Overcast Clouds and Birds of a Feather

A Game of Chaos

 

                The two men sat on the small ledge while the downpour brought a torrent of rain down upon them; thunder boomed over head, the water level below rose steadily. Lightning crackled and struck a nearby dead tree, setting it alight. The two jumped and moved closer to each other, still panting heavily from the strenuous activity and the near death encounter. DongHae flipped his bangs out of his eyes, or attempted to anyway; his vision was rather compromised, the water beating down around them obscuring their vision. Another boom of thunder, and the rain fell harder; DongHae winced as the rain beat his skin raw, each drop stinging like he had been burned. The rain began to turn to hail, and the man next to him groaned in pain.

“We need to get out of the rain.” The man said.

“What?” DongHae yelled back, he couldn’t hear him over the sound of the rain.

“We need to get out of the storm!” The man repeated, shouting this time.

                DongHae nodded and struggled to get to his feet, the man beside him had managed to get to his feet first and offered DongHae a hand; the younger took the offered hand and the man pulled him to his feet. The water level crept upward and DongHae squinted as he struggled to follow the man ahead of him. The rocks underneath their feet were slippery, both men stumbled every two steps. The water slid off the wall above them; it created a miniature waterfall from the opening of the canyon that lay a few feet above their heads. The man in front slipped and nearly tumbled off the edge and DongHae barely managed to react in time to grab the man’s drenched navy blue shirt. The man blinked and peered over the edge, DongHae had caught him just before he fell, a second later and he would have been in the waters below. DongHae pulled the man back up and the man offered his thanks to the younger man; DongHae smiled and they continued onward, nearly breaking out into a full sprint as it began to hail golfballs. They arrived at a cave and immediately the two ran in, sheltering themselves from the violent and painful storm.

“Oww…” DongHae groaned as he cradled his right arm.

“You’re bleeding.” The other man pointed out, he pointed at DongHae’s forehead.

                DongHae brought shaky fingertips to his forehead, it was all sticky; he removed the hand and lightning flashed, illuminating the cave. His fingers were covered in red, his own blood; the younger man swore but couldn’t muster enough energy to care he simply flopped down onto the floor of the cave. The other man walked over to him and knelt down, observing the other’s head wound.

“Here, let me see what I can do.” The man spoke softly.

                DongHae sighed and let the man set to work, he brushed DongHae’s sopping wet bangs away from the wound; there was a small gash just under his hairline, the blood oozing from it had begun to drip down towards his eye. The man sighed and wet to rip off a piece of his shirt to attempt to dress the wound when he noticed the cut had begun to heal itself; the younger man hissed as the skin and tissue began to stitch itself back together. The sensation was odd but not as paingul as the mending of his ribs had been.

“What’s your name?” DongHae asked the man.

“Kim JongWoon, but you can call me Yesung everyone does.” The man replied with a smile.

                DongHae nodded and let himself fall backwards; he lay on his back on the cold stone floor, staring up at the ceiling. Yesung sat down next to DongHae and yawned loudly; he looked out at the pouring rain.

“And you?” Yesung asked after about a minute of silence.

                DongHae sat up and blinked.

“Excuse me what?” The fish asked.

“Your name, I told you mine. What’s yours?” Yesung repeated.

“Oh! DongHae! My name’s DongHae.”

                Yesung nodded, another clap of thunder boomed over them; DongHae shivered as his body heat left him. Lightning struck directly in the opening of the cave, striking a few small feet away from the men. Both yelped and jumped backwards, they exchanged fearful looks and huddled together as the storm raged on. DongHae was the first to fall asleep, the sound of the rain lulling him into dreamland. Yesung had much more difficulty; he was after all a light sleeper, the occasional clap of thunder would wake him abruptly from his dozing. DongHae snorted softly and adjusted so he was snuggling up against Yesung; the older male sighed and let the younger lay on him. The thunder ceased and Yesung found himself clocking out as well, succumbing to the dark abyss known as sleep. The sounds of birds chirping woke the sleeping pair, Yesung yawned and DongHae blinked awake; they looked over at each other and stared in shock. Somewhere in the course of the night they had wound up cuddling, laying in each other’s arms with their legs intertwined.

“What the ?!” They yelled in unison.

                They untangled themselves and scooted far away from each other; each staring at the other in shock.

“Umm…let’s pretend that didn’t happen.” Yesung suggested.

                DongHae nodded.

“Agreed.”The younger said.

                They awkwardly shuffled to the center of the cave, occasionally glancing at the other nervously.

“Look, the rain stopped.’ Yesung spoke up softly.

                The chirping of birds got louder and they looked at each other in surprise.

“Are those…birds?” DongHae asked, surprised.

“Sounds like it.” Yesung answered.

