30th piece

Puzzle
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Avoiding people whom you see on a daily basis is a lot harder than one would think. Jimin was currently walking down the hall, purposely hiding behind a group of girls who were talking amongst themselves. His gaze kept darting around and he would give a small jump at every little sound he would hear. The cause for his current state? He was trying to avoid Taehyung and Jin for two different reasons.
 

The girls started heading for the stairs and Jimin's eyes widened in panic when he looked up and saw Taehyung was coming down. The latter's eyes were roaming the hall as he slowly came down the steps and Jimin knew he was the one his friend was searching for. Without a second thought, Jimin shielded his face with his hand and swiftly turned back around. He made it a few steps when he looked up and to his horror, he saw Jin walking in his direction. The older was luckily looking down at something in his phone, letting Jimin make a quick turn to the right and go into another hallway.
 

He tried blending in with the other students while sending quick glances over his shoulder now and then in case one of the two had seen him. Passing by a window, Jimin lightly shivered when he felt a rather cool breeze and just kept walking. Had he looked back, he would have seen the window was closed. Reaching the end of the hallway, Jimin was so distracted by his thoughts as he rounded the corner that he bumped into someone. Fixing his askew glasses, he looked up to apologize only for his eyes to widen in shock.
 

There was Taehyung with an unreadable expression as he stared right into Jimin's eyes, making the latter gulp nervously.
 

"H-How are you over here? Weren't you just back there?" asked Jimin while pointing behind him.
 

"So you did see me." stated Taehyung, his tone just as indescribable.
 

Before Jimin could make something up, Taehyung grabbed him by the wrist and started walking. The tardy bell rang and Jimin was kind of disappointed it was their lunch hour, meaning he couldn't use class as an excuse to run. So, he had no choice but to let Taehyung lead them to an empty classroom as a feeling of dread crept up on him. Once inside, Taehyung closed the door and left the lights off before turning towards Jimin with his arms crossed.
 

"Why have you been avoiding me?" he asked, his eyes searching, "And don't say you haven't because I know you have a habit of avoiding me when you're trying to hide something. Good or bad."
 

"I was just... very busy this morning." replied Jimin hesitantly while playing with his fingers, "There was some homework I didn't get to finish and -"
 

"Stop lying." interrupted Taehyung, his voice rising a bit in exasperation, "You've been avoiding me since yesterday, Jimin, since we got back from that place. You were speaking fine with the others, but it was like you didn't want to come anywhere near me."
 

"That's not true." protested Jimin, feeling a stab of guilt as he lowered his gaze to the floor.
 

"Then why did you turn around when you saw me just now?" asked Taehyung, sounding hurt, "And this morning, I know you saw me waving at you yet you just kept walking."
 

Jimin heard him coming closer and looked up, his heart sinking when he saw a look of hesitance and uncertainty on his friend's face.
 

"D-Did you hear something about me? Was it bad? Is that why you're avoiding me?" asked Taehyung all at once.
 

And the way he said it made Jimin feel worse, knowing it makes Taehyung really insecure when he hides something. Good or bad, he would start asking if it has something to do with him.
 

"I did hear something about you, but it wasn't bad." said Jimin slowly as he tried to find the right words, then looked up at his friend with a reluctant expression, "Well, at least I don't think it's bad."
 

Taehyung's eyes searched Jimin's for any trace of a lie, but couldn't find one. The latter held out his hands and Taehyung took them right away without breaking eye contact.
 

"What did you hear?" he asked in a hushed tone, as if he was afraid of the answer.
 

"Mr. Jung told me he's your dad." said Jimin, plain and simple.
 

Taehyung's expression went from agitated to completely blank, even his eyes seemed to have dimmed.
 

"That is something bad. Terrible, even." he said, his tone chillingly monotonous.
 

"How?" asked Jimin cautiously.
 

"Because it's not true." said Taehyung, his eyes then narrowed the slightest bit, "How can someone like Mr. Jung be my father? It's ridiculous."
 

"I doubted him at first, but then he started describing you so well." said Jimin, "He even knows about your eyes and why you hide them."
 

Taehyung let out a quiet breath of frustration as he closed his eyes and let go

Please log in to read the full chapter