Chapter 3

My Private Tutor

 

Social improvement

The reason was very simple; Sheng Yi had left me in the hardest period of my life. When I had told him about my problem he told me that he would help me, and then moved. That was when I became a ‘hardcore girl’ as people referred me as pretty often. Being in love with a person that I couldn’t be with, ‘cause he of course had a girlfriend who was a preppy, unintelligent, ty snob. He of course didn’t notice me, I was like air. It sounded like a bad movie, but it was reality. At least it used to be my reality. I started reading fashion magazines, learned to dance and learned to do makeup. I stopped playing basketball and started playing the piano instead. I learned to make people like me, and I learned to be just as fake as nylon is synthetic. I was no longer the little sweet tomboy who had few, but real friends, and started being a preppy who everyone knew, and everyone had an opinion of.
“’Ey, new girl, what the hell are you doing with Aaron Yan?” someone asked. At this place I could be whoever I wanted to be. Unfortunately I had gotten a taste of popularity, and wanted to get more of it. I turned around to see Selina Ren, one of Hebe’s little workers. I smirked. I had to look friendly towards her, but still have an attitude. That was how you got considered to be a part of that kind of clique.
“Oh, he’s my personal math tutor… Problem?” I asked. I kept on smirking. Selina smiled fakely at me.
“Of course not… Just checking; he’s my best friend’s boyfriend, and she’s pretty suspicious towards her,” Selina explained. I raised an eyebrow. A perfectly plugged eyebrow to be exact.
“You have really good eyebrows” she noticed. I smiled, and looked flattered. Of course I weren’t flattered, I just faked it.
“Thanks, I like your lipgloss” I exclaimed while smiling. “Clinique’s full potential in sugarplump if I’m not mistaken”
“Yeah, it is… It’s my favorite gloss” Selina said. I smiled jollily; still fake.
“Really? Mine should be… Clinique’s Long Last Gloss wear in bamboo pink… It’s a really great color, and it has SPF in it…” I raised both eyebrows to look like I didn’t know how superficial our conversation was.
“Hebe also loves that one… It’s funny, it seems like both of us are Clinique girls” Selina giggled.
“Yeah, it does… I mean, I love MAC and Chanel and all that, but nothing ever beats Clinique…” I was a MAC girl to my death, but she didn’t have to know that.
“Exactly! And they don’t animal test… Oh my god, you so have to eat lunch with us! Hebe and Ella will love you!” she said and smiled.
“Really?”
“Yeah, you just have to wear some proper makeup… Hebe loves the J’adore Dior perfume, though it’s pretty classic… If you have that one you should definitely wear it!” she said. This girl surely had a cheerful image. If I didn’t already know that world, I would’ve been fooled.
“Of course I have it” I answered.

