you’re a manager now.”

“Yeah, I took over my father’s business.”

“How is he?”

“He’s good. He’s happily travelling with my mother.”

Moonbyul nodded. She knew that. She met him few days ago. The assistant came back with the food and like Yongsun suspected, it was tteobokki. Her eyes sparkled and Moonbyul noticed it.

“You still love tteokbokki?”

“Yeah, I do. How did you know?”

“Oh, Wheein told me.”

“Ah, I see.”

The two were still pretending like they didn’t know each other. But of course, they knew so much about each other.

“Yongsun, I’m here because I wanted to see you.”

Yongsun nodded but didn’t say anything.

“I wanted to repair our relationship. Even if you’re never coming back to me, I still want to be your friend.”

“Aren’t we, now?”

“More than just an acquaintance. Just like we were before. Like best friends.”

“How can we be best friends when I couldn’t remember you at all?”

“You don’t have to do anything. Let me do it. Let me mend this relationship. I just hope you can trust me again; just trust me for one last time.”

“It’s not going to be easy and you know that.”

“I know. I know it well. But I’m not going to give up trying. You were hurt for 5 long years; but I’m willing to wait for another 20 years or more. Until you tell me in the face.”

“Tell you what?”

“Tell me that you love me again.”

Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat.

-

Lunch with Yongsun went smoothly; well almost. Moonbyul did most of the talking but she was satisfied. Yongsun didn’t react negatively although she was silent most of the time.

Moonbyul felt lucky that Yongsun didn’t turn her away. She was willing to sit down and even shared her lunch with her. But Yongsun still wasn’t smiling. She had this cold demeanour on her and Moonbyul knew she shouldn’t push her luck too much

One day at a time; she would take baby steps to lead Yongsun back into her heart; into her life and Moonbyul vowed to love Yongsun for the rest of her life.

-

“Yongsun’s heart has hardened.”

“Moonbyul, a woman’s heart no matter how harden it got, it would soften somehow. We are all gentle beings. God made us special that way. Yongsun’s not hard-hearted. She was probably terrified and afraid to go through the same path; that same painful path again.”

Moonbyul was having coffee with Madam Yoo, their old principal from kindergarten.

“I’m aware what Yongsun had went through. I have seen her once or twice after she left the kindergarten but I know deep down in her heart, she loves you. She still loves you.”

“Madam Yoo, thank you so much.”

“I want to see Yongsun smiling again. Each time, we have a reunion, Yongsun would force a smile on her face and it’s so evident to us. So, if you could bring back the old, cute and innocent Yongsun back, I’d appreciate that very much, Moonbyul.”

Moonbyul knew she had to turn back time in her own ways.

-

Minhyuk was packing his school bag when his teacher told him someone was here. He nodded and picked up his bag; wearing his shoes and then walked out of the door.

Moonbyul was standing there; with a wide smile. Minhyuk looked at her briefly before he came closer.

“How are you today?”

“Good.”

“What did you learn?”

“Minhyuk cannot remember.”

Minhyuk was acting cold. And Moonbyul knew she had to take it slow with her son too. She was lucky that Minhyuk allowed her to invade his life with his Omma so she had to be patient with both.

“My car is over there. Shall we go?”

“Okay.”

Minhyuk walked ahead first; Moonbyul followed him from behind. The young boy was dragging his feet and he seemed to be struggling with his school bag. Well, it seemed bigger than himself. Moonbyul offered to take his bag for him.

“Are you tired?”

“Yeah, Minhyuk played too much.”

“Do you want me to carry you?”

“Huh?”

“If you’re tired, I can carry you.”

Moonbyul didn’t wait. She went ahead and lifted the boy in her arms. Minhyuk didn’t fight her but his jaw dropped. Moonbyul adjusted herself so that Minhyuk could get comfortable. She then walked slowly with her son in her arms.

The walk was silent but Moonbyul noticed Minhyuk was stealing some glances at her. It was once or twice then suddenly Minhyuk focused on Moonbyul. It was a little awkward but Moonbyul adored this moment. It was supposed to be her job anyway.

Minhyuk was staring at her; he looked at her intently before he pulled out his face towel from his pocket. Moonbyul noticed him.

“Why?”

“You’re sweating.”

