Why I Hate Fast Pace

Why I Hate Nice Boys

“Guys listen up!” Seungcheol clapped.

Hoshi whistled.

“There you go Chan, now try one more time,” Sam encouraged Dino.

Suddenly the screen went black and Seungcheol held up the tv plug.

A bunch of sad sighs and complaints.

“Guys, we have a  small crisis,” he said. 

“What, you lost your eyeliner?” Jeonghan shot from left field.

Everyone laughed.

What a savage.

“No. We were caught again. Tomorrow’s a holiday, so the girls outside are going to be outside for a long time.”

The sink in the kitchen as Mingyu started on the dishes.

“Maybe we should stop meeting at Vernon’s apartment…” Jun said, half to himself.

“Maybe we should stop meeting them altogether,” Jeonghan responded.

A chorus of heys, stops, wtf man.

“Just saying,” he put his arms up.

Joshua was looking at Jeonghan with a sad look. Like a puppy who had just had his tail stepped on. I went to grab his hand before stopping myself. Damn it. This is so hard.

“No, they’re just going to have to spend the night,” he said. “The math is like this. We have one bed and one couch. Let’s play a game to see who gets them. Everyone else on the floor.”

 

Chan collected the video game controllers and threw them behind the tv. He’s ready for this.

 

“I have a better idea,” Joshua stepped forward. Actually speaking over everyone else for once. 

“There are two girls. They get the bed and the couch. The rest of us play a game for who gets to sleep on the carpet bedroom, and who has to sleep in the living room.”

 

Seungcheol looked ashamed that he hadn’t thought of this first.

Wow. 

I picked a good…boyfriend? Whatever he is. I picked a good one

“So what’s the game then?” Minghao asked.

“How about a talent contest?” Seungkwan said as he came out of the bedroom. “Ellie and Sav can judge seeing as they already have places to sleep.”

“How about this,” I butted in, “Sav and I can share the bed. We’ve done it since preschool. We’ll choose the best talent. He’ll get to sleep on the couch and the worst talent…has to sleep in the bathtub.”

Mingyu came into the living room.

Of the other 13, the top six sleep in the living room, and the bottom seven in the kitchen.”

"What about the bedroom?” Sam said.

“They’re girls, they need a bedroom to themselves,” Joshua said.

“Thank you for explaining,” I smiled.

“Wow Ellie, you’re cruel,” Hampton said.

“I like it,” Seungcheol clapped his hands together.

 

They got five minutes to set up their talent. 

“You don’t have to choose me, if you don’t want,” Joshua said. “Be fair.”

He’s such an angel I can’t.

“Well, if you do my favorite talent, I can’t help it,” I said, trying to convey meaning.

 

He smiled and left to get the guitar.

 

Meanwhile Sav and I found paper, drew numbers 1-10 and moved the coffee table in front of the couch. We’d add the two scores.

 

Seungcheol went first. He rapped, unsurprisingly. His special talent being that it was from the new album. Without anything to compare it to, I gave him a solid 7. Sav did as well.

 

Next was Hampton. “I don’t really have any performing talents,” he began. “BUT, I can organize the gaming system system in less than two minutes,” he said pointing to the mess that was the TV. We set a timer on my phone and watched his hands fly through the cables from multiple gaming systems, untangling them all and wrapping them up neatly. He sprayed the TV with windex, cleaned all the controllers with wipes, and scooped out the chip crumbs and ran them to the garbage. Everyone cheered him on. When time was up, the TV looked spotless.

“This is the kind of talent that will get you a boyfriend,” Sav said, putting up an 8.

Knowing that cleaning may be his only actual talent, I also gave him a 8.

 

Next was Sam. “Well, I was going to show you some gaming skills, but since Hampton cleaned it up already, I feel bad.” Everyone pretended to be sad for him. “So instead, I’ll use my impromptu skills to show you a different one.” He disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a gallon of milk.

No. He isn’t.

“Set the timer.”

Everyone watched in fascination as he chugged the entire gallon. I put my head in my hands, knowing the digestion consequences he was going to face later for this.

Everyone cheered, and Seungcheol gave up defeat.

“Great now I can’t make waffles in the morning,” Mingyu said and everyone laughed. But he was being completely serious.

“Anyone can learn that talent,” I said remembering when he did that on a weekly basis at fat camp. I gave him a 5, much to everyone’s disappointment.

“Well I’m impressed.” Sav gave him an 7.

 

“This game is silly. I abstain from participating,” Jeonghan said from the doorway.

Everyone booed him and Joshua looked so hurt. My poor baby it’s ok.

We both had to give him 1s, but only because we hadn’t made zeroes.

 

Joshua, still looking hurt, sat on the table next to me, and began singing. 

~Sunday morning rain is falling~ strumming softly on his guitar.

Everyone booed. 

“You always sing that song!” Woozi yelled from the corner.

I gave him a 10. 

Boys and guitars ok. I can’t help it.

