025. Hide & Seek

Iridescent Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{025.}
Hide & Seek
----------

Seungcheol and Sojung exited the studio their groups were practing in. They were reluctant to leave but they had emcee coaching. “Sometimes, I wonder if we are oversubscribing ourselves in the amount of role we take on.” Seungcheol commented as they ran down the hallway together. Sojung merely laughed. “I guess we’re making the best out of our final year. I don’t have any regrets though, especially since it's with you!” Sojung cracked a smile as they slowed down to a walk.

Seungcheol swore his heart almost skipped a beat when she said that.

Seungcheol opened the door for Sojung and followed behind her. When the door closed shut behind Seungcheol, Jang Rohee appeared and went closer to the door and placed her ear beside the door. Mingyu and SinB came from the artistic director’s office and were returning to their joint practice when they stopped to look at Rohee. Mingyu had a big frown but when he realised that she might catch sight of them, he gently covered SinB’s mouth and tugged her out of sight. 

SinB was confused but Mingyu motioned her to stay silent. Soon enough Rohee walked past them with a smug look on her face. She failed to realise Mingyu and SinB hiding behind one of the locker. When she was out of earshot. Mingyu hit the locker and SinB lunged forward to stop him. She didn’t know what was going on but she felt uneasy, knowing that Rohee was walking back and forth outside the room Seungcheol and Sojung was in.

Mingyu couldn’t believe the tea about Rohee was true. He clenched his fists. ‘Nobody. Is going to sabotage my sister or my members or GFRIEND.’ Mingyu vowed in his head. “Mingyu, Mingyu!” SinB called out to him and it took him awhile to snap out of it. He was surprise she didn’t smack him but waited patiently. “Let’s go back to practice. I don’t know what’s going on but, I’m not getting a good feeling with what we saw.”

He expected more questions from her but SinB knew not to ask further and he appreciated it.

“I’m sorry.” Mingyu said suddenly and pulled her to him for a hug. SinB was surprised but she carefully wrapped her arms around him and patted his back. “It’s alright, Mingyu” SinB whispered gently. “Come let’s go.” SinB gave a smile before gently tugging his hand in hers. Mingyu smiled slightly as he let her pull him along.

Back at the studio, everyone was busy finalising and practising their respective parts. Mingyu noticed how Yuna and Seokmin weren’t present. “They went to practise their duet.” Seungkwan told SinB. “Come, couple work and dance break. We’ll clean this part up first.” Soonyoung and Yerin said together.

At the other studio, Yuna and Seokmin were struggling to harmonize on each other keys and Jihoon was slightly perplexed. ‘This rarely happens.’ He thought as he tried to figure what was the problem.

“Yuna, you can try the melody while I do the harmony part. Let’s go slow.” Seokmin guided her slowly. He knew he was the most level-headed one in the studio right now. After a fresh attempt, Jihoon’s ear perked up. “Oh, that’s better.” But as soon as Jihoon said that Yuna’s voice cracked and fell flat. Seokmin and her blinked at each other, before Yuna bolted out of the door.

“I think we’ll wrap this up for today. I think her condition, physically and mentally isn’t doing so well.” Jihoon said and walked to him. Seokmin nodded sadly. “I’ll go check on her now.”

He followed her swift figure, and could tell one of her hand was trying to wipe something off her face. It has been a month since that night Yuna stayed over at Sojung’s and she had lost a scary amount of weight. He finally arrived at the outdoor wooden benches and Yuna huddled her knees to her chest as she cried silently. Seokmin carefully sat beside her in silence. 

“Maybe, I’m really not cut out for this, maybe my father is right. Maybe if I quit this school things will-“ Yuna blurted out and Seokmin stopped her. “You know that’s not what you want.” Yuna shook her head in confusion. What does she really want?

“A bad day doesn’t mean you’re bad. On the contrary it makes the qualities of being good and better you normal states. There’s a reason you are the main vocalist of GFRIEND.” Seokmin reassured her. “But Yuna, you’re not taking care of your health and that will affect your singing.” Yuna only sobbed more. Seokmin wrapped his arms around Yuna and she instinctively leaned in. “And no matter what, I’ll be here to help you get through it. Don’t worry. Also, we promised to sing on that stage together. No going back on your word.” Seokmin added heartily.

Yuna threw her arms around Seokmin and hugged him back. “Thank you.” Yuna whispered and nodded. She smiled through her tears. “Let’s go I’m ready to expend all this negative energy through dance.” She jumped and he followed suit. “One more thing,” Seokmin started again and Yuna looked at him, Seokmin wiped her tear tracks from her cheeks and pushed her cheeks up to create a pseudo smile on Yuna. “There, looking much better.”

This time Yuna smiled genuinely as they headed back to their studio for their grind. There was only a month to the concert and finals. They have no time to lose.

—————

By the time the two emcees and their respective groups were done, it was close to 10pm. “Bruh, we still have to study!” Jeonghan commented and Jisoo too, sighed. “We’re sorry hyungs, but you guys can be excused if you need to catch up because we’re done with your parts.” Soonyoung said and the two 95 liners sighed in relief.

“Thank you so much Hosh!” Jeonghan said and headed to the library with Jisoo. As they turned into a corner, they stopped in their tracks and gaped as they saw Sojung being lifted off her feet by a strong guy with a student in front of her. The long, lean figure was unmistakenable. “This isn’t right. Let’s go.” As they neared Sojung, they could see her struggle but the man’s huge hands covered , preventing her from making any sound.

“Hey you!” Jeonghan yelled and the man immediately dropped Sojung to the floor and they quickly left. Sojung gasped for air as she knelt on the floor. They helped her up and she found it hard to stabilise herself. “Thank you.” Sojung said as they followed her to a seat.

“What was that, Sojung?” Jisoo asked and offered her some water. “I’m not too sure either.” Sojung brushed it off, not wanting them to get involved. She tried to stand up on her own again but collapsed back to the chair. I should really be going home.” Jeonghan and Jisoo nodded and watched her hobble to take her stuff. They saw her exchanging some words with Seungcheol and knew that she insisted he stayed to study.

 

“I’m going home with Mingyu, not to worry. I’ll get some rest before the test the day after tomorrow.” She smiled and waved at him before meeting Jeonghan and Jisoo at the door again. “You’re going back alone?” She shook her head. Just them Min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter