There's something about Joohyun

The Purity Club

 

 

160729


 

 

Dear Lord, you know that I never ask you for anything. I am always Your faithful servant; I always have patience with the sinners, no matter how little respect they show You with their words and actions. You saw what that Emily Brown did just now – I had to harshly reprimand her promiscuousness, you know that I had no choice. Her V neck was way too exposing. Sometimes shaming the sinner is the only way of reminding them of You.

I want You to know that I am working on becoming even better, but I don’t want to forget those that are still lost. Please, guide my parents and Junmyeon well, and make Sehun finally see the light. You’re taking an awful lot with the last one- not that I’m complaining, I am certain that You have a greater plan for him. I just wish that You could hurry up a little bit, but if having a sinner for a brother is Your way of testing me, I will receive it with grace.

Oh, and about Seungwan Son. As a good Christian, I wish for everyone to be saved, of course, but if it is Your will that she burn in hell, then who am I to argue?

 

Joohyun looks up from her dish, opening her eyes. To her misfortune, she almost immediately locks gazes with Seungwan Son, seated across the canteen. The other girl winks and Joohyun barely refrains from wincing in displeasure. She instead looks to her own company – her twin Junmyeon, who is still deep in his own religious contemplation; her roommate and Junmyeon’s girlfriend, Seulgi, blinking rapidly into her plate; and her younger brother Sehun, whom she had a hard time persuading to eat lunch with them as a family. I have convinced you in the name of God, she corrects him every time the younger points out the emotional blackmail.

 

 

 

Dear God, I need to beat Jongdae Kim’s score in this upcoming Math test. I haven’t had enough time to study, because the service that I do in Your name is quite time consuming, I’m certain that you understand. Nevertheless, I believe that I deserve a better mark this time around. Please, make Mrs Rowley come up with an easier spreadsheet.

Also, do you think that I should split up with Seulgi? I have already asked her to wear longer skirts and behave less provocatively, and she did, because she’s also Your loyal servant. But no matter what she does, I still feel this unhealthy pull towards her and I don’t know what to do. I must withstand this temptation, but it’s very hard. Send me a sign, please. I’m lost.

Oh, and please make Sehun see the light. I’m really tired of dealing with his sins. I don’t think I should be carrying such a heavy cross by myself.

 

When Junmyeon finally opens his eyes, he exchanges an easy, self satisfied smile with his twin sister. Both of them then turn to Sehun, who is still seated among them with an utterly bored expression on his face. Under their reprimanding gazes, he sighs and closes his eyes in prayer.

 

Dear God, kill me. Please, just kill me.

 

 

 

 

 

‘Close your mouth, Seungwan, you’ll choke on some insect if you don’t.’ Chanyeol advises, his tone mocking, albeit with no real heat. He takes the last drag off his cigarette, before dropping it to the ground and stepping on it with his left Martens. He looks around, more for show than out of need, because what for, really - everyone knows that behind the gym is where all the rotten apples of Trent Collage spend their time smoking and bumming around.

As long as it doesn’t go any further than that, the teachers pretend that they aren’t aware of their students’ hangout spot, and the school board pretend that they don’t know about the suspicious exception.

‘That is, if she doesn’t drown in her own drool first. Gross.’ Sehun observes, the usual passive contempt written all over his face. He’s sitting on the pavement, aimlessly picking out the sparse weed growing in the spaces between tiles. There isn’t all that much to do during the free hour the group of friends has after lunch time.

Seungwan takes just enough time to thickly swallow the excess of saliva in , before allowing her lips to part again, this time even wider. Her eyes follow the silhouette seen in the distance; the girl goes as far as stretching her neck in attempt to have a better view, but eventually the person in question disappears through the door to the girl’s dormitory.

‘Bugger off.’ Seungwan awkwardly replies, mostly because the time to be verbally retaliating to the insult has already passed.

‘I need another .’ Chanyeol announces, massaging his temples. He looks annoyed. ‘Anyone?’

‘You’ve had enough.’ Seungwan looks at the boy in distaste. She’s not a big fan of tobacco. She’s tried it once or twice, sure, but the only actual smoker in their social circle is the tall drummer.

‘You’re not my bloody mother. Don’t tell me what to do.’ He scowls, but seeing her sour expression, backs out and sits down next to Sehun almost immediately anyway.

