Chapter 27: It's My Fate

BTS FANFIC: Run With Me

Jin

Snow: Oh My God! Were you hurt badly? Any bleeding?

Jin: I don't know. What I remember was I woke up on a hospital bed after a few weeks.

Snow: A few weeks?! Then what happened?

Jin: If I am not wrong, Albert told me that I lost most of my memories.

Snow: WAIT! WHAT! OK! Let me ask you a dumb question. Do you remember what you did on our 1st meeting?

Jin: I kissed your hand.

Snow: Urm… yeah… you did *blush* I kind of forgot about it.

Jin: Hahaha! What a dumb answer for a dumb question. I am alright now.

Snow: Then please tell me how you recovered from that memory loss.

Jin: Fine… This is what Albert told me.

 

*****

Albert

It was the most shocking experience I have ever had. Young Maxel was thrown out from his horse and landed over the fence. He was lying on the ground unconscious. We rushed him to the hospital and the surgeons informed us that he had to go through an emergency operation due internal head bleeding.

Poor Master Maxel had to sign the consent form despite knowing there might be complications and perhaps brain dead. We prayed and waited for hours until the surgeon finally came to see us.

Surgeon: Parent of Seokjin Maxel?

Mr Maxel: Yes. How is my son?

Surgeon: The surgery is a success. We put him in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for further observation. We can only allow a limited number of people to be with him.

Mr Maxel: That will be me and Albert. When do you think he will be able to recover?

Surgeon: That will be your son’s choice. Unfortunately, he is in the coma. It will be unlikely he might be able to gain consciousness.

Master Maxel and I were disappointed. Our hearts become heavier. We immediately visit Young Maxel in the ICU. It was a pity to see him in tubes and cast. He was lying there peacefully like a sleeping beauty. The only sound we hear was the heart rate machine beeping.

Mr Maxel: Oh my son. It shouldn't have been this way.

Butler Albert: We have received report from the police. Apparently it was a clash with the other rider that lead him to sustain critical injuries. Both riders wanted to go for the 3rd place. The other rider only sustains small injuries.

Mr Maxel: It doesn't matter now. I will just need to compensate. What matters most is my son.

Butler Albert: I understand Master Maxel.

Having his parents’ divorce at such a young age, Young Maxel had never felt what was like to be loved. It was at that time when the Maxel Art Gallery was on the verge of closing down. This was due to his mother for organising lots of parties and overspending the budget.

Even though Young Maxel’s mother promised to come back for him, she never did. He waited for her for almost every single day. What he never knows was The Maxel Art Gallery was already on its peak of bankruptcy. That's why his father had to travel to many countries. He has to receive funds from other organisations by socialising.

Rumours has already spread that the gallery is closing down. That's why he had Young Maxel to be at the mansion all the time to prevent him from bad reporters.

Seokjin Maxel is really naive about the outside world.

For 3 weeks, we waited and pray that he will wake. Then comes to the day when I was busy reading a book. I heard a loud cough and the boy was struggling to take out the facemask. I rushed to him and press for the call bell. I propped him up so he is able to breathe better. The nurses came in and they helped in taking his vitals, checking his intravenous solution and calling for the doctor.

Jin: What the hell am I doing here?

Butler Albert: Young Maxel. This is a hospital. You were injured badly from the race.

Jin: Are you the doctor?

That's when I realised something is wrong with Young Maxel.

Butler Albert: Young Maxel, it's me Albert, your butler. I am no doctor. Don't you remember.

Jin: Maxel? Is that my name? Butler? Since when? Ah! My head hurts.

I was at loss. He must have lost his memory. I don't believe it. The doctor came in to do a physical examination and a MRI. Master Maxel came to the hospital immediately upon receiving my call.

Doctor: There are no abnormalities. The MRI report has shown that his brain is normal. No internal bleeding. Nothing. He might have lost his memory due to the hard fall. It is not one of our postoperative complications.

Mr Maxel: Is there anything that you can do? My son is really precious.