“Ah, it’s okay.”

But Minhyuk started wiping her sweat off with his tiny hand towel. Moonbyul was taken aback but her heart was touched. She smiled widely and Minhyuk returned it.

“Minhyuk heavy?”

“Nope, you’re so light. Have you not been eating?”

“Minhyuk eats. But Minhyuk plays a lot too.”

“Then you should eat more. Shall we eat something you like today?”

The boy’s eyes sparkled and then nodded profusely. Moonbyul chuckled softly.

“So, what do you want to eat?”

“Minhyuk wants to eat hamburger!”

“Does Omma allow you to eat that?”

“She does. But Omma is always busy. She hardly has time to bring Minhyuk to eat outside.”

“Ah, shall we go then?”

“Really?! Noona is going to bring Minhyuk to eat?!”

“Of course. Let’s not disturb Omma. She’s busy at work.”

“YAY!”

Minhyuk hugged Moonbyul for the very first time.

-

Wheein was driving back home with Hyejin next to her. Moonbyul contacted her; she has picked up Minhyuk and would be back home after lunch. Seems like Moonbyul was winning over Minhyuk’s heart. And Wheein was smiling when she heard Minhyuk’s voice.

“Wheein Mommy!”

“Hey, Hyukkie! Have you been a good boy?”

“Yes! Noona is going to take Minhyuk to eat hamburger!”

“Oh? That’s great! Then you stay with Moonbyul Noona, okay? I’ll see you at home.”

“Okay! Miss you, Wheein Mommy!”

“Miss you too, Hyukkie.”

She was full of smiles; Minhyuk was happy. He was genuinely enjoying his little date with Moonbyul. Hyejin was watching her; she was envious at how Minhyuk could make Wheein smile so effortlessly.

“Minhyuk is precious to you, huh?”

Wheein turned to look at Hyejin before she nodded.

“He’s my god son.”

“You love him so much.”

“Yeah, I do.”

“And his mom too?”

Wheein then smiled. She loves Yongsun but now, it was less intense than before. Yongsun was more like a sister to her now.

“I fell in love with Yongsun unnie while I was handling Moonbyul’s case. She was determined to help Moonbyul and I was admiring her courage and strength to pursue relentlessly despite Moonbyul’s rejections. I wanted to protect her so much and I was extremely crossed with Moonbyul for treating her like that.”

“Then why didn’t you pursue her heart?”

“Because I know she loves Moonbyul. She loves Moonbyul so much that she was willing to face rejection; disappointment and even if waiting was so torturous for her heart; she still waited for Moonbyul.”

“Your heart, doesn’t it hurt?”

“It does. It hurt like hell. But I can’t come in between them.”

“Are you afraid that you will fail?”

“No, I just feel that I’ll always be the third party between them. And they have a child together. They have Minhyuk. Minhyuk deserves better.”

“If Moonbyul gets back with Yongsun-shi one day, what are you going to do?”

“I have already let her go since the day I found Moonbyul. My job is done. I have brought Moonbyul back into her life. The rest is up to Moonbyul.”

“Wheein, is it possible for me to enter into your life then?”

Wheein gripped her steering wheel tightly. But she didn’t turn to face Hyejin. She was still confused with her own issues. She wasn’t too sure if she could.

“I don’t know.”

“Will you at least let me try?”

Wheein finally turned to face Hyejin. She saw tears b in Hyejin’s eyes and her heart sank. It hurt to see Hyejin’s tears. It was upsetting for Wheein too.

“Hyejin, help me.”

“I will. I will help you find your past; bring back your memories. Just don’t give up on me, Jung Wheein.”

Wheein nodded.

-

“Woo!”

Minhyuk was excited when Moonbyul returned to their table with hamburgers and some toys that came along with the Happy Meal. Minhyuk was a child after all. He discovered there were two toys; his eyes grew larger than before.

“Both are Minhyuk’s?!”

“Yeah, they have 2 toys and they asked me to choose. I can’t choose so I bought 2 Happy Meals so that I can get both for you.”

“Minhyuk love this! Thank you, Noona!”

He was smiling so widely that Moonbyul’s heart swelled with so much love for her son.  He settled down while fiddled with his toys; he fed himself with some fries. However, his eyes were too concentrated on the toys in his hands.