They both know that the boy’s words are only partially true. Seungwan often jokes that she’s raising a bunch of men-children; as ironic as it sounds, she indeed has more or less been their voice of reason for the past two and a half years, since she first transferred from Oakham. She honestly can’t be bothered to curate their lives on a daily basis, but she does make sure that they don’t cross lines that they cannot return from.

Seungwan leans back against the gym wall and turns her head in the direction of the dormitory once more, even though the pleasant sight has long disappeared.

‘I swear to God, Joohyun Bae wants me so bad.’ She her lips, nonchalantly. There is a strange, smug conviction in her gaze – one that her companions cannot really comprehend.

Sehun snickers almost inaudibly at the remark. The only indication of his current mood is the mirth dancing in his eyes.

‘My sister thinks of you as the eighth plague sent from above in order to test her and her patience. I assure you that she wants absolutely nothing to do with you.’

‘She does approach me from time to time…’ Seungwan opposes, although she’s grinning herself. They all know that Joohyun’s attention cannot be further away from what the red head girl wishes that it were.

‘Oh, yeah. To try and exorcise the Satan out of you. Now that I think about it, you’re actually on her mind a lot. She prays for you and your kind almost every lunch break.’ Sehun smirks at the ridiculousness of his friend’s predicament. Seungwan merely shrugs.

‘As long as she does think of me…’ Her grin widens. They all fall silent for a moment or two, before Chanyeol raises his head, remembering something.

‘You’re all down for a rehearsal tomorrow afternoon, aren’t you? Tao said that Zhoumi agreed to let us use their garage.’

‘Sure, whatever.’ Seungwan concurs mindlessly, not really looking at the boys, her thoughts still with the pretty brunette that she’s just seen. Sehun, on the other hand, makes a face at the red head drummer.

‘No can do. The Purity Club duties call.’ He grimaces as the words leave his mouth. It’s Chanyeol’s turn to snicker.

‘Again? Blimey. I’m pretty sure that even Jesus Christ wasn’t as holy as your older siblings aspire to be. Can’t you skip just this one time? The gig in Oceana is coming up. We should really focus on that first.’

‘I wish I could. But you know the drill – I pretend I give a darn and Junmyeon doesn’t rat me out to our parents. Sorry, mate, but it just won’t happen. He’s already at his limit with me and my derailed friends and my satanic band-‘ Sehun’s high pitched rendition of Junmyeon’s self righteous voice draws a hearty cackle from both Chanyeol and Seungwan, because it’s never not funny to listen to Sehun’s mimicking of his older brother. ‘Just imagine what he would do if he found out that I’m planning on playing rock music in the hub of sin, while I’m still under aged, at that. He’ll report me to my old man sooner than you guys can spell Holy Trinity. They’ll send me to the Christian camp again and let me tell you, that place is not cool.’

‘Your brother is a bit barmy, can’t deny that, but Joohyun would help you. She doesn’t give up on sinners easily, which depending on my mood can be either endearing or maddeningly annoying.’ Seungwan picks up her bag and prompts the boys to follow her. Their next class starts in ten minutes and she doesn’t want for them to be late; even if she knows that all Chanyeol will do is stare at Baekhyun Byun, the class nerd, while Sehun will take his well deserved nap. Not.

Sehun merely shakes his head.

‘I’ll take Junmyeon’s crazy over Joohyun’s eerie kindness any time. She always looks at me with such disappointment that I end up dizzy and promising stuff that I later regret. As long as I lay low, my brother won’t be on my case. No sweat, I’ll practice on my own. I’ll be ready for the performance.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘You sure you can’t go? Feign being sick. Tell them that you’ve eaten something bad.’

‘Tell them that you’ve overdosed on chorals.’ Minseok murmurs under his breath, looking at the bible that Sehun is carrying. The group guffaws boisterously.

‘Junmyeon will come to check up on me. He’s potty like that. No, thanks. I’ll just fanny around for a bit in there, before they split up for the weekly bible duty. They usually let me off that one, since they know that I can’t preach for . The last time my brother dragged me with him, I, and I quote, came across as aloof and disinterested in the subject. How can they spread the word of God with my unenthusiastic self killing their buzz?’ Sehun mocks. ‘I’ll join you around six o’clock, I hope. Eaton Close, as usual?’

