36th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The next morning, Taehyung spent a good thirty minutes looking at himself in the mirror wondering if he looked alright. Turning his head head this way and that, he let out a sigh and smiled a bit. Yes, he looked perfectly fine. He stepped out of the bathroom to get his book bag then headed down to the kitchen where his mom had finished preparing breakfast. When she turned around to greet him, she gave a startled blink before a warm smile spread across her face.
 

"Do you want a ride to school today?" she asked as she set down their plates at the table.
 

"No, thanks, I'm going to be walking with Jimin." replied Taehyung while taking a seat and as he picked up his eating utensils, he casually added, "He knows I'm a dhampir, by the way."
 

His mom, who was about to take a bite of her food, stared at him with a stunned expression before smiling gently and reached across the table to place a hand atop his. Taehyung smiled at that and both started eating, then his mom asked who Namjoon was mid-meal which had him coughing and reaching for his water.
 

"H-How do you know that name?" asked Taehyung, his heart beating just a little faster in panic.
 

"Your dad." his mom replied with a raised eyebrow, "How come I had to hear from Jihoon that you have a boyfriend and not from you? How dare you keep that from me?"
 

She didn't sound mad or upset at all, she actually sounded quite amused.


"How did that man find out?" grumbled Taehyung with a frown.


"He saw you the other day at the academy." said his mom with a laugh, "He told me you were walking and talking with Namjoon looking pretty happy. The happiest he's ever seen you. So, Jihoon called Namjoon into his office after you left and basically interrogated the poor boy."
 

"What?!" exclaimed Taehyung in disbelief as he abruptly stood up, "That man has no right meddling in my business!"
 

"He's your father, Taehyung." said his mom patiently, "He was just worried and-"
 

"That doesn't mean he can go interrogating the people in my life!" interrupted Taehyung, "He could have just asked me directly."
 

"Let's be honest here, would you really have given him any answers?" she skeptically asked, "You've been shutting Jihoon out this whole time, I highly doubt you would confide in him so easily had he asked you directly."
 

Knowing she had a point, Taehyung didn't argue and instead said he would be leaving now and grabbed his book bag. He somewhat flinched when his mom called after him to bring Namjoon over sometime so she could properly meet him. Taehyung just waved his hand in mock impatience before heading out the door. When he locked it and turned around, he was startled to see Jimin standing there with a bright grin on his face. The latter gasped as his eyes widened in surprise.
 

"You're not wearing your contacts!" he exclaimed, causing Taehyung to avert his gaze as a light blush bloomed on his cheeks.
 

"Aw, don't get shy on me now." cooed Jimin as he reached up and lightly pinched his best friend's cheeks.
 

"I'm not." said Taehyung while awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck, then tentatively looked up, "Anyway, how come you're at my house? I'm usually the one who goes over to yours."


"Changing things up once in a while is good." replied Jimin with a laugh, his bright smile coming back as he took Taehyung's hand and led him down the front steps.
 

They had walked about halfway to school when a honk startled them both, making them turn around with wide eyes. There was Namjoon's car and the passenger window rolled down, revealing a grinning Jin who waved them over. Taehyung and Jimin exchanged a glance before going over to the car and climbed into the back seat. Jimin right away flung his arms around Jin's shoulders from behind along with the car seat and gave him a kiss on the cheek, prompting an amused laugh from the older. Taehyung gave his friend a grimace before accidentally catching Namjoon's eye in the rearview mirror and offered a somewhat shy smile.
 

Namjoon, however, just stared at Taehyung with a scrutinizing expression before abruptly turning around in his seat. He then reached out to cup the side of the younger's face and gently brushed a thumb across his cheek.
 

"Your eyes..." said Namjoon, his own round with wonder.
 

"W-What about them?" asked Taehyung, sounding a little defensive.
 

"I think I've only seen you without your contacts once, but I wasn't able to take a good look." said Namjoon with a light frown, he then smiled so big and cheerful his eyes turned to crescents, "Wow... they're a beautiful shade of gray. I really like them, so please don't hide them anymore."
 

