Chapter 26: It's My Truth Part 2

BTS FANFIC: Run With Me

 

Jin

Butler: Mr Seokjin. Your father wants to see you in his office.

 

Jin: I will see him in 5 minutes.

 

Butler: You better hurry up. Your father is a very busy man.

 

Jin: I know... I know… *annoyed*

 

I put my paintbrush on my dirty-coloured palette and left my unfinished artwork on the standee. My butler helped me put on a red blazer and escorted me to the office. This life of mine is very hectic since there will be an upcoming event.

 

The Maxel household is famous for their well-run art gallery. For 60 years, passing down from generation to generation, many events were held to showcase the most exotic art works in the world. Celebrities, famous art consultants and even the president of the country will come down to have a visit in the appreciation of the arts. What's really cool is that the Maxel Art Gallery is also the home of the Maxel family.

 

Jin: Father. May I come in?

 

Mr Maxel: Yes, my son.

 

I walked into his big office where the most expensive paintings were hanged. Piles of papers were stacked on his desk. The secretaries were busy organizing the files but bowed to greet me as soon as I walked pass them. At time like this, my father must have something important for me.

 

Jin: Hello father. What can I be of help?

 

Mr Maxel: Nothing really. I just want to let you know that I will be flying off to France. I will be meeting the VIPs of the Belleville Galleria. It seems like they want to collaborate with us for our next anniversary.

 

Jin: Sounds amazing father.

 

Mr Maxel: Indeed. That is to say you are not allowed to go out of this mansion unless it is your horse riding lesson.

 

Jin: But father, can I just at least hang out with my friends in the mall. We are planning to watch a movie.

 

Mr Maxel: No! Your duty is not only to stay in the mansion but also protect the art gallery itself.

 

Jin: Father! It will be just one day!

 

Mr Maxel: I said no! Many generation of ours have built this gallery and it is our duty to continue its legacy. We are done here. Please leave. I will see you again at your horse racing event.

 

I stormed out of the office and leaving the door closed with a loud bang. I was furious. Why do I have to be stuck in this stupid place? Continue its legacy? I am sick of being here. I feel like a prisoner instead of a home. This is the price you get of being the only child of the Maxel.

 

I don’t have any memories of being outside of the mansion. I have been homeschooled all my life. My meals are being cooked for me and my bed had been made every morning. I was forced to take painting and sculpture lessons. Horse riding was the only time I can finally get through the gates of this ‘prison’.

 

It was only a few days ago I made friends with a group of jockeys who were preparing for a race. They invited me to hang out someday. Now I am all bumped for not being able to attend any of their hang outs. I went back to my room and plopped onto my bed. What am I to do now?! It is so boring!

 

Maid: Mr Seokjin, I am going to change your curtains now.

 

Jin: Whatever. Just do it quickly. I need to rest.

 

Maid: Very well.

 

I closed my eyes and as the maid take down one of the curtains, the sun rays shone brightly on my face. I took in a deep breath and listened to the little sparrows chirping. I wish my life was like those birds, To be able to fly and be free anywhere in  the world. I heard the gardener using the sprinklers to water the plants. Suddenly an idea popped up into my head.

 

Jin: Butler Albert!

 

Butler Albert: Yes, Young Maxel! You need softer pillows? I will get a new one.

 

Jin: Is there anything I could help?

 

Butler Albert: Pardon?

 

Jin: Is there anything in this mansion that I can do? I am tired of painting and horse riding. I want to learn some housekeeping skills like cleaning, cooking and gardening. I want to do like what the outside people are doing!

 

The maid suddenly dropped the curtains as she heard my statement. I jumped out of bed and took the curtains from the floor. I looked at the railings and back to the curtains. There was ladder right in front of me. Slowly I started to climb it with the curtain on one of my arm. Once I reached to the top, I looked down and damn it was very high. I can feel my legs shaking.

 

Butler Albert: Be careful, Young Maxel! We don’t want any trouble!

 

Jin: I am alright! But I just don’t know how to fix this thing to the top. You there, how do you do this?

 

Maid: Mr Seokjin, there are hooks on them. Just connect them to the rings at the railings!

 

Jin: Oh Ok!

 

I hook the curtains to the rings one by one. The weight is so heavy and almost strain my muscle. In addition to that, I had to keep my balance so that I would not fall. Just when I am halfway through, I couldn’t reach out for the other rings at the other end.

 

Maid: Mr Seokjin, you need to come down and move the ladder to the other side!

 

Jin: Right! I am coming down.

 

My legs are still shaking as I come down. I took a deep breath before climbing up again. Gosh! It is so tiring. I managed to fix the other end and I got big applause from the maid and Butler Albert. I feel satisfied with my hard work.

 

Butler Albert: Well done , Young Master!

 

Jin: Thank you. I was thinking perhaps I should learn more of these house chores. What do you think?

 

Butler Albert: Your father would be unhappy to hear this.

 

Jin: Nevermind him. At least I want to do something for the mansion. Please teach me everything of this mansion. I am begging you. I will practice hard for horse riding.

 

Butler Albert: If you say so but I would not hold responsible for you.

 

Jin: I will make sure I will even win the race.

 

Butler Albert: Very well indeed. I will redo your schedule. I am sure the Maxel Gallery and Mansion will be proud of you.

