That's what Jesus would want

The Purity Club

 

 

160801 Happy Second Anniversary to Red Velvet


 

Dear God, I am sorry that I did not have a chance to pray during the lunch break, but as You have probably noticed, I didn’t get to eat it at all. Some members of our Christian community do not seem to take our mission as seriously as it is expected of them – team S did not finish making their posters for the upcoming Christian Picnic on time, so Junmyeon and I had to help them. Do not worry, I know that You are way too busy to deal with small cases of this sort, so I took it upon myself to punish them in Your name. They are now fasting until tomorrow morning to clear their minds and souls, and to get their priorities straight. Junmyeon and I decided to join them, because it is always good to exercise the straight of your own will.

Sadly, I couldn’t find Sehun the entire afternoon, even thought he had promised to meet us in the canteen for lunch. Sehun is really confused right now, I just know it. Nothing that I say or do brings fruit and I am worried. Where did I go wrong? He used to be a good boy. Now all he does is keep company with Seungwan Son and the rest of those degenerates from her satanic rock band. Excuse my vocabulary, but You also know just how inappropriately they behave and carry themselves. Just look at Seungwan’s hair – it’s like she’s inviting Satan’s into her life.

So please, help my brother overcome his fascination with evil. As for the others, I’ll understand if You decide that they belong in hell. I really will.

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Seungwan? You’re done with class already?’ Upon entering her dormitory room, the red head spots her roommate Joy and the girl’s best friend Yerim splayed on the bed, excitedly looking through some magazines. The older girl nods at them.

‘Just came to put away my textbooks. What are you girlies doing here? Shouldn’t you be in your IC class right now?’ The condescending expression on her roommate’s face tells Seungwan exactly what the former thinks of her Intermediate Challenge preparatory course.

Joy Park is definitely the most brilliant student that Trent Collage has ever had, no doubt about that. She’s probably also among the most conceited ones, but unlike the twin Christians, she actually has something to brag about, at least in Seungwan’s humble opinion. Joy has an uncanny ability to pass all her tests without as much as one glance at her notes; she is able to help her red head companion with the latter’s Physics homework that should technically exceed her own abilities by two academic years; she also wins all regional science-related contests that she bothers to enter.

Her self-satisfaction, however, has nothing to do with her superior intellectual abilities. It comes from the simple fact that she regards everyone else to be too moronic to deal with and not worthy of her time. Save for Yerim - and Seungwan perhaps, although that can’t be ascertained - the rest of the student body is surely beneath her.

‘My new SHINee magazine’s just got here, so I have better things to do.’ Joy shrugs and goes back to staring at the half Korean idols on the cover. Joy is a bit gaga over Korean music and television, but Seungwan supposes that with a brain like that, her roommate deserves some childish stress relief. She doesn’t want Joy’s head to burst in flames at the tender age of 15, due to all those deep intellectual thoughts that she is constantly forced to engage in.

In all the time that Seungwan has lived with the younger, the other side of the room has always been plastered with images of the band and more specifically, one blond guy in various states of undress. Throughout the months, the red head student has recognised a strange resemblance between Joy’s favourite member and her own classmate Jongin, but never voiced it out; mostly, because Joy thinks that Jongin is a total tool. The only person from Seungwan’s group that has earned the younger girl’s respect so far is Minseok.

‘Have fun, then. I’m gonna go and poke around. Later.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan knows exactly what, or rather whom, she wants to poke, but first, she needs to find Sehun. Although they are in the same year, both Sehun and Tao attend a different, science-orientated programme, so Seungwan doesn’t see them much, except for History and Spanish every Monday and Thursday. She pities the boys, because she knows that neither of them is doing the special course willingly, but there is very little that she can offer them, apart from moral support – her own knowledge about Physics and Maths is virtually null.

She finds the tall brunette leaning against the corridor wall leading to his Biology classroom. He’s talking to Yixing Zhang, Junmyeon’s best friend and the secretary of The Christian Union, his face stoic as the older student continues explaining something in a hushed voice.

Yixing is the first to notice Seungwan out of the corner of his eye, for he immediately leans away and giving the younger boy a lingering pat on the shoulder and a tight smile, he walks away before the girl has a chance to say hello. It comes as a bit of a surprise, since Yixing is pretty much the only sane individual associated with Joohyun and Junmyeon. Not to mention, he is actually a genuinely nice person.