‘Yeah, Zhoumi gave us time until 8pm. His neighbours might complain later, once they’ve got off work.’

‘Good luck, then. Don’t let them brainwash you too much and remember, The Purity Club stands for everything that any healthy and mentally stable teenager should absolutely avoid. is a natural and very much needed part of our small, lame existence.’

‘The Christian Union, Chanyeol Park, The Christian Union. Would you, please, stop calling our gathering The Purity Club? Believe it or not, not everyone in this school is thinking about, as you so crudely describe it, getting laid. We dedicate our time to volunteering, community service and educating those that need our help.’

Junmyeon interrupts the friendly banter, a clear displeasure on his face. His sister walks beside him, something that immediately catches Seungwan’s attention. Joohyun notices the red head girl, of course, but she clearly tries very hard to stop herself from looking at the other. Too bad that avoidance has always fed Seungwan’s cheeky confidence.

‘Looking fit, Joohyun.’ The singer remarks provocatively, which finally earns her the brunette’s attention.

As much as Seungwan Son likes to ruffle Joohyun Bae’s feathers just for the sake of it, she cannot deny the attraction that she feels towards the other girl. She has long passed the stage of regarding it as desiring what she thought was out of her reach. She finds herself genuinely infatuated with Joohyun. The other is pretty and smart – and of course, a self appointed hypocritical saint, as Seungwan’s friends like to frequently remind her, but it doesn’t stop the red head girl from grinning stupidly to herself. Seungwan sees Joohyun interact with her best friend Seulgi as well as other close companions and save for her excessively righteous and condescending ways, the brunette comes across as a warm and affectionate person.

Sehun merely scoffs whenever Seungwan gets too lost in her daydreams.

Seungwan notices the internal turmoil that the other girl goes through during the second or two when their gazes lock. The martyr in her eventually wins, as Joohyun plasters an uneasy and completely dishonest smile on her lips.

‘Thank you, Seungwan. How about joining us for an afternoon prayer? You could use it.’

‘Will you be taking off your blouse in between sermons? Because in that case I might actually be tempted.’ Seungwan winks, and she is rewarded with the reaction that she’s wanted all along – Joohyun’s good Samaritan mask falls off and the girl scowls.

‘You’re so vulgar.’ The brunette eventually comments, lips pursed, and without any further announcement, disappears in the school’s chapel.

‘Catch you later.’ Seungwan says nonetheless, looking all smug. Chanyeol laughs.

Junmyeon regards the group of friends with clear contempt before looking at his younger brother. Sehun, however, remains purposely silent and after a brief staring contest, the older relents and merely huffs in exasperation.

‘We’re starting in a moment, don’t be late.’ He settles on a light reprimand and marches off, hot on his twin sister’s heels.

Sehun turns to his friends.

‘Do you see now what I have to deal with? Better scoot, you lot, before he comes back and starts calling you out on your wanker-ness in the name of Lord. Later.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The trip to Beeston is not long, since their boarding school is virtually situated right between Darby and Nottingham; it usually takes less than thirty minutes on foot to reach the neighbourhood. It’s a walk that both Seungwan and Minseok gladly opt for when they are alone – but with lazy Chanyeol in tow, good old Y5 turns out to be the only option. They are lucky today, because the wait on the bus stop is short and the time spent in the vehicle even shorter. From where they get off at Queen’s Road, it’s only a few minute’s walk to Tao and Zhoumi’s house.

Tao greets them at the gate – he’s seated on the step leading to the house, tuning his guitar. He’s one of the few students at Trent College that commute to class.

‘You lucky tosser. I heard your last class got cancelled.’ Minseok says, ruffling Tao’s hair good naturedly. Like Junmyeon and Joohyun, Minseok is in year 13, but unlike Junmyeon and Joohyun, he’s not thinking of going to university after graduation. At least, not for another year or two.

Tao shrugs.

‘That was indeed lucky. I thought Jongin was just taking a piss out of me when he announced the news, because honestly, what are the odds of my most hated class being cancelled on a Friday? There is God, after all.’

‘Speaking of which,’ Chanyeol interrupts ‘God really does exist and apparently needs Sehun to assist him in The Purity Club this afternoon, so we’ll have to practice without the base line for a while. He’ll make it here eventually, though, or so I hope.’