 

I feel so excited for the first time since I am able to do something useful in the mansion. I remember doing the garden the first thing in the morning where I got myself all dirty with the soil. I even learn the names of the plants and having patience to nurture them. The right amount of water, fertilizers and sunlight were essentials for better organic produce. I was very satisfied when we finally pluck out the vegetables and fruits to bring into the kitchen.

 

From there onwards, I learn to cook which on my first try I almost burn the kitchen down. I learn to cook all kinds of meals every week and even baked pastry (which I am still bad at it). I get the maids, the secretaries, the assistants and everyone working in the gallery to try out my food. I was grateful to receive honest feedbacks. I was even recommended to prepare the food list on the next anniversary.

 

I make a habit to clean my bedroom and not even let the maids to do for me. Sweats trickled down my face as I also washed my own bathroom. I came to realise that my place is too big. I washed and iron my clothes. Being independent can be tiring but I received such satisfaction.Since that day, I was given the nickname - ‘Mama Jin’.

 

One day, after my horse riding practice, I saw a few of my friends driving back home in their own car. I was green with envy. I wonder what it feels like to drive your own car.

 

Jin: Butler Albert, Is driving hard?

 

Butler Albert: You need to have good coordination and a sense of direction.

 

Jin: I want to drive.

 

Butler Albert: You can but I think you need to ask your father for permission.

 

Jin: Father again. Tsk. His answer would be definitely a big N.O.

 

Butler Albert: How do you know? You didn’t even try. Your father knows about you doing the house chores these few weeks and also the improvement you got in horse riding. Perhaps there might be a change of heart?

 

I made another trip to my father’s office with a heavy heart. Negative thoughts are running through my head. He will definitely disagree on the idea of me driving. I have to try at least. My first request from my father. My heart is beating faster as I nervously reached for the door.

 

Jin: Father. It is me. Can I come in?

 

Mr Maxel: Come in, my son!

 

I hear my footsteps echoed in the room as come closer to him. My father was reading the newspaper. He looked up with his reading glasses down to the tip of his nose. This must be how the other workers might have felt when they wanted to request a day off from him.

 

 

Mr Maxel: Is there a problem son? I heard you have been practising hard for the race.

 

Jin: Yes father. I mean no. There is no problem.

 

Mr Maxel: Then what do you want?

 

Jin: Actually, I want to ask for your permission. Is it fine with you if I can get a driving license?

 

Mr Maxel: Why is that?

 

Jin: Umm… Because I am jealous of my friends...

 

There was long silence between the both of us. I couldn’t read my father’s poker face. In my head, I knew he would definitely say no but in my heart, there is hope he would say yes.

 

Mr Maxel: Son, wanting to have a driving license because of jealousy isn’t a good reason.

 

My heart sank. I knew this would happen.

 

Mr Maxel: However, I heard from a lot of people that you have been independent doing the house chores and have been practising hard for the race. I will let you get a driving license.

 

My face brighten up. Is this really happening?

 

Mr Maxel: This will be a reward only if you are in the Top 3 of the race.

 

Jin: Top 3?

 

Mr Maxel: You don’t want it?

 

Jin: I want it! I will do my best to get Top 3!

 

Mr Maxel: So it is a deal then. *smile*

 

 

Everyone is preparing their horses to the starting line. I was really nervous to the limit as I heard from Butler Albert that my father is watching me from the spectators. The driving license is within my reach. I got to show my father what I am capable of.

 

??: Hey pretty boy!

 

I turned to the person calling for me. It was another racer.

 

??: You must be from the Maxel Household eh?

 

Jin: Yeah.

 

??: Your first race?

 

Jin: Yes.

 

??: Tsk. A newbie. A person from the arts who barely has no friends. Ha! Racing? No way. Let me tell you something. Racing is not for a wallflower. I will show you what racing is all about. I will see you at Top 3… from the bottom!

 

The other horse riders started to laugh along with him. I was dumbfounded. Everyone knows that I have been stuck at home and barely even goes out. Still what is their problem with me. My aim is to get a driving license. Which means I have to be top 3 so I can drive an expensive car to kiss their loser goodbye.  

 

All of the riders are in line. We waited for the countdown. I hold on to the reins of my horse. My eyes were focused on the track. In 5...4...3...2..1… the green light is shown and off we have a good start.

 

1 more lap to go. I am still behind 4 riders to reach the top 3. I just need to increase my speed and stay away from the obstacles. I tried to observe my surroundings.  There should be a gap left for me to pass through the riders. I slowed my horse’s speed for a moment and then I finally saw a way to get through the 4 riders.

 

Jin: Let's do this!

 

I begin to increase my speed and followed the course that I planned. I could hear the spectators cheering for me as they were surprised that I had passed by 3 riders. I am almost at the finishing line. The 1st and 2nd rider had made it. It is only the 3rd spot left. I charged even harder.

 

??: Oh you are not going to make it, Maxel!

 

The next moment I felt I was being flown out from my horse and I landed with bang. The last thing I could see was darkness and hear people screaming.

 

To be continued…

 

Note: Ideas are flowing out of my brain as I write this part of the story. There are plenty more to come! Please do anticipate and find out what happened. I don't want to put everything all in one chapter because it will be very long. Thank you for voting and commenting. Please do share with your fellow friends about this fanfiction if you think it is worth the read.