The next day I looked in the mirror. I was ready for lunch. I had changed my outfit, to something more fitting for the role of a worker-bee. I was now wearing a purple dress that reached the middle of my thigh, combined with a black elastic belt in the section over the waist. I was wearing black stilettos. My makeup was simple, but made me look good, and my hair was hanging loosely. I had teased and curled it, just for a bit extra volume. I was of course wearing the perfume I was asked to wear. The door to my room opened.
“Wu Ying Jie, are you coming or not? We’re waiting for you!” Hebe, who had just walked in, asked me. I assumed that she knew about Selina asking me to eat lunch with them. She looked at me.
“Did Selina inform you that we wear purple every Sunday, or do you just like purple?” Hebe asked.
“Lucky guess?” I shrugged my shoulders. Hebe laughed.
“Well, no matter how you guessed it, its lunch time, and our fans hate waiting. Ella and Selina is waiting outside!” Hebe said. I smiled sweetly.
“Oh, I’m ready now…” I said, while smiling innocently. Hebe was really bossy; even bossier than me.
We flounced down the stairs, towards the cafeteria. Hebe was in the front, followed by Selina, then Ella, and then me. I had the lowest status as I was the newest member, and hadn’t proved that I was useful.
We reached the cafeteria. Hebe looked at me.
“Open the door, Ying Jie… I don’t want to get a flu” Hebe said and looked at me in a challenging way. Though I really wanted to strangle her, I just did what she told me to while smiling. If I ever returned to my old school I was going to treat Xiao Xun way better. My cell phone started playing the chorus of ‘piece of me’ very loudly.
“What are you waiting for? Answer it” Hebe said and smiled. I pushed the green bottom.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Gui! Guess what?” It was Sheng Yi. I smiled in a superficial way, though I wanted to laugh at his cheerfulness.
“What?” I asked.
“I’m transferring to your school!” he said. At first I wanted to express my happiness, but then on the other hand… I couldn’t be friends with him if I wanted to be friends with Hebe, Ella and Selina.
“That’s great, gotta go, call you later, bye!” I said and hung up. The girls and I walked into the cafeteria. There were two available tables. One of them was placed in the middle of the cafeteria, while the other one was placed next to a huge window. I decided to let the girls take the lead, to see what table they liked the most. At my old school everything would’ve been about being in the middle, but I didn’t know about this school.
“Wu Ying Jie, can you guess where we’re sitting?” Ella questioned cheerfully. I smiled in a shy way, just to seem like a project that they would like to change.
“Uhm… By the window?” I asked. Hebe’s face softened.
“That’s right… We, Aaron, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Show and Show’s daily date always sit at that table together…” Hebe said.
“Well, you already know who Aaron is… Chun is our school’s sporty guy, who happens to eat like, a lot!” Selina said. Ella smiled.
“And he’s also very handsome…” she declared.
“I have a cousin named Chun who’s studying in Europe…” I said while thinking.
“Cool… Anyways, Calvin is our school’s second smartest boy. He’s handsome, philosophic, and yet player with a cold attitude… He has a very weird taste in girls” Hebe giggled.
“How weird?” I asked her.
“Like, he only dates British girls who are at least two years younger or two years older than him…” Selina chuckled. He sounded pretty weird.
“Show’s a player like Calvin, but apart from that they have nothing in common. Show’s a happy-go-lucky kind of guy… And Selina totally have a crush on him” Ella said and chuckled.
“It was not a crush, I really, really liked him back then, and it’s like, a hundred years ago!” Selina tried. It didn’t really work. We sat down in our spots (I picked a random chair) and continued the conversation.
“And then there’s Jiro left… He’s a hopeless romantic, who believes in the one and that kind of crap, and then he has this weird addiction to cheese… He like, loves everything cheese-related… Real cheese, cheese cake, cheese fries, cheese von dues, cheese popcorn, even baked cheddar pops… But he’s hot” Hebe explained.
“Well, as long as he’s handsome” I chuckled.
“Ooh, they’re coming!” Selina said with fake cheerfulness. I looked at the guys who entered the room. Aaron was in the front, of course, while Show was walking with his hand around some random girl’s waist. In the middle I saw someone I recognized after looking at him for a while. It really was my cousin, Chun. I jumped up from my seat and ran to greet him.
“Chun?!” I asked happily. I avoided mentioning that he was my cousin in front of the rest of the school; dating, or having dated one of the clique-guys made people respect you.
“Gui Gui, long time no see” he said in a cool manner and hugged me. I smiled cheerfully.
“How’s your parents?” I asked him and took his hands, while slightly jumping. My whole family had always seen me as a cheerful person, so it was normal for me to do something like that.
“They’re fine; the company is going very well… How has your mother been since the accident?” he questioned. I faked a sad smile; the accident wasn’t a happy thing to talk about, as it had killed both my father and my sister.
“Well, she’s been very sad, but she’s over it now… Way more over it than me, for example” I said, and purposely made my eyes look teary.
“Oh, I understand, no one gets easily over losing a parent… Let’s sit down, shall we?” he asked. The guys took their seats, and I sat in the same spot as before.
“Guys, this is Gui Gui, my cousin from Taiwan…” Chun hurried to explain. I smiled and waved.
“I’ve already met her” Aaron said and rolled his eyes.
“Me too” Show said and lifted his eyebrows. I laughed.
“How old are you?” Calvin asked.
“Sixteen…”
“What day is your birthday?”
“August, 11th…”
“What a waste of time.”
“What is your star sign?” Jiro asked and looked interested.
“I’m a Leo…” I said and looked like I felt awkward. Jiro looked even more interested.
“Who’s your favorite author?” he asked.
“I don’t read a lot, but judging from what I have read it should be… Jung Chang… The writer of wild swans…” I said. I knew that it wouldn’t be a weird thing to say, as everyone in my old school had been forced to read the book in history class.
“Mine too! What about your favorite cheese?”
“Yo Jiro, chillax, she’s my cousin” Chun said. I couldn’t help but laugh; that was SO like Chun.

The next day I was sitting alone in an empty hall, reading. I secretly loved to read, but I just didn’t get to do it very often, as people expected me to hate school. Sometimes I even found math cozy. The fact was… It was easier, and less humiliating to say ‘it’s because I don’t want to do it, I would be brilliant if I wanted to’ than ‘I ’.
“Who do we have here? Miss deciding-who-everyone-dates reading a book, aren’t we?”
“Hi Joanne… Yes, I actually am so please stop disturbing me, would you?” I smirked, ‘cause I knew I was better than her; I looked better, I was already more popular, and everyone thought that I had been dating one of the most popular guys in the school.
“I would love to, but as this weird guy named Wang Zi told me to help him look for you, I can’t.” Joanne said
“Sheng Yi?! No way… Where is he?” I asked.
“He’s downstairs in the library” Joanne said and looked like she thought she was better than me.
“Oh, good thing, then no one with influence will see me with you” I said and smirked.
“What do you mean by that?” she questioned, while looking like I had insulted her.
“Oh, well, just that everyone with influence is currently watching Chunny’s basketball game” I explained.
“Your ex-Bf’s B-ball game?” Joanne laughed.
“No, my old senior’s basketball game” I smiled. I didn’t need to tell her about the fact that Chun was my relative, as that would ruin the little play I had performed the day before.
“I see… Though your relationship seems like a little more than just senior-junior… Oh well, have you seen any guys you like yet?” she asked. I quickly made a decision; I wouldn’t tell her about Aaron.
“Yeah… But you’ve already met my Wang Zi” I smiled.

***
Heey guys (or gals xD)
Sorry for not updating in such a long time…
My mother was hospitalized, and I had a big math assignment (and some national tests…)
And as I at math, it was kinda difficult xD
Thanks for all the nice comments (:
I really appreciate them (:
It has been snowing in Denmark today *happy*
Anyways, please comment <3
-Gril4Life