Sehun casually folds the paper sheet given to him by the other and pockets it in the front of his uniform trousers. He meets Seungwan’s eye just as the girl stops in front of him.

‘You and Yixing? What gives?’ She can’t help but be a little curious. In a small school like theirs, everyone knows everyone, of course; more so, if they happen to constantly spend time in your vicinity. But Sehun has always made it crystal clear that he wants nothing to do with his siblings, their friends or their nutty religious activities, so to see him talk to Yixing surely deserves a mention.

The boy merely shrugs.

‘I think Junmyeon asked him to keep an eye on me. You know, like my brother is the bad cop and then Yixing steps in to sooth the pain? That kind of thing. I don’t care. At the end of the day, he still lectures me about my attitude and brings me prayer pamphlets.’ He huffs, exasperated. ‘What’s up?’

‘You’re still going to the Christian meeting today, right? You need to introduce me as a prospective applicant.’ Seungwan answers quickly, without any further prompting from the boy. Feeling her shamelessly invade his personal space in her excited state, he takes a step back, but not without an amused snort. He’s heard all about Seungwan’s wonderful plans all right.

‘Are you really going to go through with it? Darn it, Wan. I’m actually trying to skive off there every chance I get, but you’re going in there willingly?’ He gives her a look of utter disbelief, but the girl only laughs. She’s made up her mind way before he could interfere, Sehun just knows it. He sighs. ‘Just watch out, will you? I’d be gutted if they actually managed to brain wash you. I’ve been watching them for years, they can mess you up real bad, whether you want it or not.’

Seungwan scoffs good naturedly.

‘Come on. It’s them that should be wary of me. Your sister in particular. She really doesn’t know what she’s in for.’ The singer wiggles her eyebrows at the boy in the expression of pure mischief and she succeeds in making him laugh. She grins even wider; Sehun laughing is not a sight that one witnesses often. ‘And if it so happens that they get a taste of their own medicine, all the better.’

Sehun takes a deep breath and drapes his right arm around Seungwan’s shoulders, ushering her in the direction of the school’s chapel situated in the adjoined building.

‘Well then, Miss Son, let me take you in as my personal protégé and disciple. Who knows, their version of Heaven might actually become a livelier place with you around.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Sehun, where have you been? I have been look-‘ The moment Joohyun’s eyes fall on the newcomer behind her brother, she halts her speech and puffs her cheeks in a hardly concealed affront. ‘What are you doing here, Seungwan? Take your dirty attitude out of here this instant. This is a sacred place of religious contemplation. Our Lord doesn’t need to listen to your unjustified sarcasm.’

Joohyun’s words come out more like a hiss, and lower in volume with every step that she takes towards the two friends, but the gathering doesn’t need to hear her rage in order to notice the scene unfolding before their eyes. The abrupt silence that follows Sehun and Seungwan’s entrance serves as the best proof.

‘Can you relax for a moment, sis? Seungwan came here as my guest. You did invite her, remember? You said that she was welcome to come whenever she felt like repenting for her sins. She actually came to apologise for the way she’s been treating you.’ The boy points out, trying his best to make it sound more casual and less suspicious than it already is. The red head just goes along with it.

Joohyun only frowns, clearly refusing to be fooled. She eyes Seungwan in disdain and scoffs when the red head’s expression turns eerily innocent.

‘She did not come here to repent, and if she has actually managed to convince you of that, then shame on you. I’ve told you many times to stop associating yourself with her and those other wrong doers. They are not afraid of God, Sehun, when they really should be.’

Sehun is unfortunately running out of words to use in his friend’s defence, when suddenly, much needed help comes from the most unexpected place.

‘Joohyun, Seungwan came here willingly. Perhaps not with the best intention in heart, but it is our duty to show her what she has been missing in her life. Will you deprive her of that chance and behave like all those miserable non believers just to spite her? Or will you welcome her into our congregation with an open mind? Remember, Joohyun, if they slap you, turn the other cheek. That’s what Jesus would want.’ Junmyeon puts his hand on his twin’s shoulder to calm her down, but it’s clear that Joohyun is far from being appeased. And even less willing to turn the other cheek for Seungwan’s benefit. ‘Now, I believe that Sehun said something about an apology?’ The older boy casts a glance of a well practiced kindness at the red head singer.

