7

Lee Saerin, the new maid

 

The next day, the same thing happened except now it was my turn to help the twins get dressed. Kwangmin went to Youngmin's room and I handed them both their school uniforms, clean from the dryer.

 

"Gomawo," they said together. I smiled and nodded and headed out. I ate my breakfast with my unnies and we all said bye to the twins. My tutoring began today and I was a bit anxious. The last time I went to school was 4 years ago, meaning I never got to go to highschool. Catching up was going to be tough.

 

The day passed quickly when I was cleaning around and soon the twins returned home. "Welcome back, Youngmin and Kwangmin." We all bowed. I was finally starting to get the hang of when to say what and what to say. They nodded at us and headed upstairs. I got the snacks prepared and brought it to them.

 

"Youngmin-ssi, your snacks are ready." I said and placed it on his desk.

 

"You know we're beginning tutoring today?" he said, looking up from his school work. I nodded. "Good. My father has prepared some workbooks for us. How much do you know? Like grade level wise."

 

"I never started highschool so 9th grade?" I said. Youngmin nodded and thought.

 

"Okay that's fine. The workbooks start from ninth grade so we'll see what you remember." I nodded again and headed out. Next, I went to Kwangmin's room and gave him his snacks.

 

"Tutoring begins today you know? Are you excited?" Kwangmin smiled at me.

 

"Sure?" I gave him a small smile.

 

"I'll teach you the best I can, okay? Hwaiting!" he did a small fist pump. I giggled and did a fist pump too.

 

An hour or so later, I went to Youngmin's room to begin my tutoring. "I'm ready." I said and sat down in the chair next to him.

 

"No you're not." Youngmin said simply.

 

"Oh.. I'm not? Is it because I don't have a pencil or something? Sorry, I didn't buy any for myself because I was too--" he cut me off.

 

"No it's because I can't take you seriously in your maid outfit! Take it off and change into something more... Normal." Youngmin said.

 

"Uh... Okay?" I went to my room to change. I wore my old, worn out jeans and a cami with my old red plaid shirt over. "Is this better?" I asked as I walked into his room. He shrugged as he stared at me.

 

"Remind me to take you shopping sometime." he said bluntly. "Anyways, let's begin. 9th grade science is Biology. What do you know about it?"

 

"Absolutely nothing." I answered.

 

"Okay then..." He flipped open the workbook and began to explain all the terms to me and what they were. I learned about autotrophs and heterotrophs and basic things. When that was over, he taught me some history of random things about Korea and I took lots or notes in the notebook he gave me. Our session was over soon and so I went to Kwangmin's room.

 

He gave me a stare at first and then smiled, patting the seat next to his. I sat down and he ruffled my hair. "You look cute, but why aren't you in your maid outfit?"

 

"Youngmin made me change. He said he couldn't take me seriously." I said. Kwangmin nodded.

 

"Alrighty then, let's begin!" He started to show me terms and taught me some basic theorems and postulates for geometry like the addition postulate, subtraction postulate, etc. Then, Kwangmin showed me how I would solve a proof and showed me how it looked. Again, I took a lot of notes and thanked him when it was over. Both tutors assigned the first lesson to me so I had homework to do that night, but first, us maids had to cook dinner. I ran to my room to change back into the maid outfit and went to help out in the kitchen. As I served the Jo family their dinner, Youngmin spoke up. 

 

“Just so you know, I’m taking you shopping tomorrow. It’s Saturday so I’ll take you after lunch?” he said. I looked at Mr. and Mrs. Jo and they were just smiling at me. I wondered sometimes if they were just overly happy about everything... 

 

“Alright. Thank you for the offer, but I don’t have any money...” I said. 

 

“No problem. I can pay.” Youngmin said, “I have a credit card you know.” 

 

“But I--- I don’t want you to use your money on me.” I said. 

 

“It’s fine, right dad?” Youngmin looked at his father. Mr. Jo just nodded and ate his food. I sighed. 

 

“Okay. Thanks again.” 

 

“No problem,” Youngmin smiled. It caught my be surprise because he never smiled at me besides that first day. Plus, his smile seemed genuine. I smiled back at him and felt a little bubbly inside. 

 

“Hey hyung, can I come?” Kwangmin asked. 

 

“Why?” Youngmin seemed to grow a little colder.

 

“I want to go shopping with you guys. It sounds like it will be fun. Plus, I want to get a new pair of pants. Come on, hyung, let me come.” Kwangmin gave a kiddish whine. Youngmin sighed and shook his head. 

 

“Fine you can come.” Youngmin said. 

 

“Yay! Thanks hyung.” Kwangmin smiled. 

 

I left the dining room and headed into the kitchen where the other maids were waiting, in case anyone needed anything. “Yah!” Jiyune said to me once I entered. “Neo jookgeullae?!” She came at me. 

 

I blocked my face. “Ahh wae wae wae?! What did I do?!?!?” 

 

“You get to go shopping with the Jo Twins!!!” Soyeon pouted. 

 

“Oh... That...” I said quietly. 

 

“Yeah that! Why are you so lucky girl?!” Jiyune yelled. 

 

“I don’t know! I just.. He asked me okay? Please don’t kill me...” I shut my eyes. 

 

“We won’t kill you. Don’t worry. But we are going to spy.” Minji made an evil face. 

 

“Mwo? Spy?” I asked. 

 

“Mhmm. You won’t even know we’re there, but we are going to be.. so watch out.” Minji did that ‘I’m watching you’ thing with her fingers. I gave her a weird look and nodded. 

 

“Be prepared for us.” Soyeon laughed. 

 

“Okay....”