Why I Hate Mansae

Why I Hate Nice Boys

He looked at the ground and blushed.

“I…forgot to grab my wallet…” he whispered.

I’m fairly certain if this kid had a tail, it would be down between his legs and he’d be whimpering. Puppies. My weakness. Damn it.

I sighed and returned up the stairs. The train had left and the platform was empty.

He looked up with surprised eyes, those stupid lashes gracing the top of his eyelid. Why is he like this. Why am I like this.

“I just HAPPEN to have 100 won.” I handed it over to him.

He took it from my palm and smirked—not grateful, but like he had won. He hadn’t won anything. I had won. I’m the good person here. He’s a stupid kid with attachment issues.

We waited for the cup to fill in silence, and he pulled it out. Steam rose, but almost disappeared immediately in the cold.

“Here,” he said handing it to me, “drink it while it’s still hot.”

It warmed my hands and while I had lent him the money to buy it, I couldn’t help but smile. He smiled back and straightened up.

We headed down the stairs to the station. We. I consciously chose to walk next to him. How did this happen. Any minute now he’s going to ask for my number and which times I’m available for an “exchange.” 

“Look, I’m grateful for the tea, but I really  have to go.”

“Yeah me too,” he said putting his fingers in his hair, “I’m already 30 minutes late.”

I coughed on my sip burning my throat.

“Wait what?”

“Let’s just start over.” He put his hand out as if to shake it, but I grasped the cup tightly.

“No, I’m not giving you free English lessons. Despite how nice and attractive you are,” wait where did that come from damn you mouth. He just smirked. I hid behind another sip of tea.

“I told you, I don’t want that. I don’t want English lessons. Though I know a couple of people who dearly need it…”

“I’m not teaching them either”. We stopped at the transfer gate.

“No, I just wanted you to know that I’m not a…whatever…and that I talked to you because I think you’re really pretty.” I blushed. Stupid stupid stupid. 

He swung his arms in a circle, saying "Mansae Mansae mansae..."  What the hell. He looked expectantly, wriggling his brows like I was supposed to react. He’s cute, but crazy. Which makes my life overall easier.

“Nothing?” he said putting his fingers down blushing. 

I tossed back the last sip of tea in response scalding my throat.

“You seriously don’t know who I am?”

“Am I supposed to?” I said scrunching the paper cup into my pocket. Why there aren’t any trash cans in Korea is a question on the world’s greatest mysteries list. He had a string of hair sticking out. It looks so soft. Touch it. Just once. No Ellie. He may be crazy but touching a strangers hair is even more against social protocol than this conversation already is.

“—name?”

“What?”

“ your name…what is it?” he laughed.

I pulled out my phone. 16 messages from the group chat and another from Mom, and it’s only 5:26. I had 4 minutes to ditch this kid and catch the next train.

“I’m not telling—“

He snatched the phone from my hand.

“What the - are you crazy? Give that back to me,” I said jumping, but he held it high above his head, scrolling through its contents. 

“That’s my—“

“So you like SHINee huh?” he smirked looking down. 

Damn it.

“Your home screen is really nice. I have a friend who likes them as well.” 

He scrunched his eyebrows, “wow…you have a lot of nice screenshots...”

“Stop scrolling through my photo roll and give me back my phone or I’ll—“

“call the police?” he wiggled my phone above him.

I slapped his chest and he winced.

“You don’t have kakao?” he grinned.

I stopped jumping and I swallowed deeply. Trigger. No. This is just a boy you met on the subway Ellie it’s fine.

“I—deleted it.”

“Oh…” he could tell he touched a chord

“—memories.”

A few seconds pause. Maybe he’ll just give it back. I had like 2 minutes now maybe.

“Well good thing I have a real phone number.”

He made a duck face, snapped a selfie, and entered his number.

“I’m just going to delete it”. I realized I had given up jumping and was instead looking up it him. He had a baby face and yet, still a jawline. Stop Ellie. Stop.

“I don’t think you will,” he smiled.

He took my hand and placed my phone inside. A shiver through my spine. Crap. 

“Your name is Hansol <3?” I said looking down. I knew it. He was Korean. American my .

“I’m not interested in a one night stand or English lessons so I’m deleting this now” 

He nodded his head to something behind me and I turned. What the hell is that. A giant billboard took up an entire section of wall. A boy, who looked strangely like this puppy flower player Hansol <3 from Hongdae smiled seductively. On the board was written, “Happy Birthday Hansol” and “February 18”

“haha very funny,” and I turned around.

But he was gone.