Chapter 20

My Private Tutor

 

Hallelujah

I was sitting, crying in my new room. I had just been told that I was supposed to share room with Jolin. How the hell was I supposed to do that? I could barely look at her, without starting to cry about the truth. The fact was that Jolin was my sister, but it was just so hard for me to accept. How could such a person come from the same father as me? I knew that he weren’t the nicest person on earth, but he definitely wasn’t as bad as Jolin.
I sighed, as I heard the door behind me starting to open. It was time for the big reunion.
“Just so you know, new roommate… Wu Ying Jie?! Get out of my room, right now, or I’ll tell the headmistress.” Jolin smirked.
“Hi Jolin. You know, you could tell the headmistress, but it would be a waste of time as I’m your new roommate. I’m really sorry, but it was the only condition for me going back to this school… Anyways, I want to talk to you. If you keep on threatening Aaron to not marry me, I’ll personally make sure that you will never be able to do anything ever again.” I didn’t understand why she had such an urge to ruin my life. I had never done anything to her.
“Who’s threatening Aaron to leave you? I haven’t used that trick for years. Right now I’m under greater, smarter, and more heartless powers than my own.” Jolin rolled her eyes.
“Okay, Jolin, you are aware that I DO know about you paying Amber to be Aaron’s girlfriend through Hebe, right?” I asked her, looking like she was the most stupid thing on earth, though everyone knew that Amber was.
“I wasn’t even the one doing that trick! As I said, I’m under greater, smarter and more heartless powers than myself. I have no choice but to obey! But Aaron wouldn’t need anyone to threaten him, anyways. He doesn’t love you, and you’re pathetic.” Jolin said, looking me straight into my eyes.
“You’re not right…”
“Yes, I am, Wu Ying Jie. Don’t you see it? Aaron loves Hebe, Hebe loves Aaron. Andy – your little queer friend – loves Hebe too. Ida loves Show, and Show loves Ida. Ella loves your cousin, Chun, and Chun loves Ella back too. Jiro loves cheese and love, and almost every sensitive girl in school loves Jiro. Jay loves me, and I love Jay. For god’s sake, even Amber has found love in Wang Zi! But you? No one loves you, Wu Ying Jie. It’s just a pathetic illusion. You already scared the only people who would ever love you aware, and I’ve watched it. Danson Tang, Alien Huang, Wang Zi, Andy Baker and Aaron Yan all left you, didn’t they? The only reason that Andy Baker wants to marry you, is because Hebe is getting married to Aaron. Just like it’s supposed to be. The only persons that ever loved you are already dead. Our father and our sister died right in front of you, before I even got a chance to meet them. Our sister was depressed because she knew that her boyfriend loved you. It’s your fault…”
“You’re lying. Melanie committed suicide because she thought she ruined our mother’s life! Because YOUR oh so beloved father got her pregnant, and was forced to marry someone into an unhappy life.” I tried to keep looking at Jolin’s eyes, but I couldn’t. It was just like staring at Melanie’s; soft, yet dominating. Maybe Melanie had been like that towards classmates too. It was pretty likely, as she had been a queen bee too once.
“Well, it wasn’t Melanie’s fault that your mother was depressed; it was mine. She must’ve been broken when she found out that her husband had a child with another woman. When I was little, I overheard a conversation between our mothers. Apparently, they had been best friends until my mother became friends with the school’s queen bee. The queen bee once copied your mother’s essay, and your mother ‘snitched’ on her. Therefore, the queen bee wanted revenge, and forced my mother to join the plan, if she wanted to be ‘one of the girls’. At a club, they drugged your mother. Unfortunately, my mother’s boyfriend, our father, was at the club too, and felt sorry for your mother. He wanted to drive her home, but ended up getting her pregnant. They got married, but my mother kept on seeing him, behind her best friend’s back… And then they had me.” Jolin wiped away a few tears. I laid a comforting hand on her back, though I was crying too. “But your father really loved your mother… He just never realized it, not even after their marriage… That’s why I don’t want you to steal Aaron. I’m afraid that you’ll end up like my mother, and I actually really want to like you…”
“Hug?” I asked. Jolin nodded, and we hugged, while laughing.

