Sequel 24

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Wheein had never slept so soundly before. She felt comfortable and contented just having to lie down next to Hyejin. Her warmth was seeping through Wheein’s heart; she had that familiar but vague feeling slowly engulfing her into a beautiful moment.

She opened her eyes slowly; she was still in Hyejin’s arms; wrapped tightly around Wheein’s waist. She looked up; admiring the beauty in front of her; and bits of her memories came into her mind. She knew this feeling. She embraced it more than ever.

She gently cupped her right hand over Hyejin’s left cheek; caressing gently as she smiled.

“I wish I could embrace you fully. But Yongsun is still etched deeply down in my heart. And as long as Yongsun doesn’t find her happiness, I can never break free from her, Hyejin ah. Please forgive me.”

Wheein whispered as her heart ached. Ached for two women – one who still struggles with her own pain and the other who is regretful because she wasn’t brave enough to hold Wheein in her life and now waiting patiently for her.

Then Hyejin smiled. She shook her head as she pulled Wheein closer to her. She then laid her forehead against Wheein’s.

“I will wait for you, Jung Wheein. For as long as I’m here with you, I’ll wait for you until the day God takes me home with him.”

Both cried silently; tears fell from the corner of their eyes. But Hyejin still kept her eyes shut while Wheein stared at her with full of sadness. Fate was just playing with them in the most twisted way they could ever imagine.

Meanwhile, Minhyuk was getting ready for school. Moonbyul woke up slightly earlier to make breakfast for her. She decided to make pancakes for her son. She was laughing happily when Minhyuk suddenly shook his buttocks to the song playing on the radio.

“Minyuk ah, stop playing a fool and get ready for school! You’ll be late!”

Moonbyul needed to stop laughing; she didn’t realize how mischievous her son could get. He has everything of her including her greasiness and her mischief ways.

“What on earth is going on?”

Wheein finally appeared in her night gown; Hyejin was following behind her. Minhyuk ran up to Wheein and jumped on her. Wheein managed to catch him.

“HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY?! DO NOT JUMP ON ME LIKE THAT!”

“Mommy, I miss you! You didn’t sleep next to me!”

“Hey, you cannot hog two women at the same time.”

“Minhyuk can! Minhyuk has the privilege.”

“Gosh, he’s totally Moonbyul in the making.”

“Hwasa, shut up.”

Hyejin stuck her tongue out at Moonbyul before making her way to the kitchen. She noticed Moonbyul struggling with the pancakes, so she offered to take over. Wheein carried the boy into her room and helped him to get ready for school.

Moonbyul was packing some leftovers kimbaps for both Wheein and Minhyuk. Hyejin cleared the kitchen and then made her way to the living room. She grabbed her plate of pancakes and ate heartily.

“You’re sending Minhyuk to school?”

“Yeah, Wheein said she has a meeting to attend to this morning.”

“I’ll go with you then we can go to the market. I’m planning to cook a big feast tonight.”

“Okay, I’ll get prepared.”

Hyejin nodded and Moonbyul disappeared into her room. Suddenly Minhyuk ran across the hall and jumped on the sofa. Hyejin almost toppled the plate over. She rolled her eyes but couldn’t resist the young boy either. She ended up feeding him his breakfast.

Wheein finally got out from her room; she was dressed in white blouse and a black power skirt. Damn it, she looked so good in that. And she had her black blazer in her arms with her handbag on her right. In her left arm was her documents bag.

Gosh, Jung Wheein looked so good; so damn good.

“Hyejin Noona, Minhyuk is waiting for pancakes.”

Hyejin was embarrassed when she realized she was feeding air instead of Minhyuk. She shoved the pancake into Minhyuk’s mouth; the boy chewing happily but of course, with a cheeky grin on his face. Hyejin knew Minhyuk was making fun of her.

“Be good and eat yourself.”

She left the plate of pancakes to Minhyuk before headed into the kitchen. Her heart was beating too fast; too fast for comfort and she knew if she didn’t control herself; she might eat Wheein up at that moment.

“Is something bothering you?”

And Jung Wheein was not helping at all.

“No, I just needed a cup of coffee.”

“Oh, I’ll pour for you.”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll do it. Eat your breakfast.”

“Thanks Mom!”

