Mark Tuan

It Will All Be Alright

                Mark Tuan, was the eldest son of the Tuan family and heir to his father's company. His life was decided for him since the day that he was born. Not that he really cared, Mark knew since he was little, what his father had planned for him. When Mark was around 3-years-old, his father had just started his business and his family was struggling to make ends meet. Both his parents had immigrated from Taiwan to the U.S in order to have a better life and provide a better life for their future children, than the life they have back in Taiwan. The Tuans had seen moving to the U.S as an amazing opportunity to make a better life for themselves. However, nothing is ever easy. The Tuans struggled in the beginning years of their move. They had no family in the U.S and couldn't speak English, they moved to California and lived in the cheapest apartment they could find in the area. Mr. Tuan and Mrs. Tuan got multiple jobs, really anything they could get. Mrs. Tuan got pregnant twice with Mark's two older sisters Tammy and Grace. Their struggle only deepened with the addition to their family and they realized they couldn't give their two daughters a better life, they would have to go through the same things as their parents did in Taiwan. But Mr. Tuan worked three jobs and his wife worked one to be able to support their family, saving little by little. 10 years later after having Grace, Mrs. Tuan was unexpectantly pregnant with Mark. All the money the Tuans had been saving to start up their own business ended up having to go to get a bigger place for them to live. Although, Mark was not planned the Tuans were still happy, even though it added more expenses on them. They went back to saving for a business, but with the new addition to the family, Mrs. Tuan was forced to get another job. Which lead to Mark being raised by his older sisters, Mr. and Mrs. Tuan were not able to give a lot of time to their kids because of the constant workload they had. Tammy and Grace had to go to school and could watch over Mark in the mornings and afternoons, which lead to Mrs. Tuan to getting a third job so she could afford a babysitter for Mark. Mr. and Mrs. Tuan both worked long hours and never came back till the wee hours of the morning. Tammy and Grace understood that their parents had to work because they were much older than Mark, but when they were little they at least had their mother to take care of them. Mark never got that, the younger couldn't understand why his parents were never home.

                When Mark was three his dad and mom finally had enough money to pay for their business, they decided to start up a real estate agency, so they could work together. Through the years the Tuan parents were barely able to spend time with each other due to work and their kids, so they thought working together would give them more time together. The first year was tough they had to establish business and clientele, but due to their hard work and warm personalities, their business started to boom. People loved that they were a family oriented business and trusted them to find them a house for their own families. Their business began booming and that was when they realized they were expecting another child, little Joey. Mr. Tuan felt terrible about his wife's earlier pregnancies and told her that she should stay at home for now. Now that their business was booming they could afford for Mrs. Tuan to become a stay at home mom. Which led the couple to be happy that they could finally give their kids the life they wanted for them. Now they could live comfortably and in luxury. Mark was happy with this, he finally had time with his parents. Now his dad came home at normal hours and his mom was home with him. However, much to Mark’s dismay, his parents still didn’t time for him. Seeing as Joey was a baby they dedicated all their time to him because he was more in need of constant attention than Mark.  The Tuans knew that they weren’t able to give Mark attention he needed and tried to show Mark that they loved him just as much by buying him whatever he wanted. Mark’s parent explained to him that Joey was a baby and required more attention and that he had to be a good older brother and look out for his little brother.