I was sitting in the piano room all by myself. I had so many beautiful memories with Aaron there, but the thing about beautiful memories is that they will turn painful, when the relationship ends. Maybe Aaron really did love Hebe, without realizing it. Maybe I really would become like Jolin’s mother, causing Hebe’s children to hate her, if I kept on seeing Aaron. I started playing the piano. After a while, I started singing too.
“Well, I heard there was a secret chord, that David played, and it pleased the lord, but you don’t really care for music, do you? Well it goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, and the major lift, the baffled king composing hallelujah…” I sang of all the power that my lungs allowed me to, think about my love for Aaron. I had just finished the first chorus.
“Well your faith was strong, but you needed proof, you saw her bathing low on the roof, her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you, she tied you to her kitchen-chair, she broke your throne, she cut your hair, and from you lips she drew the hallelujah…. Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah” I dried tears away from my eyes again. Ignoring Aaron shouldn’t be so hard; I had done it before. Almost, at least.
“Baby I’ve been here before, I’ve seen this room, I’ve walked this floor, you know I used to live alone before I knew you…”
“I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch, but love is not a victory mark, it’s a cold and it’s a broken hallelujah.” I heard Aaron’s voice sing. I kept on playing the song, when I turned my heard to look at Aaron. I kept playing though, as I knew the notes way too well; my father had taught me to play the song when I was very little.
Aaron and I sang the chorus together, and he sat down next to me.
“Well there was a time you let me know, what’s really going on below, but now you never show that to me, do you?” I sang by myself.
“But I remember when I moved you, the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah.” Aaron sang. Again, we sang the chorus together.
“Well, maybe there’s a god above, but all I ever learned from love, is how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.” I sang alone. We finished the rest of the song together, and I looked Aaron into his eyes. I then forced myself to wake up; he was Hebe’s fiancé. Now I would only lie to him to feel safer. If he thought I was engaged, there was a chance that he would let me go.
“I’ve broken my engagement with Hebe, though every bone and sense in my body told me not to. You’re right, Gui Gui, I don’t love her.” Aaron looked me straight into the eyes. I pinched myself, forcing my mind to think logic.
“I have great news… Andy and I are getting married on the date I turn eighteen.” I forced a smile, looking at him. He then sighed deeply.
“What was it that you said to me once…?”
“Nothing… Nothing important, at least.” I blinked away my tears.
“No, it definitely is something. I want to say the same thing to you.” He looked me in the eyes. “It only takes three words; eight letters, and I will wait for you forever.” He said. I looked him into his deep brown eyes.
“Let me alone. I don’t need you waiting for me; I’m getting married to one of the most stylish guys in London.” I said, harshly. Then I walked out of the room, and started crying. Right now I was hurting myself and Aaron, but if we were together, we would make a lot of other people hurt. And I didn’t want to.

Selina and Show was comforting me in Selina’s room.
“Gui Gui, don’t worry, he will realize that he loves you sooner or later…” Show said, unknowingly. I had already told Selina the problem, which meant that Show’s words made her hit him softly on the arm.
“Gui Gui, remember, he’s just some guy… You will find much better someday, and when you do, you won’t understand what you ever saw in Aaron Yan…” Selina my hair gently. She indeed was my best friend; she supported me no matter what crap I did.
“Thanks, Sel…” I sniffled. “Can you please get me some beer? I want to drink all my senses out”
“Sure…” Selina sighed, and got a few bottles of beer for us. We opened them, and started drinking in silence.
“Could you imagine what would’ve happened to me if I hadn’t gotten an abortion back then? How different my life would be? It would probably be filled with love and warmth” I imagined the baby, Aaron and I living in a little house on the countryside, but then realized that it hadn’t been Aaron’s child, and that I wouldn’t ever have met him if I had it. But then I thought it over again. Aaron and I were destined to meet, no matter what. For some reason, we were also destined to hurt, though.
“But then you wouldn’t ever have been friends with us… And you wouldn’t look half as hot as you do now,” Show smirked, causing me to laugh.
“Hey, that’s unfair! Making me laugh when I’m supposed to be sad!” I laughed, and slapped Show playfully on the arm. Then he started to tickle Sel and I, causing us to burst out laughing. Before any of us realized what was going on, all three on us ended up fighting for fun. Of course Show was a lot stronger than Selina and I, even if both of us used our strength. Now Show was lying on top of me and Sel on the bed, making sure we didn’t move, so we didn’t start tickling him back, which we had started to do a little earlier. It must’ve looked pretty wrong, Show lying on top of me and Selina on the bed, but the three of us knew that it was completely innocent.
“What the are you doing?!” we heard someone say at the door. Show instantly turned around, letting go of Selina and I, to look at the person, whom he obviously knew who were. Selina and I sat up, as Show letting go of us allowed us to. We then saw why he was so worked up. His girlfriend, Ida, had just seen Show lying on top of two girls, who both had reputations to be just a little loose.
“Wait, don’t go, I can explain!” Show yelled, when she was about to leave.
“Yeah, we were just fighting for fun…” Selina said, with honest eyes. Ida didn’t say anything, she just ran away. Show was about to chase her, but Selina for some reason held him back.
“I’ll do it…” I said, and hurried to run after her.

When I finally found Ida, she was crying while talking to one of her friends on the phone.
“Gril, he was going to have with those girls, why would I listen to his explanation? I mean, come on…” Ida said to her friend, and sniffled.
“I’m going back tomorrow… The two of you don’t need to come, really…” she then said. I poked her shoulder. She slowly turned around.
“Just a second, Gril…” she said, and looked at me. “What is it?”
“Show and Selina were just comforting me about something with Aaron. Show then made me laugh, and tickled me, and three of us ended up fighting for fun. That was why he was lying on top of us; it really wasn’t anything ual…” I explained.
“Then how come you’re the one chasing me, and not him? I just don’t know about me and Show, really… He used to be a player, and we live so far from each other, so I’m always afraid of him getting seduced by some beautiful girls… And he has so beautiful friends who are girls… I just don’t think I’m ready for it… It may not be anything today, but what about tomorrow, and the day after? Selina and you may not know this, but he has broken my trust so many times… I really can’t do it.”

