Chapter 10

My Private Tutor

 

All mixed up

Hebe, Selina, Show, Calvin and I had decided to audition for the school musical. Of course all of us knew that the parts would go to Hebe and Show, as they were the most popular persons in school, but the rest of us could play supporting characters. The musical was, predictably about love; we were doing Grease 2, as Grease 1 was done the year before.
“Chen Yi Ru – Calvin Chen.” One of the teachers called. Calvin walked calmly towards the stage. The rest of us were cheering for him. He was okay, and he wasn’t a threat towards me, as he was applying for the male lead. After his audition we clapped.
“Luo Zhi Xiang – Show Luo” was called out a little later. Show walked up to the stage, and auditioned with great brilliance. I smirked.
Then it was Selina’s turn and not long after Hebe’s. I still smiled. There was a long time for me to go. Therefore we were fooling around and chatting.
“Wu Ying Jie – Gui Gui” the teacher suddenly yelled. I hadn’t noticed that the time had gone by. I walked up to the stage confidently, and started singing and dancing. I didn’t know what happened to me, but it all felt very naturally. It was like I was meant to do it. Before I knew it, my perfomence was over. People stared at me, all the way up, while cheering like crazy. Hebe stared me down, with a snobby manner.
“You’re good.” It sounded more like an accusation than a compliment.
“I know, right?” I asked. At that moment, I was on top. If I managed to get the role, score Aaron (whom I knew was attracted to me), and made the girls hate her, I would become the queen be. I would use dirty tricks if I had to.
“You better not take my part away from me, ” Hebe giggled. We all laughed. I understood that it was supposed to sound like a joke, but I knew that it was also a warning.
“Thanks for auditioning everyone… The role list will be read aloud in class, tomorrow. Good luck. Bye bye.” The teacher said. We left.

I was having Aaron-class about World War II. I thought it was boring as hell. I decided to use the opportunity to get him.
“Aaron?” I looked at him with innocent eyes.
“Yes, Gui Gui?” he asked me, looking disturbed.
“Do you think I have any chance of getting a part in the school musical? I just mean… Hebe’s so brilliant, and I would never be able to compare with her, but…”
“But what?”
“But I think I want it more than she does. She only wants the part because of status. I want it because I want to performe on stage. I want to sing and dance. I want to act.” I sighed.
“I really don’t understand why you keep being friends with Hebe, if you think she’s that bad… She’s really not, though.” Aaron looked at me like I was a mystery.
“I’m friends with Hebe because she’s the leader of the clique that I’m a part of. It’s not like she really likes me either, but she knows that I’m a threat, and that she has to keep her enemies close. She sees me as an enemy. It’s the same thing for me” I lied. Originally it was because of that… And it was still my main purpose, but now Aaron also meant a great deal.
“I don’t believe you. I simply don’t believe you, Wu Ying Jie. There’s clearly another purpose for you too. You’re just not being honest.” Aaron looked worried at me. I felt kinda bad, so I decided to be honest with him.
“Well… And then there are you. I’m confused about what I feel about you… Firstly, I wanted to steal you away from Hebe, but then I wanted to help you, and then we kissed, and I started feeling something strange, but…” I sighed. “But I don’t know if it’s bad conscience, love, or both”
“Gui Gui, I don’t know what to say…”
“Don’t say anything before you’re sure. I don’t want to humiliate myself more than I just did.” I looked at the watch. “Class is over. Bye, Aaron.”

The next day, I was having a hard time concentrating in math. I looked in my notebook. I had tried to solve the same piece for ten minutes, now. We were learning about Pythagoras. I found it VERY boring. The school leader stepped into the classroom.
“Hello class. I’m here to announce who’s going to get the parts in the school musical. Okay. So… The male lead, Michael, is played by… Luo Zhi Xiang.” – People clapped. – “the female lead was hard for us to decide. We actually had a quite big discussion, as we saw some fresh meat at the audition.” – he breathed heavily. – “The female lead, Stephanie, goes to Wu Ying Jie.” He said. I was stunned. I was the female lead. Me?! Everyone in the classroom clapped.
The school leader announced the rest of the roles, and left. Hebe was my substitute. I had to be very careful. Hebe wasn’t a newbie.
“Wu Ying Jie, you aren’t concentrating about class!” the teacher yelled at me. I smiled sweetly.
“I’m sorry, Mr. Jackson, I was just kinda thinking about this piece... I really cannot solve it, though my tutor thinks I’m improving.” I looked sad. Of course it was an act. “And my class today is cancelled, because he has a date” I added.
“I see… Who is your tutor anyways?” my teacher asked. He seemed a little softened.
“Aaron Yan…” I answered. “of course I don’t blame him, I mean, we’re friends and all…” I added quickly, smiling.
He commanded the rest of the class to start doing their tasks, and sat down by my table.
“Wu Ying Jie, I could go easy on you at your parent-teacher’s conversation, but I don’t know about the other teachers, and you have to promise me to deliver better results if I’m gonna help you.” He decided with himself. I smiled, and nodded. Then a thought it me. Didn’t it also mean that my mom had to go to England? I received a text. It said:
“I’m coming to the parent-teacher’s conversations at your school – mom.”
I was terrified. I hadn’t done extremely well on any of my tests of essays since I had started at the school, and now there were going to be parent-teacher conversations? And what was with my mom, flying all the way from Taiwan, just to participate?