Doctor: This is not something I can help with. I have done all my part to make your son recover. Thankfully he has woken up after a long period of unconsciousness.

We became worried to another set of problem. It might be difficult for us to bring back his memories. In addition to that, the Maxel Art Gallery Anniversary is coming up. We need Young Maxel by our side.

Doctor: Perhaps I can refer you to someone. He is a very good friend of mine. I am sure he can help you solve your problem.

A ray of hope has shine upon us. Someone might help us to get Young Maxel get on his feet again. Probably in time for the anniversary event.

Young Seokjin Maxel was finally home. With the news of his memory loss, everyone in the mansion welcome him with wide open arms. One by one they introduced themselves to him and tell him stories about his life with them. It was an eye opener as we learn a lot from each other, the things we never knew. I bond grow closer as colleagues. Master Maxel was proud to everyone getting along. It was his first bright smile despite the art gallery’s bankruptcy.

****

“Ding! Dong!”

I opened the front door. A man, in his 30s, was standing upright

Uncle Amos: Hi! Hello! Is this the Maxel Art Gallery. It’s really confusing. This place looks like a mansion to me. Am I at the right place?

Butler Albert: Umm... This is the Maxel Art Gallery and it is also the Maxel’s home.

Uncle Amos: Ooooh… So it’s like a combination concept thingy. That’s very creative.

Butler Albert: May I know who are you?

Uncle Amos: Ah Yes! My name is Amos. I was being referred by your doctor to help Mr Seokjin Maxel. *Brief handshake*

Butler Albert: Thank goodness! We have been waiting for you! Perhaps, you must be a psychologist!

Uncle Amos: I am not really a psychologist. Just someone who is here to help.

I have no clue what this man is talking about. However, I welcomed him inside and brought to Young Maxel’s room. The man was looking around the place as if he had never seen such fine artworks in his life. He made all this funny and weird expressions as we went through the different artwork rooms. We arrived to our destination where we have Young Maxel looking through his baby photo albums.

Butler Albert: Young Maxel, you have someone to see you who probably could help us. He is Mr Amos.

Uncle Amos: Please. Call me Amos.

Jin: Hello. I am Seokjin Maxel. Nice to meet you. * bowed*

Uncle Amos: *Bowed* Such etiquette! Let me teach you a way how to greet a girl you like. You take her hand and slowly bring it to your lips. Then you kiss it gently. Now that’s how the gentleman roll!

Jin: Huh?

Uncle Amos: Never mind. I shall call you Jin. Good friends usually give each other shortcuts.

Jin: So you’re my friend? Wow I never thought that I have a friend.

Uncle Amos: Well I believe everyone in this mansion is your friend, Jin. We need to make ourselves approachable to be able to communicate. At the end of the day, we want to serve the best to each other.

I was amazed at how this man can actually talk way through Young Maxel. He went down to Young Maxel’s level to have a good conversation. Eye contact is really incredible.

Uncle Amos: By the way, Jin, do you know what you can do? Has anyone told you about the things you do here?

Jin: Well many told me I did a lot of house chores. I clean my room, cooking, gardening, wash and iron my clothes. I even did art and horse riding. The horse riding was the cause for me to lose my memories.

Uncle Amos: You know what, Jin. Sometimes it is better to lose our memories than not being able to make new ones. I understand they may be precious but it will only hold you back. Maybe could you give a tour and show me what you did and know about this place?

Jin: Can I Butler Albert?

Butler Albert: Of course you can. You always make your own decision.

Jin: Alright. Come with me, Amos.

To my amazement, Young Maxel still has the skills to garden, cooks and clean. He can almost say out all the names of the plants and pick out the right ingredients for a meal. He hosted Mr Amos very well in the mansion. I even joined in for lunch and it was beautifully done.

We followed Young Maxel to the flora painting showcase room. He suddenly stopped at his track and was admiring a painting.

Jin: Is that a Lily?

Butler Albert: Yes, it is.

Jin: It is so beautiful.