                Mark looked after Joey like his sisters had done for him, to show his parents what a good boy he was, in hopes of getting some type of praise. However, no matter how good he was his parents would only praise Joey. After a while, Mark started to resent his little brother, because he thought his parents only loved Joey. One day, when Mark was 12 years old and Joey was 9 years old, they had both been playing in the yard of their house. It was a weekend and both of the Tuan parents were home, which was more normal for the Tuan family now that their real estate business was doing extremely well. They were the top Real estate agency in the western part of the country. Mark was in charge of Joey, making sure the younger didn’t run into the road. The boys were playing basketball, in the middle of their game as Joey was attempting to shoot, Mark had seen a big pitbull run up behind Joey. “Joey watch out!!!” Mark yelled as he pushed his little brother out the way. The dog attacked Mark and bit his leg, Mark was screaming and kicking the dog, finally getting the dog to run away and let his leg go. The Tuans came out after hearing the screaming, but instead of seeing Mark injured in pain. They saw Joey in the corner gasping for air when Mark pushed Joey out of the way the younger landed in the bush and hit a bee nest, hidden in the bushes. Joey was allergic to bees and had gotten stung. Mr. and Mrs. Tuan had freaked out and immediately picked up Joey and took him to the hospital. The had not even noticed Mark in pain on the floor and his leg bleeding out. Mark just watched his parents drive away with Joey leaving him in the yard alone. Mark began sobbing not even able to move. After hearing the crying Tuan’s family neighbors came outside and saw Mark. “Omg! You poor child what happened?” “This Pitbull came and bit me.” Mark sobbed. The neighbors knocked on the door of the Tuan house and their babysitter answered and saw Mark crying. “Mark! What happened?” the babysitter came out and rushed to Mark’s side. “Nichkhun!!” Mark wailed for his babysitter. “Thank you! I’ll take care of him” Nichkhun thank the neighbors and quickly brought Mark to a hospital. The doctor told Mark that he was lucky it was just a flesh wound, but the bite will need some time to heal. Nichkhun thanked the doctor and took Mark home.

                “Mark are you okay? Do you need anything?” Nichkhun asked the younger boy as he helped Mark to bed. Nichkhun had been Tuan’s babysitter since Mark's sister went to work and Mark was 8, Nichkhun was a high school kid looking for a job and that was all the Tuans could afford at the time. Though has Nichkhun grew older he grew attached to Mark and continued to babysit him throughout the years. He worked for the Tuans Agency as he grew older and looked after the Tuan brothers at the same time. Nichkhun watched as Mark grew up and felt sorry for the boy. He could see that all Mark wanted was his parents’ attention.  Mark sniffled at Nichkhun’s question. In a hoarse voice, Mark said “No I’m okay, Hyung” replying in Korean. Nichkhun was a Business major and Korean minor in college and had taught Mark Korean since he was little. Mark was eager to learn Korean to impress his parents by being trilingual, but his efforts weren’t rewarded. His parents were either preoccupied with Joey or work, so when Mark had told them about him learning Korean they just pacified him and gave him any gift he wanted. Mark stilled continued learning even though he didn’t get the praise he wanted from his parents because Nichkhun would praise him and it made him want to learn more. However, now as Mark got older he craved the praise and attention of his parents more and more. Though his parents showered him with gifts, all he wanted was a hug and warm words like his brother.

                The Tuans came home with Joey an hour after Nichkhun and Mark. They went straight up to Mark’s room. “Mama, Papa I” “Mark we are very disappointed in you!” Mr. Tuan stated, leaving Mark shock. “Mr. Tuan, Mark” Nichkhun tried to inform the man about his son’s condition. “That’s is okay Nichkhun. You can leave now. Me and Mrs. Tuan can take care of things now. We need to talk with Mark!” Mr. Tuan Interrupted, Leaving Nichkhun no room to speak. Nichkhun sighed and left the Tuan house, he hoped the Tuan would realize they need to give some TLC to their son. “Mark, I can’t believe you would push you little brother like that. It was just a game and you didn’t need to play so rough. You are older, you are supposed to take care of your little brother not hurt him. To what? win a silly game, Joey fell into a bee’s nest. You know he is allergic to bees! He could have died.” Mark’s mom sternly lectured him. “But Mama” “Not excuses Mark, we want you to apologize to your brother. Come in here Joey.” Mr. Tuan announced, Mark was so confused and upset because all he did was try to save his brother. Joey walked in, “go ahead Mark apologizes” “Joey tell them I didn’t mean to hurt you, I was just pushing you away from the dog.” Mark said pleading to his brother, to shine truth on the situation. “What dog? I don’t know what you talking about there was no dog, you just pushed me.” Mark’s mouth fell open he couldn’t believe his brother; how could he lie like that. “WHAT YOU LIAR! GET OUT! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN” Mark yelled completely frustrated. Joey started to cry and ran out his brother’s room scared, “**SMACK** Mark Yien Tuan! How dare you speak to you brother like that. He just came out the hospital because of your actions. You need to own up to them, not blame your poor brother. Plus, all you have to do is tell us the truth and it will be okay. Don’t lie and make up some ridiculous story about how you were saving your brother from a dog. There was no dog when we came outside.” Mr. Tuan spoke very upset with his son. “But it’s the truth” Mark teared up shocked his dad hit him. “Enough Mark! Your brother could have died, this is serious. If you won’t apologize. Then maybe you can take the rest of the summer vacation to think about your actions.” Mark’s mom said and then proceeded to leave her son’s room with her husband, neither listening to their son.

