Why I Hate Pancakes

Why I Hate Nice Boys

“—for getting her”

Light. Too much light.

“She told me she had plans—I didn’t know that meant she was going out by herself.”

My head. Was I hit by a truck. That would probably hurt less.

“No problem bro. I don’t really know her but she sounded…not ok.”

A quilt. I don’t own a quilt. It’s warm. I’ll just…stay here…

“She’s a good girl. But ever since our friends left she hasn’t been quite the same.”

“Totally get it—“

“No like, a really good girl. If you know what I mean.”

“…maybe?”

"he must have slipped her a roofie...there's just no other explanation for her to black out like that"

Those voices sound familiar. Especially one of them. Sam?

I shot straight up. Oh my god. My head.

“Hey!” he ran into this bedroom and put his hand behind my back. His tie is all undone.

“Red today,” I muttered pulling on it.

“What?”

“Where’s my phone?”

“What?” he laughed. 

“Her phone is in the kitchen.” A voice said from behind. Sam stepped back and there he was. Lashes/flower boy/Vernon/Hansol <3. Leaning casually against the frame. Hair stuffed under a beanie, curling up at the ends. White small v neck and pink penguin pajama pants. He looked

“—hot.”

Sam laughed. “Ok Ellie, let’s lay back down.” He slowly lowered me to the bed. “I’ll get your phone.” 

Lashes came and stood over me. He was biting his lips, crossed arms.

“So…” he started, “everything ok?”

“I think so?”

“My mom made me that quilt you know. So please don’t puke on it.”

Sam returned with my phone.

“Um…so…I couldn’t find you. I may have messaged Kimmy. I’m sorry.”

3% left and over 500 messages. Mainly caps lock and frowny faces from what I could see.

Lashes slid the phone from my hand. There’s that spark down my spine again. Crap. He plugged it into a charger.

“I’m so glad you’re ok Ellie,” Sam leaned over and gave me an awkward hug that I couldn’t return from my position.

“Yeah…” 

He turned to Lashes. “Thank you again.” He put out his hands and they did a bro hug. “Um…do you mind watching her until I get back from work?”

“I can watch myself!” I started up again. The closet spun. I laid back down.

“Yeah no problem,” he responded.

“Cool. And Ellie, if you need anything, let me know. I’ll bring it for you after work.”

He is nice. So. So. Nice.

“Ok, thanks.”

I would never ask him for anything.

One more goodbye before hearing a door close.

An awkward silence.

“So…your name is Ellie?” 

“Elena. Yeah.”

“I like Converse better,” he smirked. I smiled too, which hurt my head. Everything hurt my head.

“What happened last night?” I asked. He sat on the edge of the bed. “Um…well…you drank something. And then you passed out. And Seungkwan and I brought you back to my apartment.”

“Seungkwan?”

“Oh yeah, my friend. He’s still asleep. On the couch,” he said motioning towards the door.

Our hands were really close together. Both playing with strings on the quilt.

“Oh and…my name is Hansol. Or Vernon. Whichever.”

“I like Lashes better.”

“What?” he laughed.

Oh my god. “Nothing. Um. Nice to meet you…Vernon.”

He smiled. 

“Just because you saved me or whatever does not mean I will give you free English lessons.”

“Oh my gosh I don’t need English lessons!” He stood up incredulously.

“I’m kidding I’m kidding.” I put my hand over my eyes. “Nothing I could do would help anyway.”

“Oh my gosh I’m American! My English is good!”

“You speak English well.”

“Yeah…that.” He smirked.

“So…um…” he adjusted his beanie. “I’m making pancakes. Do you want one?”

“No, I’m fine thanks.” My stomach grumbled. Damn it body.
“One or two?” he grinned.

“Two…” I put my face in my hands. 

“I’ll make you three.” He turned out of the room smiling. 

I sat up and leaned against the wall. The room was plain, with just the one bed. The only hint of home being this quilt. Either he is a very boring person, or this isn’t where he spends most of his time.

“Oh hey dude good to see you’re awake.” 

Through the open door I saw another figure stride into the kitchen and open the fridge. Mumbling. They’re not speaking English. 