Butler Albert: It represents the innocence of soul from death. Lilies are used for funerals.

Uncle Amos: However, Lilies can represent renewal and rebirth. The beauty of youth!

Jin: I don't believe it! I painted this?!

It was way before his memory loss. Young Maxel followed the gardener to the florist to learn more about the flora species. The lily’s fresh fragrance caught his attention. He bought a bouquet and started painting. In my opinion, he missed his mother. She used to make lily perfumes and sell them at funerals.

Just like the saying ‘A room smell-like funeral’. A sweet but sad smell.

We all went back to Young Maxel’s room. Mr Amos had to leave. He gave me his report on our way out.

Uncle Amos: There is nothing I can do to regain his memory. He completely loss it.

Butler Albert: oh dear. I thought he would at least remember.

Uncle Amos: He does remember a few cooking recipes and the names of the flora. That is good enough. This is my suggestion. How about you give Jin the opportunity to manage the gallery’s anniversary? He has good people skills especially with the etiquette. He will find himself useful despite the loss.

Butler Albert: I agree on this. He always wanted to be a useful person before he lost his memories.  I will let his father know. Thank you so much.

Uncle Amos: It is my pleasure. I will meet you again at the anniversary. Looking forward how Jin would put up the show. Good day Albert.

 

 

Florist: Mr Seokjin, where do I put these tulips?

Jin: Put them at the corner near the entrance.  I want the guests to feel welcome.

Maid: Mr Seokjin, we seem to be missing a red table cloth. we have looking at the store rooms for the past 15 minutes.

Jin: Hmm… It thinks we change all the red tablecloth to pink. I think we can have a good impression from the cancer organisation since we are representing them.

Young Maxel has been busy planning the decoration, the food and the dress code for the event. His father was delighted to see his son working so hard. The theme for the event is Metamorphosis (Transformation). The event has change to more modern than the old same classic. I believed this will go well tonight.

Butler Albert: Young Maxel, the party will start in 2 hours. It is time to get change.

Jin: *looks at his watch* Oh great! Everyone! Please be ready. I will do a final check at the last hour before the event starts. Let’s go Butler Albert!

The guests have finally arrived into the gallery. Modern day music was playing instead of the classical. The ballroom was decorated with colourful drapes and flowers. It feels like we are on a magical garden.

Jin: Seems like things are going well.

Butler Albert: Yes. Everyone is having fun. I received a lot of compliments that the food choice and music are well picked. And so are those girls over there.

A group of girls were eyeing on Master Maxel. They were whispering to each other. Probably commenting how handsome he looks. They squealed when he suddenly walked towards the girls.

Jin: Hi! I hope you enjoy the event so far.

Girl 1: Yes! We are!

Girl 2: It is like a secret garden!

Girl 3: Finally, it is not just some old people party.

Jin: Hahaha! Thank you for the compliments.

Girl 1: I heard that you planned everything for the gallery’s anniversary.

Jin: I actually got some help from my people. It is lovely how things turn out. There will be a cake cutting at the finale. Look forward to it. *bows*

Girls: AHHHH! OK!!! *fangirl mode on*

Butler Albert: I am impressed. I have never known you can converse well with the ladies.

Jin: It's called ‘Flirting’, Butler Albert. I learnt this from Amos. Come on! We got other guests to ‘flirt’ around.

****

Jin

My first hosting for the Maxel Art Gallery went so smoothly. My father was enjoying himself. This will have enlightened his burden into saving the gallery. Thank goodness I find the most trustable people to provide our logistics under our budget. Hopefully we might receive funding deals from the organisations who attended the event.

My father and I had a talk outside, at the balcony, to get some space away from the crowd.

Mr Maxel: Son! I am proud of you! The event is perfect! Why didn't I ever let you do this kind of job in the 1st place?!

Jin: Thank you, father. You had so much burden on your shoulders so I can understand your part.

Mr Maxel: *sigh* How I wish your mother was still here with us. If it weren't for her greed, the gallery might prosper and we probably be a happy family.