                Mark cried himself to sleep that night in pain, both from his injury to leg by the Pitbull and the injury to his heart caused by his parents. All Mark ever tried to do was be a good boy and make is parents proud, but nothing he ever did was good enough. He would never be as good as his brother in his parents’ eyes, and this moment proved it to him. He used to hope when he was younger that if he kept up his grades and if he was helpful, that he parents would love him. Even if it they only gave him 5% of the love they gave Joey, he would be happy. Though he finally realized he wasn’t good enough to receive his parents’ love and he never would be. Mark realized there was no point in being good if his parents were going to accuse him of being bad.  Mark never apologized to his brother, nor did he ever speak to him after that incident. He could never forgive his brother for lying like that. Nichkhun noticed the shift in Mark and the Tuan family when he returned. Mark told Nichkhun what happened. “Oh Mark your parents didn’t mean that they love you, they just misunderstood. Don’t worry, I will let them know what happened.” “Don't bother Nichkhun hyung. They made their feelings clear, it doesn’t matter anymore.” “No, but Mark” “NO HYUNG! LEAVE IT ALONE! OR I WILL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU EVER AGAIN! I WON’T FORGIVE YOU!” Mark yelled his face red in anger. Nichkhun was taken aback by the boy’s outburst but realized that Mark was really hurt by his parents’ action and there was no way to reason with the boy. Mark only trusted in Nichkhun at this point, and the elder didn’t want to hurt the boy any further. “Okay. Shushhhh! I won’t tell them anything.” Nichkhun pacified the boy as he pulled the younger into his embrace. Mark calmed down and hugged his hyung back and cried into his chest.

                From then on Mark started to lose interest in anything or anyone. He grades began to drop to B’s and C’s, his attitude made a complete 360. He didn’t trust anyone or talked to anyone, and was cold and curt with anyone who approached him. He would hate coming home, so he would stay out late and come home at 12 am and he started rebelling against his parents. It was funny how they never wanted to acknowledge him when he did well, but when he started acting out, they paid so much attention to him, when he no longer cared. When he turned 13 he started smoking and getting into fights with people. He used to come home with cuts and bruises, worrying his parents.  They began thinking that he was getting bullied and that was the reason for the sudden change in their son. So they transferred him to a private school and gave him his own card to buy anything he wanted, they hoped this would help their son but it just made things worse. Mark started acting out more, picking fights with anyone who confronted him for his rude and cold demeanor. Soon the bruises and cuts started to lessen on Mark, but the frequency of calls they got from his school was more abundant. Mark started getting kicked out of schools, so often he lost a whole year of school and couldn’t graduate. Every time he would get in a school he would be kicked out after 2 or 3 weeks. Mark went through more than 20 schools. He parents were becoming fed up with his attitude and didn’t know what to do with their son anymore.