Seungwan undoubtedly has had her ups and downs since her move to Nottingham, but the one thing that keeps her alive and lifts her mood every time is their band. Their yet to be named rock group that she was recruited to on the first day of her transfer from Oakham. She had been admittedly wary of entering the exclusive environment that was a boarding school – she herself had attended her previous school since nursery days and knew exactly how hard it is to break into the tight circle of friendships formed between classmates that knew each other for years.

Upon arrival to her first class, she was made sit next to an extremely tall and lanky for his age Asian boy with a rather loony grin on his face, something that Seungwan didn’t initially take as a good sign. That is, until Chanyeol Park took out his acoustic guitar and started jamming to Jon McLaughlin. Get out, you’re into his music?, she exclaimed excitedly, which earned her another grin and a place at his canteen table with the rest of school misfits.

It was also then that Seungwan first noticed Joohyun Bae, the older student from year 11. Here comes trouble, Sehun, who at that time was still free to have lunch with whomever he pleased, muttered, sinking lower into his seat. Joohyun indeed came over to introduce herself and her Christian group, to whose smooth running she apparently found Seungwan’s attendance imperial, but Seungwan was never really religious and that was their first major problem.

The second was that, as a usually forward and mischievous girl, Seungwan tried to clumsily Joohyun’s bum in the girls’ changing room just before Physical Education.

To her defence, she didn’t do it in ill faith. The elated looks that Joohyun was giving her that afternoon could easily be interpreted as encouragement, is what Seungwan has been telling herself since. She doesn’t feel particularly apologetic for her direct behaviour – quite on the contrary, just the memory of the astonishment on that angelic face provokes a mad grin on the red head’s lips. Seungwan truly lives for the thrill of tormenting Joohyun Bae, still hoping that one day she can bend the other girl a little. Perhaps to prove a point, or perhaps to actually make the brunette fall in love with Seungwan.

Fat chance, but no harm trying.

Seeing how the Satan residing in Seungwan continues to prevent the girl from finding her way to Heaven and consequently, separates her from Joohyun, for now the red head is content with just writing songs about her infatuation.

The band face off that Tao’s older brother managed to find them is mere weeks away and the group doesn’t really feel prepared, because it mostly still feels surreal; heck, until now they haven’t even really thought of a name for themselves. They try not to focus too much on details and just practice as they usually do, going through a few covers as a warm up exercise and later moving on to their own original compositions.

The rehearsal has been going smoothly until the door bell rings some forty minutes later.

‘You open the door, I’ll go to the loo. I just hope it’s not the neighbours complaining about the mad ruckus.’ Minseok off handedly remarks, leaving through the inner door connecting the garage to the house. Tao, who is the closest to the garage roll up door, pulls it open. The red head band mates join him and the three simultaneously raise their eyebrows at the sights of the newcomers on the porch.

Joohyun’s eyes widen in realisation for a split second, her pretty face otherwise unaffected, but it’s enough for Seungwan to notice her discomfort. The brunette certainly did not expect having to preach the Word to a bunch of punks from her own school. Sehun, standing two steps behind his older sister, quickly recognises the irony of the situation, a lazy smirk making its way to his lips. He nods at his friends.

‘Sup.’ Joohyun’s hand on his forearm prevents him from approaching them further. It seems that against all odds, the boy has been entrusted with spreading God’s message today.

‘You knew that they would be here?’ Joohyun hisses under her breath, but not quietly enough for Seungwan not to catch it. Sehun shrugs, because that’s his only defence mechanism against the force of Lord channelled through His faithful servant, Joohyun Bae. ‘We should get going.’

The brunette makes to leave without any further delay, but Seungwan’s comment stops her in her tracks.

‘What’s wrong, Joohyun? You scared of a few teenagers and their electric guitars?’ The red head girl knows exactly how to rile the other up and she shamelessly uses it to her advantage. In reality, she simply doesn’t want Joohyun to go away as soon as she appeared, but the additional kicks that Seungwan gets from situations like this are always a bonus. ‘What will God say when you face Him? That you forwent your duty towards the sinners, because you couldn’t face one lesbian? Or are you perhaps… afraid of me? Do I make you uncomfortable?’