Taehyung blushed as he averted his gaze, his heart skipping a beat when Namjoon chuckled and leaned in the best he could to drop a quick kiss on his lips. Raising a hand to his bottom lip, Taehyung tentatively looked up and saw Namjoon had started driving again with a happy smile on his face. He looked beside him and saw Jimin was busy holding a conversation with Jin, the two looking casual as they laughed together.
 

"By the way, Namjoon." started Jimin, the older glancing at him through the rearview mirror to show he was listening, "Aren't you supposed to be at the academy right now?"
 

"I don't start class until noon." replied Namjoon, "The academy schedules are like a college, some of us start early and others start later. We even have the option of night classes."
 

"That sounds cool." said Jimin with big eyes, then curiously tilted his head to the side, "What about Jungkook? Did he have to start early today?"
 

"Yeah." replied Namjoon with a laugh as he made a turn, "He was throwing a tantrum because he wanted to tag along, but he had an important test today so he couldn't skip class."
 

"You guys shouldn't be skipping class, anyway." said Jin as he side-eyed his friend.
 

"Says the biggest ditcher the academy's ever had." said Namjoon with raised eyebrows, "I'm surprised you didn't get expelled from how many times you didn't show up to class. Oh, and don't even get me started on how many detentions you've had from being caught sleeping."


Jin calmly reached over and pinched Namjoon's arm, causing the latter to yelp and his his friend a look of disbelief.
 

"One more word out of you and I'm telling them how you almost went bald putting out an electrical fire you caused." said Jin with a sweet smile, but there was a menacing glint in his eyes.
 

"Ooh, tell us, Seokjin, tell us!" prompted Jimin excitedly.
 

"Jin, I will make sure you go bald right here, right now. Don't you dare say anything." warned Namjoon as light flames started rising from his knuckles on the wheel.
 

"What do you say, Taehyung?" asked Jin, ignoring him as he turned his head towards the back and grinned at the younger, "Do you want to hear some embarrassing stories about your boyfriend?"
 

Taehyung looked at Namjoon first and the latter shook his head vigorously, silently begging him to say no, he looked back at Jin and slowly nodded with a small smile. Jimin cheered while Jin grinned evilly.
 

"Taehyung, I promise to tell you those stories myself when it's just the two of us!" said Namjoon in desperation, "I'll even stop right now and kick these two out so we can go somewhere."
 

"Hm, which story should I tell first?" wondered Jin out loud, ignoring everything again as he thoughtfully tapped his chin.
 

"You shouldn't be encouraging people to skip class, Namjoon." said Jimin with a pout.
 

"I'm not." said Namjoon while shaking his head, "I just don't want to give Jin the satisfaction of embarrassing me right now."
 

"Oh, I know." said Jin, still paying his friend no mind, "I'll tell the one about the ghost in the academy's library."
 

"Jin, I will literally throw you out of this car!" threatened Namjoon, his voice becoming comically high pitched.


"What happened?" asked Jimin excitedly while Taehyung sat up attentively.


"I'll tell Jimin about the pink teddy bear, I swear!" exclaimed Namjoon in a final attempt as Jin opened his mouth to reply.
 

The car got eerily quiet as Jin slowly turned his head to look at Namjoon, a blank expression on his face. Taehyung and Jimin carefully watched the two like a tennis match, wondering who was going to have the next word. Namjoon refused to make eye contact with Jin, but the latter didn't seem to mind and just continued to stare hard at his friend. Suddenly, Namjoon's eyes widened in horror as his cheeks turned beet red and he almost swerved. So he pulled over and turned to face Jin with an expression of shock, embarrassment, annoyance, and even a little betrayal if you looked closely.
 

The two looked like they were having a staring contest, but Taehyung knew they were telepathically arguing and stifled a laugh. He looked over at Jimin and almost cooed out loud when he saw the adorable look of confusion on his best friend's face.
 

"They're having a battle." explained Taehyung quietly, then lightly tapped Jimin's head, "In there. They don't want us to hear the embarrassing things they're throwing at each other."
 

Jimin's face lit up in understanding and he quietly

Please log in to read the full chapter