One week after, I was in the airport with Selina. My mom was landing in a few minutes. She had told me that she had something important to tell me.
“I’m so excited to meet your mom!” Selina smiled.
“Don’t expect too much. She’s a who married because of pregnancy. She loved the child, as it forced my dad to marry her, and give her money. Then she got pregnant again. She was drunk all the way through the pregnancy – and the rest of her life, and she hated the child. She named Wu Ying Jie, because she had seen the words on the TV.” I said. I felt like I could trust Selina.
“Come on, Gui, she doesn’t hate you… She just doesn’t know how to express her love.” Selina tried.
“Oh, she does know how to express love, she just doesn’t think I’m worth it. I’m no Melanie. I’m not smart enough to be her daughter.” I sounded tough, but I had never been weaker. It was a hard topic for me to talk about.
“Well, what did she expect when she drank while pregnant?” Selina asked, sincerely.
“Oh, she smoked too, and partied, and cheated on my daddy. He loved me, though. And now he’s dead.” I said, harshly.
“Flight number 45642 from Taipei just landed at gate four. I repeat: Flight number 45642 from Taipei just landed at gate four.” A speaker voice said. Five minutes after, I saw my mom walk towards me and Selina, with one of her boyfriends carrying her suitcase at her heels.
“Hello mother.” I said, shortly.
“Ying Jie, it’s so lovely to see you again.” She said, not looking honest. She then looked at Selina. “You must be one of Ying Jie’s little friends… You’re Tong Tong, right?”
“Mother, Tong Tong went to my old school. This is Selina, my NEW friend.” I said, and stared her down. She then turned her attention towards the guy behind her.
“This is Paolo… He’s Italian.” She said, and took off her enormous sunglasses.
“Hello Paolo, I’m Wu Ying Jie.” I said shortly, and looked at my mother again.
“So, how are you doing in school? Have you gotten a new boyfriend? You know I liked that Alien guy…” she smiled in a fake way.
“Oh, she was dating this guy named Qiu Sheng Yi, but then they broke up…” Selina slipped.
“And I dumped Alien because he was cheating. You know how I hate people who cheats, mom” I said, and stared hard at her. She was a cheater.
“Wait? Isn’t Qiu Sheng Yi that horrible friend you had back when you looked like a boy?” my mom asked me.
“He isn’t horrible, and I didn’t look like a boy!”
“Gui Gui also plays the female lead in our upcoming school musical! She rocked the audition, are you going to see it?” Selina continued. I tried just to smile.
“I don’t think I can make it… I’m actually only here because of the conversations. Clear?” she asked. Selina and I rolled our eyes behind her back.