‘I’m really sorry for the way that I’ve been treating you.’ She looks at Joohyun. ‘You too, Junmyeon. My sincere apologies. I’m deeply reflecting at the moment.’ She smiles sweetly at him. Even to her own ears, it sounds dishonest and cringe-worthy – perhaps exactly because it is - but Junmyeon appears satisfied. He nods righteously, his usual light smile gracing his lips, and Seungwan immediately realises that the sense of accomplishment that the vice president is experiencing right now stems not from her repentance, but rather from the fact that the sentiment is offered to him directly.

‘You’re forgiven. Joohyun?’ He squeezes his sister’s shoulder in encouragement.

Junmyeon’s rectitude might be blinding him to the truth behind the red head’s behaviour, but the singer knows that she is not fooling Joohyun. The two girls share a quick but intense eye contact, which eventually has Joohyun look away.  

‘I forgive you.’ She eventually drawls and storms away to sit in the front row next to her friend Seulgi. Junmyeon nods at Sehun and Seungwan, before giving them a pointed look and following his twin.

Seungwan lets out the breath that she didn’t know she was holding and looks to her friend, still sanding by her side.

‘You have one bizarre family.’ She says, amused, and he sighs.

‘Tell me something I don’t know.’

‘Can’t believe that they actually bought your words, though.’ Seungwan adds and Sehun just shrugs in a familiar manner.

‘It helps that they think I’m a bit insane.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan forgoes Sehun’s usual place on the bench at the back, where he habitually spends most of the sermon dozing off, and dragging her very reluctant friend along, she marches right to the front row. It’s not yet full, but its occupants are seated beside each other in a visibly tightly formation. As much as the read head wants to wiggle her way next to Joohyun, she cannot exactly separate the girl from her friend Seulgi, who is firmly moulded to her side.

The singer finds much less resistance in Yixing Zhang, who albeit a bit confused, smiles at her and moves away to the left, offering the place before the president of the union can stop him. Seungwan grins in thanks and takes the spot, pulling Sehun to sit on her other side. To Yixing’s questioning gaze, the other boy merely shrugs.

Seungwan knows that he is this close to rolling his eyes, though.

‘Isn’t this proximity to the altar a little bold for your first visit here? The light of the Lord might burn you alive.’ Joohyun hisses through clenched teeth and Seungwan merely smirks, winking at her. The brunette immediately looks away, trying to put as much distance between them as possible, but it’s not so easy anymore; certainly not with six people on the bench.

Perhaps because it’s Seungwan’s first time at the meeting, or simply perhaps she has come with an ulterior motive in mind, but the first half an hour of worship doesn’t seem so bad. Yixing and Junmyeon alternatively move forward to read passages from the Bible out loud, occasionally drawing a murmur of prayer from the gathering. Joohyun and Seulgi lead the chorals and Seungwan notices with a bit of a welcomed surprise that the brunette possesses a clear, pleasant voice.

Not minding Joohyun’s reprimanding looks, Seungwan looks around with curiosity and spots a few familiar faces among the audience. Next to her, Sehun looks unusually awake.

Eventually, Junmyeon closes his religious aids and the crowd relaxes slightly. What starts as hushed muttering, quickly turns into casual conversations.

‘Everyone, please. There are still a few announcements to make and matters to settle.’

Seungwan can just see Junmyeon as the next Presbyterian pastor, taking the parish after his father. He’s definitely in his element – putting up a stern front, he obviously enjoys the authority of his position.

Once the gathering has quietened, the boy steps down from the podium to make way for his sister. She carries herself with silent dignity, her expression sharp and watchful – judgemental even, but that might just be reserved for Seungwan. Either way, the president possesses the clarity of mind that her twin Junmyeon cannot hope to have, and it is probably one of the reasons for which she has been elected.

‘First of all, there are still several projects that need completion before the Christian Picnic taking place in two weeks. Team leaders, report. Team J? Team E? S? U? S? What do you have to say? It better be good news, I will no longer tolerate…’

‘Did these teams just spell..?’ Seungwan whispers to Sehun in wonder. Her friend nods, bored.