Woozi rolled his eyes.

“You’re so biased,” Sav said, giving him a 7.

If the boys don’t know about us by now, then they are denser than diamonds.

 

Next was Jun.

“Oh my god, he looks exactly like Xing,” Sav said in awe.

He came up, and staring directly at Sav, started rolling his body in unnatural and very ual ways, and then he was suddenly doing them on the floor.

Oh my god. I’m blushing.

Seungcheol ran forward and grabbed him before he could continue, and a bunch of other members picked him up scolding. 

He just smiled.

Without saying anything straight faced, Sav just held up a 10. 

I gave him an 8. 

I’d never seen anyone do anything like that before. Especially to a floor.

“You’re so biased,” I said to Sav. She just shrugged her shoulders.

 

Not to be outdone, Hoshi came forward. He started dancing as well, moving his arms and legs tightly and more in sync than I can even walk. He jumped up on the table and suddenly he was across from Sav, legs on either side of her.

Holy .

Everyone screamed and came running forward as he put her arms on either side of her face, locking eyes and doing things on her lap.

Oh my god.

Seungcheol rushed forward and grabbed him off yelling, along with 5 other members. But it wasn’t easy to get him off.

Where’s Wonwoo?

I looked over and he was intently writing something on his hands, ignoring the situation completely.

They ripped Hoshi off and he turned into little hamster Hoshi laughing uncontrollably.

Sav however, had been very affected. She grabbed my one and her one and put them together. 

She’s so predictable.

My turn.

“I feel a little left out not gonna lie…” Hoshi his y eyes and strode towards me and I put my knees up protecting myself laughing.

He isn’t really. 

Is he?

Joshua jumped forward and pushed him off while the other members pulled and he eventually gave up.

I gave him an 8. For effort.

 

Wonwoo stepped forward looking at the ground, as if completely oblivious to the chaos that just occurred.

“I started a song. Just now,” he mumbled.

Sav stared at her fingernails.

He looked down at his hands and started singing

“Yeah yeah yeah yay wo

You’re going too fast baby

I don’t know what’s wrong baby

You’re going too fast baby”

He abruptly stopped.

“…that's it? Jeonghan asked.

A chorus of shut ups and wtf man.

“I like it,” Woozi said stepping forward. “We can go somewhere with this.”

“It’s amazing Wonwoo,” I said holding up a 9. 

Truly, it takes a lot of talent to make up a song on the spot, let alone have it be about something…close to you.

“and Sav?” Hampton leaned in.

She held up a paper that had been in her hand before he even started singing.

“a 10!!???” everyone yelled.

Sav finally looked at him and smiled a bit. Wonwoo blushed and bowed.

“Is he tied with me?” Hoshi asked. 

“I believe he is,” Hampton smiled at Sav. 

She resumed inspecting her nails.

 

Woozi was next. 

He stared at me.

And then he stared at Joshua.

Is he threatening me.

The little punk.

I will NOT be blackmailed.

He took the guitar out of Joshua’s hands and sat on the edge of the coffee table.

“I’m going to add to Wonwoo’s song,” he said.

You and I, us two

Going we’re going, you and I, us two

Going we’re going, like this, us two

Going we’re going ooh uh

You and I, us two, going

“That’s it?” Jeonghan asked. Minghao slapped his head.

“I expect this song on the next album,” Sav said holding up a 10. 

Woozi looked at me. Daring me to give him anything but a 10. He looked at Joshua, sitting behind me. I heard him laugh and whisper, “go ahead.”

Seriously though Joshua’s song affected me a lot more than this one did. But no one could know that.

I sighed and held up a 10.

 

Minghao hopped up before Woozi had even given the guitar back. He rolled around on the floor, flipping over his head, going up into handstands and artfully crumpling back down and into another move. His movements are mesmerizing.

What the f- how can everyone be so talented.

Sav and I both gave him 8s.

 

Mingyu came to us. 

Is he going to pull fresh cookies out of his pockets? 

I wouldn’t feel guilty about serving that 10.

Instead he told Joshua to move and sat on the top of the couch behind me. He proceeded to take my hair and pull it through his fingers.

“Because your hair only goes to your shoulders, we can’t do anything crazy.”

Is he doing my hair.

“You know, if you dyed it black your eyes would stand out more,” he said twisting it up to the top of my head.

“Her eyes stand out plenty,” Vernon said from across the room.

What the f-. Where did he come from.

“I said more,” 

He continued to explain the technique.

He can do this all night.

This is amazing.

Sav looked on with a pout.

Hampton and Seungkwan were chatting in the corner.

I like where that relationship is going.

Wait.

Vernon and Seungkwan.

What was Joshua talking about.

I must know.

Mingyu pulled my hair up in a complicated knot and somehow secured it on itself.

He took his phone out of his pocket and showed me in the reflection.

Everyone ooohhhd and awwwwd.

Wow.

That’s better than anything I could ever do.