I was at school, and waited for Aaron to show up for some private tutoring. I was also waiting for his answer, to my confession. My very cheesy confession. I knew that he didn’t like me, but I was nervous about how nice he would be about it. I would feel stupid no matter what, I already knew that. The funny thing was, that I could have almost whoever I wanted in school, and yet I was so obsessed with chasing Aaron. My phone ringed. I answered it.
“Hi honey!” I heard Danson’s voice say. I sighed, and looked bored.
“Heey Danson…” I just said.
“Why didn’t you tell me that you have the role of Stephanie in your school musical? I would’ve congratulated you!” Danson said. I could almost hear that he was smirking.
“Well, it isn’t really a big deal to me… It’s just a role” I giggled. “Plus, I didn’t want to get you jealous about me and Show working close” I added, smirking.
“Listen, Gui Gui… There’s something that I want to ask you about…” he sighed. “Are we a couple? ‘Cause we’re going to Show’s party together and all…”
“Okay… We can be a couple if you want to.” I said, in a bored way. I could here Aaron walking into the room, though I was looking the other way.
“Well, see ya, honey… My tutor just arrived.” I said, naturally, and hung up. Then I turned around, and faced Aaron. Aaron who looked very sad.
“Hello, Wu Ying Jie. Congratulations on your part in the school musical.” He looked coldly at me. I smirked.
“Someone’s gotten an attitude…”- I looked him in the eyes – “it doesn’t suit you, though. You should find a better one.”
“Why would I take attitude tips from a two-faced, superficial prep who’s failing math?” he seemed completely different from usual.
“What are you talking about?! At least I don’t kiss people when I’m in a relationship!” I rolled my teary eyes. Why was he like this?
“I broke up with my girlfriend, so I could tell you how I felt about you without feeling bad… But it seems like a waste. Now, please tell me who your so-called ‘honey’ is.” Aaron stared me down. I faked a bored attitude.
“Oh, you’re talking about Danson? Yeah, he’s my new boyfriend… Look, Aaron, you’re my only real friend in this school, why would I ruin that friendship by being in a relationship with you?” I looked at Aaron with tearful eyes. “I just cannot do it.” I said, and was about to leave.
“Gui Gui, can we meet up tomorrow?” Aaron asked me, and smiled.
“Sorry, I’m busy…”
“What about the day after tomorrow?”
“Busy…”
“What about…”
“When are you gonna get the picture, Aaron?” I asked him. “I’m Hebe’s so-called friend. I can’t steal her boyfriend like that… Even though I…” I didn’t say anymore. Aaron walked towards me. He looked serious. I felt weak.
“Are you sure?” he asked me. I didn’t respond. I just looked at him. He looked back at me. I went closer, and kissed me gently.
“Wu Ying Jie? I think I might like you.” He said.
“Aaron? You make me weak. A girl like me cannot have a boyfriend who makes me weak. I beg you, Aaron…” I looked at him, and left.

I was at rehearsals for the school musicals. Hebe, Selina and Ella had finally agreed to play the other three Pink Ladies (Paulette, Sharon and Rhonda). I was just happy to be Stephanie.
“Okay, so we’re starting off by practicing the first scene where Michael and Stephanie talks to each other, which means that we’ll need the T-birds, the pink ladies and Michael…” the teacher who was responsible for the play said. We were all bringing our scripts.
The girls and I were reading our lines. The first conversation was kind of boring.
“From the front this is a perfect nose… From the side, this nose does not belong on this face” Ella complained.
“So dump the face and keep the nose” I smirked.
“What’s the new look, Sharon?” Hebe asked Selina. Selina smiled.
“Jackie Kennedy! I may find myself a president” Selina’s part laughed.
“Yeah? Well I’ve heard that JFK prefers the Marylin Monroe look” Hebe’s role said, and looked down her own body. It looked hilarious.
The superficial continued with the T-birds. It was boring. When the girls had went into the “classroom” (the back), the boys started picking on Show’s role, Michael. My own role was changing to a skirt. I locked my locker, and walked towards “Michael.”
“’You okay?” I asked him, while chewing some gum.
“Yeah, fine, thanks.” He said with a British accent, smiling.
“Don’t let these guys bug ‘ya”
“I won’t…” he looked at me. I just smirked, and chewed. Then I walked away.

After the rehearsal, I went out with Danson. We were sitting on a simple, small restaurant, looking into each other’s eyes. I felt uncomfortable.
“Gui Gui?”
“Yes?” I looked at his sparkling eyes.
“I think I may like you.” He sighed. I just looked at him.
“Of course you do, Danson… We’re a couple, remember?” I asked him. He smiled nervously.
“It’s just that… it’s hard for me to understand it. I’m your sister’s ex and all…” he looked bothered. “Gui Gui, there’s something I have to ask you about.” He sighed.
“Be my guest” I smiled.
“Well… Why are you being with me when everyone knows that you like Aaron Yan? I mean… It’s SO obvious” I suddenly looked fierce.
“Because… Because…”

***
PREVIEW:
“How can this be? I… I wronged her. I’ve always wronged her.”
-
“Yes, independent. I kiss who I want, when I want.”
***

Heey guys (:
I know I’m late at updating, but I had a lot of stuff to do, so yeah…
Anyways, thanks for all the sweet comments you left (oh my gosh…).
They mean the world to me, and everytime I read one, I feel that using hours on writing, which my father think is a waste of time, is meaningful.
You guys mean the world to me (:
Please comment (:

-Gril4Life