I threw off the quilt. I was still in my little black dress. Glitter had rubbed off and was spread all over the white sheets. A little extra glitter never hurt anyone.

I slid out of the bed…barely touching the floor. I grabbed my phone. A solid 10 seconds of scrolling.

 

Elena: I’m fine guys

Hampton: SKJFJSFK SHE’S ALIVE PRAISE EVERY GOD THERE IS

Sav: omg ellie you had us so worried

Hampton: where are you now? what are you doing? who are you with?

Elena: actually…remember that Hansol guy? He brought me to his apartment. I’m here now. He’s making me breakfast…

Hampton: KSJFDFHDK

Sav: SDFJKSDFLKSD

Kimmy: lol

Sav: DID YOU EVER WATCH THE VIDEOS I SENT YOU

Kimmy: glad to hear everything turned out well for you

Elena: Actually…I didn’t. I forgot.

 

A tap at the door. 

“Hey—“ He came in and immediately averted his eyes to the floor. I pulled my dress down. “Um…I made some you pancakes. I mean. Pancakes made. I mean.” He removed his beanie and put it back on again. “I promise I speak English.”

“Do you have any more pajamas…by any chance?” He’s so damn precious.

“Yeah,” he came over to his drawers and pulled out a matching pair, careful not to touch me.

“Couple penguin pants! How cute.”

“Yeah…Jeonghan…my friend…thought it would be funny.” A moment of silence. “I’ll set the table.”

I changed and joined them at a little table beneath a window. Another boy was sitting there scrolling through his phone. 

“Oh, Ellie this is Seungkwan. Seungkwan this is Ellie.” The boy stood up and turned around, he himself in yellow penguin pants. “Hello my name is Seungkwan I’m from Jeju.” He did a little bow and I returned it.  Something about him reminds me of Hampton but I can’t tell what. 

I sat down across from Vernon. In the center was a vase with a real live flower, a pile of pancakes, and even butter.

“I feel like I’m in America.”

“Yeah, my mom brings stuff over every once in a while.”

Seungkwan gave a sassy smile and grabbed a pancake.

“Oh, um…you speak Korean right?” Vernon asked.

“Yeah. Well, I’m going to classes.” I grabbed one too.

“Ok cool. Joshua is American too, but everyone else speaks only a little English.”

“Everyone else?” I said buttering. 

He took a bite of his pancake. “Um yeah so…just so you know…my friends are coming over today. Wonwoo is going through a hard time and since we don’t have a schedule today I told them we could meet at my place. He was actually going to spend the night too but then…you happened.”

My heart sank. “Oh my gosh I’m sorry. You know I didn’t mean to call you right?”

“I figured. But, I’m glad you did,” he blushed.

Seungkwan cleared his throat.

“So yeah they’ll be here any minute.” 

I swallowed hard. “I’m so sorry I’ll change and leave immediately.”

Surprisingly it was Seungkwan who reached over and pushed me down. “It’s ok. Stay.”

There was something so sincere in the way he said it, I wanted to hug him. But also I’m definitely still hungover, which may have something to do with it.

“Ok,”I took another bite and winced. With every movement of my jaw, a sear of pain ran up ran up to the crown of my head. 

“Hey, it’s ok if you can’t eat. Seungkwan will finish them,” Seungkwan sent him a stabbing glare.

“What, it’s true.”

“Thanks,” I said, “I think I’m just going to go lie down for a little while more, and then I’ll leave.”

“Whatever you want to do, just don’t leave because of us.” He looked so…real. Like he meant every single word he spoke, with zero sarcasm or guile. How can someone be so…soft.

“Thanks,” I whispered on the verge of tears. Yep definitely still not ok.

I went to stand up when suddenly the door barged open and hit the wall. A boy with brown hair to his shoulders strode in and threw a magazine on the pancake platter, knocking the vase over.
“What the hell is this.”

On the cover was a boy in pink penguin pajamas carrying a scantily clad girl very much not conscious through dark litter covered streets. 

The headline:

“Seventeen’s Vernon Not so Nice”