Hyejin rolled her eyes at Wheein but a tint of pink on her cheeks were visible despite being tanned. And it didn’t go unnoticed. Wheein smirked when she realized how much she could make Hyejin being shy around her.

Moonbyul appeared and they had breakfast together. Soon it was time to leave and Wheein got into her own car while Moonbyul and Hyejin went to another. Minhyuk was with them.

But before leaving Wheein decided to head back to Yongsun’s place tonight.

“Come over to Yongsun’s house. I need to clean up the place.”

“I’ll do it. Hyejin is making dinner. Shall we head to Yongsun’s place too?”

“Yeah, you can cook at her place. I’ll pass you the keys.”

“See you later, Wheein.”

“Yeah, see you later.”

And they went off their own ways.

-

Hyejin dropped off at the nearby market. Moonbyul decided to help Wheein to clear up Yongsun’s place.

“Okay, I’ll shop for the ingredients. Once I’m done, I will call you.”

“Yeah, I should be able to head over here soon since it’s nearby Yongsun’s house.”

“Sure, I’ll see you later.”

“We can pick up Minhyuk later once you’re done.”

“Okay.”

So, Hyejin decided to walk around at the nearby supermarket. There was a traditional market that sells all sorts of side dishes and mouth-watering snacks. Wheein loves sundae and Hyejin ended up buying all sorts side dishes for Wheein. She realized Wheein’s fridge was almost empty.

Before she realized it, she had too much in her hands. And she had to drop by Wheein’s apartment to keep the side dishes in the fridge. She ended up texting Moonbyul that she would make her way to Minhyuk’s kindergarten later.

After getting the ingredients and some side dishes including snacks, Hyejin made her way back to Wheein’s apartment. She felt like she was the wife; ensuring her husband has the best of everything. Despite the pain in her heart not having Wheein fully, Hyejin was grateful that Wheein didn’t shy away from her.

This morning, on the bed; side by side with their foreheads glued together, Hyejin was elated when she saw a smile on Wheein’s face the moment she woke up in the morning. She heard Wheein’s sincerest confession but instead of hurting, Hyejin knew Wheein tried her best to try to bridge their hearts together.

She recalled this morning conversation.

“Don’t cry. Please, it’s okay for me. It’s fine like this. I’m really grateful that you’re not pushing me away anymore.”

“But I’m hurting you.”

“I abandoned you, Wheein. I ran away because I was a coward. I thought I was protecting you, but it all came to a null. So, if this is the punishment, he has laid out for me to get you back, then I’ll do it.”

“Please don’t say like that.”

“Fate has got all of us twisted in this story. You, me, Moonbyul and Yongsun-shi. The four of us are just inter-related and we just need to go through so much pain before we can be liberated.”

“This is just so sad.”

“Jung Wheein don’t worry so much about me. I loved you then, I still love you now. Nothing is going to change anything. I’m always here; always be there for you. And if one day you tell me that Minhyuk is going to be a part in our story, I’ll gladly accept it too.”

“Minhyuk is always going to be a part of my life.”

“Then he will be in mine too.”

“Thank you, Hyejin. Thank you for your patience and your understanding.”

“Just don’t think too much. I’m not going away now. Not anymore.”

-

Moonbyul took a deep breath as she stood outside Yongsun’s house. She might have been here once or twice, but she didn’t really step into the house; into Yongsun’s comfort home. She opened the door carefully and took a step into the house.

The interior was simple yet warm and cosy. She saw many photo frames on the shelve at the corner of the room. The cream colour of the walls made the house look brighter as the sunshine fell in through the windows. It was almost the same as the old house she used to share with Yongsun.

In fact, it all looked the same; almost similar. Moonbyul realized Yongsun hasn’t really walked away from their past. Their old sofa, cupboards and even dining table were present in this house. Nothing much was new; except for the electrical appliances.

Moonbyul walked into the master bedroom; their old bed was there. The bed where she used to share warmth with Yongsun; still stood in the middle of the bedroom. Moonbyul couldn’t help it but shed some tears as she ran her fingers along the satin bedsheet.

Then she looked up; she cried immediately. Their wedding photo that they took in Canada was proudly hanging above the bedframe. They were young and Yongsun was extremely beautiful in her white gown.