Woozi glared at me again. So what if I give him a 10 little pink child. So what if I do.

“I’ll give you a 10 if you promise to do mine later,” Sav smirked.

“Done,” he bowed.

She held up a 10.

What to do what to do.

“I’m grateful for the hair-do Mingyu, but honestly, anyone can learn to do hair.” 

I gave him a 9.

Woozi clapped his hands in victory and Mingyu shuffled away pouting.

 

Seokmin and Seungkwan came up in a duo.

They decided to to an improv duet and asked Sav for a topic.

“Mingyu’s chicken,” she said. Everyone laughed.

They started chicken—chicken—chicken—chicken—harmonizing four times.

“Break it down,” Seungkwan said in English and proceeded to use all of his English skills.

“Mingyu cooks every day, 

Wears clothes like ahjumma”

Seokmin butted in

“Food is like heaven

잘 먹겠습니다.”

They laughed too hard to try anymore.

Sav gave them a 9, but only because they laughed too hard to finish. I played it safe and gave them a 9 too. They were laughing too hard to care.

 

Hansol’s turn.

What’s he going to do?

He concerns me.

Is he going to show what shampoo he uses?

Please do.

He looked square at me, completely serious. 

Those lashes.

He leapt on the coffee table, twirled around like a f- ballerina and suddenly

“Baby you are my ANGELLLLL” he screamed flapping his arms and jumping off, voice cracking.

Mingyu crumpled to the ground and pounded the floor laughing. Vernon just stayed down there under the coffee table laughing silently. Everyone else hit each other or themselves, cracking up.

Why is he like this.

“I’ll give you an 8, for effort,” Sav said through coughs.

“I’ll agree with that,” I said wiping away my tears.

He looked at me and smiled. The smile from on the subway all those weeks ago. The one that makes me hate him.

 

It took a good 5 minutes for the room to recover from Vernon’s show. 

Finally we sobered up enough for Chan.

He pulled a top hat out from under his , threw it on, and said, “I call this one, Zero.”

He proceeded to dance and sing, Michael Jackson style.

Everyone clapped along.

“Why don’t you guys work this hard when we’re at the company,” Woozi complained.

8s from both of us.

“The same as Vernon’s DK impression??” he asked offended.

I changed mine to a 9.

 

We stayed up a little while more, watching DK do impressions and Seungkwan freestyle rap and just overall enjoy each other’s company, squished into this tiny living room. Joshua took the first opportunity to jump down off the top of the couch and squeeze in next to me. He grabbed a pillow that had been thrown on the floor, put it on my lap, and slid his hand into mine underneath. No tingles—just warmth and correctness. 

Everything about right now is perfect.

Wonwoo went and sat on the couch arm next to Sav. He asked her questions about LA and her family. If it weren’t for the fact that he was wringing his hands and bouncing his knees nonstop, he would almost appear chill.

I accidentally yawned.

“Ok everybody, Elena’s tired. Time for bed,” Joshua stood up and offered his hand.

“No, I’m not tired,” I yawned again.

“Yes you are,” he smiled. 

I am whatever you tell me to be let’s be honest.

It was past midnight so we decided to turn in anyway.

Sav and I went to the bedroom while Jun, Hoshi, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Seungkwan, and Seokmin laid on the living room carpet and Seungcheol, Sam, Hampton, Joshua, Vernon and Chan grabbed blankets from the closet and spread them out on the hard kitchen tile. Woozi promptly flopped on the couch, while Jeonghan argued with Seungcheol about where he was going to sleep.

"I am NOT sleeping in the bathtub,"

"Hey you're the one that decided to not play," Seungcheol laughed.

 

“Goodnight,” Joshua whispered as I opened the door. He gave me those eyes and a soft smile. 

Nothing else could happen, though we wanted it to.

Or at least I did.

 

“You guys are disgusting you know,” Sav said as we climbed into bed.

“Sorry not sorry,” I laughed.

“You’re pretty cute though not going to lie,” she sighed.

“What about you and Wonwoo?” I asked cuddling close to her. 

Just like elementary school. And middle school. And high school.

“I don’t know Ellie,” she began, “he’s…moving too fast for me.”

I got up on my elbows. The moonlight peeked through the blinds putting lines of light across the bed. “You dated Xing for three days, asked him to prom, and had with him on the beach that night. And you’re saying WONWOO is moving to fast???”

Seriously this girl.

“You know what I mean,” she turned over.

“No…I don’t actually…”

“I’m not you Elena,” she sighed. “Emotions and feelings don’t…impact me like they do you. I’m purely physical.”

“Oh please,” I smacked her arm. “You’re a human being. Not a dog in heat.”

“Yeah,” she whispered.

We’re both thinking the same thing. About the soldier. Back home. 

“You ok?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Good night Ellie,” she whispered and turned over.

 

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

a/n that moment when a couple writes itself and you consider changing the entire plot line to keep them together