14

Lee Saerin, the new maid

 

Youngmin’s POV:

 

I saw Saerin standing on a step on the stairs with eyes wide. I could tell they were puffy from where I was standing and felt horrible for making her feel so horrible. I wanted to make things right with her. Even though, I didn’t know my feelings yet, I knew I didn’t want to lose her as a friend. “Saerin-ah...” I said and walked to the bottom of the stairs. 

 

“Mwo?” she said firmly. Her eyes screamed pain, but she looked away, as if feeling bad for her tone. I couldn’t help, but flinch a little at her tone. 

 

“Look, I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. I’m really, truly sorry and I hate seeing you sad like this. Please, don’t be mad at me, or sad. I know you don’t have allergies. I’m sorry I made you cry. Will you forgive me?” I asked in a kind way. 

 

Saerin thought about it, then answered, “Hmm... Will I? I don’t know. Let me think about it. I’ll get back to you.” she said with attitude. My heart stung from how rude she was, but I guess I deserved it. I did just tell her I didn’t know my own feelings after kissing her. That was stupid. Saerin slumped up the stairs to her room and I kept seeing her shoulder deflate lower and lower. I felt so horrible about yesterday that I wanted to somehow make it up to her. 

 

I walked back into the dining room and sat next to my brother. “Where did you go, Youngmin-ah?” my mom asked, while eating her food. 

 

“Um... The bathroom.” I lied. I glanced at Kwangmin and he gave me a knowing look. I shrugged a little and looked at my lap. 

 

“When you’re both ready, you may leave. The car is waiting outside.” my dad said, while reading the newspaper. 

 

“Neh.” Kwangmin and I said at the same time. He finished his last bite and we stood, bowed to our parents and headed out. 

 

Once we were in the car, Kwangmin smacked my head. “You babo.” Kwangmin grumbled. 

 

“YAH!” I held my head in my hands and rubbed it a little. “Why’d you hit me again!?!?!” 

 

“Because you deserved it you babo.” Kwangmin said calmly, staring ahead. 

 

“Ergh...” I mumbled. 

 

“You made her cry.” my brother said simply. 

 

I sighed. “I know. I feel horrible about it. I’m going to make it up to her.” 

 

“How? She’s so hurt. I think it’s best that you give her some space for now.” Kwangmin suggested. 

 

“But--”

 

“No buts. I know you want her to feel better and you want to make it up to her, but you’re not the one who she will go and cry to about. It will be one of the maids or our parents, or even me. She won’t cry to you about you.” Kwangmin said. It may have sounded a little harsh, but the truth hurts, right?

 

“I guess you’re right... But I still want her to feel better. I’ll give her a couple days, or a week. Then, I’m going to make it up to her.” I said. 

 

Kwangmin didn’t do anything to what I said and just stared ahead. 

 

Kwangmin’s POV:

 

 

I stared at the road and listened to Youngmin talk. I didn’t want him to know what I was thinking, so I didn’t respond to him. While Saerin is sad, I need to be there. I will comfort her and make her feel better and who knows, maybe have some of her heart as well. This is my chance to win some of her heart. It may be weird to fight with my brother for a girl, but hey, all’s fair in love in war, right? I sighed and opened the car door because we’d arrived at school. Girls came instantly to my brother and my side. I ignored them as Youngmin nodded and smiled and took gifts. That was his thing, not mine. I was actually glad Saerin didn’t come to school with us. If she saw all the attention Youngmin was getting and all the attention he was giving back to the girls, I’m sure she’d feel a little worse. 

 

Saerin’s POV:

 

I trudged up the stairs to my room and crawled into my bed. I tossed and turned for a while and stared at nothing. I was zoning out. I didn’t know how much time had passed or what was even going on in the house. “Dongsaeng-ah...” Jiyune’s head peaked through my door. I didn’t want to speak to her and hid my head under my blankets. Jiyune came to my bed and sat on the edge. She pushed my gently. “What’s wrong?” she asked. 

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I said. 

 

“Dongsaenggie.. Don’t be like this. You can tell me.” Jiyune kept at it. 

 

I gumbled. “It’s just.. Guy problems. Can we not talk about it now? Please? Maybe later.” 

 

Jiyune sighed in defeat. “Alright. But just know that I’m always here if you need me.”

 

I nodded. “Gomawo Unnie.” Jiyune smiled and left my room. I crawled back under my blankets and slept. A couple hours later, I woke up because I felt someone pushing me again. I expected one of my unnies, but in front of me was Kwangmin. 

 

“Hey...” He said quietly. 

 

“Hey...” I replied. 

 

“How’re you feeling? We just got back from school.” Kwangmin said. 

 

“Wow, it’s that late already? Gosh I feel bad, I didn’t do any work today.” I said. 

 

Kwangmin chuckled. “I’m sure my parents aren’t going to get mad. They know you’re upset about something.” 

 

I sighed. “Ugh.. I feel so stupid.” 

 

“How about we go somewhere? Maybe it’ll help you get your mind off of this?” Kwangmin suggested. I nodded in agreement and he waited for me to get out of bed and dress again. Once I was dressed to go out, I head down the slide to the first floor. Kwangmin was waiting for me with a smile. We headed out the front door and walked through the home’s gates. I was actually excited to go out. I haven’t hung out with anybody in a while, besides the little party at the house. 

 

“Where are we going?” I asked him. Kwangmin just smiled and kept walking. I pouted, but I guess my curiosity kept me from being upset. 

 

Kwangmin’s POV:

 

Just wait, Saerin, I’ll help you forget. I’ll make sure you won’t cry about my brother ever again...