Moonbyul stared at their wedding photo; her heart ached, and she could her an inner voice chiding her for being stupid over the 5 years. She lost those 5 years and now; she struggled to get it back. Memories of their past came flooding into Moonbyul’s mind. And they were haunting her; torturing and tormenting her till no end.

Her hands trembled as she brushed her thumb gently over the photo; Yongsun’s cheeks to be exact. She remembered how Yongsun would smile at her; laugh at her jokes and get mad at her greasiness. She fell head over heels for this woman – Kim Yongsun, the love of her life.

She remembered the first time; the very first time when she uttered those 3 words to Yongsun. Her world opened and there was nothing but warmth in her heart despite the cold upbringing she had as a child.

-

Moonbyul was supposed to be a hardcore killer; cold-hearted and cruel woman who was seeking revenge for the death of her family members. But she came across a warm-hearted; adorable and kind woman instead.

Kim Yongsun could never be a killer’s daughter. Her father was supposed to be the worst man on this Earth, why was God so unfair for giving him a bubbly and beautiful daughter? This was just so mind-boggling.

But Moonbyul was focused. She needed to win over Kim Yongsun’s heart so that she could penetrate easily into her household and seek her revenge on Yongsun’s father. She was taught well so, she thought she wouldn’t fail.

She was so wrong. She fell in love. She fell so in love with Kim Yongsun.

The first time she was introduced to Yongsun, Yongsun was wearing a pink blouse with a long white skirt. She had the sweetest smile and she was so friendly. Instead of shaking Moonbyul’s hand, she came in and just pulled the taller woman into her embrace.

Yongsun hugged her warmly. And Moonbyul was bewildered at first but was compelled to return the hug despite being hesitant.

“Hi, I’m Yongsun.”

Yongsun’s smile was so bright that Moonbyul thought she was blinded by something. Few months down the road, Moonbyul realized something. She finally knew what blinded her.

Yongsun’s love.

Yongsun confessed to her that she was immediately attracted to Moonbyul at the first glance. She noticed Moonbyul at the carpark before they were introduced. That first impression was hitting on Yongsun well.

Soon, Moonbyul got comfortable and revenge was completely gone from her memory. She just wanted to be the best for Yongsun; she did all she could to impress Yongsun. She realized she didn’t have to. Yongsun was nursing her huge crush on her.

“So, you like me since then?”

Yongsun nodded shyly. Her hands clamped together as she timidly hid it under her cardigan.

“What’s so good about me that you like me then?”

“You look so smart; so good in your black pants and blue long sleeves shirt. You were serious at first; a little bit cold because when I smiled at you; you just ignored me and walked past me. I was a little crestfallen at first.”

“Oh? I’m sorry. I always looked like that.”

“I know. But as I got to know you better, you smile easily. But you can get really greasy after some time.”

“Hey, it took me awhile to be myself.”

“I know, Byul. I know you did. And I’m thankful that you’re opening bit by bit to me. You can take your time, Byul. I’ll wait until you open your heart fully to me.”

Moonbyul’s eyes watered. Nobody was willing to give her time; or personal space to allow her to grow on her own. All her life, she was forced to do things against her will. And that was what made her cold but not Yongsun. She was changing Moonbyul into someone else.

And Moonbyul’s heart fell easily. She was afraid of that feeling initially but after spending time with Yongsun; being with Yongsun gave her a chance to be a normal person; to live; to love and to be a human; a proper human to be exact. Even smiling now comes naturally for Moonbyul. She was always solemn and looking fierce for no reason.

Moonbyul knew her heart has fallen. And if she let Yongsun slip away from her tight grip, she would regret in the future. She knew she had to keep Yongsun by her side because there was no way she could give the woman up.

She leaned closer; pulled Yongsun by her waist and tightly wrapped her arms around Yongsun. She possessively held on to Yongsun; then gently gave a light peck on Yongsun’s forehead. The other was blushing like mad.

“I don’t know what you’re doing to me, but I know I have to make this happen before I lose you completely. I mean, if I don’t tell you this today, I might lose my chance totally. So, please listen to me carefully.”

Moonbyul’s deep gaze pierced into Yongsun’s. She smiled softly before she whispered.

“I love you. I love you so much. Be mine, Kim Yongsun. Let me rock your world.”