Jesus, yes.’

‘How do they differentiate between S and S, though?’ The red head probes further. She appears surprised, but there is mirth dancing in her eyes.

‘They just do. It’s a Christian thing.’ Seungwan snickers almost inaudibly. Sehun continues. ‘That’s nothing, though. You should have seen them last year, during World Youth Day. They prepared so many activities that their teams’ initials spelled I luv Holy Trinity.’

‘Why luv?’

‘There weren’t enough units, so it was either that, or Trinit without y.’ Seungwan snickers again.

‘Which letter are you in now?’

‘Technically in J with Junmyeon and Joohyun, but in reality I’m everyone’s slave – especially when they need to carry heavy stuff or paint another banner.’

‘Oh, what rubbish.’ The red head concurs sympathetically.

‘He’s brought it upon himself.’ Seungwan’s eyes land on Yixing, still seated on Sehun’s other side. The older turns to them with a tired expression. ‘When they first divided teams into letters, he made the mistake of joking about Jesus.’

‘You didn’t.’ Seungwan’s lips stretch in a mischievous grin. Sehun shrugs for the umpteenth time, but there is a shadow of a smile on his lips.

‘Remember that one liner that Chanyeol told us the other day?’

‘Wait… That Jesus was in fact…’

‘…a woman, yeah. Because he kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of men that just didn’t get it.’ Seungwan giggles quietly. ‘After that, my already lowly status went down the drain completely.’

‘And rightfully so.’ Junmyeon appears out of nowhere to hush them with disapproval written all over his face. ‘That is not funny at all. Now, you two - be quiet and listen. Yixing, if you could..’ Junmyeon motions at the guitar in the corner of the room. ‘It’s almost time for the choir to practice their chorals.’

Yixing nods and leaves without another word, his best friend close behind.

‘…it is a little bit funny.’ Seungwan admits after a moment of silence, and both of them cannot help but burst out laughing. They fail to notice the cold look that Joohyun sends them from the podium. The brunette halts her speech.

‘Pray tell, Seungwan, what is so funny that you need to laugh about it right in the middle of my presentation?’

‘I just remembered a joke about Jesus.’ The singer lets out the first thing that comes to her mind. ‘Do you know why Jesus was actually a woman? Because-‘

‘Junmyeon!’ Joohyun calls her brother over, hastily interrupting the rest of the sentence. ‘Take over here, please.’ She adds in a seemingly calmer manner, but her hands are still shaking. ‘Seungwan, follow me.’

The older brunette leaves through the back door and the red head follows, a few pitying looks as her only companion. Angering Joohyun Bae is not a laughing matter, especially in a sacred space.

‘What is your problem?’ Joohyun demands to know as soon as the door behind the younger girl closes.

They find themselves in the back garden of the chapel. Despite the immense efforts of the Christian Union, the flowers planted there continue withering in a rapid pace. For some reason, they suddenly remind Seungwan of Sehun. Too much Christian fertiliser, too little actual care. Soon, just like Sehun, they will start playing in a satanic rock band just to relieve their flowery stress.

Seungwan puts on her best innocent expression.

‘I don’t understand what you mean.’

‘Everywhere you go, you leave the place in shambles. I refuse to let you ruin my congregation. You wanted to mock me? Fine, you’ve had your laugh. Very bloody funny. Now scram before I make you. And don’t let me ever see your face again.’

Seungwan finds it mildly amusing that she seems to be the only person around whom Joohyun loses nerve, but she takes it as a good sign. She is getting to the brunette – slowly, but surely.

‘Don’t get your knickers in a twist, honey.’ Her sugary smile has Joohyun fist her palms tighter. ‘I really came here because I am seeking spiritual guidance. I think there is something wrong with me.’

‘There is everything wrong with you.’ Joohyun confirms angrily. ‘Just look at you. Your hair, your taste in clothes, your friends and your inappropriate rock music. On top of everything, you’re… you’re completely indecent.’

‘You mean I’m a lesbian.’ Seungwan confirms, and Joohyun purses her lips, casting her eyes downwards.

‘That too.’

‘You shouldn’t be afraid of a word, Joohyun. If anything, you should be afraid of me.’ Joohyun’s head shoots up, a frown marring her otherwise perfect face. ‘Since I’m the angry lesbian here.’