The Tuans agency grew and became internationally known; establishing offices in China, England, Japan, and Australia. The Tuans were now opening a new office in South Korea and they wanted to send Nichkhun there to run it, they trusted him and he already knew the language. “That’s an honor, I would love to run the new office for you” “that’s good” Mr. Tuan sighed out. “Mr. Tuan are you alright?” “Yeah it just, Mark. I don’t know what going on with him and the only person he talks to these days is you. I just don’t know how he will take it when we tell him you are relocating” Mr. Tuan said expressing his worry for his son. Nichkhun had the same worry, he didn’t want to leave Mark either. The boy was very fragile and he kept acting out to cover it. “Me and his mom were discussing about putting him into to military school, he got kicked out of so many schools, nowhere else is willing to take him” Nichkhun’s eyes widen in shock at the news, “Mr. Tuan I don’t think that is a good idea, Mark’s a good kid” “We have no other choice. He has made it impossible to get into any other school and he just doesn’t seem to care at all.” Nichkhun heard the stress in his boss’s voice and then got a thought, “Mr. Tuan what if you send Mark to study in Korea and I will be his guardian” Mr. Tuan’s eyes widen, “Nichkhun I couldn’t ask you to do that” “I know that why I am offering, you right. Mark might not take the news of me leaving well. Plus, I am a bit worried about leaving him, this way it eases both our minds. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.” “But what about the language barrier. I’m sure that he probably stopped learning Korean from you.” “Actually he has continued to learn Korean from me. He is proficient in speaking and reading, his writing could use some work, but he is still learning. I do believe he has a good enough foundation to excel in school there.” “well, if you don’t think it will be too much of a burden on you.” “Mark could never be a burden on me”. “I’ll go,” Mark said standing in the door frame staring at his father and Nichkhun. “Mark” Nichkhun called out wondering how much of their conversation he heard. “I’ll start packing. When do we leave?” Mark spoke rudely, he dad just sighed “You should thank Nichkhun first!” Mr. Tuan scolded “it is alright! we will leave tomorrow, just pack what will last for a week. We can always buy new things” “fine”. Mr. Tuan shook his head at his son’s attitude and glanced at Nichkhun, “are you sure you can handle him?” Nichkhun looked at Mark and saw his eyes slightly change at his father’s comment, Nichkhun smiled at Mark “Yeah I would love to have Mark with me” Mark got flustered and left after to pack.

                It was decided Mark would leave with Nichkhun, on their flight, Mark fell asleep and all Nichkhun could think was, how he hoped a fresh start will be good for Mark. Mark and Nichkhun arrived and got a penthouse courtesy of the Tuans. Nichkhun started looking into schools for Mark, private school was the only option with Mark’s track record. Mark’s was in enrolled into cube Academy and was quiet, he didn’t want to cause problems for Nichkhun. However, his good behavior was short lived when it got out he was a year older than everyone.  The Kingkas were jealous of the attention Mark got, guys and girls all flood the boy with love letter and gifts. Yet, the boy was uninterested in any advances and didn’t accept anyone’s attempt at friendship.

 Enter the Wild and y Jackson Wang, as he introduced himself to Mark.  “Not interested. I’m not looking for a relationship” Mark said before the boy could continue, his head not even moving from his sleeping position to look at the other. “Yo man! I know people think your RBF is cute, but I am not one of them. Not my type, cold and broody. No thanks! but you’re lucky enough I have a position available for my best friend.” “Not interested” Mark heard the chair next to him move and that’s when he finally looked up and saw a guy grinning at him, his grin resembled the Cheshire from Alice in Wonderland, according to Mark. Mark placed his head back down and ignored the boy. The class came and started chattering away talking about how Mark allowed someone to sit next to him. Jackson continued talking to Mark the whole class with no response back from the older. Which end up with the both of them getting detention. Mark tried explaining that he never talked in class, but the teacher just scoffed at him and asked him if he thought she was stupid, what sane person would talk nonstop to someone for a one hour with no response. Mark had no good answer to that because a person would have to be stupid to not get that someone who ignored them for an hour, doesn’t want to be their friend. But that is exactly what happened. Mark’s day got worse after that, this Jackson guy kept following him everywhere and they had all the same classes. Mark was finally relieved it was the end of the day all he had to do was survive detention without punching this annoying koala in the face.