“You don’t have to ask. I’m yours, willingly.”

-

Yongsun’s plane has landed in Incheon International Airport. The business meetings went so well that they ended with a good note. The business partners were impressed with Yongsun and because of that trust and their good relationship with her father, she won most of the contracts and was set to let the operations roll in the next coming months.

She was probably going to fly in and out of Seoul to Singapore to oversee the operations and she needed Wheein’s expertise to draft out the legislation contract and disclaimers. But she didn’t text Wheein about her return. She knew Wheein would inform Moonbyul secretly if she did.

So, this time around, she returned quietly. She needed that time to think about things with Moonbyul. Her father had purposely pushed the operations to happen in another 6 months’ time so that his youngest daughter could settle her issues with her personal life.

“Appa?”

“I’ll oversee the operations for the meantime. You need to settle your personal issues before you can focus on your work. Once everything is okay, then you can take over from me.”

Thus, she returned to Seoul alone without informing anyone except for her mother. She had asked about Minhyuk and was told that Minhyuk is with Wheein. She took a cab back to her place; and the driver took the longer route home.

It didn’t matter to Yongsun; that would give her more time to herself. Because once she’s home, Wheein and especially Minhyuk might jump on her and ask a million questions.

The taxi driver managed to turn to an old familiar road. It was the same road that led to her old working place – the kindergarten; the place she met Moonbyul for the first time. It brought a lot of bittersweet memories for Yongsun.

She watched as the taxi drove past; the kindergarten was still functioning; kids were running around. Honestly, Yongsun missed her old job as a kindergarten teacher. But besides those memories as a kindergarten teacher, it also brought many dark memories for Yongsun in particularly; those years she spent as Moonbyul’s wife and how she had lived through the nightmare before Minhyuk came along.

-

It was a typical afternoon. Yongsun had returned from the hospital on her own. Things in the house had gone downhill. She had a blissful marriage for the first 6 months but after Moonbyul met some old friend, she came back as a different person.

Moonbyul suddenly didn’t want to be part of the family; she hated it when Yongsun brought up the matter of getting IVF to be pregnant. She would blow her top and sometimes she would hit Yongsun out of anger.

Sometimes it puzzled Yongsun but when she thought of Moonbyul as an orphan, she couldn’t bear to leave her. Moonbyul was a lonely person before she met Yongsun. Then one day, Yongsun suddenly realized that she didn’t really know about Moonbyul’s family. She only knew Moonbyul was an orphan. So, she decided to ask her wife about her family.

Things got worse after that. Moonbyul was spiteful; and at times, violent. She would push Yongsun harshly and storm out of the house each time that topic came up. Seems like whatever Yongsun said or asked; all those were just wrong or shouldn’t be allowed to be mentioned at all.

Yongsun was slightly depressed and Moonbyul started coming home later than she should. And Moonbyul would avoid Yongsun if there were family activities or events that they required to visit Yongsun’s parents. Her world got darker but Yongsun hid it from her family.

She always appeared joyful, smiling and somewhat happy each time she returned home to visit her parents and sister. They probably knew something but Yongsun was grateful that they never once invaded her privacy of her family issues.

Then one day, Yongsun fainted at school. Moonbyul had already left her kindergarten and had been working elsewhere. But she never told Yongsun anything about it. So, Yongsun’s colleagues rushed her to the hospital.

It was good news! Yongsun was finally pregnant. She was delighted and thankful for this little miracle to happen. She waited for almost a year and failed like at least 7 times before this little one decided to come into her life.

“This baby is due next year. I could deduce that the baby would be due in end February or early March.”

Yongsun smiled widely. This would be a perfect birthday gift for her if the pregnancy pulls through then. She couldn’t wait to share this good news with her wife. She returned home with a light-hearted feeling; she had to share this with Moonbyul.

But the moment she got home, Moonbyul was waiting for her on the sofa; fuming mad. Yongsun was late. She had gone home around 8 plus in the night; 3 hours late from her usual days.

“Where did you go?!”

“I’m sorry, I had to go ….”

Moonbyul cut her off.

“Stop going to your parents’ place! You have a home and it’s here with me!”

“What’s wrong with me visiting my parents?”

“I’m your wife! You’re mine now. You’re my responsibility! It’s no longer theirs!”

