5

Lee Saerin, the new maid

 

After the little cheek kissing incident, my maid unnies started helping me get used to the house. They showed me how everything worked and where to place what, etc. By the end of the day, I was extremely exhausted by the day’s events. 

 

I washed up and slipped into my bed, but I had no intention of falling asleep. I stayed awake for another hour or so and just didn’t feel like sleeping. For some reason, what happened felt like a dream. I kept on pinching my face and it hurt... But I didn’t believe it. Instead of sleeping, I decided to unpack my belongings, which wasn’t much. I finished unpacking really quick and the closet given to me was huge... It probably filled... Okay not even half of a rack was filled and it was a walk in closet. I sighed, but smiled because this was a really nice home, and a lot of good opportunities were given to me. 

 

I walked out of the closet and headed for my bed. Right when I was about to fall asleep, I heard a knock on my door. Wondering who it was, I opened it. On the other side was Youngmin. My eyes went wide and I wondered why he was here. He gave me a cute smile and just stood there, not saying anything. “Uh... Hi?” I said. 

 

“Hello!” Youngmin smiled at me. “I just wanted to apologize for earlier. I can be like that sometimes so.. Yeah if I ever do it again, just know that, that’s what I’m like. Get used to it.” I nod awkwardly. “Alrighty then, just wanted to clear things up. I’ll see you tomorrow morning, maid.” And with that, Youngmin walked off and took the slide down to his floor. I closed the door as he left and wondered if him calling me maid was supposed to be offensive. I was a maid but something was... off. I shrugged and went to my bed again. I was about to fall asleep when I heard yet another knock. Who could it be this time? On the other side of the door was Kwangmin. 

 

“Annyeong,” Kwangmin whispered to me with a goofy smile. 

“Annyeong?” I said back. “Why are you here?” 

 

“I’m not really sure... I kind of wanted to say hi and talk for a bit.” Kwangmin looks up as he thinks. 

 

“Um.. Okay?” 

 

“Well, for one thing, sorry about my brother. He can be like that. I know I apologized already, but I’ll just say it again. So yeah. Mian.” Kwangmin said. 

 

I smiled at him. “No problem. I’ll get used to it.” 

 

Kwangmin laughed. “Okay. Well, I’ll let you sleep now. Goodnight Saerin-ssi.” Kwangmin nodded at me and left. I closed the door again and smiled. That was nice, I thought. I made my way to the bed again, only to have the door knock another time. Who could it be now?! I thought getting a little annoyed. Opening the door harshly, I was greeted with Jiyune unnie’s smile. 

 

“Well somebody’s grumpy.” she joked. 

 

“Oh.. Unnie, annyeong.” I said, rubbing my eyes. 

 

“Hello to you, too.” she was still using a joking tone. 

 

“Why are you here? It’s late.” I asked, sliding into my bed.

 

“Let’s talk. Remember you asked me how I started working here?” Jiyune slid in with me. I nodded. “Well, I can tell you now. I’ve been working here for about 2 years. I came here because I was hanging out in a coffee shop one day. I ran away from home, you see. My parents were constantly fighting and were on the verge of divorce and I just couldn’t take it anymore. So one night, I packed my things and just left.” Jiyune glanced at me, to see if I was listening. I sat up straight and gave her a tentative stare. “Okay so, I was at a coffee shop near my house when I saw Mr. Jo. He was just buying a drink so I looked away. A minute later, he came and sat in front of me and gave me a cup of coffee. ‘Hello’ he said. I gave him a confused look at he just smiled. He asked me what I was doing there and I felt uncomfortable telling him because I didn’t know him. Mr. Jo told me that he was sorry for asking, but if I needed help, I could just call him and he gave me his business card. After that, he left and I just sat there, staring at the business card. I wandered around for another day or two and my body was growing weak. I knew I needed help so I found a pay phone and used my last amount of money and gave him a call. Mr. Jo picked me up and fed me and then I started working here.” Jiyune explained. 

“What about your parents?” I asked. 

 

“I haven’t seen them since...” she looked down. 

 

“I see... Do you miss them?” 

 

“A little,” Jiyune gives me a small smile. I pat her back and give her a small smile back. 

 

“I miss my family too. My parents left a long time ago so my siblings are my family. They were taken from me so now I’m here... Surprisingly, Mr. Jo found me on the streets too. Well, more like I bumped into him on accident and then now I’m here.” I said. 

 

Jiyune nodded, “I see. Mr. Jo is really nice. I feel like he has fate to help people who need it, like he has a sense and just knows.” I laugh at that and slide deeper into my bed. 

 

“You should sleep.” I give Jiyune a gentle push. 

 

“Alrighty. See you in the morning.” Jiyune said and closed the door.