“Minhyuk, do you want some nuggets?”

“Can you feed me, Noona?”

Moonbyul smiled; she picked up one piece and put it near to Minhyuk’s mouth. The boy ate it heartily and flashed her the widest smile ever. Moonbyul has never seen this side of her boy. She continued to feed him including his hamburger and the boy let her.

“Minhyuk ah, did you enjoy today?”

“Of course! Thanks for the toys!”

“Anything you want, Minhyuk ah.”

Minhyuk smiled; then he pulled out something from his school bag. It was a drawing. He drew a family. He showed it to Moonbyul.

“What is this?”

“Today, teacher asked us to draw our family. Minhyuk draw our family.”

Moonbyul took a closer look and realized Minhyuk drew 3 women behind him. He recognized Yongsun and Wheein. Then she recognized the last woman. It was her. She looked at her son; her eyes enlarged.

“Minhyuk drew Omma, Wheein Mommy and Noona. Minhyuk got 3 mommies, right?”

Moonbyul’s heart was aching. Her son drew her as part of the family; part of his family. He was gradually accepting Moonbyul into his life. She pulled him closer and hugged him tightly.

“Yes, you have 3 mommies who love you so much, Minhyuk ah.”

“Noona loves Minhyuk too?”

“Of course! I love you so much.”

“Then Omma?”

“Do I have to say more? Your mother is the only one for me, Minhyuk.”

“Then get her. Minhyuk will help Noona!”

Moonbyul vowed to work hard for her Minhyuk; for her precious boy.

-

Yongsun was busy; she welcomed that. It was the best distraction from her problems especially Moonbyul. That woman had the audacity to come over to her office; bearing lunch and said words that got her riled up for no reason.

If only Moonbyul had done this 5 years ago; she would fall head over heels now. But this time, her heart was a little reluctant to give in. It wasn’t easy for her and of course, the heart was being careful.

“Yongsun-shi, we are leaving now.”

“Oh?”

Yongsun looked at her watch; it was 6.10pm. Her colleagues were heading home; all of them except for her.

“Ah, I just lost track of time.”

“You’re not heading home yet?”

“I’ll do so in a while. You guys can head home first.”

“Okay, we will see you tomorrow.”

With that, Yongsun was left alone in the office. She stretched her back and took off her specs. She then leaned against her armchair. She closed her eyes and her mind transported back to those days when she and Moonbyul were so deeply in love.

-

It was the most perfect Summer morning. The sun was shining so brightly and Moonbyul was getting ready to head out. They would be heading to the beach. Yongsun packed their lunch in the picnic basket and Moonbyul placed it in the backseat of their car.

“All ready?”

“Yeah!”

“Let’s go!”

Moonbyul was driving. Yongsun wound the car window down and stretched out her right arm out. She closed her eyes; basking under the sunlight with a huge smile on her face. It was their 6th month anniversary and falling in love with Moonbyul was the best thing ever happened to her.

Moonbyul glanced to her side; she smiled when she saw her beautiful girlfriend was enjoying herself. She reached out for Yongsun’s left hand. She slipped her fingers in between Yongsun’s and then clenched tightly while driving with one hand.

“These spaces between your fingers fit mine.”

“Of course, they do.”

“I love the way it feels. Your palm is so warm.”

Yongsun smiled as she lifted their intertwined hands to her lips. She kissed Moonbyul’s hand and let it linger for awhile before she leaned forward and kissed Moonbyul on her lips instead.

Her heart swelled when Moonbyul mouthed the words “I love you”. Everything about Moonbyul got her falling deeper and deeper. Moonbyul’s voice melted through her heart and Yongsun knew she would never get up on her feet again if Moonbyul was to leave her one day.

“Don’t ever leave me, baby.”

Moonbyul turned to look at her.

“I’ll never leave you, sweetie.”

Moonbyul promised.

“I don’t think I can ever get over you if you leave me. I’m too far deep into this pit. And I have no plans of getting out of it anymore. I don’t want to struggle to get out so please, just don’t ever walk away from me. Just stay with me no matter how difficult it gets.”

Moonbyul nodded.

“I promise. I promise I’ll never ever leave you alone.”