“But they are my parents. They brought me to this world. It’s right for me to visit them despite being married to you!”

Yongsun raised her voice and it was a big mistake. Moonbyul went into a rage and slapped Yongsun; hard on her cheek. Yongsun was left in a shock; tears fell but she couldn’t cry out. Her voice was lost and Yongsun could only stare on the floor while listening to Moonbyul’s harsh words.

Yongsun couldn’t understand what made her sweet, gentle Moonbyul to change so much. She couldn’t remember Moonbyul being violent; being vulgar and having such foul temper. She probably resented marriage now.

“Don’t ever go over to your parents’ house without my permission again!”

Moonbyul stormed off out of the house immediately, leaving Yongsun in tears as she clutched her stomach tightly. Her heart was breaking apart slowly.

-

“What?”

“Yeah, Yongsun should have reached Seoul now. I asked her to return home first.”

“Your meetings completed?”

“Yeah, oh by the way, can you help me with the necessary documentation? All the information is in the file. Yongsun should be meeting up with you soon.”

Wheein frowned; Yongsun didn’t mention about her flight today. She’s running away again.

“Okay, Uncle. I’ll catch up with her. You take care okay? Once the documentation is ready, I’ll fly in with Unnie to settle with your partners.”

“Thank you, Wheein. Once I come back, meet up with me for dinner. It has been so long since I had dinner with you.”

“Sure! Call me when you return.”

Wheein hung up and then grabbed her mobile. She dialled Yongsun’s number, but the phone went straight to the voice mail. She sighed. Yongsun must have deliberately turned her phone off to avoid her.

“What the hell are you thinking of, Unnie?”

She suddenly remembered she had left her key with Moonbyul. The woman was at Yongsun’s house to clean up the place. Her eyes grew bigger and she knew she had to head home immediately.

Things might get awry if Yongsun return with Moonbyul in the house.

“! I better go now.”

She got up from her seat and grabbed her handbag with car keys. She left a message for her PA to transfer all calls to her mobile. She would be working from home instead. She immediately got to the carpark and jumped into her car. She drove off immediately.

“God, please. Enough with heartbreaks. We all need our happy ending soon. Please don’t do this to us.”

Wheein prayed sincerely.

-

Hyejin waited under the big tree. Moonbyul had texted her earlier on that she couldn’t pick Minhyuk in time. The house was in a big mess so Hyejin offered to pick up the boy instead. She would go straight to Yongsun’s place later.

The school bell rang and Hyejin stood up. She strained her neck to keep a look out for the boy. Minhyuk might be expecting for his Moonbyul Noona. Fortunately, Minhyuk had noticed her from inside. He ran straight up to her and smiled widely. Hyejin was pleasantly surprised that the boy located her, and she felt warm inside. She somehow enjoyed waiting for Minhyuk.

“How did you know it’s me?”

“I saw you from my class. Minhyuk recognized Noona’s skin colour.”

Hyejin was tanned so she stood out among the mothers waiting around the school. Hyejin took his bag and then grabbed his tiny hand tightly. The pair went off; Hyejin suggested taking the subway. Minhyuk was hyped up. He rarely had chance to take buses or trains. Usually, he was picked up by cars.

“REALLY??!!”

“Yes, have you taken the train before?”

“Minhyuk took it ONCE! When Omma had to travel to Busan for business trip and nobody could look after me. Wheein Mommy was away. So, Omma took me with her; her car broke down, so we had to take the train.”

“So, only once?”

“Yeah, then most of the time, either Mommy or Omma would drive Minhyuk to school or home.”

The boy pouted.

“You’re like a little prince.”

“But Minhyuk is not! Sometimes Minhyuk wants to take buses or train home.”

“You should tell Moonbyul Noona to do that for you.”

“She would allow Minhyuk to take train or bus?”

“Of course, she would! It would be fun. But today, you will be riding the train with me.”

“YAY!”

Minhyuk held Hyejin’s hand tightly and swung their interlocked hands together. And he animatedly shared his day in school with Hyejin; the woman could only smile with her insides feeling fuzzy and warm.

This would probably how it felt to be a mother. You would wait for him to finish school and then head home together hand in hand. Minhyuk is a happy child. He loves to tell stories and his expressions are bright. And it made Hyejin happy. For some reason, she couldn’t wait to be a mother one day.