Seungwan doesn’t have to look at her band mates to know that they are all sporting mad grins on their faces, the conversation getting more and more amusing with each passing second. Even Sehun, hidden somewhere behind his sister, is failing to keep his composure. Seungwan and Joohyun stare at each other for a brief moment, before Joohyun huffs, breaking the connection. She unceremoniously drops her handbag on the ground, no longer caring about its whereabouts. The bait has been taken - the challenge has been accepted.

‘Sehun, my prayer book.’ The girl angrily extends her hand, and her brother quickly hands it over, eager to see what happens next.

In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.’ She starts, her voice even despite the predicament. If any of the few noticeable passers-by find a teenage girl preaching the Word of the Lord in the middle of somebody’s lawn bizarre, there is no indication. ‘Oh Lord, Jesus Christ, Redeemer and Saviour, forgive their sins- Sehun, would you put your hands together, instead of just standing there?’ Her younger brother hastily does so, but not without pulling a face at his friends first. ‘Forgive their sins, for they know not of what they are doing. Count not their transgressions, but rather, their tears of repentance. Remember not their iniquities-‘

‘Joohyun Bae, I should have guessed. I could feel the jolly atmosphere of your Christian mission all the way from the privy.’

They all turn to see Minseok standing in the garage door, his expression bordering on nasty. Out of the present company, Minseok has the longest and most painful history with the girl and her twin brother – back in the day, he used to date their cousin, before the news spread about their inappropriate relationship and the girl was pulled out of school, her devoted parents desperate to restore the illusion of her innocence somewhere else.

Joohyun’s voice wavers at the sight of her classmate, mainly because she knows exactly just how greatly she contributed to the couple’s separation.

‘What’s wrong? Continue. I’m always in the mood for some hypocrisy. Just remember, anything that you say might just be used against you.’ The older boy’s smile is anything but pleasant. Joohyun clears awkwardly.

I pray that You love me and save me- Oh, forget it.’ The brunette closes her prayer book quickly, her posture turning defensive. ‘Saving you? What bollocks. You don’t want to and don’t deserve to be saved. When the Judgment Day comes, you will all burn in hell, because God sees everything and I’m sure that he agrees with me. If you ever decide to rid yourselves of your sins, you are welcome to our Union. Otherwise, I will not stay here even one moment longer.’

‘Did Joohyun Bae just used the b word?’ Chanyeol mutters more to himself, observing the scene unfolding before his eyes with hardly concealed fascination. Seungwan nods, absentmindedly. All of this has escalated way too quickly.

‘Can I stay, since I’m already here? We have rehearsal.’ Sehun asks , earning himself what is probably the coldest look that his sister has ever mustered. He shrugs, accepting defeat. See you later, he mouths in their direction and Tao nods sympathetically. Without the hope of actually seeing their bassist today, the rest will have to end their practice prematurely. They reluctantly retreat to the garage.

‘Better meet on Monday. Monday always works for everyone.’ Minseok decides and everyone immediately agrees.

Seungwan remains deep in thought, slowly bundling up the wires of Chanyeol’s drum set. Truth be told, she did enjoying seeing Joohyun, even if the latter came here just to mock them. Even nervous, she looked exceptionally pretty. If only there was a way for Seungwan to put her hands on that perfectly shaped arse again-

A brilliant realisation hits the red head out of nowhere, making her drop the equipment.

‘Hey, watch out!’ Chanyeol shrieks, but Seungwan doesn’t care. She’s been a total idiot.

‘Guys, I’ve been a total idiot.’ She announces to the boys, who look up at her with mild interest.

‘Have you finally seen Joohyun Bae for what she really is?’ Minseok asks sceptically, but Seungwan shakes her head, looking pleased.

‘You’ve heard her. She hates me and thinks that I’m a corrupted sinner. That I’m beyond saving.’ The group continues staring, unsure of where the tirade is actually going. ‘That’s what I have to do in order to get to her. I’m gonna let her save me.’

The exclamation earns her a collective groan.

‘Wan, their crazy is rubbing off on you.’ Tao responds worriedly.

‘I’m not crazy - I’m bloody genius. Why did it take me so long to think of this? I’ll let her save me all right. Or rather, I’ll let her think that she’s saving me, when in reality, I’ll shake her from the inside. You just wait and see.’ Seungwan grins to herself, already feeling more energetic.

The boys groan again.