-

Tears fell when Yongsun recalled Moonbyul’s promises. They were broken now. Those promises were long forgotten but Yongsun was still holding on to them for the last 5 years. Will Moonbyul still remember them now?

“What are you doing all alone?”

Yongsun sat up immediately. She looked up to find Moonbyul at her office door.

“How did you get in?”

“The door was unlocked. I was a little worried when I realized there was nobody, but your office’s light was still on.”

“Ah, they left. I was about to leave too but I lost track of time again.”

“Okay, are you getting ready to leave now?”

Yongsun nodded.

“Where’s Minhyuk?”

“I have left him with Wheein and Hwasa. He asked me to pick you up.”

Yongsun frowned. What was going on with her silly son?

“Minhyuk asked you to?”

“Yeah, he requested me to pick up his Omma from work. Shall we?”

“Oh okay, let me pack up.”

After twenty minutes later, they were at the lift lobby. Moonbyul was walking ahead of Yongsun; the woman was watching her back all the while. She realized how much she misses looking at Moonbyul from her back.

Moonbyul is tall and slender; her long wavy brown hair was resting slightly below her shoulders and Moonbyul loves to wear t-shirt and denim jeans. She was a little tomboyish but Yongsun loves that side of hers. Her androgynous side was the reason why Yongsun fell in love. A woman who looks good in both ways.

“Wait here. I’ll go get the car.”

Moonbyul suddenly spoke up.

“We can go together.”

“It’s a little far off from here.”

“No problem. Let’s walk together. Saves more time.”

“Oh sure.”

So, the two women walked side by side; both in their own world. The walk was so rather long, silent and almost awkward. But Moonbyul wasn’t lying when she said it was far off from where they stood earlier on.

“Is it still far?”

“Nah, just up ahead. Sorry, I couldn’t find any parking lots earlier on.”

“It’s okay.”

“Your heels must be killing you.”

“These? I’m used to it.”

“You used to hate them.”

“Well, there are many things that I wasn’t used to but now I’m perfectly fine with them.”

“Does that include me?”

“Moonbyul..”

“You must have gotten used not having me around that you couldn’t remember me; couldn’t remember us.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize. I deserve it.”

Moonbyul smiled weakly before she finally reached her car. She opened the door for Yongsun and waited for the woman to sit in. But Yongsun was rooted to the ground.

“I think I should head home alone.”

“Yongsun, don’t.”

“My amnesia is obviously killing you softly and I don’t wish to hurt you further.”

Moonbyul shook her head.

“The only thing that is killing me now was my stupidity of letting you slip away from my grip. I thought I did it right to give you up, but I never thought of the consequences of losing you completely. It scared me then and it still scares me now.”

“Moonbyul..”

“I gave you up not because I don’t love you anymore. I gave you up because I don’t wish to see you struggling to live with embarrassment or even harassment from others. I was a scumbag and I was jailed for a murderer. It was bad enough that I had used you to accomplish whatever I had planned to do. But Yongsun ah, I have never stopped. I couldn’t. I could never stop loving you.”

Yongsun’s eyes filled with tears.

“What I did to you for the last 5 years were unforgivable. And if the man in heaven is helping you to alleviate the pain by giving you amnesia; then be it. I’m not going to blame anyone or even him. I’ll only blame myself because I put you through this. But there’s one thing; there’s one favour I need from you.”

Moonbyul closed the door and moved closer towards Yongsun. She slowly wrapped her arms around Yongsun and waited for her reaction. Yongsun was just staring at her. Since Yongsun didn’t push her away; she pulled Yongsun closer into her embrace and hugged her tightly.

Yongsun didn’t reciprocate nor pulled away. She was just standing there; as tears filled her eyes and Moonbyul could literally hear Yongsun’s heart breaking apart.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything that had happened. But if you can; if you can still accommodate me in your life; please do me a favour.”

“What is it?”

“Don’t give up on me. If you still have a little bit of feelings for me left; just hold on to it. Give me one last chance to turn everything around. And I promise you. I’ll keep my promises this time. I swear upon my life that I will never ever break my promises ever again.”

Yongsun’s tears fell. And Moonbyul wiped them away.

“Take your time to heal but don’t give up on me yet.”

Moonbyul pleaded sincerely.

-