I was sitting alone in an empty classroom at the school. I had promised Aaron to meet him, and plan out how he could get Hebe back. Of course I supported that decision, as it meant that Aaron had come to his senses, just like I had. Therefore, I also wanted to make it our last meeting, as it would hurt me too much to see him ever again.
“Knock, knock” Aaron said behind me. “Are you thinking about how extremely handsome I am?”
“Keep on dreaming… Or actually, don’t, as dreams like that could ruin your marriage in the future.” I said thoughtfully. I didn’t get to say anything more, though, as Aaron’s lips were now attacking mine. I was weakened by them. His lips were so soft, that I couldn’t believe it. How could I have survived such a long time without feeling them on mine?
“We really shouldn’t be doing this…” I finally came to my senses; it would ruin my plan.
“I don’t care about what we should and shouldn’t. If you really don’t believe that I mean this, then fine, I’ll say those words that means so much to you.” Aaron looked me straight into my eyes. I then thought about what Jolin had said.
“Please don’t say anything you don’t mean. What you think is love by now, will later turn out to be a crazy obsession and ruin your marriage with Hebe.” I said, looking down and blinking away tears. Aaron and I were not destined to be together. I couldn’t live in a crazy dream world anymore, and neither could he. In April, Aaron would be a married man, and would probably be the father of a bunch of children soon after. I would go back to Taiwan, and try to forget about what had been, trying to get some of my old friends back. That was how it should be.
“Wu Ying Jie, I love you. Now tell me, who made you this insecure?” Aaron asked me with caring eyes.
“You did. Well, everyone in my life did, but you were the worst of them all.” I looked Aaron straight into the eyes. This was probably the only way I could make him leave, and marry his fiancée. “I thought I loved you, but I just realized how much I hate everything about you.” I said, still staring harshly into his eyes.
“Please explain to me… How did I make you so insecure?” Aaron asked, with teary eyes. I took a deep breath, to avoid crying too.
“When I came here, you dated Hebe, but showed some interest in me… Then we started liking each other. You then kissed me, and returned to Hebe. Then I started dating Danson, and you opposed. I then dumped my whole social life to date you, and I really, really liked you… But I catched you kissing Hebe at a party. Then you told me that you loved me, and started dating Amber whatever-her-last-name-is. After you broke up with her, you engaged Hebe. Then you begged me to stop chasing you, and I did stop chasing you, after a while. When I had finally decided to stop chasing you, you walked in and sang with me, and told me to tell you I loved you. And now you, after all those things, claim to love me? Come on Aaron Yan, everyone knows that you don’t. Everything always leads back to Hebe.” I said, and walked away.

“Gui Gui, for god’s sake, stop hurting yourself and just kiss him already!” Selina yelled at me, when I told her what had happened.
“I can’t! I would hate myself if I started dating Aaron, I just know it!” I cried out. Selina rolled her eyes.
“If you really love him, then there’s no reason for that. You should just tell him, and get it over with. Have you ever thought about how happy the two of you could be, if you gave it a chance? Besides, I’m sure that you’ll get Hebe’s blessings, and Jolin can go to hell” Selina yawned.
“Don’t you dare to insult Jolin, Selina Ren. Jolin is my sister, and though she can be a sometimes, I will still stand up for her, ‘cause having a sister means that much to me.” I warned.
“Come on, you may be blood related, but she’s Jolin Tsai, the person who used to pay people to ruin your life. Why are you standing up for her?” Selina asked, looking at me like I was an idiot.
“Because you haven’t seen the other side of her yet. She’s a lot like Melanie, whom I’ve lost a long time ago. Besides, she’s the daughter of my father, and as he won’t get more daughters in the future, I’ll give her a chance.” I smiled at Selina.
“Okay, then… But you should still persuade Aaron to go out with you again! Don’t waste your love; it hurts to let a loved one go like that… More than you can ever imagine… Trust me.” Selina looked at me with concerned eyes.
“Don’t worry, I’ll try…”

***
PREVIEW:
“Aaron Yan, I won’t take no for an answer. Come down here, right now, and don’t even THINK about jumping!” I yelled at Aaron. Seeing the love of my life, almost jumping down from a rooftop hurt.
-
“Hello, Wu Ying Jie, my name is Rainie Yang. You probably don’t remember, but we’ve met before. My mother decided to transfer me from Japan to this school… Will you please show me around?” the way too familiar girl said. What was she doing here?

***
This chapter is dedicated to our birthday girl, and one of my most loyal readers; Bubble. Happy birthday, bubble (:
So, lots of things happens in this chapter…
But Gui Gui decides to go after Aaron at last, which means that a whole new type of drama will probably begin* evil smirk*
And what’s with Rainie, showing up in the next chapter?
And who is the mysterious person threatening Aaron?
You’ll find out in the next chapter (;
And oh my god, eleven comments?! Are you guys sent from heaven, or something?
I love you guys so much <33
Thanks for all of the sweet comments <33
And once again, happy birthday, Bubble! (:
Please comment, guys <33
-Gril4Life