                The pair stood up and walked towards the opening of the cave; a clear lake had formed in the canyon, sunlight shone down on the water making it shimmer. Birds chirped from the trees lining the outside of the canyon; the whole landscape before them was postcard worthy. The tranquil and picturesque scenery seemed out of place in the hellish game but the men were thankful for some relief from the violence and gore they had witnessed. They allowed themselves to relax as the lake continued to shimmer in splendor.

“It’s so…pretty.” DongHae said with a smile.

“Yeah…”

                They stared off into the canyon, gazing at the beautiful scene; a small black bird landed on DongHae’s head and Yesung burst into laughter. DongHae hadn’t noticed the small creature’s presence and turned to face the laughing elder, bird still nestled comfortably in his hair.

“What?” DongHae asked.

                Yesung’s reply was more laughter and pointing at the younger’s head; DongHae glared as the elder laughed at him for no apparent reason. The younger male puffed out his cheeks in annoyance and the bird blinked at Yesung innocently; the combined expressions making the man fall over from laughing so hard. DongHae and the bird blinked in stereo, both tilted their heads to the left completely in sync with one another. Yesung howled with laughter.

“Hyung? Why are you rolling on the floor? What’s so funny?” DongHae asked, perplexed by the other man’s strange actions.

                The bird chirped, echoing the question’s sentiment; Yesung managed to suppress an unmanly giggle.

“There’s a bird in your haha, hair!” Yesung laughed.

“Huh? A what?”

                DongHae reached a hand up to his hair and his fingertips came in contact with the soft black feathers. The man yelped and shook his head violently, dislodging the poor little bird and sending it flying out of the man’s hair. The bird opened its wings to stabilize itself, chirping indignantly as it landed; the tiny creature glided down to DongHae’s feet and stared up at the two men.

“Daww! It’s so cute!” DongHae cooed.

                Yesung just snorted and the bird chirped in reply.

“Wait…it’s not gonna eat me is it?” DongHae asked.

                Yesung scoffed and the bird chirped angrily.

“Dude, the thing is the size of my fist, I DOUBT it can eat you.” Yesung remarked.

“Well for all you know it could grow HUGE and have sharp dinosaur teeth!” DongHae rebuked.

                Yesung laughed and the bird stared at DongHae incredulously; the tiny thing chirped and hopped closer to DongHae. The aforementioned man watched the bird hop closer to him, his eyes tracing the creature’s movements cautiously; he flinched as it opened its tiny wings and flew up to land on his shoulder. Yesung chuckled and observed the creature’s odd behavior, birds weren’t usually this friendly. The bird chirped happily and settled itself comfortably on DongHae’s left shoulder, looking like a little black feathered fuzz ball.

“Should we name it?” DongHae asked.

“I dunno….do you wanna keep him?” Yesung replied with a question of his own.

“Can we?”

“I don’t care….can we name it Ddankkoma? That was the name of my pet turtle back home…”

“No…too complicated, how bout….Chu?”

“Chu?”

“Yes, Chu! It’s cute like the name!”

“Mmm…..okay….”

                And thus the bird was christened “Chu”, the bird chirped in acknowledgement of its new name and the men resumed staring off into the canyon. The peaceful silence was broken by the sound of yells and explosions, a loud scream echoed down through the valley. DongHae’s eyes widened in panic, he recognized that scream; an explosion rocked the canyon and Yesung and DongHae exchanged fearful glances. Chu squawked from DongHae’s shoulder; another pained yell, and DongHae took off running in the direction of the screams.

“Wait! Where are you going?!” Yesung yelled, running after the younger.

“I have to help them!” DongHae replied.

                Yesung ran after the man, trying to catch up with the high stamina of the younger male.

“Wait up at least!” Yesung yelled.

“You’re coming too?” DongHae asked as he slowed his full sprint down to a jog.

“I’m not letting you go in there without back up.” Yesung said.

                They arrived at an opening of the canyon, and DongHae’s eyes widened at the sight before him; a broken “no…” escaping his lips. SungMin was hunched over panting heavily, blood pouring from the side of his face, cradling his abdomen which held a nasty gash in it. Henry lay on the floor, drenched in blood, unmoving. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Omo! Hey guys, so that's chapter 10! Hope you liked it, so only like 2 of you got it right although everyone wanted Hyukkie the man was actually Sungie! hehehe, what do you think? What happened to Henry and Minnie? And what about the adorable little bird Chu! Shooooo cute hehehehe. Hopefully the adorableness of Chu will make up for my ending of the chapter....if not....I MIGHT want to start running away from the angry mob that I am almost positive is forming with Triple C and Dobu at the head of it. Hehe...umm...yeah...I'm gonna run now before you gather the pitchforks and flaming torches. Love your faces even if you try to kill me! <3

~Key