35th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A few days have passed and Jimin noticed Taehyung's been acting odd. He would suddenly get this earnest expression on his face like he wanted to say something, but then would stay silent and go back to being cheerful. And there were other times where Jimin would be saying something and Taehyung would be spacing out, acting like he didn't when he got called out. It's Friday now and as Jimin came out of his last class for the day, he looked up and saw Taehyung saying something to Jin. The latter had his back turned, but the expression on Taehyung's face said the conversation was about something serious.
 

Jimin wasn't even within sight yet when Taehyung abruptly stopped talking and suddenly looked right at him, his expression still serious. It startled Jimin for a moment, but shook it off and continued towards them. When he came up beside Jin, the latter smiled and wrapped an arm around him.
 

"Do you guys want to go somewhere today? It's nice and sunny outside." said Jimin with his usual bright smile, even though he actually wanted to ask what they were talking about.
 

But he also knew that neither would tell him.
 

"I have something going on with Namjoon today." said Jin with an apologetic expression, then looked over at Taehyung and gave him a rather stern look, "But Taehyung's free for the rest of the afternoon."
 

Jimin looked at his friend and caught him glaring at Jin just before he quickly changed his expression to a smile. Jimin looked back at Jin and just knew there was something he was missing.
 

"You're both being weird." he said with an exasperated sigh.
 

Jin merely chuckled at that and gave him a hug while Taehyung just looked away, his smile gone.


================================


The walk to Taehyung's house wasn't exactly quiet, but it wasn't as lively as it usually was. Taehyung had looked over several times when he thought Jimin wasn't paying attention and had suppressed multiple sighs. When they arrived, they found the house empty and Jimin could swear that made Taehyung tense up even more. Just what was going on with his best friend?


Taehyung tossed his book bag onto the couch and went into the kitchen, Jimin stayed put for a second before doing the same and also tossed his bag on the couch. He stepped into the kitchen and saw Taehyung by the sink drinking a glass of water, his hand just slightly trembling. Jimin was about to call out to him when his friend lowered the glass and set it on the counter.


"I-I... I have something to tell you." he said, his voice quiet, "It's not going to leave me alone until you know."


Jimin stepped up and gently placed a hand on Taehyung's arm, just barely noticing the uncertainty and fear in his friend's expression.


"What is it?" asked Jimin in a soft tone, knowing this was something serious.


Taehyung let his eyes wander for a moment before looking at Jimin, he merely stared for a moment then quietly excused himself and left the kitchen. Jimin could only wait patiently, looking at the glass on the counter and noticed some small cracks that he was sure weren't there before. Furrowing his brows, Jimin picked up the glass to bring it closer and saw the cracks were only on the side where Taehyung had been holding it. He knows his friend has a rather strong grip, but he doesn't think it's strong enough to actually crack a glass like this.


"I did do that." Taehyung suddenly speaking startled Jimin as he gasped while the glass slipped from his hand.


But it never shattered and now Jimin had his eyes wide open as he stared at Taehyung, who was suddenly standing right in front of him holding the glass. Setting it down on the counter, Taehyung took a deep breath and faced Jimin with his gray eyes; he had gone to take off his brown contacts.


"You've been the only one who's never said my eyes were weird, y-you were actually the first person to think they're beautiful." he quietly began, "You were also the only one who took the time to get to know me... no matter how mean I was to you. I've ignored you, then said terrible things to you, and even pushed you. But you kept coming back."
 

"You never gave up trying to be my friend and you got so happy when I finally told you my name." a small smile appeared on Taehyung's face as he took a step closer, "Remember that?"
 

Jimin nodded with a small smile of his own, fondly and vividly remembering the time. Taehyung looked hesitant for a moment before tentatively reaching out and held both of Jimin's hands in his, but he didn't look up to meet eyes this time.
 

"Before I moved here, I had promised myself to never talk to anyone and just go through school unnoticed like a ghost." he continued, "My mom had suggested I go to the academy instead of a normal school because it would be less of a hassle for me, but I refused. I hated the idea of going to that place."
 

"Wait a minute, some things don't make sense to me." said Jimin, his brows furrowing, "Isn't the academy only for people with abilities? Why did your mom want you to go there? Because your dad's the dean? Why is he the dean? Does he have abilities?"
 

He knew he was probably overwhelming Taehyung with his questioning, but Jimin just couldn't hold back anymore. There was suddenly so much he didn't know about his best friend and it made his chest feel tight. Just what was he doing this whole time that he never noticed Taehyung was part of a whole other world?
 

"He's a vampire, Jimin. My father's a vampire." said Taehyung while raising his head and looked at his friend with determined eyes, his voice no longer quiet but strong and audible, "Mix that with a human and you get me. A dhampir."


Jimin didn't know what to say at all, he didn't even know if he should say something.


"That's how I was always able to make you feel better without you having to tell me what was wrong." said Taehyung, his tone quiet again as he looked away, "I can read minds like Jin can, so I would go into yours sometimes and see what was needed to make you smile again."
 

Jimin tugged at his hands for Taehyung to let go, making the latter look at him with an alarmed expression as he tightened his grip instead. 
 

"I-I know that was an invasion of your privacy, but I swear I've never read your thoughts out of ill intentions." he quickly added, sounding panicked, "I only did it because I didn't like seeing you sad or upset. Y-You were always trying to make me happy, so I just wanted to return the favor."
 

"Let go." said Jimin, his tone neutral as he lowered his gaze.
 

"No." said Tahyung, sounding distressed.
 

"Let go, Taehyung." repeated Jimin, sounding more firm.
 

"N-No..." repeated Taehyung, tightening his grip even more.
 

"If you don't let go this second, I swear I'm going to kick you so hard you'll feel it for weeks." warned Jimin through gritted teeth, "You may be half vampire, but I know you can still feel physical pain."
 

Taehyung hesitated for a while, but he eventually loosened his grip and slowly let Jimin's hands go. The latter stayed still for a moment,

Please log in to read the full chapter