I was told about my mother by Butler Albert after a few days when I lost my memories. I was disappointed at first but not to the brink where I might go through depression. I believe with this amazing event, news might spread to my mother and she will come to us.

Jin: At least I have a strong father by my side. Let's put the past a side. We are already at 61st Anniversary. It is time to make a change for the better. That’s why the theme is Metamorphosis. Just like a beautiful butterfly going through its cycle.

Mr Maxel: I could agree more. Before you lost your memory, you wanted to drive your own car. It was amusing because your reason is that you're jealous of your peers.

Jin: Oh…

Mr Maxel: Anyway it was your reward for being the top 3 in the horse race. This time it will be a reward for managing this event. I am more than satisfied to see how much my son has grown up!

Jin: Thank you father! I promised you to get a driving licence and finally drive the car. Someday we can take a road trip and do things we never done before.

Mr Maxel: Let's g…*BANG! *

It happened in a blink of an eye, my father was on the floor, blood spurted out of his chest. Multiple gunshot could be heard. Everyone panicked and the alarm was activated. The screaming was everywhere. I went to my father. He was motionless. I turned around and saw someone in a black mask standing right in front of me. Then again… it was darkness.

I woke up again, only to find myself in an unfamiliar place. My head was pounding. It hurts. I was in an empty room. Just the bed that I am lying on. Beside me was the big window with sun shining through the white curtains. Where am I? The last thing I remember was my father getting shot and the whole event turned into a disaster.

 

 

Snow: Is that when realise that you were at Papillon Swallowtail?

Jin: Yes. Mr Amos, came into the room. He told me everything about how he gets me out the chaos. It was out of control and he brought me and Butler Albert to this town.

Snow: What happened to the art gallery? Your father?

Jin: My father is already dead. I attended his funeral after I regain consciousness. The gallery and mansion was closed down as we had to compensate the loss of the artworks and the organisation. The workers were dismissed but I just paid them the remaining funds in hopes they will have new start.

Snow: What about Butler Albert?

Jin: He has been looking out for me but now he just wants to be on his own. He is our school janitor.

Snow: OMG! Albert the janitor is Butler Albert!

Jin: Yes. Kekekeke. Don’t worry we still talk now and then. I am all independent and thanks to Mr Amos for providing me with shelter. I am grateful that he is my guardian now. So you see, it is my responsibility to take care of all of you. I know what it feels like to be useless. You just need to try new things and who knows you are good at something.

Snow: *yawn* I am so sorry. I am tired now. I had a rough day today. *sigh* I hope everyone is ok.

Jin: It’s not your fault, Snow. How about you can try to talk to Jimin? I am sure he needs you. And you can join us in preparing for the summer festival.

Snow: I will try to talk to him. I am still worried about Jimin. And Sure! I will be happy to help out!

Jin: Alright then. I am leaving. Good night Snow. You better wash up before you go to bed.

Snow: Yes, Mama Jin. *grins*

I closed the door quietly. It was such a great feeling to talk to someone about my life. Even though we couldn’t find who were the culprits, I came to realise my purpose in life. To serve others and make people happy in their life is what I can do. After what happened tonight, I have to make sure that everyone will have a good night sleep. I took out my car keys from my pocket and started the engine of the car that my late father had gifted.

Note: To be honest, I hesitated to post this story or just rewrite everything. After multiple rechecks, I have decided to go with the flow. Writing is never an easy task. I got a lot of inspiration from a lot of research and also watching BTS videos. I have to make sure that some things fits the story. I learnt a lot about Jin after writing 3 chapters of his fictional story. He is really an amazing person. He always did his best and do what he can to take care of his brothers and fans. Please give him lots of love. In life, we all may feel useless because we aren't able to do anything right. However, if you try and never give up, you will realize how capable you are. It is ok if you have yet to discover your purpose. It takes time. I have yet to discover my own purpose. For now, I am trying to take life simple. 

What do you think of this story so far?

- Snow Black