Explanation

The Book Of Fate

The café was not that far away from Aemi's house. It was popular for its' unique design, historical style, to be specific. "Welcome to Goryeo Café miss," The waitress greeted Aemi, bowing a little bit. They were wearing a special historical uniform. Aemi bowed back in return. "May I know how many people miss?" The waitress asked kindly which made Aemi smiled. "For two people," By that answer, the waitress guides her to a two seat table near the big glass wall. "Will this be okay miss?" The waitress asked for confirmation. Aemi nodded her head and sat down as the waitress handed her the menu. "Please do call us with this button miss," The waitress then left to let Aemi scanning through the menu.

 

It was already past 10 am, by 10 minutes, but Myungsoo was still nowhere to be seen. Letting out a big sigh, Aemi pressed the button to ordered her food. The waitress quickly assisted her. "Can I-" "Sorry Princess, I'm late," Myungsoo suddenly appeared. Feeling furious, Aemi decided to ignore him. "One chamomile tea and one chocolate pancake please," The waitress who by now felt uneasy by the sudden suffocating atmosphere wrote down her order in hurry. "And you sir?"

 

"The same one," The waitress then left them alone. "Are you mad?" Myungsoo started. Ignoring him, Aemi just kept on looking outside. Myungsoo sighed and eventually started to stare at her, in a deep thought. A tear escape from Aemi's eye as she brushed it away. "Was the dream real?" Turning around, now facing Myungsoo who just came back to reality. "Ah… ermm…"

 

"What now? You said you will explain. So start speaking up," Feeling something stuck in his throat, Myungsoo grabbed a cup of water and gulped in one shot. "I-" "Miss and Sir, here is your orders," The waitress put down all the foods and drinks on the table. Myungsoo cleared his throat and Aemi diverted her attention to the outside again, ignoring him. Finally getting the situation, the waitress mentally hit her head muttering how foolish she had been. "Excuse me," Slowly, the waitress left them.

 

"Ahn Aemi, do you have to act like this?" Standing up and moving the chair, sitting next to Aemi. Forcefully, he turned her around to face him. "Stay like this for a minute," He gulped as he stared at her face. The longing face he has been waiting for to see is real, she's in front of him. "Ahn Aemi, marry me," The words he always wanted to say to her, finally he did it. Aemi gave him a bewildered look. After a while of silence, he finally realised what he just did. "N- I- I mean, you don't have to answer that now," Diverting his attention to elsewhere and gulped. Aemi felt offended. Did he think she was easy? "What makes you think that I will marry you!?" Her arms crossed while backing away a little bit.

 

Myungsoo mentally slapped himself, but still forcing himself to face her again. "I'm sorry. I've been waiting to say that to you for so long. You know well about that too. In our previous life, I had been a fool and so I lose the chance to say those words," He looked at her in determination. "Previous life?" Flashbacks then appeared to her. "It- was- real. I died. I died. So… why am I here?" Her big brown eyes glistened. She was going to cry. "Because God gave us a chance… You did die in the past. I did live. But without you, I was suffering so much. After the fail rebellion, we were stripped of our rank and were deported from Joseon. We live in an island, guarded. Every day, the thought of killing myself always in my mind. If only, I was more careful, the arrow…. Why…. did you have to take it?" Myungsoo was holding his tears.

 

"Because I only thought of saving you since I was not from there. And because…. I…" Aemi trailed off. "loved you," Myungsoo's eyes widen and started to get anxious. "Loved… did you say loved or love?" Not realising he was closing the gap between them. Aemi's forced herself to lent closer on the wall. It was a good thing that only a few people are around them. He was staring at her while Aemi lowered her head. Restless. Scared. Anxious. Suddenly, she stood up. "Give way, I'm going," She sternly said to speechless Myungsoo who looked up to her like a lost puppy. Eventually, he gave up. "Don't try to see me anymore. Live well. The past is the past." Bowing to the defeated Myungsoo, she then left him.

 

"I would like to pay please," Aemi was obvious. She was trying to hold her tears. The cashier knew this as her eyes were red. "It's 38,000 won miss," The cashier awkwardly glance at Aemi who has been spacing out. "Miss.." "D-deh? How much is it?" Before she can even reach her purse on her bag, a hand holding a card, reached out to the cashier. The cashier quickly grabbed it, wanting the whole thing to be done. "I'll pay," Myungsoo lowly said. Aemi bowed to him and went out of the café, not even making eye contact.

 

"Sir.." Myungsoo was spacing out. "Ermm sir?" "Deh?" Carefully, the cashier pointed him the receipt. "Do please sign here,"  He signed and then was about to leave when the waitress gave him a box. "We packed the foods and drinks for you, sir. We hope you get the girl soon," A pain struck his chest. He smiled bitterly before leaving the café. "Aigoo, I can't believe that girl rejected someone as hot as him," The waitress commented. "We never know. Now get back to work" The cashier replied which earned a scowl from the waitress.

 

"Ah, you're back? How was-" "I'm going to lock myself in my room. So don't disturb me," Aemi cut off her mom as she climbed up the stairs. "What's-" Mrs.Ahn couldn't even finish her sentence as she heard a bang sound of Aemi's door. "what happens to her?" Mr.Ahn who had been sitting on the couch watching TV finally spoken after eyeing his daughter. "Boy problem?" Mrs.Ahn suddenly blurted out what she thought which made Mr.Ahn laughed out loud. "You think so? She's not that type of girl you know. Maybe just a rough day," Mr.Ahn brushed his wife's remark.