The Assassin

The Book Of Fate
Chapter 17 : The Assassin 
She asked me again if I am willing to do it and so I nodded my head in assurance. 
 
 

Taeyong's POV:

I excused myself from the lady. My wilted flower. 'I'm sorry' I said softly as I exit her chamber. The lady, no, the future queen, Lady Seolhyun, had ordered me to kill Princess Aemi. But I cannot do it. I realised how fool I was for always trusting her. She had become greedy. I know that she has a crush on the king for a long time already but the fact that she was willing to kill an innocent person for the sake of her satisfaction is just so wrong. From now on, I am a free man, just like what Princess Aemi said. I will find my own path and I will protect Princess Aemi when she needs me to.

Flashback:

I was watching Princess Aemi's every move. She was always helping out the people here in the small village. They called her the outcast princess. The whole town was assuming that because she was living with the outcast prince. She had so many admirers but the fact that girls also looked up to her was amazing. In fact, I was stunned to see how improved the village had been. People have been eating enough food through her guidance with farming. Princess Muk Ja was right, she is suitable to be the Queen of this country.

I stopped following her when she entered the jungle path. Prince Junki is really sharp so I cannot just carelessly be around him. Prince Myungsoo also the problem here. I often saw him coming here a lot. I went back to my temporary place where I record everything about her. I needed a good plan to kill her but deep down, I knew that I could not do it. I laid down on my thin layer bed and tried to sleep.

As morning came, like usual, Princess Aemi should be heading to the small hut where she taught the children how to read though she still lacking. She also taught English to them which is not surprising as she had been growing up in a Western country. I was watching her intensively when suddenly we make an eye contact. Quickly, I walked away from there with my head low. She saw me. I must kill her as soon as possible. "Ehem," I stopped on my track and looked up to see Prince Junki. Crap.

I changed my direction but Prince Myungsoo was blocking me. I was trapped. Prince Junki smirked at me. "Let's leave quietly, shall we? You don't want to try to fight us, aren't you?" My knuckles turned white. I am busted. "What are you guys doing there?" I heard Princess Aemi's voice. Then I saw her who looked at me with surprise face. "Taeyong-sshi, what are you doing here? I thought I saw you just now and I was right," I looked at her in shocked. How did she know me? The two princes also looked at her in puzzlement.

I was dragged to their house where I was left with the two princes. "So, who sent you here?" Prince Junki began questioning me. I kept quiet as I promise to Princess Muk Ja to be mute for the rest of my life. "Are you mute?" Prince Myungsoo asked. He is sharp but not sharp enough to know that I am not mute. I nodded my head. Prince Junki sighed. "I found it!" Princess Aemi came in the room. She asked to be left alone with me.

She just sat opposite of me without saying anything. I can felt her stare. "I know you can talk, Taeyong-sshi. My mum told me about you. She told me to specifically delivered this message. She passed me a roll paper. I looked at it curiously and then at her who gestured me to open it.

'Taeyong-ah, I know it must be hard for you to live like a shadow. I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to be mute. I am sorry for not being a good mother to you. Live your life to the fullest. You can forget about our promise now. Be free. Please protect Princess Aemi. I love you. Princess Muk Ja'

My hands were shaking as I tried to hold my tears from falling. I stood up then kneel in front of Princess Aemi. "I- I'm sorry," Was all I said. Princess Aemi helped me get up. She patted me on my back to calm me down. "I am the one who sorry. Taeyong-sshi, I know why you are here. Lady Seolhyun sent you to kill me right?" Now, I was utterly shocked. I cried again and apologised to her. I underestimated her. She kept on patting my back. "Don't be like this. It's okay. I understand. Now please, can you tell me everything. I need to know everything. The reason," She said softly to me.

When I calmed myself, I explained to her everything. I am more shocked than ever to know that I was not the first. She had sent many assassins before me. I knew now the true self of Seolhyun. All this time, I let myself to be manipulated by her. She is a monster. Does the King know all of this? "Ehem!" Prince Junki slammed his hands on the table. I flinched. He is known as the black beast for no reason. "Junki! Don't scare him off. Why do you always try to scare people?" Aemi glared at him. "She's right hyung, you will just end up hurting your hands. There is no use for you to do that," Prince Myungsoo supported Aemi which was rare to see. Normally, Prince Myungsoo will act cold but I guess the ice prince melt when with Aemi. "Aish! These two lovebirds. Just get marry already!" Junki said out loud which stumped the two of them. I was wondering too why are they not marry yet. All this time, I just assume it has something to do with the King but now, after hearing the question from Prince Junki, I am certain they can get marry if they want too.

"Anyway! Back to you Taeyong-sshi, I want you to do something for me," Aemi changed the topic. I can see Prince Junki rolled his eyes. "Do report back to Lady Seolhyun that you killed me already. Prince Junki and Prince Myungsoo will spread the word. In fact, they will be a funeral for me too. I am going to fake my death," By Princess Aemi's statement, the whole room was silent. "Wait, what? Why are you not discussing this with us?" I can feel betrayal by Prince Junki's voice. "Ahh , think I've already told you about this?" Princess Aemi raised her right eyebrow then she sighed when Prince Junki shook his head. Aemi hit his head angrily. "Yah! Were you not listening when I explained to you yesterday? Aish!"

Prince Junki was thinking hard and then shook his head again. "I only remembered you were planning to catch the killer alive, then…. I think dozed off," Aemi sighed hearing that. "Anyway, Taeyong-shhi, that is my plan. I trust you enough not to tell anyone about it. Princess Muk Ja said I can rely on you. I have been looking for you after Princess Muk Ja was sentenced. Now, I am glad you are here," Automatically, I kneeled down in front of her as respect. Princess Muk Ja must be right, she is destined to be the Queen of Joseon. Princess Aemi ordered me to get up.

She asked me again if I am willing to do it and so I nodded my head in assurance. I will serve Princess Aemi from now own.

End of flashback.

 

"Taeyong!" I heard the King's voice. I bowed to the King respectfully. He was smiling brightly today. "I am happy to see you here. Let's talk," I was brought to the King's luxury room. The maids served lots of food. "I will go straight to the point. Be my guard," The King asked, no, ordered me. "I trust you. Since we have been growing up together," I was speechless. "Your Majesty, I am not mute anymore. Princess Muk Ja-" "I know. You always been a good kid. Did Princess Muk Ja asked you to protect Princess Aemi?" It was silent for awhile till I decided to speak. That's right, I will protect Princess Aemi. "No, your highness. Her last word was for me to be free. Princess Aemi… she was killed just now. I heard the news from Lady Seolhyun," I dropped my head pretending to be mourning. The King slammed his hands on the table in rage. "She was what!!?" This is the time to tell him everything. "It's all Lady Seolhyun's plan. She had sent some assassins to kill Princess Aemi. I was too late when I came there," I can see the raging eyes of the King as he asked the guard to bring Lady Seolhyun for some "fun" times he said. I excused myself, satisfied with how the plan is going on. Though, eliminating Lady Seolhyun was not part of the plan.

 
 
 
 
 

author's notes
Hey guys, will try to update again later. University has started T.T