                Shouldn’t have expected anything less from this annoying parrot, he kept taking the whole hour of detention. Does he ever get tired of speaking? Mark groaned, the teacher finally allowed them to leave. Jackson was still following him, “do you ever stop speaking” Mark spoke harshly, but the other ignored his tone “No, not really. That’s why we fit. I can talk enough for the both of us.” Mark just groan and continued walking. Until they were blocked by these 7 boys, the Kingkas of the school; Minhyuk, Eunkwang, Sungjae, Peniel, Changsub, Hyunsik, and Ilhoon. “well, what do we have here, the two foreign pieces of trash” said Minhyuk. “Get out of my way, ” Mark said holding his temper. “Wo, Jackson you broke the Ice prince’s shield and made friends. Or maybe he just wants to you and throw you away because that all your good for.” Mark stop and look at Jackson’s face, that was the first time all day that Idiot stopped smiling. It irked Mark that Jackson let that affect him and yet Mark’s Cold shoulder did nothing. However, Mark was not getting into whatever these two had with each other. “Listen, I don’t care about whatever you two have with each other, but I’m late. So get out of my way and leave me out your drama.” “Listen, there is nothing between me and Jackson. But me and you have problems, you think you can come here and just be this big . Acting all cool, well I’m gonna put you in your place. And Jackson you you think you can just leave me for this boy.” “you dumped me plus and me and Mark are just friends” “Oh yeah, you are just a stupid . Just running to the next” was as far as Minhyuk got before Mark punched him in his jaw, hard. “Shut up! And get out my way” Mark said finally getting fed up with this , he thought Jackson was annoying but this Minhyuk guy was just an . The rest of the guys rushed at Mark and Jackson, Mark took them out easily leaving them bloody and bruised on the floor. “You just going to stand there, idiot! or get way before teachers come” Mark said to Jackson and then left on his way home. It wasn’t long till Mark got in trouble the next day he was called to the principal office. All seven guys were there with their parents, as was Jackson, and Nichkhun. Mark sighed and knew what was coming, Mark was getting all the blame and the principal told Nichkhun that Mark was not welcome at his school anymore. Nichkhun sighed and apologized to the principal when Jackson busted out saying “It all their fault, not Mark’s” and Jackson told them all what happened, but the principal took the 7 others’ side because of the funding from their parents and Jackson was also expelled. “I’m sorry I got you in trouble Mark, ” Jackson said before leaving.

                “Nichkhun hyung, I’m sorry” “It’s okay Mark. I know you tried, it wasn’t your fault. I understand I am proud you stood up for your friend” “heh he is not my friend” Nichkhun just smirked. The Tuans got annoyed at Mark getting kicked out, but Nichkhun assured them that he will still keep Mark with him. “So you have a new school, JYP Prep. I think you’ll like it here” “I doubt it, but I will try not to get kicked out” “I know you won’t, your friend won’t allow that” “Friend?” Mark questioned before being attacked with a hug by none other than “hey you missed me, Mark” “Jackson” Mark sighed out “What am I saying, of course, you missed me. I am too wild and y not to miss. Oh, your hyung here got me enrolled in this school with you, isn’t that cool.” Mark’s eyes widen and he looked at Nichkhun “you did this. Why?” “Oh look at the time I’m late for work. Don’t worry Mark I’ll have people send over all your stuff to your dorm” “Dorm?” “Yeah, buddy your hyung made us roommates, isn’t that great. Will be together all the time.” “Nich” before Mark could reply, Nichkhun already snuck off.

However, Mark did last his first three 3 years in high school and made another friend during that time, Jaebum or JB, as he liked being referred to as. Actually, Jackson made friends with him and after a year of ignoring him, Mark finally gave in and acknowledged his presence.  After their second year, Mark finally talked to Jaebum. Yet he refused to call him by that ridiculous nickname, JB.


Author Comments

Okay so I figured I'll try to do daily updates, so I don't get writer's block. 

I hope you can understand Mark's personality from this. I Haven't fully developed the others, but before you start picking sides. I'll let you know not everything can 

be concluded about the other characters from this chapter.

Hope you enjoy and remember to subscribe and upvote. 

Also please comment and let me know how you are liking the story. 

Thank you!