“Noona~”

“Yeah?”

“Are you going to marry Wheein Mommy one day?”

“Hm? What did you ask?”

“If Wheein Mommy marry you, then Minhyuk can get a little sibling to play with!”

Hyejin was taken aback; she stopped her tracks and turned to face Minhyuk. She then went on her knees and gently wiped Minhyuk’s perspiration away with a face towel.

“Why? Minhyuk is lonely?”

“No, Minhyuk is happy. But it will be fun to have a younger brother or sister to play with.”

“Your Mommy can give you one too.”

Minhyuk pouted and then shook his head.

“Minhyuk think Omma can never forgive Moonbyul Noona.”

Hyejin sighed. Even a child could see how broken Moonbyul’s relationship with Yongsun is. Nevertheless, she tried to cheer the boy up.

“Then let’s not stop praying that Omma will forgive your Noona soon.”

“Minhyuk wants to call Noona, Omma one day too. But Minhyuk scare Yongsun Omma will hate Minhyuk one day.”

“Nah, your Omma will never hate you. Your Omma loves you the most. Everything that has happened was because Omma wanted to protect you. Let’s give her time and I’m sure one day, you will be able to call Moonbyul Omma one day.”

“But Minhyuk still want a baby brother from Wheein Mommy.”

Hyejin smiled and then nodded reluctantly. Of course, she wanted that to happen to. She wants a family with Wheein one day.

“Me too, Minhyuk. I want a family with your Mommy too.”

Hyejin whispered softly while Minhyuk ran off to get himself a cold drink. But she was not going to be discouraged that easily. Even Minhyuk was rooting for her.

Only time could allow Hyejin to fulfil her dreams one day.

-

“Unnie!”

“Yeah?”

“Are you still at home?”

“I just finished clearing the rubbish; vacuumed and cleaned the house.”

“Wow, you’re efficient.”

“Are you checking on me or something?”

“No, listen! Yongsun unnie’s coming home today. Her plane has landed; I have checked her flight. It landed like a couple of hours ago. She should be coming home soon.”

“What? She’s coming home today?!”

“She didn’t inform me. She even turned her phone off.”

“So, should I leave? I mean, I don’t want to irk her.”

“What? No, don’t do that. We need to settle this once and for all. I have enough of dancing around the two of you. It can get really tiring at one time.”

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah.”

“Just listen to me. If she arrives, stop her from leaving. Do all you can to stop her.”

“What? It will infuriate her further.”

“Do you want her back or not?”

Moonbyul paused; of course, she does. But she didn’t reply to Wheein.

“I know you are afraid to offend Yongsun unnie but you need to put a stop to it. If she runs, you chase. If she fights, then you calm her down. The fire in her heart happened because of you so you should put it out.”

Wheein’s words made sense to her.

“Even if she hits or punches you, take it like a man. You owe her a lot of slaps and punches honestly.”

“I know.”

“So, are you listening to me? Stop her. I’m rushing back home now. Where is Minhyuk?”

“Hwasa is picking him up. She’s taking the train.”

“Oh good, that will take time for them to reach home. Now, do what I said. I’ll be back in 20 mins.”

Moonbyul recalled the call she had with Wheein earlier on. She had just finished clearing out the rubbish in the living room and kitchen when Wheein called. And the news she heard made her nervous.

She was supposed to hold on to Yongsun if she returns home. But how? How could she do it when Yongsun hates her to the core now?

IF she runs, you chase her.

But was Moonbyul strong enough to chase Yongsun?

What if her heart fails her again? What if her pride swallows her in and she would let Yongsun leave without words again?

She had done that TWICE.

Once bitten, twice shy.

But no, Moonbyul let her go two times. Once when she thought she was no good enough for Yongsun and the other when she felt that she was still not good enough to be with Yongsun and this time, Yongsun felt the same way.

No more stupidity, Moon Byulyi! Prove it or you will lose the third time forever.

She was determined to hold on.

And while she was contemplating in the living room; someone entered from the front door. She dragged her luggage in and was surprised when her door was unlocked.

“Wheein?”

She called out before she entered the living room.

But it wasn’t Wheein.

It was someone she loves and hates at the same time.

-