‘You’re incorrigible. What are you still doing here?’

‘I want you to help me… change a little. In the name of God, and all that.’ Seungwan takes a step closer, but Joohyun immediately withdraws. The greasy smile that the other girl is sporting certainly doesn’t help the brunette relax in her presence.

‘What if I don’t want to? God knows your heart. He will understand my decision to reject your request. I’m also only human, after all. Your sins are too big even for a good Christian like me.’

‘I guess I could always ask your brother, then. He is rather… good looking.’ The words taste foreign on Seungwan’s tongue, because despite Junmyeon’s objective handsomeness, the sole thought of being romantically interested in him is seriously appalling to the red head, but Joohyun doesn’t seem to notice Seungwan’s discomfort.

‘But you’re not… Well, you like…’

‘I like women? Yeah. But maybe I like men, too. I guess I’ll never know until I try.’ Seungwan does know, in fact, because she tried to make out with Chanyeol two autumns ago in the boys’ changing room. It turned out to be a massive mistake, as both her and Chanyeol definitely, one hundred and ten percent play for the so called other team.

But Joohyun doesn’t need to know that.

‘Leave Sehun alone. It’s enough that you hang around him so much.’ The brunette hisses. The red head vocalist briefly frowns, because to her knowledge, Sehun is completely aual – he never once expressed interest in a girl or a boy the entire time that Seungwan has been his friend. And anyway, even if she did like men, Sehun would probably be her last choice. No offence.

‘I meant Junmyeon.’

‘Junmyeon?’ It’s Joohyun’s turn to frown. ‘He has a girlfriend.’

‘Well, she’s not a wall – she can be easily moved. Girlfriends and boyfriends never stopped anyone. It’s all about the right attitude.’ It comes out cruder than Seungwan wants it to, but the effect is the same – Joohyun goes visibly pale, although her blood is definitely boiling.

‘You wouldn’t.’ The brunette slits her eyes, looking at the other girl in disdain.

‘Try me.’ Seungwan challenges and Joohyun sighs deeply, although her breathing techniques have long stopped helping her.

‘What do you want from me, Seungwan Son?’

‘I’ve already told you, I just want to follow your example, learn a little from you.’

‘Learn from me? Learn what exactly?’ Joohyun places her hands on her waist, observing the other suspiciously.

‘We can spend some time together and you can preach to me all you want, and then I can just, you know….’

‘You can what?’

‘Absorb all your religious knowledge, of course.’ Seungwan finishes innocently, batting her eyelashes at the older.

‘Don’t think for a second that I believe you.’ Joohyun responds eventually, taking a moment to assess the situation. She’s ready to leave the red head behind and head back to the chapel, but she stops a few feet away from the door and turns around. ‘Come to our meeting on Thursday. And drop the attitude. I’ll see what I can do for you in the name of God. That’s it. I’ll try to help you since I’m a good Christian – it means nothing else. And stay away from Junmyeon.’

Seungwan is not certain if the I’m too bloody good for this school has actually left Joohyun’s mouth or not, the muttering too low for her to hear properly, but either way, Seungwan is elated at the news.

Well, truth be told, she always gets what she wants. Sooner or later.

She sends Sehun a quick text not to wait for her, and calls Chanyeol instead. He answers after three rings.

‘What’s hanging, Wan?’

‘Remember that fiver or two that you still owe me? Take it and ask Minseok to help us buy some Worthington.’

‘Going big, I see, and it’s only Tuesday.’ Chanyeol laughs on the other side of the line. ‘I take it your Christian mission’s turned out successful?’

‘Better; I think I scored myself a date.’

‘I’d be happy for you, if I didn’t hate Joohyun and Junmyeon so much. I feel sorry for Sehun sometimes – sharing their genes must be daunting.’ Seungwan hears some shuffling – Chanyeol is getting ready. ‘I’ll get some crisps, too, while I’m at it, we can’t drink on an empty stomach or we’ll get totally plastered. I repeat, it’s only Tuesday.’

‘Fine, fine. See you after curfew.’

‘See you after curfew.’ Chanyeol confirms and hangs up.

Seungwan has never grinned so hard in her life.