29th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

As Jin ran to keep up with Taehyung, he noticed the younger's pace would slow for a bit before picking back up and he would stagger now and then. When Taehyung came to a stop and suddenly swayed to the side, Jin got a bad feeling and keep running until he just barely managed to catch the younger before he hit the ground. Barely keeping his eyes open, Taehyung looked up at Jin and weakly struggled to get free.
 

"Let go... I have to... find Jimin." he breathlessly said.
 

"Why haven't you been feeding, Taehyung?" asked Jin with a concerned frown, keeping a firm grip on the younger, "You know this happens when you go too long without blood."
 

"G-Go look for Jimin, I'll just... rest here for a bit." said Taehyung, still trying to pull free.
 

"I'm not leaving you here like this by yourself." said Jin in disapproval as he brought up the younger's arm to wrap it around his own shoulders.
 

"I don't want to accidentally bite you." protested Taehyung weakly, but didn't fight anymore and just let Jin pick him up bridal-style.
 

"You won't if you let me help you." said Jin as he started walking quickly but cautiously.
 

Taehyung didn't say anything else and just let his head rest on Jin's shoulder, the latter clearly hearing and feeling the heavy breathing. On the way to the infirmary, Jin knew Taehyung was trying so hard not to give in to his vampiric instinct. Even though the younger now had his lips dangerously close to the side of Jin's throat, the latter felt no fear nor apprehension because he knew Taehyung was stronger than this.
 

"You smell really sweet." murmured Taehyung somewhat deliriously, his free hand coming up to hold the other side of Jin's neck, "But Namjoon's sweeter."
 

"We're almost to the infirmary, Taehyung. Just hold on a bit longer, okay?" said Jin as he picked up his pace the best he could.
 

"There's only human blood here... I-I don't want that." said Taehyung, then whimpered softly as his fangs started coming out.
 

Jin lightly grimaced when he felt Taehyung's nails digging into his shoulder, but knew well it couldn't compare to the pain the younger must be feeling right now. Finally reaching the door he was looking for, Jin used his foot and kicked it a few times until Dara opened it with wide eyes. She looked at the half-passed out Taehyung in Jin's arms and stepped aside to let them in.
 

"Bring him over here." she said as she led him to an empty bed away from the open windows.
 

Jin did as told and carefully put Taehyung down, the latter making soft sounds of discomfort and immediately curled into a fetal position once he was let go.
 

"He hasn't had blood in a while and almost fainted." explained Jin just as Dara turned towards him for an explanation.
 

She just nodded and sat at the edge of the bed to take a closer look at Taehyung's condition, the latter flinching away and shutting his eyes as soon as he felt her hand on his forehead. Jin looked over his shoulder just as Namjoon raised a hand to get his attention. His friend smiled somewhat sheepishly and lowered his hand again, but his face grew concerned as his eyes traveled over to Taehyung.
 

"You need to stop doing this to yourself." said Dara with a disapproving frown when she finished her check-up, "Your body needs blood like a human needs water. Without it, you'll grow weak and fatigued."
 

"I don't -"
 

"Yes, yes, you don't drink human blood." interrupted Dara a bit exasperatedly as she got up and put her hands on her hips, "I'm not going to force you to, either, so I'll give you one of my units for now and see if that helps."
 

Taehyung slowly opened his eyes and watched the blonde woman head towards her desk, where she pulled out her pink book bag and rummaged through it. He then got waft of a familiar scent and turned his head, seeing Namjoon sitting there behind him with a small smile and gently his hair. Taehyung wanted to tell him to stay away, but the aroma Namjoon emitted was too good and his touches were so warm that all he could do was close his eyes and inhale deeply. His throat started burning with the thirst and he unconsciously took hold of the hand that was running through his hair, his mind completely fogged. But just as he had Namjoon's wrist hovering in front of his open mouth, Taehyung caught himself and turned his face away while opening his eyes.
 

They had turned red and he was panting as he fought the urge to sink his fangs into Namjoon's wrist. Jin was prepared to pull his friend away and get him out of here in case Taehyung lost control, but he got a look of warning from Namjoon and unwillingly stayed put. Dara came back and knelt beside Taehyung while handing him a pouch that looked exactly like the ones he had at home. Confused, he looked up at the blonde woman questioningly and was more confused when she smiled kindly at him.
 

"I'm a dhampir, just like you." she said in understanding.
 

He just looked at her with shocked eyes, unable to comprehend what he just heard. While Taehyung was distracted processing the information, Namjoon carefully helped him up to a sitting position and took the pouch from Dara. He kept an arm around the younger's waist to hold him up while his other hand held up the now open pouch to Taehyung's lips. The latter, whose head had wearily dropped to Namjoon's shoulder, looked at it unsurely before raising a hand and weakly pushed it away.
 

"Don't want it..." he mumbled stubbornly.
 

"But you need it." said Namjoon softly as he brought the pouch back up to the younger's lips, "Please, just take one drink from it... Do it for me."
 

Taehyung looked like he was about to protest again, but he looked up at Namjoon's concerned face and his words wouldn't come out. So he looked back down at the pouch and gave a very slight nod. Taehyung took one single drink from the pouch and when he turned his face away from it, he hated how his body was already demanding for more. Namjoon didn't insist that he drink some more, but Dara did and he could only glare at her since he was still feeling weak.
 

"Give me all the dirty looks you want, Taehyung, but you will drink everything in there." said Dara, her kind eyes now stern, "I know what it's like to feel disgusted with that part of yourself, but you can either make peace with it or lose yourself forever."
 

"What's it to you what happens to me?" said Taehyung with a scowl now, "You're just an outsider who has nothing to do with this."
 

"I used to be just like you." said Dara, her tone soft though her eyes remained firm, "Full of self-hate, feeling lost about where I belonged. But then I came to this academy and met others of my kind who helped me accept that part of myself."
 

When Taehyung looked taken aback by that, Dara finally smiled a smile that made her look even younger.
 

"Yes, Taehyung, there are other dhampirs in this academy." she said, "Mr. Jung takes in anyone and everyone who is different from the average human. This is the first real home to most people and no one feels out of place here."
 

Dara then sat at the edge of the bed again and reached out to

Please log in to read the full chapter